The Debonairs On Soul Click

Hello all,

Just got on the list...

I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and am wondering what anyone might know about this record - The Debonairs on Soul Click. I have never seen a copy anywhere, but noticed that there was one on ebay today... Of course, it was on one of the Millionaires Only comps, but nobody around here knows anything about a Joe Richards (the credit on the record). Doesn't seem to Major Bill Smith related or anything to do with the Bobby Patterson/Masqueraders crowd. Any insight? If so...I'll look em' up and we can share in the spoils!

Best regards,

Jason Meyer

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hello all,

Just got on the list...

I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and am wondering what anyone might know about this record - The Debonairs on Soul Click. I have never seen a copy anywhere, but noticed that there was one on ebay today... Of course, it was on one of the Millionaires Only comps, but nobody around here knows anything about a Joe Richards (the credit on the record). Doesn't seem to Major Bill Smith related or anything to do with the Bobby Patterson/Masqueraders crowd. Any insight? If so...I'll look em' up and we can share in the spoils!

Best regards,

Jason Meyer

The other side of "Please come back baby" is the A side, its called Untrue Woman and is written by Carl McDaniel.

Great piece of vinyl, first played on the UK scene in the late 80's.

Not exactly the enlightening info you were looking for, I know , hopefully someone can provide us with more in depth details..........

Social source share

Great tune,always remember Rob Marriot playin this at Blackburn.See it going for £300 to £400 depending on condition.Propper hardcore northern!!!!! :wicked:

[/Great times those were AD,

Let me know when you're next playing some tunes out locally :wicked:

Cheers,

Mark.quote]

Social source share

Great tune,always remember Rob Marriot playin this at Blackburn.See it going for £300 to £400 depending on condition.Propper hardcore northern!!!!! :wicked:

Have seen it go for around the £700 mark in recent times. What did the one on e-bay go for?

Old Keb spin covered up as the Tempos, not sure if Rob's was Keb's when Keb sold up. Like you say proper hardcore northern :wicked::wicked:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Have seen it go for around the £700 mark in recent times. What did the one on e-bay go for?

Old Keb spin covered up as the Tempos, not sure if Rob's was Keb's when Keb sold up. Like you say proper hardcore northern :wicked::wicked:

Sure Jim Wensiora first played this.

I had an old tape of stuff Keb was playing around ' 88-' 89 ish and this was on italong with others from J Wensiora's collection. Things like Jay D Bryant and Tina Roberts on Security, still c/u as Honey and the Bees.

Colin Law also got some great unknowns from that collection, Ralph Graham on Upfront was covered as Gene McDaniels for the "You had to hurt someone" side. Colin was first to play "She just sits there".

Remember Rob M telling us about him and Keb bidding against each other for Wensiora's records when he sold up. Apparently Rob was after Jay D Bryant but Keb was taking the bidding to silly extemes...the price??? About £450 if I remember corectly :wicked: .

How have changed!!!

Social source share

I had an old tape of stuff Keb was playing around ' 88-' 89 ish and this was on italong with others from J Wensiora's collection. Things like Jay D Bryant and Tina Roberts on Security, still c/u as Honey and the Bees.

Colin Law also got some great unknowns from that collection, Ralph Graham on Upfront was covered as Gene McDaniels for the "You had to hurt someone" side. Colin was first to play "She just sits there".

Remember Rob M telling us about him and Keb bidding against each other for Wensiora's records when he sold up. Apparently Rob was after Jay D Bryant but Keb was taking the bidding to silly extemes...the price??? About £450 if I remember corectly :wicked: .

How have changed!!!

I remeber keb playin JD Bryant at Allanton and announcing it as rarest soul record quickly followed by Betty Turner as a new discovery.I` m sure I made a mess in ma kegs straight after was a bit too much in one go.

Social source share

How have changed!!!

you could well be right about Jimy Wensiora first spinning Debonaires. There's a playlist of Keb's from 86 or 87 from the echoes I posted somewhere on site, Keb's Floorfillers, still listed on there as the Tempos.

I'm damn sure that at the Winding Wheel all-nighters here in Chesterfield, Colin played Ralph Graham as Tommy Navarro I think, there's an article/review of one of the Winding Wheel all-nighters with a mention of this. I'll have to dig it out and check.

Some great DJ's from North of the border back then :wicked: The Shotts, Scotland vs. England niters cracking nights :wicked:

Flyer form one attached.....

post-225-1145456823.jpeg

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Old Keb spin covered up as the Tempos, not sure if Rob's was Keb's when Keb sold up. Like you say proper hardcore northern :Dbiggrin.gif

I sold a copy on ebay mint minus for £250 only one bid - cheap I thought, but I didn't lose out on the deal either so everyone was happy - as far as I know this did turn up in some quantity not 100's but enough to bring the price down. IMO anyone looking for £700 will be waiting for a long time. wicked.gif

Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(Mike B @ Apr 19 2006, 07:29 PM) link

I sold a copy on ebay mint minus for £250 only one bid - cheap I thought, but I didn't lose out on the deal either so everyone was happy - as far as I know this did turn up in some quantity not 100's but enough to bring the price down. IMO anyone looking for £700 will be waiting for a long time. :thumbsup:

A handful turned up about 5 years ago, I seem to remember.

Sounds like someone was drunk when making it & someone was drunk when he bought it! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!