Short Sets?

with the risk of being slagged off for pluggin my nite again....we did half hour sets on saturday...yes you havnt got so much time to mix from one genre or tempo to the other and i like dancin to sets that flow myself.. but it did seem to work...the reason we did it was because we had groups in our crowd that liked the funkier stuff..others that wanted rnb and others that just wanted some oldies and sometimes an hour can be a long time to wait if youre not into it all

as a list half hour sets might not look so good but without being there i think its hard to tell as you cant see what the dancefloor was like at any one time....if a tune empties the floor a sudden change maybe needed when time is short

a dj may also have requests to fit in....good mic. chat or use of the mixer with tunes with good intros may make a change in style or tempo better on the night than it looks ...if you know what i mean??

also think you need to have your playbox in somekind of order!

IMO

dean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Cheers for the replies. Ive got a half an hour set at a good time, 10:30 so was wondering how people chose their sets with only a small time to fit tunes in. The music policy is anything goes as long as its good, but the majority of tunes will be solid northern, not all classics.

I think im going to go for hard and fast, keep things really uptempo.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Cheers for the replies. Ive got a half an hour set at a good time, 10:30 so was wondering how people chose their sets with only a small time to fit tunes in. The music policy is anything goes as long as its good, but the majority of tunes will be solid northern, not all classics.

I think im going to go for hard and fast, keep things really uptempo.

Thats the ticket.......you'll fill the dance floor and give the guy following you something to think about just as it should be :thumbsup::yes::)

Social source share

Every one has half an hour sets. I can really see the pros/cons. The pros is that the DJs have to think really hard about what songs to pick, so in theory its going to be all killer no filler (but obvisously as the used to be cool now crap thread shows really well, not every one likes the same songs). But it doesnt give you the chance to touch on as many different areas.

Social source share

Every one has half an hour sets. I can really see the pros/cons. The pros is that the DJs have to think really hard about what songs to pick, so in theory its going to be all killer no filler (but obvisously as the used to be cool now crap thread shows really well, not every one likes the same songs). But it doesnt give you the chance to touch on as many different areas.

The pro's? Might that be the Four Pro's,because a promoter,dj,cleared his OWN dancefloor with 'Just another girl' here back in the summer.I wasn't there,he told me.However,he cut it short and rescued the situation with a Harold Melvin 70's chart filler!! So you never know what reaction you'll get but just be brave and tell 'em 'Get on this you fukkers',but be sure the car engine is running!! Good luck with your spot. Les Ash.
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Never done a spot of less than an hour - what would be the point - just to get behind a pair of decks?

Because the promoter asks you to.? Because its a challenge? 2x 30 min slots,2 x 45 min slots.? Because there's alot of dj's booked,maybe for charity? The point may be you're honoured to be asked to do it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On the mod and RnB scenes 30 minutes is the standard DJ set with people doing 2 sets, one early and one late. It works well as it usually gets a good mix of sounds. Ive been to too many nights where people play for themselves and dont care if anyboby is dancing as long as its rare and they can show off their collection. Atleast with a 30 min set you dont have to put up with them for too long!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ive been to too many nights where people play for themselves and dont care if anyboby is dancing as long as its rare and they can show off their collection.

Then perhaps they shouldn't have been booked as a DJ in the first place ! So it wouldn't matter how long the sets were if you'd got the right DJs.

I have to say, personally, I don't like 30 minute sets because it doesn't give you enough time to finish your pint never mind play a decent spot

Edited by Dave Rimmer
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

We always had 2 x 30 minute sets at DDA, and it worked really well. Plus there was the added bonus that everyone got a decent time (which, in a night that ends at 1 or 2am isn't possible if everyone does 1 x 60 minute set)

I personally don't see what the problem is - 30, 60, 90 minutes? If you struggle to do it then perhaps it isn't for you

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I like 30min spotS, yep plural, some punters don't like what they hear sometimes, so with the 30min spot working they can go for a piss, stop at the bar on the way back, have a quick chat then hey-presto the dj that was on is now sitting down supping ale, then..... lo-&-behold your fav. jock is on :yes: !! when the dj that wasn't playing "your bag" is back on you've only got an half hour to repeat the process :thumbsup:

Keep the faith poppies :rolleyes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Then perhaps they shouldn't have been booked as a DJ in the first place ! So it wouldn't matter how long the sets were if you'd got the right DJs.

I have to say, personally, I don't like 30 minute sets because it doesn't give you enough time to finish your pint never mind play a decent spot

:ohmy: 30 minutes is enough for TWO pints!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

very difficult to choose a 'pre set routine' when you don't know what the DJ/s before you are going to play. Best take a selection of more than you need, but all playable tunes just in case. I have seen many a DJ come unstuck when he has only taken just enough records for the time of his set, and the DJ before him has played a few of them.

Boy scout rule - Be prepared!

Social source share

i think most of us take between 1-200 tracks so more than enuff choice..ive never taken less then a 50 box for the smallest set at a charity/birthday gig with lots of djs...like someone else said dont make your set up before hand...have an idea but be prepared with a plan b if your chosen have been played or the crowds into sumfin else!..most of all enjoy!

Social source share

Recently played at Alderley Edge and did 2 - 1/2 hr spots. Early and 'late' doh !! Very difficult to get motivated in 1/2 hr as as you get started its time to plan your last few to go out with. I suppose its good in many ways for the Punters 'cause despite the DJs all playing 'Oldies' 'Crossover' or whatever, every DJ has a different feel and so there is a variety. DJ comes on and you don't like the suff he or she plays then you only have to put up with them a short time.

As a DJ its not good but if thats how the organisers want it then so be it !!

Social source share

We were looking to change our format at The Ph*&£%X so the main Guest gets a full 1 1/2 Hrs and so give them the opportunity to express themselves fully.

This topic has been done before and it split the crowd. The short spots for variety but long spots for character building. Personal taste.

I prefer the longer spot as a DJ but shorter spots as a punter. Can't even please myself !!!

Social source share

Because the promoter asks you to.? Because its a challenge? 2x 30 min slots,2 x 45 min slots.? Because there's alot of dj's booked,maybe for charity? The point may be you're honoured to be asked to do it.

Thanks for quoting me KevH, I fully understand my opinions aren't always popular (and they never were), but back in the 'good old days' (I think that's irony?) I don't think a promoter would ever ask a dj to do 30 minutes. I would also like to say, that I made no reference to 'decent' dj's as cited in your later post (not that you implied I did, but clarity and all that), I wouldn't be qualified to make that judgment.

decent djs deserve more than an hour ! If you aint got the records dont attempt to dj. Less djs per event thats what i say :)

And Toads point about "too many dj's" seems fairly relevant to me, though I think an hour is enough eh?

The world has clearly turned since I was an active member of the scene, and in truth, who cares what I think! Even I don't...

Edited by Rich B
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

It's the best thing can ever happen, stop all those bloody beat ballads towards the end of peoples sets,

when it's only half way throught he night.

Why do they do it, is it cos they're gonna bugger off as soon as their set is finished.

so true love it............"emporer of my babys heart" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!