Drapers - 'your Love Has Gone Away"

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Originally covered as The Drifters,  if my memory serves me right.

slightly impaired by a couple of glasses of Frascati...........

link

It was actually covered as the Three Strangers by Ady C. It's rumoured to be the Drifters???? Anyone know different, confirm?

Social source share

It was actually covered as the Three Strangers by Ady C.  It's rumoured to be the Drifters????  Anyone know different, confirm?

link

The infomation below was lifted from an article in Derek P's Shades of Soul. I don't know which issue as the cover is missing. Group members Dock Green and Tom Evans had previously been in an early incarnation of the Drifters. Along with Johnny Moore they formed the Drapers.

Moore eventually left the Drapers to sing lead with the Drifters on "Under The Boardwalk" and "Saturday Night At The Movies"

Social source share

the great site MARV GOLDBERG'S R&B NOTEBOOKS

covers all going ons in great depth with Drapers getting a mention but in a different way and at different times

full storys at the links below clip , but gets a bit confusing for me whistling.gif

Once, when the Drifters had appeared in Cleveland (probably on the first day of their big Gale Agency tour on August 6), Bill Pinkney was approached by Johnny Moore, who sang with a local group named the Hornets (James "Sonny" Long - lead, Johnny Moore - tenor, Ben Iverson - baritone, and Gus Miller - bass), that had recorded "I Can't Believe" for the States label. Moore inquired about any likely future openings with the Drifters. Nothing came of it, but the next time the Drifters played Cleveland (the Circle Theater, during Thanksgiving week, 1954, with Arthur Prysock, Annie Laurie, Wilbert Harrison, and Paul Weston's Orchestra), Moore once again approached Pinkney, auditioned, and received a call the next day to get packed for a tour of the South. The Drifters were now a quintet with two lead tenors. Little Dave would lead on the "A" sides (like "Money Honey") and Johnny would lead on the "B" sides (like "Gone" and "The Way I Feel"). Moore's hiring was actually an attempt to get Little Dave to straighten himself out.

main drifters page

https://home.att.net/~marvy42/Drifters/drifters.html

later drifters page

https://home.att.net/~uncamarvy/DriftersLat...ifterslate.html

Social source share

The Drapers appears for sale quite often, around £70 I say too. The Original Cadillacs is indeed quite good if you like the early 60's male group sound. Got a M- issue at £30 and a M- WDJ at £40 if anyone wants it. whistling.gif

Social source share

The Drapers appears for sale quite often, around £70 I say too. The Original Cadillacs is indeed quite good if you like the early 60's male group sound. Got a M- issue at £30 and a M- WDJ at £40 if anyone wants it.  whistling.gif

link

quite often indeed...I have a mint WD if anyone wants it?

Social source share

Currently $212 on e-bay, had a fair few bids too and still a few hours to go.

Was gonna have a go but per-usual, has just gone daft... <_<

The Drapers appears for sale quite often, around £70 I say too. The Original Cadillacs is indeed quite good if you like the early 60's male group sound. Got a M- issue at £30 and a M- WDJ at £40 if anyone wants it.  ph34r.gif

link

Don't know the Original Cadillacs I'm afraid... Could someone please post up a soundbite? I'd be very greatful... wink.gif

quite often indeed...I have a mint WD if anyone wants it?

A WDJ of what? the Drapers or The Original Cadillacs? If it's the Drapers, then yes I want it please. Name your price... I can offer trades too if you're interested... blink.gif

Social source share

Don't know the Original Cadillacs I'm afraid... Could someone please post up a soundbite? I'd be very greatful... 

Original Cadillacs is on one of the Soul Underground cds Mark Bicknell compiled few years ago. First heard this spun coverewd up by Steve Smith late 80's early 90's. I've got the cd somewhere will have a root round and post if Mike or Mark don't mind.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!