Magnificents-There Can Be A Better Way

Are the magnificents- there can be a better way -mam and the smith brothers the same group?i know they are different takes,but I am positive it is the same lead vocalist on both recordings.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks for replying,if you listen closly to both recordings,jack ashfords percussion work is more pronounced on the magnificents take.where as the saxophone is more pronounced on the smith brothers.wonder who is playing the sax?is it a local west coast musician,or did the late great mike terry travel across with jack Ashford ?

Social source share

So dose thus mean the magnificent who did On Main Street are The Smith's then?

no they are not.

is lorraine chandler still on here? if so, or if someone knows, can anyone say where the magnificents on mam / smith brothers are from and possibly give personnel? thanks in advance.

Social source share

I'm here! I have no idea who gave whom the masters and would like to know who authorize the Smith Bros. to be renamed the Magnificents. This is the same record, recorded by the Smith Bros. If anyone knows how I can get in touch with MAM, please help me with the information. I've found no address or telephone number on the west coast that is legitimate. To state it clearly once again, it is the same record done by the Smith Bros.

Lorraine

Social source share

Hi Lorraine. I'm sorry that you got ripped off on this. I hope you find out how the masters got over there. Was "Don't take your love" an unreleased track you produced on the Smith Brothers?

I was wondering if you could give info on who the smith brothers were and where they were from? Did any of the members record in other groups? Thanks for your help.

Social source share

Looks like I have opened a real can of worms,it's just that I was listening to both the other day at home and thought these are definetley the same group. Chris

Social source share

Hi Lorraine. I'm sorry that you got ripped off on this. I hope you find out how the masters got over there. Was "Don't take your love" an unreleased track you produced on the Smith Brothers?

I was wondering if you could give info on who the smith brothers were and where they were from? Did any of the members record in other groups? Thanks for your help.

Hi Boba,

The Smith Brothers are from Detroit and to my knowledge no one recorded with any other group. The only change to their name is when I recorded them under the 11th Commandment. Three of them are blood brothers, hence the super tight harmony. The Funk Brothers is the rhythm section on Let Me Take Care of Your Heart. Besides Baku and Daedalian, I have no idea who those other publishers are on the Shield label or who made the deal on the Shield or MAM labels.

I would have to hear Don't Take Your Love (from Me) to comment on it.

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

Hi Lorraine, thanks so much for the information, I really appreciate it. Here is a youtube clip of "Don't take your love", a really nice ballad:

do you know the names of all the members? I'm just trying to get info to include in the new volume of "Soul Harmony Singles", a reference book where we try to list all group harmony soul 45s from about 1960-1990. Thanks again for your help.

Social source share

Often shown as 'Miko Records' rather than MAM. It says both on the label - confusing :g:

Cheers

Richard

Thanks Richard for the info. I now know why I couldn' find any information on MAM. Miko I know, that's the name of Jack Ashford's oldest daughter. I can follow-up from there.

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

Yes MAM at the top with Miko underneath. It also says Magnificent Records at the bottom.

post-225-0-71371000-1355086576_thumb.jpg

One of the greatest recordings ever put to vinyl.

Hey Chalky,

I totally agree. One of Eddie Parker's best performances and a damn good song, if I must say so myself. Too bad it didn't get the distribution or marketing it deserved. Again, I had no idea it was released.

Lorraine

Social source share

Hey Boba,

The Magnificents and The Smith Brothers are two different groups. Thanks for the clip. Don't Take Your Love, even though I know this song (I don't know why), is not one of mine, nor does it sound like The Smith Brothers' singing.

Lorraine

Social source share

Hey Boba,

The Magnificents and The Smith Brothers are two different groups. Thanks for the clip. Don't Take Your Love, even though I know this song (I don't know why), is not one of mine, nor does it sound like The Smith Brothers' singing.

Lorraine

Social source share

Hi Lorraine,I am the person who initially started this topic.whilst I agree the flip side of the magnificents on MAM are not the Smith Brothers.It is definatly the same lead vocalist on there can be a better way. Chris

Social source share

Hi Lorraine,I am the person who initially started this topic.whilst I agree the flip side of the magnificents on MAM are not the Smith Brothers.It is definatly the same lead vocalist on there can be a better way. Chris

Hi Chris,

Glad you started this thread. It appears that The Magnificents have one side and The Smith Brothers have the other. Not only is the lead the same, the whole song is the same as the original recording of The Smith Brothers, because it is.

Lorraine

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Chris,

Glad you started this thread. It appears that The Magnificents have one side and The Smith Brothers have the other. Not only is the lead the same, the whole song is the same as the original recording of The Smith Brothers, because it is.

Lorraine

Social source share

I hadn't realised that - exactly the same take, or just another version please?

Cheers

Richard

Identical.

Same take.

No doubt.

Magnificents says time is 2:40

Perfections says time is 3:00

But they are both the same 3:01 :)

Magnificents - gives credits to W. Rudds Jr / J. Ashford (Frenchie Pub Co. BMI)

Perfections - gives credits to J. Coleman / J. Ashford / W. Rudds (Ham Music BMI - Closed Circuit Productions Inc.)

:thumbsup:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Hey Sean,

Now I know why I know this song so well, it was written by Jimmy Coleman. Heard it at rehearsals. I am aware of this label and I remember the release but HAM publishing is non-existent.

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine,

We posted at the same time.

The Jimmy Coleman credits are missing from the MAM / Miko Magnificents label.

Just wondering if on the Drumhead release Ham Publishing should read Mam Publishing?

Interesting don't you think?

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Identical.

Same take.

No doubt.

Magnificents says time is 2:40

Perfections says time is 3:00

But they are both the same 3:01 :)

Magnificents - gives credits to W. Rudds Jr / J. Ashford (Frenchie Pub Co. BMI)

Perfections - gives credits to J. Coleman / J. Ashford / W. Rudds (Closed Circuit Productions Inc.)

Sean

Sean,

The Perfections had it first. Jimmy Coleman should get credit.

Lorraine

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Lorraine,

We posted at the same time.

The Jimmy Coleman credits are missing from the MAM / Miko Magnificents label.

Interesting don't you think?

Sean

No Sean,

To me it's sad. I understand getting deals, etc., but credit should be given as due. As in many cases, there was an advance, but the producer, writers and/or artist does not receive any royalties from these record companies.

This is why the praise we do receive from you all is so gratifying, for me, it was worth it.

Lorraine

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Lorraine,firstly may I say what an honour it is to be in touch with one of the all time greats of soul music.when I initially started this thread I also mentioned that I thought they were slightly different takes.Jacks percussion work is more prevalent on the magnificents,what do you think?

Social source share

No Sean,

To me it's sad. I understand getting deals, etc., but credit should be given as due. As in many cases, there was an advance, but the producer, writers and/or artist does not receive any royalties from these record companies.

This is why the praise we do receive from you all is so gratifying, for me, it was worth it.

Lorraine

Indeed Lorraine. As is so often the case; looks as if someone here didn't get their dues.

Sean

Social source share

Hey Chalky,

This sounds like a redo of Jack's when he moved to California. Of what song I don't know. I'm sure it's on his album. That's why I received credit.

Lorraine

I wonder if Jack was involved in MAM somehow? Seems to be a fair bit of of his (and yours) material on the releases.

Social source share

Hi Lorraine,

Didn't Jimmy help write and get credit on 'Love You Baby'?

What else did he write?

Sean

Sean,

Yes, Jimmy Coleman did help write Love You Baby. That is one of my favorite songs. Sorry, I can't help you the other songs he might have penned with Just Productions off the top of my head.

Lorraine

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!