• Replies 121
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Gavin Page

Well remember Patchs at Stafford :shades: .. brilliant record , the lead always reminds me of Lew Kirton

Ahhh Simon was wondering where you were laugh.gif

Social source share

top man jimmy, knew him wellish, big friends with rob marriott, played some great stuff after stafford closed at the white swan, mansfield all nighters, and yes he was trying to buy a fair ground ride, or so the rumours went

he did get the rides, they were/are(?) on Thorsby Market. Simon I think said he got £30k....I heard that just for the choice stuff, rest of collection still to go after that. Maybe Rob Wigley will know bit more.

Mucky Duck, some great nights there, lethal dancefloor sad.gif

Social source share

Hi Dave,

Think Patches was first played at Steve Crofts Cleethorpes niters, 84ish ?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Dave is not claiming that Stafford played Patches first and that's fair enough, nevertheless, I think you're right in that it was played at Cleethorpes prior to being played at Stafford... for those who are interested in the "who played it first shit".

I reckon it's the dates that are slightly adrift, although Dave is simply saying it was a big record at Stafford.

You (as well as anyone) know that quite a few of the records played at the Steve Croft / Alan Senior venues of the early 80's were later acknowledged as 'Stafford Tunes' ...which is what they became, to those who first heard them there.

And that's also fair enough!

But to you & me they'll always be Clifton Hall or Cleggy records...

sad.gif

Sean

Social source share

Just to end on this note. Many records would get their first play somewhere other than a influential venue of that time. Many toones first played at Yate, where know as Wigan or Stafford tunes later. Toones that were big at Wigan, would regularly first be played in small clubs around the north west, by Dj's at wigan as a way of trying them out. It is a conversation that is circular. Wigan, Stafford, Cleethorpes, Blackpool, Yate; great clubs that made people happy, and the people that went there will have their own memories that no one can take away from them.

Dave

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Gavin, how U fellin. Yes 12" of Patches go for a fair bit, the US East Coast collectors chase it

Dave

About the same, thanks Dad.

Social source share

Hi Steve,

Dave is not claiming that Stafford played Patches first and that's fair enough, nevertheless, I think you're right in that it was played at Cleethorpes prior to being played at Stafford... for those who are interested in the "who played it first shit".

I reckon it's the dates that are slightly adrift, although Dave is simply saying it was a big record at Stafford.

You (as well as anyone) know that quite a few of the records played at the Steve Croft / Alan Senior venues of the early 80's were later acknowledged as 'Stafford Tunes' ...which is what they became, to those who first heard them there.

And that's also fair enough!

But to you & me they'll always be Clifton Hall or Cleggy records...

:shades:

Sean

I wasn't going down that route, it was as much of a question as a statement, so @ive pm'd him with pipe of peace laugh.gif

Social source share

he did get the rides, they were/are(?) on Thorsby Market. Simon I think said he got £30k....I heard that just for the choice stuff, rest of collection still to go after that. Maybe Rob Wigley will know bit more.

Mucky Duck, some great nights there, lethal dancefloor sad.gif

I heard someone grassed Jim up to the inland revenue cos he had sold more than the £6000 allowed each year is it just a rumour or true?

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Seeing as it seems to have been a popular call, did i miss :ook On the good Side at Stoke? whistling.gif

(BTW Dave, I was the muppet who interviewed you there for Scootering)

Social source share

storming instrumental by the kinnets, massive spin for dave thorley, think roger banks has it now

Know the one - Kontets? Twelve bar guitar, crashing horns led thingy blush.gif Someone posted it on here a while back didnt they?

Also Thanks Simon for MP3 Ernest Sparks, not heard in ages. One of the many Dean Anderson tunes as I remember (Guy snatched it off him and banged a cover on it in one movement using slight of hand :P )

storming instrumental by the kinnets, massive spin for dave thorley, think roger banks has it now

Know the one - Kontets? Twelve bar guitar, crashing horns led thingy :yes: Someone posted it on here a while back didnt they?

Also Thanks Simon for MP3 Ernest Sparks, not heard in ages. One of the many Dean Anderson tunes as I remember (Guy snatched it off him and banged a cover on it in one movement using slight of hand :D )

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Three more truly great Stafford sounds for me :D :

James Dockery - My Faith In You Is All Gone

Gracie Dumas - Song Of A Woman

Oscar Perry - Face Reality

sums up stafford for me perfectly,well done to you,wat about carl holmes..soul dance part 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert