Fave British Northern Tunes

grant

What a chooon,are these expencive?i want one :unsure: brings bakc great memory`s :ohmy:

Annis is one of those records that nobody ever sees for sale, nobody who has one wants to sell and consequently nobody can put a price to it. I think it would be a cheap record and so you can't really get anyone to part with by doubling the asking price to a tenner! Still everyone seems to have great memories attached to it, perhaps we were all at the same places in 1982/3? !

Social source share

• Replies 105
  • Views 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

It dont say UK,it says British,what with they`re Queen being our Queen,makes kangaroo country British in my book? :unsure:

:ohmy: - I wish your Home Office thought that way!

I was fortunate enough to qualify under the "Highly Skilled Migrant Programme", but been no fun.

Can't think of anything to vote for though, but how about:

"I Stand Accused" by Tony Colton and the Big Boss Band ? He's giving that some feeling at least :ohmy:

m

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

STELLA STARR - BRING HIM BACK (PICCADILLY), THE BEST VERSION, HUGE AT WIGAN IN 73, WAY BEFORE SISSIE HOUSTON GOT PLAYED.

Actually Dusty Springfield's version of "Bring Him Back" (on her "Where Am I Going" album) is the best version by a mile, makes Stella Starr sound about as soulfully credible as Ringo Starr...

TONE :ohmy:

Social source share

Actually Dusty Springfield's version of "Bring Him Back" (on her "Where Am I Going" album) is the best version by a mile, makes Stella Starr sound about as soulfully credible as Ringo Starr...

Also came out on Philips in the UK on the b side of 'what's it gonna be'

Social source share

Maybe someone can help out here.

Whats the full story behind The Blue Sharks really good (UK only?) version of The Velvelettes ' These Things Will Keep Me Loving You' ? I know nothing about it other than it exists and its on a Goldmine CD.

Social source share

Whats the full story behind The Blue Sharks really good (UK only?) version of The Velvelettes ' These Things Will Keep Me Loving You' ? I know nothing about it other than it exists and its on a Goldmine CD.

I thought it was Italian only. Old spin for Soul Sam

Social source share

Its not UK only it was French I think (maybe Belgian). On Grand Prix a 7 inch version of our very own Top of Pops albums of the time. Some unknowns doing covers of the chart hits of the time and sold in woolies and the like for buttons.

Kenny Burrel played this last time I DJ'd with him at Soul At Salwick as you know the Velevelettes is Kenny's fav motown tune.

I think the Blue Sharks is slightly better IMO. Shit rare as well.

I thought it was Italian only. Old spin for Soul Sam

[/quote

Italian sound right Simon so not French or Belgian DOH at me lol

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

What the fu...... Dusty Springfield's version over Cissy Houston's !!

Quick, pass me the smelling salts !

Sorry Simon but, yes, I'm afraid so - Cissy's is great, but Dusty's is even greater. Give me your address and there'll be a bottle of salts in the mail tomorrow....

TONE :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...A quick message to Simon T - no, Dusty's "Bring Him Back" did not come out on a UK single (or on a Dusty Springfield single anywhere else in the world, to my knowledge). The other side of "What's It Gonna Be" in both the UK and the USA was Dusty's excellent version of Barbara English's Reprise tune "Small Town Girl".

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

...A quick message to Simon T - no, Dusty's "Bring Him Back" did not come out on a UK single (or on a Dusty Springfield single anywhere else in the world, to my knowledge). The other side of "What's It Gonna Be" in both the UK and the USA was Dusty's excellent version of Barbara English's Reprise tune "Small Town Girl".

Tone, you are right, it's not UK, it was made in England and it's by Mary O'brien :thumbsup:

I'm sure Pikey's Dog on here hasn't got one either :thumbsup:

Social source share

Tone - at the risk of contraception- It's on the flip of the reissue with the plastic (not paper) label. And don't worry about the smelling salts- just send a bottle of vodka. :thumbsup:

OOPS just saw Simon T's post regards this- sorry !

I've just been told The Blue Sharks version was originally Australian - can anyone verify that ?

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

Say's on the album that it was recorded at Wessex Sound Studio i think or something like that...England, so there you go.

Mark Bicknell.

Hey Mark, why don't you do an all British, or perhaps 1 hour British show on Solar. These records need to be aired!!

John.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

The producer of the record, UK producer Ian Green, is married to Rosetta Hightower lead singer on The Orlons hits and he was on stage with her at her Rocket appearence a few years ago. She sang 'It'll Never Be Over For Me ' then.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tone, you are right, it's not UK, it was made in England and it's by Mary O'brien :thumbsup:

I'm sure Pikey's Dog on here hasn't got one either :thumbsup:

Apologies are in order, I'd never seen this reissue and in fact I didn't know "What;s It Gonna Be" had even been reissued. Still having bought the single when it first came out I offer as an alibi the fact that i didn't actually need to look for a reissue - but having seen this I'll hunt around for one now as it'd be nice to have on a 45...

Thanks for the round-the way tip!

PS: While we're at it can we perhaps agree that Dusty's" What's It Gonna Be" is both a gazillion times better and more soulful than the wretched Susan Barrett version?

Social source share

Hey Mark, why don't you do an all British, or perhaps 1 hour British show on Solar. These records need to be aired!!

John.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi John, Ummmmmm not sure on this one mate, for a start i only collect American records but maybe able to get a special guest in who can cover this idea...i know i can't and i don't think i could play a record by Kenny Lynch.....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Fond memories indeed. Annis was first played by me and Steve Croft at Cleethorpes Winter Gardens along with Mandrill "My Kind Of Girl", Ronnie Dyson "Lady In Red" etc.

We used to spend the Saturday afternoon going through our play boxes and deciding what we were going to "break" that night. Both of us would play the one track twice in each spot. By the end of the night we'd created a Monster!

Have to say though, Annis is one track I'm not particularly proud of but the tempo and feel were so right for what we were trying to do at the time..

I saw a copy in Ian Clarks sales box at Soul Essence the other week and blushed.

In fact I always thought it was actually a Europen recorded track on a UK label?

Either way, a minor piece of history!

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

I LOVE DUSTY, BUT STELLA (BIG BLACK WOMAN, AS SOULFUL AS YOU CAN GET) STARR HITS THE SPOT FOR ME. NOT KEEN ON THEIR RINGO THOUGH.

Social source share

i,m sure ive had a "bring him back" on a b-side, i,m now going to phone around and verify this as me memory aint what it used to be, but i can remember (i think) its on the b-side of whats it gonna be either first issue or obscure 70,s re-issue, but its in me head somewhere,I WILL REMEMBER :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

Paradox .. Ring the changes.. Polydor :yes:

Finally found this after years of trying ,

Barry st John, Kiki Dee , Soul Joe , Tony Colton , Flamma Sherman etc etc

No less worthy/ important than USA soul sides and its just great to see people enthusing about these 45s again...for years they seemed to be forgotten and overlooked on the scene.

UK productions/ pressings always leap out at you over the system played after a worn styrene US rarity..

Always loved em always will;some fantastic records if not strictly "soul " solid centres are boss .

Purists disagree but these 45s are /always were part of our scene.

Social source share

"Invitation" by A Band Of Angels always (still) does it for me.

Piccadilly 7N 35292 - Mike D'Abo at his best.

Also, surprised no mention of Julian Covay "A Little Bit Hurt" (Nottinghams finest - Next to Tats Taylor of course) and The Anglos "Incense"

Pure Class!

Sean Hampsey

D`Abo out of the Barron Knights?,from Leighton Buzzard :yes:

Social source share

Kiki Dee's version of 'I'm Gopnna Run Away From You' is a cracking dancer - heard it a few months back - was this a 45, LP track?

Grant

Fontana 45, Grant.

It's titled "Why Don't I Run Away From You". I think I have a copy somewhere. PM me if you're interested.

Cheers

Godz

Social source share

Interesting to note the writer credit on the song is 'Fogerty'....who? Is the the 'b' side? If so what on the 'a' side?

We did a comparison yesterday between The Blue Sharks version from a Goldmine CD, the Velvelettes version and the instrumental backing track. Whoever's behind The Blue Sharks version did a pretty good job !

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tom Jones - Stop Breaking My Heart... "well I like it anyway"

Yeah, me too.

Sir Tom also deserves props for having people like Wilson Pickett and Aretha Franklin as guests on his 1960s TV show, at a time when you wouldn't otherwise have seen them on UKTV. A good man with good taste in music and at least a few good records in his overall catalogue...

TONE :)

Social source share

Interesting to note the writer credit on the song is 'Fogerty'....who? Is the the 'b' side? If so what on the 'a' side?

We did a comparison yesterday between The Blue Sharks version from a Goldmine CD, the Velvelettes version and the instrumental backing track. Whoever's behind The Blue Sharks version did a pretty good job !

Chekc the version on the Plexium album,none stop hits,dont know what volume?,cant find it at the mo`,suspicously like the Blue Sharks,will do sound file when i find it!! :) even the same year,done by the Mike Morton Congregegation,in the band on vocals is;Barbra Kay;Nikcy North;Sharon Winters,and if not is just as good :D what more amazing,recorded live at the Majestic studios Clapham,London SW 4.

I`m of to search for it now,could be some time wink.gif ,but i`m sure it`ll be worth it,i hope :)

Found it......

Edited by ken
Social source share

As good as any version i have heard :D gotta` be played on propper system,with the bass wakced up,awesome,or am i hearing things :)

:D

Worth a "bump"............... :) fukc i should have covered it up wink.gif doh!! :D

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Found some more:

Marion Ryan - Better Use Your Head (Philips)

Carole Deene - He Just Don't Know (Columbia)

Carol Friday - Everybody I Know (Parlophone)

Elkie Brooks - The Way You Do The Things You Do (Decca)

Stevie Kimble - All he Time In The World (Decca)

Patrick Kerr - Magic Potion b/w It's No Trouble To Love You (Decca)

Val McKenna - Mixed-Up Shook-Up Girl b/w Now That You've Made Up Your Mind (Piccadilly)

:rolleyes:

Social source share

As good as any version i have heard :yes: gotta` be played on propper system,with the bass wakced up,awesome,or am i hearing things :rolleyes:

ph34r.gif

So everybody thinks its shite then? :D

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

This confiused me at first when people had said UK releases etc anyway to the point best ever Northern tune by a British artist is Jimmy James - A Man Like Me, how people forget this is beyond me and truely a legend, seen him live 3 times met him once and he just shows how good he is.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

This confiused me at first when people had said UK releases etc anyway to the point best ever Northern tune by a British artist is Jimmy James - A Man Like Me, how people forget this is beyond me and truely a legend, seen him live 3 times met him once and he just shows how good he is.

Kevin Rowland of Dexy's Midnight Runners must think that Jimmy James is good, too - just don't ask him where he nicked the tune for the chorus of "Come On Eileen" from!

TONE whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

So everybody thinks its shite then? whistling.gif

Its the same as the Blue Sharks 45 ....So it was a Uk recording then, Plexium comp you say Ken ?

Social source share

Its the same as the Blue Sharks 45 ....So it was a Uk recording then, Plexium comp you say Ken ?

Not same as Blue Sharks,now i have listened to the others,but is on Plexium and recorded in south london,so British laugh.gif but is it crap? :shades:

Edited by ken
Social source share

"Invitation" by A Band Of Angels always (still) does it for me.

Piccadilly 7N 35292 - Mike D'Abo at his best.

Also, surprised no mention of Julian Covay "A Little Bit Hurt" (Nottinghams finest - Next to Tats Taylor of course) and The Anglos "Incense"

Pure Class!

Sean Hampsey

Aren't the Anglos from the US, although Incense had 3 british releases (Island, Brit and Fontana) there was also the fantastic 'Since You've Been Gone (Scepter).

Other goodies -

Lulu - Nothing Left To Do Than Cry (get beat ballad better than Elkie on her UK EP)

Ronnie Hall - I'm Going Nowhere (Fontana)

The Chants - Sweetest Feeling/Candy (RCA - under rated double sider)

J J Jackson - Come See Me (Strike)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!