Cueing perils

John May

Thanks to Danny for continued suggestions, have now moved the Tools and Tackle section to the forum as hopefully work better

Idea being a section for guides and it "come in usefull" one day sort of stuff

At moment just one section, however if need be can have subsections

Basically anything that is loosely soul related, such as vinyl care, dj-ing techniques, terms, audio, soul on pc and so on should fit in, and provide a handy sorta  thing

if on travels round forum see something that is worthwhile and fits it - please hit the "report button" and mods will move it

link

Great idea Mike, Can I be the first with a top tip.

When D.Jing don't bother trying to get your cueing in bang on, moving the record backwards and forwards ruins your vinyl. Put the needle on the record and gently move it forwards to make sure the needle is in the groove. When its time to start the record press start, the record will play, a good D.J will always introduce a record in such away that you'll never notice it asn't been cued in.

Cueing in ruins vinyl !

Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I reckon a good DJ should shut up and let the music talk ........... and of course cue it properly in the first place so there is no awful gap. I've seen some shocking cueing of records ...... and heard some right muffled drivel coming from over used mics.

Social source share

I agree with Hipshaker, some people do witter on too much between songs (maybe they're disguising the fact they can't cue up.. wink.gif ). IMO in a well put together set the songs flow into each other... ok it is nice to know what tunes are but half the time you can't make out what people are saying... and you can always ask. Just follow Frank's instructions for checking the decks are ok and not going to cause any damage blink.gif ...or maybe I just hate speaking on a mic.. ph34r.gif

Social source share

I reckon a good DJ should shut up and let the music talk ........... and of course cue it properly in the first place so there is no awful gap. I've seen some shocking cueing of records ...... and heard some right muffled drivel coming from over used mics.

link

Hang on a minute, the point i was making was about how to prevent damaging records. The whole point of the Tools & Tackle forum is to put forward helpfull tips.

Your point about D.J's shutting up and letting the music talk, could be an excellent topic in the All about soul Forum.

Social source share

Hang on a minute, the point i was making was about how to prevent damaging records. 

link

and very well put. Back cuing does damge records particularly styrene copies. Records normally fade with about seven seconds to go which gives you plenty of time to start up the next one regardless of where the stylus is in the groove. I admire DJ's (e.g Jo Wallace) who can use a mic, and add add to the atmosphere but if like me you don't use one, use a torch or a good light and place the stylus in the non music section of the groove and do not pull it back. If there is a gap fill it with your own applause;)

Social source share

Hang on a minute, the point i was making was about how to prevent damaging records.  The whole point of the Tools & Tackle forum is to put forward helpfull tips.

Your point about D.J's shutting up and letting the music talk, could be an excellent topic in the All about soul Forum.

link

Yes John ....... I take your point but it just seemed worthy of commenting on as you were talking about cueing. And on tat note, a decent stylus must surely help. We use the Ortofon DJ ones and they seem ok.

I too admire a touch of decent mic technique (in very small doses I might add) but not everyone has it. On the occasions I've heard Kev Roberts using the mic he's sounded good but then I'd guess his radio experience helps. Often DJ's shout which is a bit silly really as the mic is there to project the voice or what they are saying is extremely muffled. Maybe a decent sound system is the answer or a decent sound check. Of course, I whole heartedly support the use of the mic for announcing the winner of the meat raffle!

Also, exactly how much do people want to know about a record? And how many records do they want to hear about? Is a notebook and pen a necessary accessory on the northern soul dancefloor??

Social source share

Also, exactly how much do people want to know about a record? And how many records do they want to hear about? Is a notebook and pen a necessary accessory on the northern soul dancefloor??

link

I need to know every record/label etc, but then i am a "freak"(wax crayon and torn beer mat when all else fails, even used a girl friends eyeliner pencil.)

Now i know i am not alone on this one...........AM I ph34r.gif

Social source share

I need to know every record/label etc, but then i am a "freak"(wax crayon and torn beer mat when all else fails, even used a girl friends eyeliner pencil.)

Now i know i am not alone on this one...........AM I ph34r.gif

I thought I was the ONLY one, thank god for freaks......lol

blink.gifwink.gifwink.giflaugh.gif:lol:

Social source share

Now i know i am not alone on this one...........AM I blink.gif

link

I always text myself... send a message from my own mobile to my own mobile.. then in the morning, it's there as a text message unopened and i always think oh whats that ...open it up and yes now I remember.. ph34r.gif ..

Social source share

I always text myself... send a message from my own mobile to my own mobile.. then in the morning, it's there as a text message unopened and i always think oh whats that ...open it up and yes now I remember.. ph34r.gif ..

link

Now that's what I call a top tip, never heard of that before, I will definatly give it a try...........Brilliant !

Social source share

One major tip for DJ beginners and old farts too. The worst offending spinners are the following;

1. Speaking after every song, stating the obvious, such as 'that was Better Use Your Head' WOW-Great link!

2. Standing around waiting to be applauded for playing something rare.

3. Being unprepared and disorganised while on stage.

A few proffessional tips from.....why an old fart of course.

Social source share

One major tip for DJ beginners and old farts too. The worst offending spinners are the following;

1. Speaking after every song, stating the obvious, such as 'that was Better Use Your Head'      WOW-Great link!

2. Standing around waiting to be applauded for playing something rare.

3. Being unprepared and disorganised while on stage.

A few proffessional tips from.....why an old fart of course.

link

Think me and Janine better pay heed to that Kev, number 3 sounds like us ph34r.gif

Social source share

Think me and Janine better pay heed to that Kev, number 3 sounds like us  ph34r.gif

link

Tee Hee! wink.gif

You don't know how much room is at the back of the decks yet do you? blink.gif

Tip: Take your own cartridges with you when DJing somewhere else - if the ones are in a bad way when you get there swap them over - thus helping to save your precious vinyl!

Social source share

1. Speaking after every song, stating the obvious, such as 'that was Better Use Your Head' WOW-Great link!

As regards to stating the obvious, someone might have never heard of " Better use your head ", what may be obvious to the majority may not be obvious to everyone. IMO a D.J should introduce a record with the minimum fuss (i.e) Artist, Title, maybe Label. that should be as standard. I really get annoyed at so called D.J's who stand beind the decks with hands in pockets and just play tracks one after the other without saying a word, IMO that isn't D.J ing, a child of six can do that...................

Anyways I started this thread about not damaging vinyl, please can we try to stick to the original thread...................

Social source share

1. Speaking after every song, stating the obvious, such as 'that was Better Use Your Head'      WOW-Great link!

As regards to stating the obvious, someone might have never heard of " Better use your head ", what may be obvious to the majority may not be obvious to everyone. IMO a D.J should introduce a record with the minimum fuss (i.e) Artist, Title, maybe Label. that should be as standard. I really get annoyed at so called D.J's who stand beind the decks with hands in pockets and just play tracks one after the other without saying a word, IMO that isn't D.J ing,  a child of six can do that...................

Anyways I started this thread about not damaging vinyl, please can we try to stick to the original thread...................

link

John,

Trust me on this...the scene has moved on. Announcing labels while DJ'ing is old tosh. Collecting and Entertaining are two separate strands.

As a promoter, most complaints are about the 'use your head' type link hence the comment. I agree there may be a handful that don't know it(although I can't think of any), but even they don't want chapter and verse.

At venues, you 'gotta get on with it' and that includes excellent progressive venues like Sheridans(Lifeline). In my opinion if a record hits you and you want to know what it is, then ask the spinner.

Just a little too much standing around 'waiting for claps and adulation' from some corners. Fortunately they don't work for us, which is the reason why we are pretty full at most promotions.

DJ team players who can 'see the big picture' are not easy to hire, renegades who clear floors and have very little poise and co-ordination are easy to locate.

Long winded reply from a promoters point of view.

Social source share

John,

Trust me on this...the scene has moved on. Announcing labels while DJ'ing is old tosh. Collecting and Entertaining are two separate strands.

As a promoter, most complaints are about the 'use your head' type link hence the comment. I agree there may be a handful that don't know it(although I can't think of any), but even they don't want chapter and verse.

At venues, you 'gotta get on with it' and that includes excellent progressive venues like Sheridans(Lifeline). In my opinion if a record hits you and you want to know what it is, then ask the spinner.

Just a little too much standing around 'waiting for claps and adulation' from some corners. Fortunately they don't work for us, which is the reason why we are pretty full at most promotions.

DJ team players who can 'see the big picture' are not easy to hire, renegades who  clear floors and have very little poise and co-ordination are easy to locate.

Long winded reply from a promoters point of view.

link

JOHN,

APOLOGIES...YOU ARE RIGHT IT IS ABOUT CUEING IN ETC. 'NEVER BY STYRENE'

Social source share

Thanks Kev, I think every soul fan has the message by now, you are pretty full at most of your promotions. Why not give it & us a rest & just concentrate on replying to the actual postings & I'm sure in that way you may get a better response from people.

Social source share

Thanks Kev, I think every soul fan has the message by now, you are pretty full at most of your promotions. Why not give it & us a rest & just concentrate on replying to the actual postings & I'm sure in that way you may get a better response from people.

link

What did Bexter say, only I have chosen to ignore his posts so they don't show up on my computer. Was it anything to do with my original topic ?.

Social source share

link

Dave,

Merely offering sound advice to help further the popularity of the scene--not push it backwards.

I did offer my apologies to John for straying from the original nature of the thread.

Right let me think up a new topic....how about I start a new monthly night in.....LONDON.

YES I AM KIDDING. Have a nice day.

Social source share

What did Bexter say, only I have chosen to ignore his posts so they don't show up on my computer.  Was it anything to do with my original topic ?.

link

John,

You obviously won't read this as you 'ignore my posts'. A shame because I was going to offer you 30 grands worth of one off 45's, 6 hard bodied blondes(18-25), a crate of champagne plus a Bentley.

Ah well you don't read my posts..............

Social source share

I feel I should apologise as it was me that took it a little off topic to begin with ................. it didn't take long for the bitching to start though did it??!!

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Cueing perils???

How do you avoid going in off? Do you go for the easy pink or the difficult brown? whistling.gif   blush.gif

link

Always the easy pink mate, going for the brown will only get you a slap! laugh.gif

Social source share

• 3 months later...

I am probably going to sound like a complete idiot, but I had no idea you Brits actually talked over records during your set. This is a completely wild concept to me.

This would never fly over in the states. Over here the importance is placed on the selection of tunes and how they flow together. But what does a 29 yr old American know about proper Soul DJing! whistling.gif Sorry for breaking topic too.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!