Going Big.....what Will Be Next?

Not sure if it will ever go 'massive' but a great track that is easily available for under a tenner:

Gene Chandler - I'll Make the Living If You Make the Loving Worthwhile. Chi Sound

Take a liste on JMs site...£10 well spent..I think so!

the best gene chandler record for me is you dont have to be lying babe curtom,

mark

Social source share

• Replies 246
  • Views 19.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Another Friday night and i find myself upstairs again messing about with the bootlegs...lol I would just like to add this one in the mix here as i think this very much underplayed record is about to explode on the Northern scene............

Claude "Baby" Huey - Drifting -M.I.O.B. 1283 - Part of the Fantasy/Galaxy set up this Ozz Osborne song and production is simply so right for the current scene, perfect pace, crunching vocal from a man who has supplied the scene with a handful of beautiful records including another superb release from M.I.O.B. 1281 - 'Keep It To Myself' which is also worthy of a play or two at the gigs, the ultra cool R'n'B style cut for Early Bird 49654 - 'Feel Good All Over' and the superb Galaxy release 'Why Would You Blow It' - Galaxy 768 which of course has been a pretty big record on the scene in recent years played by the likes of Bob Hinsley, Ginger Taylor, myself from time to time and others.

All these records have been pretty popular with collectors over the years but 'Drifting' stands out possibly to be the one that has been somewhat overlooked until now, you were able to pick this one up a few years ago for just a few pounds but i would instantly value this at an easy £100.00 plus record as copies seem to be hard to locate, just ask my good friend Mick Howard and he will confirm this, with a few more plays this semi known oldie will catch on proving that the M.I.O.B. had it so right.....Music Is Our Business oh and ours because this is an awesome record which i'm sure many of you on here will confirm.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Another Friday night and i find myself upstairs again messing about with the bootlegs...lol I would just like to add this one in the mix here as i think this very much underplayed record is about to explode on the Northern scene............

Claude "Baby" Huey - Drifting -M.I.O.B. 1283 - Part of the Fantasy/Galaxy set up this Ozz Osborne song and production is simply so right for the current scene, perfect pace, crunching vocal from a man who has supplied the scene with a handful of beautiful records including another superb release from M.I.O.B. 1281 - 'Keep It To Myself' which is also worthy of a play or two at the gigs, the ultra cool R'n'B style cut for Early Bird 49654 - 'Feel Good All Over' and the superb Galaxy release 'Why Would You Blow It' - Galaxy 768 which of course has been a pretty big record on the scene in recent years played by the likes of Bob Hinsley, Ginger Taylor, myself from time to time and others.

All these records have been pretty popular with collectors over the years but 'Drifting' stands out possibly to be the one that has been somewhat overlooked until now, you were able to pick this one up a few years ago for just a few pounds but i would instantly value this at an easy £100.00 plus record as copies seem to be hard to locate, just ask my good friend Mick Howard and he will confirm this, with a few more plays this semi known oldie will catch on proving that the M.I.O.B. had it so right.....Music Is Our Business oh and ours because this is an awesome record which i'm sure many of you on here will confirm.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark,yeah got "why would you blow it"then round at Derek Pearson's one night 'ere Mick you might like this one,yeah not bad lol,booked at £25,should pick one up pretty easy,they are out there,just waiting for someone to offer me one for sale,eh Mark.......... whistling.gif .thanks for the mention on the radio,see you've got a copy of the heartbreakers now

Mick

Social source share

Hi Mark,yeah got "why would you blow it"then round at Derek Pearson's one night 'ere Mick you might like this one,yeah not bad lol,booked at £25,should pick one up pretty easy,they are out there,just waiting for someone to offer me one for sale,eh Mark.......... whistling.gif .thanks for the mention on the radio,see you've got a copy of the heartbreakers now

Mick

Mick, I'll call you over the next few days to arrange things for the show, yeh Heartbreakers pheww that was a close call got it pretty quickly......now everyone wants one....lol

'Drifting' sorry mate 'I'l Keep It To Myself'.......lol

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Try this instead...then try finding one. Mine`s the only copy I`ve ever seen. And if you do find another, you have my admiration . Anyway, enough talk...let`s get to the action..

Here`s..

JESSIE MAE-DON`T FREEZE ON ME-ARP

Did you think you were talking into a microphone on stage when you wrote that!!!!! whistling.gif:thumbsup:

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark,

Keep up with the times honey - am trying to get this for Michael and the last 2 on ebay went for coming up to 200 sovs :lol: Johns last one sold for £100. This was a couple of months ago now so no doubt there'll be even more people looking for it and it'll just get more and more expensive :angry:

If anyone has a copy that they'd like to sell to me, can you offer it to me in a few weeks as the bloody car has just cost an arm and a leg and has scuppered all our going out type fun and games for the weekend. whistling.gif

My poor kids will suffer this weekend as I am going to be the grumpiest Mum in Yorkshire :thumbsup::lol::lol:

Social source share

and the superb Galaxy release 'Why Would You Blow It' - Galaxy 768 which of course has been a pretty big record on the scene in recent years played by the likes of Bob Hinsley, Ginger Taylor, myself from time to time and others.

Agree Mark ... great record .... wonder who's tape it was where Bob heard it first whistling.gif

Anyway ... here it is ...

Social source share

All these records have been pretty popular with collectors over the years but 'Drifting' stands out possibly to be the one that has been somewhat overlooked until now ....

Don't know about it being overlooked as i've certainly heard it played out regularly over the last 5 years at least .....

Fantastic record though and no mistake ... whistling.gif

...... will post "Keep it to Myself" too .... as soon as i get it back from Ts sister's ... if nobody's done it by then :thumbsup:

Social source share

Baz............"I'm a fool I must love you"............ATB Stevie ..PS any tunes that are lesser known to let me know of?ATB Stevie

Mentioned at the begging of the thread The Royal Five - Dont stop on the P&L lable, ok its proberly been a big record for Andy Rix (i think thats what i read, who had the original acetate) but not had the 'nation wide' spins! IMO with a little push this could take off, spun it the other week in wellingborough (Have no hang ups about spinning this as its an official release) initially it emptied the floor, but soon had them filtering back once the beat got em.

a few others....god time to get the brain working :thumbsup:

Bobby Byrd - lost in the mood of changes - smash ok was a big record at the 100 club and stafford i think it got plays at but, proberly a long forgotten record now, sounds really good loud and has the right credencials to keep your feet moving whistling.gif

Orthea Barnes - I never loved nobody - coral, nice mid tempo floater havent a clue if its been or being spun any where again with a little push could go IMO

Social source share

Guest Trevski

post-4912-1146495522.jpgWhat about this little beauty!

GOING GREAT GUNS IN MY HOUSE! Will be played at The Dukes Head in Kings Lynn on the 15th July!!!

John Parker, and myself, have been playing this for some months now. Infact, getting a little tired of it meself, and have dropped it from playlist, unless specificaly requested.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Orthea Barnes - I never loved nobody - coral, nice mid tempo floater havent a clue if its been or being spun any where again with a little push could go IMO

:thumbsup: Her "Your picture on the wall"- Mickay's, is bloody good too :lol:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest Trevski

[quote name='Trevski' date='May 1 2006, 04:23 PM' post='286503']

John Parker, and myself, have been playing this for some months now. Infact, getting a little tired of it meself, and have dropped it from playlist, unless specificaly requested.

yeah, not been out much, sorry. Do you like the flip? a nice version of the old blue eyed stomper by the Beltones!

Yes, interesting version!

Play the Invitations out mate, it takes ages for tunes to circulate these days :thumbsup: It's just that everywhere I go lately JP is on :lol: so I've had invitations overkill!! :lol:

Social source share

[Orthea Barnes - I never loved nobody - coral, nice mid tempo floater havent a clue if its been or being spun any where again with a little push could go IMO

Social source share

Guest Baz

:thumbsup: Her "Your picture on the wall"- Mickay's, is bloody good too :lol:

Yep but dont think its one to be spun out, not really dance floor fodder??? but still bloody good :lol:

Another of hers, Take my heart and soul, good dancer :lol:

Social source share

Bobby Byrd - lost in the mood of changes - smash ok was a big record at the 100 club and stafford i think it got plays at but, proberly a long forgotten record now, sounds really good loud and has the right credencials to keep your feet moving :lol:

Bobby Bryd, not forgotten, it's just too cheap for most to DJ with :thumbsup:

Orthea Barnes, had many a spin nover the years. I've played the odd time over the last few years along with her Your Picture On The Wall.

Social source share

Guest Baz

Bobby Bryd, not forgotten, it's just too cheap for most to DJ with :lol:

Orthea Barnes, had many a spin nover the years. I've played the odd time over the last few years along with her Your Picture On The Wall.

Spun the Bobby out a few times but never really had any 'luck' with it but will keep on including it when i can,

how was 'Picture on the wall' recived on the dance floor, brilliant record but when i listen to it i just can really 'picture' ( :thumbsup: ) much reaction from it and never herd it out, to actually see how it goes down :lol:

Social source share

Spun the Bobby out a few times but never really had any 'luck' with it but will keep on including it when i can,

how was 'Picture on the wall' recived on the dance floor, brilliant record but when i listen to it i just can really 'picture' ( :thumbsup: ) much reaction from it and never herd it out, to actually see how it goes down :lol:

probably didn't go down too well with todays dancers although some did dance. Suppose with records like that is when you play it, play 6 up tempo tracks, drop one in like that and the dancers might be glad of a plodder :lol:

Social source share

Guest ZTSC

Clovers-"Try my loving on you"- Josie. Been getting favourable reaction to spins recently :thumbsup:

Wey Hey !!!

About time someone picked up on this one. I'ts been bubbling for a few years now and deserves some exposure. Get it out of your box and get it spun you lot.

R-E-C-O-R-D- !!

Social source share

Guest ZTSC

probably didn't go down too well with todays dancers although some did dance. Suppose with records like that is when you play it, play 6 up tempo tracks, drop one in like that and the dancers might be glad of a plodder :thumbsup:

Well I like it !

Can't go wrong with Orthea Barnes - a talented Detroit artist indeed . :lol:

Social source share

Is it just me, or are the 'next big' records being bandied about on here all Oldies?

Anyone got any new discoveries?

I did ask this question myself early on in this thread, was it totally new records to the scene or semi knowns or forgotton oldies or what????? perhaps you can clear this one up so we all know...lol

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Is it just me, or are the 'next big' records being bandied about on here all Oldies?

Anyone got any new discoveries?

Maybe thats because the original post stated:

A few rules; it cant be a mega-rarity, it must be known or semi-known and currently available for less than £30.........I`m thinking about the next Betty Swan, Ace Spectrum, David Ruffin kinda thing........

Wasn't lookin' for new discoveries....... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Maybe thats because the original post stated:

Wasn't lookin' for new discoveries....... :thumbsup:

Sorry Trevski,

You're right, I should have said....

"Is it just me or are all the next big records being 'bandied' about on this thread well known Oldies"

Thanks for drawing my attention to it.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Sorry Trevski,

You're right, I should have said....

"Is it just me or are all the next big records being 'bandied' about on this thread well known Oldies"

Thanks for drawing my attention to it.

No probs Joe, a lot of the tunes mentioned are well know oldies, I agree, but a lot of whats well known to some, are relatively new to others, depends where you've been, what tape-swaps you've had, I suppose.

Personaly, I can't remember hearing the Clovers until about a year ago, then found it on a tape I had from 1990, so I must've heard it, it justs slips the mind 'til it crops up again! (that and the destruction of several million brain cells in the intervening years! :thumbsup: )

Just shows also, how hard it is to find quality 60's Northern NEW stuff, unless your one of the 'big boys' have big £££ and have the top-notch contacts. Not many 'ordinary' guys finding absolutely blinding unknows for peanuts these days.

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

post-4912-1146495522.jpgWhat about this little beauty!

GOING GREAT GUNS IN MY HOUSE! Will be played at The Dukes Head in Kings Lynn on the 15th July!!!

Great record, used to play this down at These Old Shoes 3 or 4 years ago. I think it fetches anything between 40 and 75 though, so does it count?

Social source share

Guest claude rains

:wicked:

Found a track by "The Falcons " called Youre Mine nice spot of RnB

on Unart records

cheap as well abour 2 dollars

anyone heard it out and about

Doug

other side called "Country Shack"

:thumbsup::D

Like a lot of groups, such as Wanderers, Volumes, Dells, etc, they started out playing 50's R&B/Doo Wop.

I don't know the track, but theres an example on the b-side to "Good Good Feeling" "Llove you like you've never been loved" which is the kind of crossing over point between Doo Wop and soul.

The record you have sounds to be the same and alot of this kind of stuff is big on the rockin scene, usually termed like "Have Love" Richard Berry are danced by mostly girls and termed "strollers"..

:yes:

Social source share

Johnny Bristol - Strangers In Dark Corners, maybe an oldie but still sounds great when you have'nt heard it for a while thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Always always find threads like this very interesting, anybody with half an interest in DJing should always be reading about other peoples future tips. As we all know too well there's a massive massive difference between what records "should" go big and what records actually do. Its the old age arguement once again - is it just a good collectors record or an over looked future biggie? It's a bit like the step up from the Championship to the Premiership and we all know thats one helluva mighty big leap. Guess we'll never know untill (enough) DJs have the confidence to spin it.

Over the last few years I've heard great records like Cam Cameron "They say" Capri, Skip Jackson "Onto you" Dotmar, El Anthony "We've been in love" LaCindy, Eddie Billups "Shake" SS7 & Enticers "Calling" Cotillion all played to indifferent dance floors. All great records no question, all previously underplayed but none of them set the dance floor on fire. Is a full dance floor the only sign of a quality record? How long do we persevere with tracks that get a luke warm response?

Spent a bit of time on this and here's a list of tunes that I personally would like to hear played out more, many of them - possibly maybe -could become the next Wigan Athletic? All are relatively well known, the majority are fairly cheap and none are impossible (he says).

Undisputed Truth "You got the love" Gordy;

Soul Patrol "Save your love" Highland;

John Stanberry "I can't belive" Stan Los;

Ghetto Children "Its not easy" Roulette;

Duke Turner "Let me be your babysitter" Spinning Top;

Ronnie McNeir "Good side of your love" Tortoise;

Sir Henry Ivy "He left you standing there" Future Dimensions;

Willie Hobbs "Till I get it right" SS7;

Betty Wright "Show your girl" RCA LP;

Steelers "Just beginning to love you" Crash.

Sixties wise what about:

Jimmy Soul Clark "Tell her" Moira;

Carol Fran "I'm gonna try" Port;

Chekkers "Lack of love" Look;

Embers "Where did I go wrong" Atlantic;

Darrow Fletcher "My young misery" Groovy;

Malibus "Gee baby" Sureshot;

Mary Moultrie "Trying to tear us" King;

Little Milton "Sometimey" Checker.

If you/we/I haven't got the time, money or inclination to find unknown records to DJ with you/we/I have to constantly re-assess and re-invent.

Its all good fun innit.

derek

Social source share

Always always find threads like this very interesting, anybody with half an interest in DJing should always be reading about other peoples future tips. As we all know too well there's a massive massive difference between what records "should" go big and what records actually do. Its the old age arguement once again - is it just a good collectors record or an over looked future biggie? It's a bit like the step up from the Championship to the Premiership and we all know thats one helluva mighty big leap. Guess we'll never know untill (enough) DJs have the confidence to spin it.

Over the last few years I've heard great records like Cam Cameron "They say" Capri, Skip Jackson "Onto you" Dotmar, El Anthony "We've been in love" LaCindy, Eddie Billups "Shake" SS7 & Enticers "Calling" Cotillion all played to indifferent dance floors. All great records no question, all previously underplayed but none of them set the dance floor on fire. Is a full dance floor the only sign of a quality record? How long do we persevere with tracks that get a luke warm response?

Spent a bit of time on this and here's a list of tunes that I personally would like to hear played out more, many of them - possibly maybe -could become the next Wigan Athletic? All are relatively well known, the majority are fairly cheap and none are impossible (he says).

Undisputed Truth "You got the love" Gordy;

Soul Patrol "Save your love" Highland;

John Stanberry "I can't belive" Stan Los;

Ghetto Children "Its not easy" Roulette;

Duke Turner "Let me be your babysitter" Spinning Top;

Ronnie McNeir "Good side of your love" Tortoise;

Sir Henry Ivy "He left you standing there" Future Dimensions;

Willie Hobbs "Till I get it right" SS7;

Betty Wright "Show your girl" RCA LP;

Sixties wise what about:

Jimmy Soul Clark "Tell her" Moira;

Carol Fran "I'm gonna try" Port;

Chekkers "Lack of love" Look;

Embers "Where did I go wrong" Atlantic;

Darrow Fletcher "My young misery" Groovy;

Malibus "Gee baby" Sureshot;

Mary Moultrie "Trying to tear us" King;

Little Milton "Sometimey" Checker.

If you/we/I haven't got the time, money or inclination to find unknown records to DJ with you/we/I have to constantly re-assess and re-invent.

Its all good fun innit.

derek

Some brill stuff there Del Boy

Flanny's been hammering that John Stanberry at The Orwell but to no avail as yet.

Strange but in me quest to find some semi known bits i chanced upon Sir Henry Ivy and have stuck it in the play box BUT imho it needs playing on minus 2 (maybe even more than that). Pegged down a bit it sounds like it is more suitable for today's scene (or am i just an old fart who can't dance fast anymore - don't answer that!!!!!!!)

Another 'un that's in the play box (from the early Modern days) is Geater - Breath taking girl - House of Orange BUT this rascal is on minus 4 at least, as it's about 160 miles an hour at normal speed. Sounds wicked like this - i reckon the Northern scene could possbily take both these on board too!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Sir Henry Ivy is a seriously great dance soul record. Funnily enough it was one of the tracks mentioned in the Stafford thread that I think really stands the test of time: if anything it was years ahead of its time in the early 80s when first spun.

I don't know if there are enough copies around to take it into the Pat & The Blenders league, though. It's not terribly expensive at the moment but I reckon there's a small queue of people waiting for a copy right now.

In a similar vein in that it's a tough, Southern funky tune with really committed singing, I've been advocating "Ruby" by Lee Brackett on Excello (the other side is the really good, more traditionally Northern, "Save A Foolish Man").

I know some of the more enlightened parts of the funk scene rate this 45, and a few of the more broadminded crossover collectors have raved over it too, but it's probably far too idiosyncratic to make it to National Soul Anthem status. Records which attain that lofty perch tend to be fairly 'inoffensive' musically: they tend to have linear rhythms, catchy melodies and nothing untoward lurking in the production to deter the casual listener. On the last point I don't know if I'd feel comfortable with spinning a record that went on to take on the characteristics of a 'hammered up and down the country' anthem: just a personal point of view.

Social source share

Sir Henry Ivy is a seriously great dance soul record. Funnily enough it was one of the tracks mentioned in the Stafford thread that I think really stands the test of time: if anything it was years ahead of its time in the early 80s when first spun.

I don't know if there are enough copies around to take it into the Pat & The Blenders league, though. It's not terribly expensive at the moment but I reckon there's a small queue of people waiting for a copy right now.

It don't list for much but i think you're right, there's not many around.

Good point about pat & blenders

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

derek

Steelers- absolute dream of a tune! I managed to get a copy a couple of years back but it aint cheap. Ian Clark had one at the Norwich record fair and it went for £200. I know loads of people who are after a copy. Great Northern Soul dancer!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!