• Replies 246
  • Views 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Awake 502

I always thought The Spinners - Can't Shake the Feeling would take off sometime. From the same era as I Just Want to Fall in Love, but more Northern and much better in my opinion.

Alan

Used to get lots of plays at Cleethorpes early 80's from myself and Mr Hampsey :yes:

Social source share

Used to get lots of plays at Cleethorpes early 80's from myself and Mr Hampsey :yes:

kin' marvelous. followed by 4 tops - let me set you free. Whispers - gonna love you more. Blackjack. LTD - you must have known I need love. Holdin' back , by what's his name on Merlin? Dramatics- I can't stand it.

Social source share

How about Originals of Sight And Sound - Long Boots on JJI as a contender?. There was a few of these around at one point selling for around £20 but now seem to have dried up

Or how about Eugene Pitt - Every Day Is Like A Year on Beltone? quite a nice end of the night type of tune

https://www.geocities.com/juansweetbeat/EugenePitt.rm

Edited by richard
Social source share

Whispers - gonna love you more. LTD - you must have known I need love. Dramatics- I can't stand it. Ruby Winters - The Feelings Still There.

Uncanny Simon, I was only thinking about those this morning following on from your mention of Annis. They were all big Cleggy records that have never (hardly ever) been played out since, but how they rocked the place at the time!

Good n' cheap, readily available records that had the right tempo and Soulful content. It was all going so well... before the scene went retro and rarity became the only thing that mattered!!

As a wind up (and a big finger to the Rare Soul brigade) I used to play the Whispers covered up as LEON & THE WHISPERS. Sam would break his neck to find out what it was and I'd just say. "Like it says on the label, its by The Whispers". He wanted it badly... until he found out that it actually was the Whispers.

:):yes::yes:

Meanwhile, I picked up a great looking 10" Capitol Acetate of this "LP only" track which must be shit rare! :yes:

Good times.

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

kin' marvelous. followed by 4 tops - let me set you free. Whispers - gonna love you more. Blackjack. LTD - you must have known I need love. Holdin' back , by what's his name on Merlin? Dramatics- I can't stand it.

"Hold on" / High Fashion

"My kinda girl" / Mandrill

"Any love" / Rufus

"I'm not ready" / Ujima

"Take it to the limit" / Norman Conners

"Lady in Red / Ronnie Dyson

All big Cleggy records that went down a storm at the time....

As a wind up (and a big finger to the Rare Soul brigade) I used to play the Whispers covered up as LEON & THE WHISPERS. Sam would break his neck to find out what it was and I'd just say. "Like it says on the label, its by The Whispers". He wanted it badly... until he found out that it actually was the Whispers.

:):yes::yes:

Meanwhile, I picked up a great looking 10" Capitol Acetate of this "LP only" track which must be shit rare! :yes:

Good times.

Sean Hampsey

Found a 7" of this many years ago, with the intro as well....

post-1832-1145876137.jpg

Social source share

Guest sydney bridge
love the dramatics lost mine :lol::yes::yes::yes::):)
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

The next big tune could well be:

The Continental Four "The Way I Love You" Jay walking

Or...

The Perfections "Girl You Better Hurry" Tri City

Both meet the criteria I reckon... readily available, under exposed and primed for the big time!

Buy now while stocks last.

:)

Sean Hampsey

I agree 2 top tunes, picked up first issue of The Continental Four "The Way I Love You" Jay Walking at Winsford on Saturday for £20, but I left a second issue there at £15. Paid 10p for the Perfections way back in the 70's. :)
Social source share

Guest rachel

I agree 2 top tunes, picked up first issue of The Continental Four "The Way I Love You" Jay Walking at Winsford on Saturday for £20, but I left a second issue there at £15. Paid 10p for the Perfections way back in the 70's. :)

Wouldn't have said 'The Way I Love You' was under exposed really? :)

Social source share

We have probably had threads like this before but i was thinking about the Pat and the Blenders record going for silly money....and everyone saying its crazy...so what do you think the next record to go through the roof is?

A few rules; it cant be a mega-rarity, it must be known or semi-known and currently available for less than £30.........I`m thinking about the next Betty Swan, Ace Spectrum, David Ruffin kinda thing........

Chris

A damned fine uptempo 60's tune, gaining recognition by dj's & collectors and rising in price (up to around £30?) is the fantastic "MISS TREATMENT" - THE INCREDIBLES - AUDIO ARTS, highly recommended. Also, their other outing on the label, "CAN'T GET OVER LOSING YOUR LOVE" has huge potential too.
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Wouldn't have said 'The Way I Love You' was under exposed really? :)
Rachel, It depends on what you mean by exposure, quite a lot of the tunes being mention here will be quite popular in a particular club/area, but to become BIG it has to have national acceptance. I've seen DJ's including myself play a successful Local tune elsewhere and clear the floor, I think the test is when you can play it anywhere and know you will fill the floor with it.

Ace Spectrum/The Game Is Over/Party Time Man come to mind,

I think you will find that the price if it's goes national far exceeds it's true value. :)

Social source share

Guest rachel

Rachel, It depends on what you mean by exposure, quite a lot of the tunes being mention here will be quite popular in a particular club/area, but to become BIG it has to have national acceptance. I've seen DJ's including myself play a successful Local tune elsewhere and clear the floor, I think the test is when you can play it anywhere and know you will fill the floor with it.

I think you will find that the price if it's goes national far exceeds it's true value. :)

Yeah I guess so, have heard it quite a bit personally and seen it on a lot of playlists, but it does still seem to be at a 'sensible' price.

Social source share

As did the JOHNSON FAMILY - PEACE IN THE FAMILY which was picked up on, by Steve P, who will/has turned it into a monster !

Hi Shaun

Sean from Morecambe asked me to get him a copy (He told me it was a tip from your good self). I was lucky enough to get two copies, one for him and one for me. Best tenner i ever spent i reckon. Easily the best 70's record i've heard for years. Have played it in every set i've done since. Fantastic record that surely must go all the way once copies turn up. The problem is, it is actually pretty tough cos it's Canadian only...........maybe the next Norris Vines :):)wink.gif

Some other great stuff on that list too!

On a similar thread, we recently discussed the possibilty of having an 'under £20' night at The Orwell. The amount of people who said they support a gig like that was very encouraging. We're looking to put one on real soon.

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

On a similar note, a record that I've got and that I've never heard out :) , but I think would sound great over a big system and could therefore go big. I think it's currently about £20-£25. :)

The Volumes - My Kind Of Girl (Inferno)

So much better than it's price tag !! yes.gif I played it at Worcs Uni but not many danced to it. Mind you it was early & we were having trouble turning the computorised lighting rig down, so i will try it again in June.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I'm with Rachel on this one - I've heard "The Way I Love You" at almost Northern/Modern crossover venue I've been to for the past year or so both up and down the country, and although it holda a floor its price never rises, so I don't think it's ever going to be a candidate for going big again, Great record, though...

TONE :)

Social source share

I think you need to be also looking at records which have been played that never really caught the imagination first time round, of course there are some blinding cheap records out there which could and often do become popular take Curly Moore - You Don't Mean - Sansu i got onto this before most other people cost me £8.00, got a few spins at the right venues then bang it went mental, i've always rated The Fabulous Dimensions - I Can't Take It Baby - Sapphire a stunning 60's Chicago dancer, has it all a pounding backbeat, fantastic tempo, beautiful voices the whole deal really,alway's a five pound record way back but crept up a bit now but still cheap at around £30 to £50.00 and to be honest if it was a one off or fewer than say five copies it would be a four figure record, again with a few spins this would be a huge record.

I'm gonna nip upstairs after tea and dig out a few examples of my above comments, interesting this.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Some amazing choons , some I've heard some I'd like to hear. I got this today not sure about weather it fits the criteria --

BOBBY JOY - YOU SWEET DEVIL YOU - TANGERINE

Superb record, did get a few spins but would go again this time much bigger i feel...awesome 45!

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

I think you need to be also looking at records which have been played that never really caught the imagination first time round, of course there are some blinding cheap records out there which could and often do become popular take Curly Moore - You Don't Mean - Sansu i got onto this before most other people cost me £8.00, got a few spins at the right venues then bang it went mental, i've always rated The Fabulous Dimensions - I Can't Take It Baby - Sapphire a stunning 60's Chicago dancer, has it all a pounding backbeat, fantastic tempo, beautiful voices the whole deal really,alway's a five pound record way back but crept up a bit now but still cheap at around £30 to £50.00 and to be honest if it was a one off or fewer than say five copies it would be a four figure record, again with a few spins this would be a huge record.

I'm gonna nip upstairs after tea and dig out a few examples of my above comments, interesting this.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Superb record, did get a few spins but would go again this time much bigger i feel...awesome 45!

Mark Bicknell.

on this score mark what about your old favourite bibby jones on USA beware a stranger + good b side if i remember.

mark

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mark Bicknell.

Mark did it come out on another label , I'm sure it was on SENTRY or am I getting it mixed up with something else

Social source share

The next big tune could well be:

The Continental Four "The Way I Love You" Jay walking

:rolleyes:

Sean Hampsey

Above definately.......what about following?

John Roberts - I'll Forget You - Duke DRIVING ,MOODY,GREAT BREAK AND GREAT LYRICS

Wade Flemmons - When It Rains It Really Pours - Veejay TOP SHUFFLER FROM "THE MAN"

Chris Calloway - You're Something Else - Cub CATCHY DANCER

Lee Lamont - Happy Days - Backbeat EXCELLENT DANCER/POWERFUL VOICE

Ruby and Romantics - Much Better Off Than I've Ever Been - Kapp EMOTIVE SHUFFLER

Parliaments - A New Day Begins - Atco CLASSY MID-TEMPO

Charles Amar - I'm Gonna Get You Yet - Lamar THIS SHOULD BE MASSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friendly People - You Send Me - vmp DANCER VERSION OF SAM COOKE

Most of these be heard on John Manships site. They are so,so good, i'm surprised they are still available.................??!!!

Carl ph34r.gif

Social source share

I can see this thread running and running and rightly so, knowledge and the sharing of it is by far one of the most important aspects of our scene, as promised been upstairs and took rather longer than i thought i would....well you start out to play one or two then it ends up a two hour session...lol

I'm not sure if the following five selections were or will ever be massive tunes but need a mention and some turntable action.

Two 45's from The Webs to kick things off, cheap as chips as they say but i wager both these records have been overlooked firstly 'Tomorrow' - Popside 4593 simply stunning vocals from this little known outfit, then check out the awesome 'Give In' also on Popside 4595 this is powerhouse proper Northern Soul that must have been played at some stage? if not it should be trust me.Both these 45's should be easy to find at under ten quid, buy blind if you don't already know these two beautiful tunes.

Next up a well known label M-S out of Detroit, home for the likes of Tony Clarke, Eddie Hill and this little gem from Louis Curry - 'I'll Try Again Tomorrow' - M-S 203 recorded back in 1967 another killer record which is known but needs to be heard at full volume.mmmmmmmmmmmmm mid paced and basically has it all, an outstanding example of quality semi known Northern Soul.This record is almost instant and will be with you for life, it holds that special something that you just can't express in words.

The Paramount Four - You Don't Know (Till It Happens To You) - Southern City 1115 - I remember Phil Dick playing this way back at The Griffin Allnighter in Leeds a few times, also i think it was reviewed a magazine by none other than Mr Levine a few years ago, always been there or there abouts but never really made a big impact at the venues, perhaps one you either like straight away or it passes you by, but again has that little something a bit special which makes it a possible main room record.Not that easy to find as i would think it's tucked away in a few collections.

Billy Woods - I Don't Want To Lose Your Love - Verve 10451 - Oh my god this is such a fantastic record, maybe overlooked and possibly overshadowed by his Sussex monster which has to go down as one of the athem records of the scene, this Verve outing is up there in quality also a Sussex production, again has had some turntable action over the years but not enough to make it a big record which it should be FUCKING HUGE infact....lol I've always rated this record and it goes down well when played often getting the 'what's this' reaction...awesome!

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Here's a great female version of the flipside of the Jimmie Steward:

IRENE_REID___YOU_AIN_T_WOMAN_ENOUGH__VERVE_10452_DEMO_.mp3

Hmmm..not bad I suppose,but I prefer my R N B (like my northern) to be more hard hitting and powerful,because I`m not only a DJ ,I also dance you see...Try this instead...then try finding one. Mine`s the only copy I`ve ever seen. And if you do find another, you have my admiration . Anyway, enough talk...let`s get to the action..

Here`s..

JESSIE MAE-DON`T FREEZE ON ME-ARP

jessiemae.mp3

Social source share

Hmmm..not bad I suppose,but I prefer my R N B (like my northern) to be more hard hitting and powerful,because I`m not only a DJ ,I also dance you see...Try this instead...then try finding one. Mine`s the only copy I`ve ever seen. And if you do find another, you have my admiration . Anyway, enough talk...let`s get to the action..

Here`s..

I'm sorry to have to say that its records like that which made me get into modern :thumbsup: Had to stop it after about 5 seconds! Truly, truly vile :thumbsup:

Social source share

On a similar note, a record that I've got and that I've never heard out :P , but I think would sound great over a big system and could therefore go big. I think it's currently about £20-£25. :thumbsup:

The Volumes - My Kind Of Girl (Inferno)

What kind of do's do you go to if you've never heard this? :thumbsup:

Have heard it out and about for years :lol: Tis a lovely record

Social source share

Day off today so being up and about early after feeding the cats i thought i would contribute another couple of tunes to this super thread............just put the washing in so i've got five minutes.

I'm sure i've mentioned this next one on here before but well worth a second mention is the wonderful Oliver Joy - Keep Love Growing - Big Deal 133 out of the Crescent City of New Orleans, this is in your face uptempo slightly harder edged Northern, again this record has been knocking at the scene's door for many years and one or two people have already let it in but it just needs a few copies to turn up and this has the makings of a big record, i've had it for about 20 years and paid something like £40.00 for it then, personally i would add another zero to this one today but a realistic price would be around £200.00???? not seen too many copies for sale so i reckon this is possibly a harder tune to find than some of the others i've mentioned here, a very punchy driving backbeat this tune is without question the perfect style for today's scene will have appeal to hardcore Northern fans and the R'n'B buffs alike.

Lucille Mathis - I'm Not Your Regular Woman - A-Bet 9427 A few good records over the years from Nashville based A-Bet Records played on the scene from the likes of Percy Wiggins, Hytones, Bessie Jones, Little Johnny Truitt etc. etc. This record again has had a few spins over the years but never really took off, has R'n'B influence and style in it's production so again appeal to both camps here, possibly played first around the Stafford period but i could be wrong? price wise i've seen it for as much as £100.00 recently so it must have something going for it to demand a solid but fair price, perfect pace, powerhouse vocal, all in all a great record.........now back to the washing and housework....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Next up a well known label M-S out of Detroit, home for the likes of Tony Clarke, Eddie Hill and this little gem from Louis Curry - 'I'll Try Again Tomorrow' - M-S 203 recorded back in 1967 another killer record which is known but needs to be heard at full volume.mmmmmmmmmmmmm mid paced and basically has it all, an outstanding example of quality semi known Northern Soul.This record is almost instant and will be with you for life, it holds that special something that you just can't express in words.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mark, the other side isn't too bad either, A Toast To You. I actually put it on a tape for Mr Franklin. This was his response and I quote:

"A Toast To You....didn't know this, fantastic tune, gonna' have to get this, brilliant stuff Ian, can't stop playing it. :thumbsup:"

That's good enough for me. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Here`s..

the Jessie Mae's awesome. got mine cheap a year or two ago, and just saw Manship had one for 150 the other day... has had plays at the Mousetrap and Shake! nights (and Le Beat Bespoke, although that was by me :thumbsup: ), (and by DJ Wheeliebag at the Pillars of Hercules :thumbsup: )

mine and the other copies i've seen are on DRA label though...?

Social source share

Billy Woods - I Don't Want To Lose Your Love - Verve 10451 - Oh my god this is such a fantastic record, maybe overlooked and possibly overshadowed by his Sussex monster which has to go down as one of the athem records of the scene, this Verve outing is up there in quality also a Sussex production, again has had some turntable action over the years but not enough to make it a big record which it should be FUCKING HUGE infact....lol I've always rated this record and it goes down well when played often getting the 'what's this' reaction...awesome!

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

good call Mark, been playing this myself on and off for years and can't believe it's still going for 25 quid or thereabouts. Absolutely stunning record.

Martin

Social source share

Here`s..

Saw one of these on eBay recently, here it is:

https://cgi.ebay.com/JESSIE-MAE-dont-freeze...1QQcmdZViewItem

I thought there was a sound file actually, but there doesn't seem to be. Funny cos I thought I'd heard it and had thought that you couldn't dance to that whistling.gif

Anyway, seems to have it's admirers, not me though and I do like some R&B

An R&B sound to go big? Try these:

Rosco Gordon - You Got My Bait - Jomada

roscog.mp3

Anna King - Mama's Got A Bag of Her Own - End (if it isn't big already)

annak.mp3

Jackie Shane - Comin Down - Sue (Bit of a dodgy start and maybe not really R&B either)

jackies.mp3

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paultp
Social source share

An R&B sound to go big? Try these:

Rosco Gordon - You Got My Bait - Jomada

anyone got a spare? been after this for a while, but missed the last one on Ebay a while back and not seen it at all since...

edit - maybe my search is buggered, there's a Moerer copy there now, but as usual priced to stay put for months...

Edited by bongolia
Social source share

Funny that, I've not heard it played out at anywhere I've been in the past 10 years.

Good news though if that's the case.

I guess I dont get out enough!

whistling.gif

Sean Hampsey

Tony is right but I have heard it played more in the south now that I think about it. more of a southern sound then? :shades:

Social source share

We have probably had threads like this before but i was thinking about the Pat and the Blenders record going for silly money....and everyone saying its crazy...so what do you think the next record to go through the roof is?

A few rules; it cant be a mega-rarity, it must be known or semi-known and currently available for less than £30.........I`m thinking about the next Betty Swan, Ace Spectrum, David Ruffin kinda thing........

Chris

How about Donny Mann " Little golden band " [ Mr Chand ] sounds rather like Kent Drake " Boss thing together "[ Wand ] or Ty Hunter " I don't see me in your eyes anymore " [invictus ] Two good one's for the crossover scene at least ? Best ,Eddie

Social source share

How about Donny Mann " Little golden band " [ Mr Chand ] sounds rather like Kent Drake " Boss thing together "[ Wand ] or Ty Hunter " I don't see me in your eyes anymore " [invictus ] Two good one's for the crossover scene at least ? Best ,Eddie

Eddie I can't stand that "Little golden band" - nor the Visitors version on Dispo. It just grates with me. Sorry.

Social source share

anyone got a spare? been after this for a while, but missed the last one on Ebay a while back and not seen it at all since...

edit - maybe my search is buggered, there's a Moerer copy there now, but as usual priced to stay put for months...

Try Mace on this site... he had a demo in his sales box last weekend.

Social source share

To be honest that is a shockingly bad record..........

Fuckin hell!!

Chris

:lol::lol:

Thanks for the vote Chris! Now I KNOW it`s f****n great!! whistling.gif:lol:

I'm sorry to have to say that its records like that which made me get into modern :yes: Had to stop it after about 5 seconds! Truly, truly vile :shades:

:lol::lol:

Opinions,opinions..It`s what makes this scene great!! :lol:

Edited by The Soul Intention
Social source share

the Jessie Mae's awesome. got mine cheap a year or two ago, and just saw Manship had one for 150 the other day... has had plays at the Mousetrap and Shake! nights (and Le Beat Bespoke, although that was by me whistling.gif ), (and by DJ Wheeliebag at the Pillars of Hercules :shades: )

mine and the other copies i've seen are on DRA label though...?

Your superior musical tastes know no bounds, sir! You ARE correct! It IS on DRA!! Where I got ARP from is anyones guess.Probably got mixed up with something else. Alcohol,lack of sleep and forum posts evidently do not mix!

post-2607-1145971479.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!