Magnificents-There Can Be A Better Way

Hi Lorraine,firstly may I say what an honour it is to be in touch with one of the all time greats of soul music.when I initially started this thread I also mentioned that I thought they were slightly different takes.Jacks percussion work is more prevalent on the magnificents,what do you think?

Thank you. The honor is mine. Jack has the tapes, so he could overdub other instuments or enhance as he pleased. I'm getting confused because I don't know when you mention The Magnificents are you really talking about The Smith Brothers? Anyway, when you have the tapes/masters, you can do with what you will.

Lorraine

Social source share

Hi Lorraine,firstly may I say what an honour it is to be in touch with one of the all time greats of soul music.when I initially started this thread I also mentioned that I thought they were slightly different takes.Jacks percussion work is more prevalent on the magnificents,what do you think?

I don't know why you keep saying they are different recordings. They're the same recording.

Social source share

Guest Soulfood33

Bob, you need to take a PROPER to the Smith Brothers - it is a DIFFERENT take from the very first note. Smith Brothers has the baritone sax throughout for starters and so many other differences I can't be arsed to list!

Edited by Soulfood33
Social source share

it is a DIFFERENT take from the very first note. Smith Brothers has the baritone sax throughout for starters and so many other differences I can't be arsed to list!

But did Jack Ashford just take the original 8 / 16 / 32 track master-tape & just 'add bits' (the sax) and then re-balance the prominence of what was on the other tracks on the tape to end up with the revised version.

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

it doesn't sound like a different take at all. Just a different mix. The vocal take is definitely identical. The baritone sax hits at exactly the same spot at the start of both versions. It's just mixed louder in one. I can line both of the recordings up in a multitrack editor if you want to compare.

Social source share

whats the information in the runout on the magnificents mam 45,,,,,,delta stamp etc someone actually told me this was a bootleg but ive never owned it or had a good look at one to find out

Hi Dave

Just checked the MAM copy and it has a Monarch Stamp and 'az' scratched on both sides

'There can be' also has '802-A-RE-2' scratched in the run out groove,and a 'delta' #99892

whilst 'Don't take' has simply '802-B' and a 'delta' #99891X although the 1 has been over-scratched from a 2!

Don't have the table to hand but i guess this must be '73/'74 ish? Sure someone will confirm?

Hope this helps? Certinaly interesting stuff that has been discussed on here a few times over the years?

Cheers

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Dave

Just checked the MAM copy and it has a Monarch Stamp and 'az' scratched on both sides

'There can be' also has '802-A-RE-2' scratched in the run out groove,and a 'delta' #99892

whilst 'Don't take' has simply '802-B' and a 'delta' #99891X although the 1 has been over-scratched from a 2!

Don't have the table to hand but i guess this must be '73/'74 ish? Sure someone will confirm?

Hope this helps? Certinaly interesting stuff that has been discussed on here a few times over the years?

Cheers

Steve

June ish 1976.

Social source share

Jack Ashford pressed up at least 500 copies of The Magnificents.

Ian Dewhirst was in LA from August to December 1976 and sent me a handful, between 2 and 4 as I recall.

In 1976 I phoned Jack Ashford and asked if he could supply 500?. He expained he had not paid Monarch for the run and they were

still held by the plant, but if I sent him the money he would get them and ship to me.

I never did the deal, cannot remember why.

A

Social source share

Hi Dave

Cheers

Steve

thanks steve ..it does. think maybe the reason ronnie thought it may be counterfeit was the fact it had a late delta number...the train of thought being all 60`s records have a 5,6,7 or 8 delta mark with the 70`s boots being 9 or 10. and probably never thought that 70`s originals have the later delta numbers

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...

hi all,i have just uploaded my copy of the smith brothers-there can be a better way into refosoul and youtube,and then i was searching around on here for a topic on the song,its interesting to see that the magnificents on mam released the tune,and upon playing both side by side,they are defo the same song without doubt,and if delta numbers mean anything,then the smith bros is defo the first release!

Social source share

• 4 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!