Gospel Classics-more Love

Guest martyn

Guest martyn

I remember this from years back,but its one of those sounds I can't place at a particular nighter or by a particular jock

Where,when & by who was it first spun?

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Netspeaky

Most probably played by someone at the BBC as a new release. In my opinion it's silly asking who played a UK release first, as demo's were mailed out to DJ's to spin, it could have been anyone on the mailout list. :D

Social source share

You are definitely right about it being played on the BBC as I recognised this when I heard it played 'out' for the first time so I had to have heard it when it came out. And it must have been daytime radio too. I was 8 when it came out and I can't remember many records I heard on the radio back then but I distinctly remember hearing "Beggin" by Timebox on a sick day off from school. The record that reminds me most of the 60's and having breakfast vefore going to school with the radio on, is "Excerpt from a teenage opera (grocer jack)" by keith West, every time I hear that I'm transported back to our council house in Bull Lane. Sorry, am rambling on...

Social source share

You are definitely right about it being played on the BBC as I recognised this when I heard it played 'out' for the first time so I had to have heard it when it came out. And it must have been daytime radio too. I was 8 when it came out and I can't remember many records I heard on the radio back then but I distinctly remember hearing "Beggin" by Timebox on a sick day off from school. The record that reminds me most of the 60's and having breakfast vefore going to school with the radio on, is "Excerpt from a teenage opera (grocer jack)" by keith West, every time I hear that I'm transported back to our council house in Bull Lane. Sorry, am rambling on...

Ramble away Pete.......good stuff.

I remember "Grocer Jack" but for me it was "McArthur Park", you remember? The song about "someone's left a cake out in the rain". Takes me right back too.

I also remember hearing "I'll Do Anything" on, of course, the Tony Blackburn show!

John.

Social source share

Ramble away Pete.......good stuff.

I remember "Grocer Jack" but for me it was "McArthur Park", you remember? The song about "someone's left a cake out in the rain". Takes me right back too.

I also remember hearing "I'll Do Anything" on, of course, the Tony Blackburn show!

John.

Yeah thats a f*cking terrible song - Richard Harris - but I also remember that one. I remember I used to write down the artists and title of the records and give them points out of 10. I always knew I'd end up working with records :D

Social source share

I remember I used to write down the artists and title of the records and give them points out of 10. :D

You know what Pete - so did I! Then I used to circulate this to my brother & sister who would also give points and I'd work out chart positions from that. I'm all dewey eyed now...............

Now what was this thread about again........... :D

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

..."More Love" was definitely played at least once by Tony Blackburn on his Radio 1 Breakfast Show, as a new release. I have a few scruffy, decaying old reels of tape in my attic containing bits of Blackburn shows of the era (which I taped myself, on my old Grundig machine) and "More Love" is actually on one of them, with a fragment of 'Tone' back announcing it (I used to tape the records I liked and edit Mr. 'Lenny Gamble' out, showing remarkable taste even as a teen!)

I know Blackburn's a buffoon, and that he doesn't really know as much about soul as he thinks he does, but back in the day his show was always a good place to hear new UK releases. I can vividly remember him playing Chris Clark's "I Want to Go Back There Again" and "From Head To Toe" - two records that you would never have heard on Mike Raven's R & B show - and as a result of his plays I went out and splurged a bit of paper round money on both. Thanks, therefore, from one Tone, to another!

TONE :D

Social source share

..."More Love" was definitely played at least once by Tony Blackburn on his Radio 1 Breakfast Show, as a new release. I have a few scruffy, decaying old reels of tape in my attic containing bits of Blackburn shows of the era (which I taped myself, on my old Grundig machine) and "More Love" is actually on one of them, with a fragment of 'Tone' back announcing it (I used to tape the records I liked and edit Mr. 'Lenny Gamble' out, showing remarkable taste even as a teen!)

I know Blackburn's a buffoon, and that he doesn't really know as much about soul as he thinks he does, but back in the day his show was always a good place to hear new UK releases. I can vividly remember him playing Chris Clark's "I Want to Go Back There Again" and "From Head To Toe" - two records that you would never have heard on Mike Raven's R & B show - and as a result of his plays I went out and splurged a bit of paper round money on both. Thanks, therefore, from one Tone, to another!

I've got loads of Mike Raven shows on reel to reel and I've posted a few extracts up in the past. never much interest though. What a boring voice that guy had..

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I've got loads of Mike Raven shows on reel to reel and I've posted a few extracts up in the past. never much interest though. What a boring voice that guy had..

Exactly what I thought, when someone gave me a few complete shows on CDR a while back. He also didn't like soul as much as those with selective memories might think...

Social source share

what really bugs me is when they introduce a record as being by say Martha reeves and the vandellas when it was martha and the vandellas or the supremes i know im being picky but it drives me Mad :yes:

i can remeber as a 17year old hearing the very first Tony Blackburn radio 1 show :P

Social source share

He also didn't like soul as much as those with selective memories might think...

TONE :unsure:

You're right Tony, Mike Raven was more of a blues man and certainly on his later shows seemed to play soul under sufferance. However (creakingly old git speaking :yes: ) his Radio 390 pirate shows in early 1966 were required listening for a fifteen year old who'd just got the soulful bug!

Back to the Gospel Classics and yes, it did get club play at the time, I can clearly remember it through a haze of crap beer and cheap lager...lent my UK issue to someone to spin at Yate in 1981, wish I could remember who as I've never seen it since!

Hippo.

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

You're right Tony, Mike Raven was more of a blues man and certainly on his later shows seemed to play soul under sufferance. However (creakingly old git speaking :unsure: ) his Radio 390 pirate shows in early 1966 were required listening for a fifteen year old who'd just got the soulful bug!

Hippo.

...Indeed they were, Jerry. And before he had a specific soul show on any station, I can still remember Mike, with his wife Mandy, doing their breakfast show on 390's predecessor, Radio King - and my first exposure to Pickett's "In The Midnight Hour" on said show. It's also where I first heard things like the Astors' "Candy" and Otis' "Mr. Pitiful" - Tony Hall (who was Atlantic's promo man then) must have had Mike in his pocket big time.

Many's the time that, initially, all my pocket money and later paper round and shelf filling money was spent before it was earned thanks to the music policy of "Mike And Mandy, Bringing You Breakfast on Radio K-I-N-G!"

Such happy days, eh?...

TONE :yes:

Social source share

Sadly KING Radio (from the Nore!) was too low powered to make it here to Cheltenham - 390 had more power so it got out much further. Those whose memories don't stretch back to before 14 August 1967 will never realise the breadth of music the pirates gave us, too much to take in to be honest! Somewhere on the net there's a clip of Radio London's opening day (23 December 1964), with the unmistakeable intro of Candy & the Kisses "The 81"! Obviously before the ship left the US they stocked up on the Billboard chart of that week!

Jerry.

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

here's a coincidence for you - been to a boot sale this morning and picked up:

THE MIKE RAVEN BLUES SHOW (XTRA 1047)

THE MIKE RAVEN BLUES SAMPLER (TRANSATLANTIC TRA SAM 5)

THIS IS BLUES (ISLAND IWP 5)

whats the chances of that, one day after speaking about Mike Raven?

Social source share

Guest martyn

Perhaps thats why its always sounded familier without me associating it with a particular venue then......makes sense :lol:

Social source share

whats the chances of that, one day after speaking about Mike Raven?

Happens to me all the time Pete.

Me and my old mate John (Footnote) Benson would often start talking about a particular hard to find tune and then, the following day, turn up a copy in a Dr Barnados for 10p (or similar).

Really spooky stuff.

I've fulfilled most of my wants over the years just by talking about 'wanting them'.

It's the Universal Mind I reckon!

Sean Hampsey

PS: Thanks for the "I've Never Considered" 45 that we were talking about... that you turned up for me... the very next day!!

Social source share

Correct me if i'm wrong but was Mike Raven also a 'B' movie actor??? i'm sure i remember seeing him in a couple of very bad Hammer Horror flicks made in the late 60's.

Nothing to do with 'The Gospel Classics' i know but thought i would put it in the mix......still much nicer on USA anyway....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Yes seems that Mr Raven was a classically trained actor real name Austin Churton Fairman or so it seems made four pretty bad horror flicks as i thought 'I Monster', a hammer flick ' Lust For A Vampire' and a further two independent films 'Crucible Of Terror' and 'Disciple Of Death'..........i think he was a better DJ than actor...lol

Again nothing to do with The Gospel Classics but needed to confirm my hunch.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest D'Arcy

Personaly, I think this is a great record, but everytime I hear it I do smile to myself, and think that it sounds like the opening tune on an old Steptoe & Son film. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Pete Hulatt played More Love on Friday night at Solid Hit Soul, nice to hear it. It's a track that most soul people like, doesn't seem to matter what genre is their preference.

On the subject of Mike Raven, Lesley and I used to go to Bluesville, Manor House in North London when he DJ'd there on Wednesday nights, 66/67. We always used to enjoy it, he played all the big soul tracks of the time, and sometimes got imports quite early. I used to get the Record Mirror, and had just read that Wilson Pickett had recorded Land Of A Thousand Dances, so was delighted when later that evening he played it. Also still got the American disk of Little Darlin' by Marvin, which he played and offered to the first person up to the front, zoomed up there and got it. Happy carefree days.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!