Going Big.....what Will Be Next?

We have probably had threads like this before but i was thinking about the Pat and the Blenders record going for silly money....and everyone saying its crazy...so what do you think the next record to go through the roof is?

A few rules; it cant be a mega-rarity, it must be known or semi-known and currently available for less than £30.........I`m thinking about the next Betty Swan, Ace Spectrum, David Ruffin kinda thing........

Chris

Social source share

• Replies 246
  • Views 19.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

We have probably had threads like this before but i was thinking about the Pat and the Blenders record going for silly money....and everyone saying its crazy...so what do you think the next record to go through the roof is?

A few rules; it cant be a mega-rarity, it must be known or semi-known and currently available for less than £30.........I`m thinking about the next Betty Swan, Ace Spectrum, David Ruffin kinda thing........

Chris

I've been spinning Betty Swann - Lonely love, to a great responce lately!

Reckon now the Royal Five - Dont stop has got a release that could take off quite abit, how ever dont think any of them will go for silly money whistling.gif

Social source share

Is that the same Blenders that sang Don't f*** Around With Love?

play around with TNT, mess around with the hungry bear, grab a tiger by the hair, when you say I Love You, make sure each word is true....
Edited by Soulbag
Social source share

Lou Rawls featuring George Benson - You Can't Go Home

Sounds better every time i play it, just grows & grows.

Fairly common on Lou's At Last album on Bluenote but rarer than you think on a 7", only got released in Australia on capitol.

If you see it just buy it, you won't be sorry...

Social source share

Trapped In A Love - Barrino Brothers on Invictus ??????

Barry Cooper

Barrowby Soul last Saturday of the month April 29th guest Sam Evans

Social source share

Barry, Been big for well over a year around here...and you wont get a copy for under £30 mate...good effort though, thats the kinda thing I`m talking about...whats the next one??????

Chris

Chris, got mine 18 months ago for £15 - thought I was the only one that liked it around these parts (East Midlands)

Barry

Social source share

Don't know if this will go but should be given a chance as it's very overlooked.

Derrick Harriot - I Won't Cry on Blue Beat. Nice Jamaican R&B, very very soulful, has a nice dance pace and there can't be that many of them around in good nick as the words Blue Beat and mint condition don't normally go together. Also it's a b side. Personally I think it's so much better than Feel So Bad by Jackie Edwards. Please don't be put off by the fact that it's on Blue Beat as it sounds nothing like Ska.

I did post this in the sound gallery on here but I don't think it's up and running again yet

Edited by richard
Social source share

RAY ALGERE / IN MY CORNER / TOU-SEA (got spins @ shotts/stafford,long forgotten now,hear it on manships.30quid).

MAJOR LANCE / DONT YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU / CONTEMPO (sounds like jocky wilson,because of you soundalike 20 @ the mo)

thats all im giving away for now thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Been playing out Bump Ball by the Combinations on RCA at Amlwch/Monkey Do's, been causing a little action, under £30 at moment could see going higher. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

seb williams gets my vote too

what about ernie johnson big man cry? fairly easy to get for £30, but for how much longer?

Social source share

Ernie Johnson will go up for sure...seems to be a lot of people asking about it already. I had a nice tune thru the door this morning that falls into this catagory Patti Drew "Stop and listen", I`ve been spinning this on and off for a couple of years and now it seems to be getting the recognition it deserves......just about £30......sorry this one is already sold!

Chris

Social source share

Guest uroffal

One that I've always thought deserves recognition - and can still be obtained for less than £30 despite being tricky to find - is Ricky Lewis - Someone To Love Tonight - Mercury.

Was played at Stafford I think as Eric Mercury c/u (?)

Will post a soundfile later

Social source share

loved that seb williams when i had it,wasnt the other side good aswell?.got mine when tim brown got copies of all the ovide stuff off the label owner,few years bak.

lucky i got ernie johnson out of ted masseys sales box for 5pounds @ a stoke soul nite 6year bak(only cause weston told me to buy it,cheers john)

i use to play the patti drew 1 in the mid 90s.think podge playd it in dundee @ the sme time.sold it but have heard it out @ a few venues lately.how cum tracks sound better when some1 else plays them.

we were also playin the lovemakers 2 years ago up here in aberdeen.thanks to tubs for gettin every1 copies @ under a tenner each. :D

my tip is still RAY ALGERE / IN MY CORNER / TOU-SEA have a listen on manships,60s newie @ its best

Social source share

Ernie Johnson will go up for sure...seems to be a lot of people asking about it already. I had a nice tune thru the door this morning that falls into this catagory Patti Drew "Stop and listen", I`ve been spinning this on and off for a couple of years and now it seems to be getting the recognition it deserves......just about £30......sorry this one is already sold!

Chris

Both 'featured' spins at the Orwell these two goodies...........to add to the thread through I'va always rated Les Watson 'Soul Man Blues' on Pompei. It got quite a few looks on the deck last Sunday and still sounds rather good........Ready to go? I think so!

Social source share

Guest Dodger

What actually IS it that makes a relatively common or cheap tune suddenly shoot up in price? It it a gradual thing where lots of DJ's and venues get behind it and the scene and their dog wants a copy, or is it for instance if one of the 'big lads' start playing it? Take for instance Big Man Cry - I bought this off Flanny 10 years ago for a tenner and it's always been a great record, but say Butch or Sam or whoever started to hammer it, is this point at which a record like this starts to 'take off' and shoot up in value because of the 'if he's playing it I HAVE to have it' way of thinking? Or are there other factors involved? Serious question becuase this has always both interested me and puzzled me.

Roger

Social source share

Always liked Barrino Brothers (was shocked to see it on a list recently at £75 - coughs), Eighth Day, Sebastian Williams & Ricky Lewis (Baz Wadd was always sorta credited with finding this).

Championship Promotion Contenders - all relatively well known, all have got spins in the past (gasp shock even I've played them out) and all under £100 (struth I say that as though its cheap and a bargain!).

Carl Hall "Mean it baby" Loma (only on the issues, the WDJs are double sided).

Bobby Taylor "Roses somewhere" Sunflower.

But the best cheapie has to be Al Wilson "You did it for me" on Playboy.

derek

Social source share

My long time champion:

We Live In The Ghetto - Four Voices

Maybe not 30, perhaps 40 quid....

======

well ill be plugging the 3 degrees - what i see on Neptune

Great little record...u watch the price jump..................

from £6 to a tenner...u watch.................

Social source share

Guest uroffal

What actually IS it that makes a relatively common or cheap tune suddenly shoot up in price? It it a gradual thing where lots of DJ's and venues get behind it and the scene and their dog wants a copy, or is it for instance if one of the 'big lads' start playing it? Take for instance Big Man Cry - I bought this off Flanny 10 years ago for a tenner and it's always been a great record, but say Butch or Sam or whoever started to hammer it, is this point at which a record like this starts to 'take off' and shoot up in value because of the 'if he's playing it I HAVE to have it' way of thinking? Or are there other factors involved? Serious question becuase this has always both interested me and puzzled me.

Roger

Probably both ... although the large increase in prices and demand seem to occur when one of the big DJs pick up on something, Stratoliners on Federal being a a good example: was 'known' as far back as '82/3 (covered as Fabulous Four - My, My Baby although received little turntable action) and has never been more than £20 - £30, since Butch has been playing it you can't get a copy for less than £150.

Social source share

Roger

I think it is exactly that! A "name" DJ starts playing something and all of a sudden everyone "has" to have one.

An example: Dave Rimmer was looking through my sales box a few years ago and spotted The Casualeers - Dance, Dance, Dance (on demo) which I had at 20. It had been there for about a year at 20. Dave says "always wanted a copy of that and never picked one up, think I'll play it next time out" That's nice I thought, always like to see someone pick up a record they really like.

6 months later they are changing hands at 200 dollars on eBay :angry: :yes::yes::P

Same thing with Brown Sugar - The Game is Over, I heard Shifty play this and told Jo Wallace I thought it was pants. She who is wiser than me tells me that I should pick up a couple of copies if I see them, so I do (2 issues & a demo for 6 dollars each) and hey presto it goes massive about 6 months later after a few other DJ's start playing it. Still got the demo but sold the issues for about 40 thinking I had done well, they turn up on lists now at up to 125 (How Much!?! as they say round here). Its grown on me but I still don't really like it that much.

It's probably rarer than Ace Spectrum but not really that rare, and this seems to be a common theme, most of these records that go massive for a short time are not very rare at all - e.g. Betty Swann - Kiss My Ar** Goodbye. I sold someone a copy of that for 120 after they contacted me and asked for one, they told me that dealers had told them they wouldn't get a copy for less than 200 quid :P , can you shift them for more than 40 these days? I've had 4 without really trying. Bobby Day? On eBay every week, I have no idea what the current over priced big tunes are as I haven't been out for 3 years due to running my Pub, but I'm sure there are some similar examples.

I wish someone would start pushing The Temptations - Loneliness Made Me Realise (It's You That I Need), its a great tune but I have about 8 of them, so that's my tip :lol::lol:

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/The_Temptat...That_I_Need.ram

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paultp
Social source share

Chris, got mine 18 months ago for £15 - thought I was the only one that liked it around these parts (East Midlands)

Barry

Barry did you buy it up at Pilsley.

What about---

JOE TEX - ALL THE WOMAN A MAN REALLY NEEDS - DIAL

LITTLE SHERMAN - THE PRICE OF LOVE - ABC

GENE AND JERRY - YOU JUST CAN'T WIN

JOE MURPHY - SO BLUE - VIVID

CURTIS BLANDON - MR IMAGINATION - PORT

TONY AND LYNN - I'M HIP TO YOU - BLUE ROCK

Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

What about---

joe tex & little sherman both excellent tracks........................... :yes:

Social source share

Imperial Wonders-Just A Dream DAY WOOD superb!

Was after this about 6 months ago, and picked one up for a reasonable price. Especially considering I was given prices ranging from 40.00-150.00 UK!

-Mike

Social source share

What about---

Played it once at Pilsley is now the time to play it again ?

Come on u reds glad I still got my season ticket now in the play-offs we gotta stay there.

Barry

Social source share

Imperial Wonders-Just A Dream DAY WOOD superb!

Was after this about 6 months ago, and picked one up for a reasonable price. Especially considering I was given prices ranging from 40.00-150.00 UK!

-Mike

[/my m8 has had a copy off this 4 years now,i nearly bot off him.he wanted 75 at the time.thot it was a bit pricey at the time.it was on a green label.seen 1 on ebay last month.think it was buy now for $75?.it was on a yellow label.you know the difference?.nice tune.should of bot to go with my jan jones(which he sold me last year for 60quid)quote]

Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

Copper and Brass Does anybody know what time it really is ? on Amazon . Saw a white demo for £15 the other day.

Social source share

Soul-Slider said:
Jimmy Steward Jr. - Convince Me - Coral

This is in-demand at the moment....it's definitely making waves and several of my buddies are after it. It's so catchy R&B,

Here's a great female version of the flipside of the Jimmie Steward:

IRENE_REID___YOU_AIN_T_WOMAN_ENOUGH__VERVE_10452_DEMO

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!