Bobby Womack - Harry Hippie

Social source share

• Replies 84
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

... the Christmas carol "Silent Night", sung by anyone at all, and also "Lullaby Of Broadway" from the movie "Gold Diggers Of 1933" (or maybe '32 - anyway, it's sung by Winifred Shaw and I always well up when the tap dancing bit comes in halfway through. These two songs easily reduce me to a blubbering heap, and I have had to flee crowded rooms before now at Christmastime when "S. Night" is sung on any TV programme, just to keep my emotions in check...

I

TONE

Tone

I feel the same way about Silent Night. Have you ever heard it sung in German? Stille Nacht. It's sounds wonderful.

There's a story about the temporary armistice that used to take place during the 1914-18 war on Christmas Day. At one God forsaken battle ground, The Brits started singing Silent Night and the Germans joined in from their trenches singing in German - each trying to doutdo the other. It ended with a game of soccer between the two enemies in no-man's land.

Next day, it was carnage as usual.

Colin

Social source share

Played this one for me gran just after she died at a Wilton doo

'I'll never forget you' Nolan Chance. God rest Big O :lol:

Are you Big Scotty, that whistled and clapped?

If so hello - not seen you for a long time so hope you and yours are well :lol:

Social source share

Sean , You are going to love Tony Troutman - I Really Love You.

Hi Bull,

I received the CD and I've already got the Tony Troutman track but on my copy I'm sure it's called "I Truly Love You" so you threw me there!

Got all the other material on the CD too but a truly wonderful compilation nontheless me old Bullmeister.

your taste is improving with age!

Time you made a visit to the Basement too!

Cheers

Sean

Social source share

Guest biggles

I know this might be an obvious one but I kind of have to be careful whos around when I hear "Time will pass you by".....I just fill up every time, a truly beautiful record......... :ohmy:

Social source share

Forgive me Folks I think my answer should have been Barbara Mc Nair?? Not ronnie

Doug Is that right???

Mand :O))) Daft tart :ohmy:

not so much of the daft tart

anyone could be blind

and Mix up a Current 4 Top and a classic Female Singer as one and the same

Mcneir or Mcnair

Shame on you

all our love

Sweetsoul

next May guest Andy Dyson

love Doug

:ohmy::unsure:

Social source share

Guest 2648 W Grand Boulevard

The Winstons "Colour him father" and The Temptations "Since I lost my baby" make me go quiet and thoughtful. However I cant ever listen to "Why" by the Eurythmics without wiping a tear away as that was playing a lot when I lost my mum in a car crash 12 years ago :rolleyes: .

Social source share

Guest StoneSoul45

I was waiting for my lady to come out of the dry cleaners today when "I STILL LOVE YOU" the Seven Souls came on the mixtape. Naturally I cranked it allllll the way!!! when the lady returned I tried to pass it off as cigarette smoke in the eyes. christ, is that not theee best shit ever?! Whoever the lead on it is has me totally convinced that he really does still love somebody.

others that get me-

The Ceasers - Desperate For Your Affection

Carolyn Crawford - My Smile Is Just A Frown Turned Upside Down

Lee Williams & The Cymbals - I Love You More

Ray Pollard - The Drifter [ever feel that crushing isolation?]

Tobi Clark - Time Will Pass You By [cuz man, it sure will pass you right on by]

Joann Garrett - Stay By My Side

The Voices - Forever Is A Long Long Time

etc etc etc.

Social source share

Almeta Latimore did it for me, just back from a nighter and long weekend, feeling "fragile", recently split from a girlfriend, put Almeta on the deck, talk about heart rending she really tore me up, cried my bloody eyes out, but it felt good too, if you know what I mean?

Social source share

Almeta Latimore did it for me, just back from a nighter and long weekend, feeling "fragile", recently split from a girlfriend, put Almeta on the deck, talk about heart rending she really tore me up, cried my bloody eyes out, but it felt good too, if you know what I mean?

Carl Weathers " You Ought To Be With Me "

Social source share

i'm sure i responded to a thread of a similar nature a few years back on the old a.n.s. but hey it's a new day :thumbsup:

i must admit there are songs with far more slushy and sentimental lyrics than my choices, but these do it for me.

idol few- people that's why..it's just beautiful and one man standing alone.

edwin starr - my sweet lord.... i played it on a radio show last year and had to play sveral tracks after without speaking, so i could compose myself, it does me every time

Social source share

Hi there,

wondered which songs touch people so much that the tears well up, or you get that tingle up and down the spine. Or songs that relate to certain times in their lives/ or relationships..............i'm sure everyone has them????

for me Gabrielles song Out of Reach starts me off....if it comes on the radio i have to either switch off or walk out of the room. Reminds me of a relationship that went sour 6 years ago. The woman concerned left me and i haven't seen her since...............4_9_9.gif

The Phantom .........Come back to me.......Karisma.......... think of my dear departed Dad .......

Northern-wise for me as follows..........

..................... You Satisfy my Needs-Dee Irwin

No Rest For the Worried-Clarence Williams

Hey You-Montclairs

Showstopper-Cashmeres

Hurt So Bad/Call Me The Joker-Little Annthony and Imperials

I Do Love You-Billy Stewart

Number Onederful-Jay and Techniques

Carl whistling.gif

Social source share

gotta be Sam Cooke - A Change Gonna Come wot a song ranting_1.gif

When you put this recording into the context of the times in the USA, and the struggles the black people were going through, this has to stand out as THE most meaningful record of all the ones we have posted here.

Social source share

Guest southpaw

Hi all,

A couple of tracks that are doing it for me at the moment

Jimmy Bo Horn - I just cant speak

Barbara Lynn - Your losing me

Carl Carlton - I can feel it

Edited by southpaw
Social source share

There are only 4 sounds that do it for me:

Crazy - Patsy Cline my wife sung this to me once and then in front of a crowd of people at our wedding reception to fcuking awesome for words!!!!

How do you mend a broken heart - Al Green OMG!!!!

Ruby Andrews - Just loving you Goosebumps and tears!!!!

Youll never find another love like mine - Lou Rawls from the time i split with a girl who was my first love even after 30 years it still brings tears to my eyes!!

Social source share

Guest fuzzyjon

For me it's gotta be "Lonely People Can Afford To Cry" by Clyde McPhatter on Amy.... the horn bit on the middle 8 is SO SO mournful.... gets me every time!

Oh, and probably most things by Roy Hamilton too..... Dark End Of The Street in particular....

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi there,

wondered which songs touch people so much that the tears well up, or you get that tingle up and down the spine. Or songs that relate to certain times in their lives/ or relationships..............i'm sure everyone has them????

for me Gabrielles song Out of Reach starts me off....if it comes on the radio i have to either switch off or walk out of the room. Reminds me of a relationship that went sour 6 years ago. The woman concerned left me and i haven't seen her since...............4_9_9.gif

Northern-wise for me as follows..........

..................... You Satisfy my Needs-Dee Irwin

No Rest For the Worried-Clarence Williams

Hey You-Montclairs

Showstopper-Cashmeres

Hurt So Bad/Call Me The Joker-Little Annthony and Imperials

I Do Love You-Billy Stewart

Number Onederful-Jay and Techniques

Carl :thumbsup:

Also ........Gene Chandler - the girl don't Care

Chuck Jackson - i Wake Up Crying......there is also a better veriosn of this...had it once on a southern soul compilation lp, but can't for the life of me remember who it's by....can anyone help????????????????????

C :lol:

Social source share

Guest Kitchengroove

Chuck Jackson - i Wake Up Crying......there is also a better veriosn of this...had it once on a southern soul compilation lp, but can't for the life of me remember who it's by....can anyone help????????????????????

C :thumbsup:

possibly Bobby Powell a great version

for me it has to be "someday we'll all be free" Donny Hathaway especially when listening to the "Extensions of a man" LP. There's a different instrumental break on the Greatest Hit's album.

I often wonder if he wrote the song with his future in mind.

Social source share

Guest Kitchengroove

Carl Weathers "You Ought To Be With Me"

All to die for.

Sean Hampsey

Any chance of an MP3 on this one, it's been recomended too many times to go unheard by my ears.

and all of your list is quality so I don't want to miss out.

Social source share

Guest markmtfc

Drifter Ray Pollard, one of shippos favs from Nottingham, sadly no longer with us, and Bobby paris, I walked away

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!