• Replies 26
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest uroffal

I don't think it's him. Was talking to Andy Rix years ago about this and we came to the conclusion it was Jimmy Radcliffe.

Wasn't the original studio disc is a UK test pressing, Adivision or summat like (played by Ion?) so maybe he's English?

Was def an Ion spin originally - still have it on tape somewhere from around '83/'84

Social source share

Can someone confirm who the vocalist is on this rather fantastic Kent Anniversary 45? It sure ain't Chubby Checker !

Was told that it's the same guy on Swan - Sammy Sevens - 'you are a lucky so and so' and 'Everybody Crossfire'......but then my mate Perry said Sammy Sevens was Chubby Checker!!!! Anyone confirm this?

Social source share

Definately sounds like Jimmy to me and I was told it was by someone, but the increasingly faulty memory can't remember who. Why put it out as Chubby Checker? If it was from an acetate maybe there was no name on it. Great track anyway.

Social source share

Definately sounds like Jimmy to me and I was told it was by someone, but the increasingly faulty memory can't remember who. Why put it out as Chubby Checker? If it was from an acetate maybe there was no name on it. Great track anyway.

It's not Jimmy Radcliffe or Chubby Checker :lol: . My hubby used to have this record, but sold it years ago :lol: , have got it on tape somewhere......but trying to find it amongst a hundred or more :lol: . Just can't remember the name will come back as soon as pos.

Edited by asboannie
Social source share

It's not Jimmy Radcliffe or Chubby Checker :lol: . My hubby used to have this record, but sold it years ago :lol: , have got it on tape somewhere......but trying to find it amongst a hundred or more :lol: . Just can't remember the name will come back as soon as pos.

thought this version unreleased, test press only.

Social source share

my mate Perry said Sammy Sevens was Chubby Checker!!!!

I cant confirm it, but I've always thought it.

From first hearing "Everybody Crossfire" (covered up as Jerry Ross back then) I swore it was Chubby Checker - such an uncanny resemblence in vocal phrasing.

I could well imagine old Chubby doing a little moonlighting across town at Swan under the pseudynym of Sammy Sevens.

Social source share

It is on an Advision acetate (New Bond St.W1), which Ion got from Tim Ashibende and now resides with Ady Croasdell, there is no artist credited on the label, just the title. As for the true artist all is speculation.

Check the guy's radio show from the States. It's Jimmy Radcliffe. He didn't even know it came out over here so he's playing a genuine disc.

Social source share

It is on an Advision acetate (New Bond St.W1), which Ion got from Tim Ashibende and now resides with Ady Croasdell, there is no artist credited on the label, just the title. As for the true artist all is speculation.

Are u sure there is no name on the acetate. I was round Tims house just after he bought it (amongst a pile of things) and didn't really rate it. I thought he would be able to make use it, which of couse he did. I thought it was written on the disc but then perhaps it was just written on the sleeve. It was a long time ago (20 years??) and u tend to forget the ins and outs.

Social source share

I don't think it's him. Was talking to Andy Rix years ago about this and we came to the conclusion it was Jimmy Radcliffe.

Wasn't the original studio disc is a UK test pressing, Adivision or summat like (played by Ion?) so maybe he's English?

I'm sure I've read that Jimmy R was over in the UK in the 60's with a band touring at the time, but not performing as such.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky
Check the guy's radio show from the States. It's Jimmy Radcliffe. He didn't even know it came out over here so he's playing a genuine disc.
Pete, can you get back in touch see what label and who it will end the arguement on this, then again maybe not. :rolleyes:ph34r.gif
Social source share

• 11 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!