The Supremes

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Guest WPaulVanDyk

As talked about Glady's Knight and Martha Reeves, i thought how about the Supremes as they my fav Motown act i wondered what you all think and what are you fav tracks by them my personal fav's are

1. Just a Little Misunderstanding 2. Baby I Need Your Loving 3. He's All I Got 4. Everything's Good About You

Social source share

• Replies 60
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

As talked about Glady's Knight and Martha Reeves, i thought how about the Supremes as they my fav Motown act i wondered what you all think and what are you fav tracks by them my personal fav's are

1. Just a Little Misunderstanding 2. Baby I Need Your Loving 3. He's All I Got 4. Everything's Good About You

"Stormy" is one of my fav Supremes tunes

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

My fave is on the 10 years of Motown 5 LP Box set.

It is a recording of the final live song they performed with Diana as lead.

Someday We'll be together.

Although I like the Supremes, this is IMO their only really soulful recording.

Social source share

Dr Clubfoot & his bikini machine,or whatever its called :( as gotta` be they`re most sought-after,and they`re worst record by far :( ,and the CD "stormy" comes off as got lots of cool unissued stuff on it :yes: with a couple of duffers on just for ballance :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky
Dr Clubfoot & his bikini machine,or whatever its called :( as gotta` be they`re most sought-after,and they`re worst record by far :( ,and the CD "stormy" comes off as got lots of cool unissued stuff on it :yes: with a couple of duffers on just for ballance :thumbsup:
ken I can't agree with you about the CD that Stormy come off it's crap, bought it when it came out with high expectations and bar a couple of tracks it's all show business. Even Stormy doesn't come anywhere near their hits, and generally their best sides were on the flip sides to the hits. :(:yes: Edited by Netspeaky
Social source share

ken I can't agree with you about the CD that Stormy come off it's crap, bought it when it came out with high expectations and bar a couple of tracks it's all show business. Even Stormy doesn't come anywhere near their hits, and generally their best sides were on the flip sides to the hits. :thumbsup::yes:

I would say 50/50 show songs/half decent............... :(

Social source share

...think it was "Dr Goldrain and his bikini fetish........"

........or something like that :thumbsup:

:( Ask Keb,after all it was one of his worst finds......... :yes:

Edited by ken
Social source share

What about . I hear a symphony or the inst by Carmel strings

Steve

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

will this be the day and he's my sunny boy

one of the funniest things i ever heard was when someone described diana ross as a spunkbucket hahahaha

Davie

Social source share

Is this the same song as the one by Al Kent? If so any chance of a soundclip?

No its not the same. Its an uptempo dancer released 1975 (i think) and a flop at the time, but a really top sound.

Sorry cant oblige with a soundclip. Anyone help here?

Gaz.

Social source share

They should have stayed as the Primettes as they all got a chance on lead vocal; DR's voice is too nasal fro my liking. Their best recording is Love Is Like An Itching', one of the best songs ever written, but should have been given to someone else. However, turn it over and you'll find their best record 'He's All I Got' fooking fantastic.

Thier version of the Bea's 'Dr Goldfoot & The Bikini Machine' is OK, for the film of same title.

Must admit I do like 'When The Lovelight Starts Shining'. Plus their versions of 'Shake ME, Wake Me' & 'Just A Little Misunderstanding.

Social source share

Although I like the Supremes, this is IMO their only really soulful recording.

different strokes for different folks and i respect your opinion, but i'm sure people would be chasing many of their 45's if they hadn't been such big hits and not saying things like this. many peoples views are tainted by the 'diana ross was a shit to florence ballard' opinion as well, which may or may not be true, it probably is.

some of the b-sides are worth it on their own, 'precious little things', 'you've been so wonderful to me'. If post-Diana 'stoned love' was an unreleased acetate it would be worth £1,000's, and 'come into my life' is a great disco/rare groove record, or are we not including the mary wilson/cindy birdsong/jean terrell/susaye greene eras?

they suffer from being so popular and the fact that everyone knows 'baby love' and thinks it's the epitome of soul, when it's clearly not. one of the least inspiring 'supremes' records i've had the misfortune to suffer is that awful 'back by popular demand' motorcity insipid monstrosity that got a few plays, i always thought it as strange that only that and 'stormy' (presumably because it was unreleased) ever seemed to get spun. i remember playing 'some things you never get used to' at the end of a northern do yonks ago and the place erupted, it is the funk brothers playing the music after all. mind you, most people were on their 8th pint by then, which might have had something to do with it... :thumbsup:

cheers Sutty :thumbsup:

Social source share

I play "standing at the crossroads" out,allways gets good reaction
:thumbsup:
worth about 2p,but great slab of soul

"Long gone lover" only available on 45 as B side to ''Come see about me" Dutch 45.

Gone for over 80 quid on Manship's auction.

Have a spare pic sleeve for 20 quid (mint)

PM me or ask Ken......knew there was a reason for quoting 'im

Cheer's Paul Woosnam.

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

Love Is Like An Itching .... fantastic. Just close your eyes and picture them chains wrapped around the drums.

On a kind of related note, Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye - My Mistake does it for me.

Phil

What about the B side of Love is like an itching, He's all i got .top tune around West Midlands oldies do's

Ted

Social source share

I play "standing at the crossroads" out,allways gets good reaction :yes: worth about 2p,but great slab of soul :yes:

For them that dont know it;,the Supremes,Motown 1051 USA.

:yes:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

"Come See About Me". One of the five best Motown records ever in my book, and that's a pretty big book of course. Other than that:

I'm Giving You Your Freedom

Going Down For The Third Time

Nothing But Heartaches

There's No Stopping Us Now

Back In My Arms Again

Run Run Run

Buttered Popcorn

Mother Dear

Where Did Our Love Go (still a fantastic record, no matter how big of a hit it was)

and just about all of those mentioned above, I suppose!

TONE :yes:

Social source share

Come See About Me and Theres No Stopping Us Now would be mega on the scene if rare. Just because a record is a hit or is played a lot doesn't take one iota of the quality away. Quality lasts, rarity doesn't. Like it or not some of the big Motown hits are absolute quality.

Can you imagine This Old Heart of Mine by the Isleys being discovered for the first time today. How big would that be?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Come See About Me and Theres No Stopping Us Now would be mega on the scene if rare. Just because a record is a hit or is played a lot doesn't take one iota of the quality away. Quality lasts, rarity doesn't. Like it or not some of the big Motown hits are absolute quality.

Can you imagine This Old Heart of Mine by the Isleys being discovered for the first time today. How big would that be?

Couldn't agree with you more - they are indeed 'absolute quality'. I've always felt like that about the Bandwagon's "Breaking Down The Walls Of Heartache", too - imagine, if it hadn't had the sheer audacity to become a UK Top 20 hit, the kind of money that it would have changed hands for down the years!

It's just a shame that so many people out there (on here?) would still rather pay huge prices for rare records that sound like Motown, without ever purchasing even one of the great Motown records that those records strove to emulate. Don't get me wrong, I've been known to splurge on a rarity or several down the years (and I still do) but my life and collection would not be complete without pretty much all of the biggest US Motown hits of the 60s. OK, sure, I could live without "Baby Love" but there are few better feelings in the world than having the house to yourself for a couple of hours, cranking up the volume on the amp to near distortion level and letting rip with "Nothing But Heartaches", "Beauty Is Only Skin Deep", "Too Many Fish In the Sea", "(Come Round Here) I'm The One You Need", "I'll Be Doggone" etc.

I'll be playing them and enjoying them till the day I die.

TONE :yes:

Social source share

"Come See About Me". One of the five best Motown records ever in my book, and that's a pretty big book of course. Other than that:

I'm Giving You Your Freedom

Going Down For The Third Time

Nothing But Heartaches

There's No Stopping Us Now

Back In My Arms Again

Run Run Run

Buttered Popcorn

Mother Dear

Where Did Our Love Go (still a fantastic record, no matter how big of a hit it was)

and just about all of those mentioned above, I suppose!

TONE :)

Worked on a kiddies' fairground ride when I was about 15 and our 'sounds' were either a Supremes reel to reel that included Buttered Pop Corn ( would that have been their first album?) or a Frankie Lane tape with Jezebel on it. Always felt jealous of the folk on the roller coaster that had 'Some Things You Never get Used To' and loads of other more modern stuff.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Kiss of fire, Remove this doubt and The beginning of the end get my vote.

:shades:

Ali

How could I have missed "Remove This Doubt" from my list? Or the best 'solo' D.Ross Supremes track, "The Composer".....

TONE whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest janey

My fave Supremes choons are....

Stormy

Come See About Me

Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart

Any Girl In Love(Knows What I'm Going Through)

Love Child

Janey sad.gif

Social source share

• 3 months later...
Guest bleusuperb

A lot of my friends are of the opinion that there is a lot of snobbery amongst those who are into Northern soul, the need for soulies to dismiss any tune or artist that had the audacity to have chart success does rather reinforce this point of view.

I love the music and the whole scene but if the tune is good enough, then play it out, I don,t care if it was No1 in the charts in the sixties or whenever, if its soul and its good then play it. As was posted earlier The Supremes made many wonderful tracks but are dismissed because many people, not just soulies, liked the music and it therefore became popular. Yes POPULAR, but that does not make it "pop" in the disparaging sense which many soul fans dismiss it.

Edited by bleusuperb
Social source share

im rather partial to TAKE ME WHERE YOU GO--unreleased me thnks--------jo

Not quite true - it was released on the "From the vaults" LP in 1979 - which contains the Spinners goodie "What more could a boy ask for", but later sneaked out on a UK 45 as the flip side to "The composer" on TMG 999 in 1985 thumbsup.gif

But I understand there was another mix of the song on that CD Box set from 2000 along with another mix of "Stormy" - not having heard these versions I can't compare them :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Simon

I like just about everything by them including 'Baby love' which still sounds big & fantastic over a soundsystem in a club.

Play a fair few Supremes tracks every month at 'Da Doo Ron Ron', current spins are:

Nothing but heartaches, Run Run Run, Baby Love, Stop! in the name of love, Love is here & now you're gone, You can't hurrry love, Come see about me, Love child, Time changes things et al

Simon

Social source share

[quote name='BrianB' date='Apr 24 2006, 07:27 AM' post='282936'

Social source share

2 LP tracks for your consideration

"Money"

&

"Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart"

Two crackers that are rarely played out, but then I loves Motown and will probably air them out at Heywood next week.

(It's me birthday by the way :P:P:( )

Tony

Can't wack The Temptaions though, eh Tone? :D

Happy Birthday btw :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!