Jazz/rock Lps That Contain Hidden Killer Soul Tunes

Guest soultempo

Guest soultempo

Our scene is renowned for unearthing monster soul gems tucked away within obscure FUNK LPs.

BUT ... how often do we find 'em hidden within JAZZ / ROCK / POP LPs ??? :D

I'm sure you all have some wonderful tales & examples to share !!!

So I will immediately start the thread rolling by throwing in a couple of corkers myself.

1) PACIFIC GAS & ELECTRIC STARRING CHARLIE ALLEN LP (ABC 73 DSK-50157)

Track SUNSHINE EMBRACE (monster modern mid-pacer feat. Carl Hall & Lou Courtney vocals) :lol:

2) LEON THOMAS - BLUES AND THE SOULFUL TRUTH LP (FLYING DUTCHMAN 72 FD10155)

Track LOVE EACH OTHER (blinding modern dancer - 7" value has recently rocketed) :D

Over to you chaps ... I'm 100% sure you have some wonderful examples?

regards, Shaun.

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi Shaun

Just wanted to say thanks, got the Pacific Gas etc album about 10 minutes after hearing it on the show.

Tony

"Too Much Time" - Captain Beefheart, from his "Clear Spot" album. One of the best Southern soul tunes never to have been made in Muscle Shoals.

"I'm Glad" from the seminal Beefheart album "Safe As Milk" is a killer deep soul ballad, too. There's a fine unreleased version of the latter by Jimmy James that hopefully will be coming out sometime in the next decade...

(THE OTHER) TONE :D

Social source share

"Too Much Time" - Captain Beefheart, from his "Clear Spot" album. One of the best Southern soul tunes never to have been made in Muscle Shoals.

Haven't thought about that record for more than 30 years and I've never thought about it in a Southern soul sense. Downloading it now to relive some memories and see if you are right! But that was the track that the soul people went for. I quite liked 'Magic Be' also I remember

Social source share

Current big spin for me is Lou Rawls's "You Can't Go Home" off his At Last album that he recorded for Bluenote.

Sorry to say the rest of the album is pretty poor by Lou's usual standards but worth the purchace price for You Can't Go Home.

George Benson also features on the track so i can't understand why it don't get more plays, f#####g awesome track :D .

If your'e really lucky you might just find it on a capitol 7" but it only got released in Australia for some strange reason

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Current big spin for me is Lou Rawls's "You Can't Go Home" off his At Last album that he recorded for Bluenote.

Sorry to say the rest of the album is pretty poor by Lou's usual standards but worth the purchace price for You Can't Go Home.

George Benson also features on the track so i can't understand why it don't get more plays, f#####g awesome track :D .

If your'e really lucky you might just find it on a capitol 7" but it only got released in Australia for some strange reason

YCGH used to be a regular spin down south when "At Last" was a new release esp. at the late lamented Sidedoor Soul sessions and particularly at any night featuring (the original) London DJ Terry Davis of Record Corner fame.

You are right, it deserves a revival, and would fully merit any attention it would get. But it's a soul track from a jazzy soul abum that contains no rock music at all and thus doesn't really belong in this thread, sorreeeeeee......

TONE :D

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Haven't thought about that record for more than 30 years and I've never thought about it in a Southern soul sense. Downloading it now to relive some memories and see if you are right! But that was the track that the soul people went for. I quite liked 'Magic Be' also I remember

I used to play it "early doors" at the old Sidedoor Soul sessions in London. Nobody ever believed me when I'd tell them it was Beefheart. Actually the man is a hero of mine, so my 'discovery' of TMT wasn't entirely an accident. Whether you agreed with my assessment or not, hope you enjoyed the download!

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Our scene is renowned for unearthing monster soul gems tucked away within obscure FUNK LPs.

BUT ... how often do we find 'em hidden within JAZZ / ROCK / POP LPs ??? :D

Well if you include compilations there is Taj Mahal's version of "A lot of love" on the Rock Machine L.P. :D

Social source share

(THE OTHER) TONE :D

You are certainly right about how this is great Southern Soul. It's very strange that it had completely slipped my mind as I got the album on from the stunning wife of a deejay who ran away with me in about 1973, and when she ran back I gave it to a woman from Todmorden with the most beautiful breasts I had ever seen in the flesh.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Does Boz Scaggs Atlantic lp count? Some great Southern music, which isn't specifically soul, but is certainly very soulful, particularly "I'll Be Long Gone".

I don't agree at all that this album 'isn't specifically soul' - to me, it's one of the all time great soul albums, period. Apart from when he was briefly in the Steve Miller Band in the late 60s, I've always regarded Boz as 'one of ours' - so many of his CBS albums have maginificent examples of straight-ahead soul that it's practically impossible not to. The album he made with Johnny Bristol "Slow Dancer" is easily as good as "All The Faces Of Buddy Miles" which, of course, was also a J. Bristol enterprise....

Even though I don't agree with the "specifics" point I'm pleased to see that I'm not alone in my apprecaition of the Atlantic album. More power to ya, my friend...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I got a great version of William deVaughn's "Be thankful for what you got" on a rock LP somewhere. :D

Hi Steve - I guess you must be thinking of Arthur Lee and Love's excellent version of their RSO album "Reel to Real", no?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

You are certainly right about how this is great Southern Soul. It's very strange that it had completely slipped my mind as I got the album on from the stunning wife of a deejay who ran away with me in about 1973, and when she ran back I gave it to a woman from Todmorden with the most beautiful breasts I had ever seen in the flesh.

...A Beefheart fan with beautiful breasts. If she supported Millwall she'd be my dream woman...

Social source share

A worthy candidate for Post of the Month!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Too Much Time - Captain Beefheart

Should mention, too, that it came out on a UK Reprise single. As I'm sure some of those who've read these postings will now already know....

It's really made my week to get Beefehart AND Love mentioned on Soul Source within the same 48 hours!!!!!!

TONE whistling

Social source share

...A Beefheart fan with beautiful breasts. If she supported Millwall she'd be my dream woman...

TONE :lol:

Calm down, Tony. Sometimes the actual fantasy can be more exciting than the reality ...she'd probably turn out to be a lesbian!

whistling.gif

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Calm down, Tony. Sometimes the actual fantasy can be more exciting than the reality ...she'd probably turn out to be a lesbian!

wink.gif

Paul Mooney

Gets better by the minute, as far as I'm concerned!

TR :)

Social source share

just a few come to mind

cate brothers (where can we go)

anderson bros(picture of the lads some where on the net)

john valenti (why dont we fall in love) a record i really loved until i saw a picture of him, it then instantly sounded like a rock record

roger troy dont put the blame on me baby (brilliant)

king errison (zola) might not count

elusive by babe ruth (should not count) :)

Social source share

the don ellis underground not sure of album title but it contains a stunning version of send my baby back vacals by patti allen.

mark

the fifth avenue band on reprise track one way or the other, actually a folk band and available on single also.

mark

Edited by mark.b
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!