Skinhead Moonstomp Lp Cover

BrianB

Does anyone remember this LP in the late 60s early 70s? It had the Blackpool Mecca crew on the front. I can only remember Tash, the one with the black hair, and wait for it... a tash!

Does anyone have a photo of this LP and can anyone put names to them.

We were in awe of them in the early 70s when Jebb, Levine, Cokell et al used to come to the Burnley Rose Room on Tuesday nights and blow us away with Queen of Fools, Sufferin City, Younghearts, Mamie Galore, Major Lance, Roy Hamilton and Sandi Sheldon, Al Kent etc, etc.

We used to walk home singing them wondering how we could buy these records and marvelling at their dancing.

Brian B

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Jimmy Scriv

Tash, (Roy Ashworth) is the one wearing the braces on the left, a great dancer by the way. Regarding Tony Jebb I saw him a few weeks back and he was buzzing about on an electric invalid chair. A bit sad to see him in this state as I remember him with all his 'groupie girls' following him about. Despite his physical condition he was in good spirits.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

The bloke at the top second from the right looks like that guy from the apalling BBC sitcom 'Game On'...(on the left of the picture below)

game01.jpg

I liked the second series of that when Sam Janus was in it. Very confusing how the cast changed every series though.

Social source share

I liked the second series of that when Sam Janus was in it. Very confusing how the cast changed every series though.

I thought she was in the first as well? The main male characters were just so obnoxious. But that one guy is now a big star in the States, forgot his name but he was in The Truth About Cats And Dogs, which is quite a good film (if you are female person)

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Thanks for the feedback and the scan of the cover. Anyone remember who else is on there and how some Blackpool soulies got on the photo shoot?

...I used to know the exact circumstances of how this photo shoot came about, but time has unfortunately completely blurred my recollection of the events. I do recall that Tash's mate Rene Gelston (who went on to found the Black Market record shop and label) was supposed to be in the pic, too, but when all five foot five of him turned up for the shoot the photographer reckoned he didn't look hard enough, so Rene really DID "walk away" on this occasion! (I didn't make that up, honest...)

TONE :D

PS and BTW nice to hear the Burnley Mecca get a mention here - one of the most welcoming and least recalled venues of the early Northern days. I used to enjoy Burnley so much that, if I had the chance to do so, I'd 'forget' to come home to London after a Saturday Blackpool session so that I could hang around for the Tuesday night.

If I'm right in this recollection, Billy 'The Kid' Alston - who was also resident at the Blackpool Mecca's downstairs room and who was himself a Northern fan, - was the main DJ in the Rose Room, and the Highland Room triumverate were the regular guests?

Social source share

Once (if) I get my computer back from the repair man I'll get my scanner back on the go. Then you'll all be sorry. Have got some late 70s pics of the Cats Whiskers all-dayers* (as the Mecca in't Burnley was known then). You wanna see the cars parked outside eh I think mi dad used to drive one of them hehehe. derek

* even the plastic palm tree gets a look in

Social source share

Guest Jimmy Scriv

Billy The Kid aka Rod Allsworth recently promoted the Kim Weston gig in Blackpool and he was the Best Man at my wedding! Before moving to Blackpool I lived near Burnley and was a regular at The Mecca/Cats Whiskers there. I remember once going there on my scooter and the steering lock broke and I drove home with my headlamp shining at right angles to my front wheel. Mick Brunt was the resident in the Rose Room when I attended, sounds like Washed Ashore, Tightrope spring to mind. Anyone remember the Allnighters held at Harrisons Hoist in Earby? The venue was closed after a drug raid by West Yorkshires finest.

Social source share

Thanks Jimmy and Tony for your replies. We must have been down together on those Tuesday nights. I used to hang around with Alan Hughes (Fuse), Steve Lane, and the a few others from Burnley such as Tony Green and Dave Opacic (Hopper).

We got matey with Kev Mc Caffrey and Martin Clough and then started going to the Blackpool Mecca. Great times!

The Blackpool crew were great, took the p..s out of us at first, but after a couple of weeks they took us under their wings and we learnt loads. I remember one night Tony Jebb played Sufferin City by Johnny Copeland and some guy got on the dance floor and seemed to really be freaked out by it, dancing like he was possessed. His arms were flailing above his head, eyes shut, completely out of it. The record finished and he just walked out.

To be around in 71 when I think the Tuesdays started, and hear fantastic records all night probably mapped out my future life out for me. Great times!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!