Soul Big Bang

Watched a documentary last night on the history of bluegrass music :lol: Not usually my cup of tea but they were talking about a 1927 recording session by the Carter Family as being the "big bang" that launched country music. Set me thinking ...... what was souls "big bang"?

Any thoughts?

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

A good question but probably one that is impossible to answer. I expect its all down to opinions unless it was researched thoroughly. For me it was hearing Barratt Strongs 'Money' plus the Isleys 'Shout' when I was young. I must admit I prefered the softer cover versions of the UK groups at the time. Regards Ade.

Social source share

Some say Ray Charles with 'What'd I Say'.

People who were there at the time say "What'd I Say" was sensational. Even people who had not heard Ray Charles's record heard a cover and knew things had moved on from Rock'n'Roll and Blues. Georgie Fame, Lonnie Donegan, Alex Harvey were all gigging in the UK then and recognised this was something different. The combination of Rock'n'Roll and gospel.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

People who were there at the time say "What'd I Say" was sensational. Even people who had not heard Ray Charles's record heard a cover and knew things had moved on from Rock'n'Roll and Blues. Georgie Fame, Lonnie Donegan, Alex Harvey were all gigging in the UK then and recognised this was something different. The combination of Rock'n'Roll and gospel.

Not to decry the undoubted achievements of Brother Ray, but Soul's big bang really happened the first time Little Willie John stepped up to the mic in King Records' studios in 1955. He was a good 3 - 4 years ahead of the rest of the pack, and is still the most important catalyst in the changeover from R & B to soul (remember, in '55 Sam Cooke was still singing gospel, and James Brown was just on the verge of releasing "Please Please Please". LWJ had astonishingly soulful R & B records out there before ither Sam or JB did).

For me, LWJ is the key to the whole of soul. Just take a listen to "Suffering With The Blues", "All Around The World", "I Need Your Love So Bad", "A Cottage For Sale" and especially his 1962 release "My Baby's In Love With Another Guy" where, against the odds of one of the corniest songs ever written and a rhythm track that the world 'different' barely begins to qualify, he turns in one of the most compellingly soulful performances ever committed to tape.

Had Willie not been banged up in 1964, and had he not died - still a young man - in prison in 1967, he would have made "actual" soul records that would have wiped the floor with those of most of his peers...

TONE :D

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

somewhere along the way - dunno from where, Godin? - I heard that this was regarded as the first Soul record, and thought it was a pretty good shout, so I've kinda thought that too..and thats All in my mind - Maxine Brown

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!