Djs Playing For Themselves..?

Citizen P

Think you'll get a few people disagree with you!

How you've outlined it, is how it 'should' be, and is what the scene was built on.

Problem is, these days new records are getting harder to find, and some of the DJ's have paid a lot for their 'rare' records, unfortunately, 'rare' doesn't equal 'good'.

back in the day there was a hell of a lot of crap played, and i think it was more of 'this has the sort of beat that'll work, and most will be off their heads and not really notice it's the theme to Joe 90!'

Tempo of the majority of tunes has come down as people have got older too.

I think there are still some decent DJ's who break 'new' sounds in between the stuff they're generally known for, which is how it should be, and people who go to all nighters where those DJ's are on, know what to expect, same with the all nighters that have a 'sound' that's associated with them.

Problems start when you get people who dont go out that often, don't really spend most of their waking hours listening to the various types of 'soul' music, going to venues, possibly recommended by mates, or because they've seen somewhere getting mentioned a lot, and not really knowing what they hear.

Then, there are (in my opinion) some DJs who collect 'rare' records for their rarity, and not because they think it will fill the floor, therefor they end up playing records that are 'rare' - but shit!

I know what I like, and I know where plays it, and I know the DJs that play it too. I like to hear stuff I haven't heard before, and I collect records too (original vinyl)

Most DJs passed their 'big' records on as soon as a few people had them back in those heady days of the 70s, and had medium sized, ever changing collection. That doesn't really happen anymore, records get collected.

The most annoying thing is when a DJ who has a good, decent sized, across the board collection, doesn't try to match some of their set to venue they're playing in.

Social source share

why does rare always equal "shit" majority of the floor fillers are "rare", some expensive tunes to me are crap but to others they think they are amazing visa versa, some cheap floor fillers i think are crap and to others amazing, each to their own we all like different things but mostly have a love for much the same, a dj should play what they is known to play as thats why the Promoter has hired them surely and if they feel a record needs to be played because they beleive in that record then they should play it wether its expensive, rare, cheap etc etc etc.

a dj shouldnt accept a booking if they are asked to play to the music policy of said venue then play something completey unsuitable or just dont have the tunes to be able to, again that comes down to the promoter knowing their djs. blame the promoter if the dj plays what they are known to play not the dj

seems to me that a lot of the time its the punters that dictate what a dj should play not the dj.

the other week i went to Oxford Soul Club and Soul Sam did an hour and Half and played expensive, rare, newies, unkowns, crossover, classics, oldies, modern etc etc etc, something for everyone and the floor never emptied, sometimes thinned out but that set had something for everyone which i enjoyed from start to finish.

give me a dj that thinks and tries to express their taste on a venue all day long

Social source share

why does rare always equal "shit" majority of the floor fillers are "rare", some expensive tunes to me are crap but to others they think they are amazing visa versa, some cheap floor fillers i think are crap and to others amazing, each to their own we all like different things but mostly have a love for much the same, a dj should play what they is known to play as thats why the Promoter has hired them surely and if they feel a record needs to be played because they beleive in that record then they should play it wether its expensive, rare, cheap etc etc etc.

a dj shouldnt accept a booking if they are asked to play to the music policy of said venue then play something completey unsuitable or just dont have the tunes to be able to, again that comes down to the promoter knowing their djs. blame the promoter if the dj plays what they are known to play not the dj

seems to me that a lot of the time its the punters that dictate what a dj should play not the dj.

the other week i went to Oxford Soul Club and Soul Sam did an hour and Half and played expensive, rare, newies, unkowns, crossover, classics, oldies, modern etc etc etc, something for everyone and the floor never emptied, sometimes thinned out but that set had something for everyone which i enjoyed from start to finish.

give me a dj that thinks and tries to express their taste on a venue all day long

Nobody said rare always equals shit, and I agree with what you say about DJs and promoters taking or making bookings.

Like it or not, most venues are known to have some sort of music policy, which is why they end up with the followings they do - Burnley for one - people go to them because they know the kind of thing they're going to hear, but look forward to hearing stuff that's new to them (but along the same musical lines) at the same time.

And I agree, there's more than enough good tunes that are cheap that should and could be played, and no one ever expects to only hear records that cost a few hundred quid at least when they go out, that would be madness. BUT there are some people to who the fact that a record cost £800+ is the most important thing, and not that they could have played a £10 record that's not very well known, but would have got a better reaction.

I don't think anywhere that changes it's music policy at every event will survive.

You got it dead right about Sam:

"Soul Sam did an hour and Half and played expensive, rare, newies, unkowns, crossover, classics, oldies, modern etc etc etc, something for everyone and the floor never emptied, sometimes thinned out but that set had something for everyone which i enjoyed from start to finish."

Exactly! Something for everyone, but still keeping in with what people expect of Sam.

I see a 'disagreement' almost daily on here because someone is trying to express their taste on the rest of Soul Source!

:thumbsup:

Edited by MrC
Social source share

I see a 'disagreement' almost daily on here because someone is trying to express their taste on the rest of Soul Source!

I think 'Force their taste' on the rest of Soul Source rather than express !!

Some folk don't believe that others could possibly know what they like because its not what they like.

Vive La Differance !!

Social source share

Nobody said rare always equals shit, and I agree with what you say about DJs and promoters taking or making bookings.

Like it or not, most venues are known to have some sort of music policy, which is why they end up with the followings they do - Burnley for one - people go to them because they know the kind of thing they're going to hear, but look forward to hearing stuff that's new to them (but along the same musical lines) at the same time.

And I agree, there's more than enough good tunes that are cheap that should and could be played, and no one ever expects to only hear records that cost a few hundred quid at least when they go out, that would be madness. BUT there are some people to who the fact that a record cost £800+ is the most important thing, and not that they could have played a £10 record that's not very well known, but would have got a better reaction.

I don't anywhere that changes it's music policy at every event will survive.

You got it dead right about Sam:

"Soul Sam did an hour and Half and played expensive, rare, newies, unkowns, crossover, classics, oldies, modern etc etc etc, something for everyone and the floor never emptied, sometimes thinned out but that set had something for everyone which i enjoyed from start to finish."

Exactly! Something for everyone, but still keeping in with what people expect of Sam.

Mr C. you said rare = shit in your first post :lol: also why play a cheap record if a £800+ record could fill the floor better :wicked:

sorry not picking on you although it probably seems that way :thumbsup:

atb

Bearsy

Social source share

Mr C. you said rare = shit in your first post :lol:also why play a cheap record if a £800+ record could fill the floor better :wicked:

sorry not picking on you although it probably seems that way :thumbsup:

atb

Bearsy

I agree with your £800 record statement, but even though I collect originals (some of which have cost me quite a bit), and DJ out occasionally, I don't currently have anything that is worth £800! (Although I have plenty of underplayed/semi known cheap things that sound like they SHOULD cost £800) :lol:

Actually,what I said was.....

......unfortunately, 'rare' doesn't equal 'good'.

.....records that are 'rare' - but shit!

:rofl:

Never thought you were picking on me either, I am aware that 'other opinions are available, not just the one expressed by the poster'

:lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

It,s the venue that should decide it,s music policy first and foremost....then have residents that play/like said music....and lastly only yes ONLY! have guests that also LIKE/play that music.

What may l ask would be the point of having a for instance MODERN/HOUSE venue and asking ginger,sean chapman and/or mark freeman to come along to dj....then moan cause you got a banging oldies set......or indeed the same in reverse....you,ll get slagged all ways around........and why the hell would a dj ask to dj at a club that they know full well don,t play what they (the dj) don,t play. Lastly.....a dj should never put themselves forward or accept a spot.....just because they think they know what a place plays.....because everytime i,ve been present when that happens....it never works,never fits and never flows....the dj usually blames the punters shrugs his shoulders and never attends again,not that he did in the first place....and a classic told to me by one of these fellas who'd walked a mighty walk of shame......"didn,t know what they played here?" thats because usually they never go so how can they know.

p.s It,s not about putting records on one after the other in a nice cross the board way.......don,t work!!

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Of all the comments I see on here, this is right up there with the others that really get up my arris..

Playing for themselves,, really ???

Is not more a case of..

" I think this is a good record and deserves its place in the Sun.Let's see what you think"

This is what the scene was built on.

Wasn't It ??

Bill

Tony, wtf have you changed ur name on here to Bill Switchgear!! :rofl:

Social source share

Christ another oldies vs. newies topic.

The northern soul scene was built on rare records, the rarer the better. Many of the big records from the major venues over the years were extremely rare and in many cases they have remained extremely rare. There is no difference between the so called northern soul scene and the rare soul scene so lets get that out of the way straight away.

Anyway back to the question, it gets up my arris (whatever that is) as well :lol: when ever I've DJ'ed I've asked what sort of set is wanted and I've done what the promoter asks. If that isn't right for the night then it isn't my fault. It's time promoters were questioned rather than lay the blame for everything that goes wrong on th DJ.

An arris is (very nearly) an anagram.

Social source share

I used the word "harris" on another thread yesterday.So that was the original use of the word.The rest are re-issues.

Hey Kev, OFF TOPIC, but I've just downloaded your avatar album from HDTracks.com run by Linn, in 192kHz high bit resolution and it sounds absolute awesome. Always loved the Velvets, now even more in HD.

Aid.

Social source share

I think 'Force their taste' on the rest of Soul Source rather than express !!

Some folk don't believe that others could possibly know what they like because its not what they like.

Vive La Differance !!

It's a matter of respect........I've always respected people with no taste :D

Len :thumbsup:

Social source share

and a classic told to me by one of these fellas who'd walked a mighty walk of shame......"didn,t know what they played here?" thats because usually they never go so how can they know.

Hi Terry,

I understand and agree with your point about D.J's not excepting a booking if they know they wouldn't suit a venue, but in the 'case' you mention it sounds like the D.J in question didn't know what they played there - because he said "didn't know what they played there". My point is, if this D.J was booked, surely it's the promoters fault for booking him - more than likely on a 'BIG NAME' only basis, so actually - the promoter didn't know what the D.J plays.

You may expect D.J's to take the responsibility of researching a venue when taking a booking - if so, I disagree, I think if a D.J is booked they should be able to presume the promoter knows what they are doing, thus presume they will suit the venue.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Hi Terry,

I understand and agree with your point about D.J's not excepting a booking if they know they wouldn't suit a venue, but in the 'case' you mention it sounds like the D.J in question didn't know what they played there - because he said "didn't know what they played there". My point is, if this D.J was booked, surely it's the promoters fault for booking him - more than likely on a 'BIG NAME' only basis, so actually - the promoter didn't know what the D.J plays.

All the best,

O.K then len........you're a sheet metal fabricator...........making structures out of steel so if someone asks you to build a jumbo jet (they're made of steel) you'd say yep o.k just because they,ve asked...and because you're a sheet metal fabricator.....no you,d say because it,s not my kind of sheet metal......or l ain,t ever going in a plane again lol.

Put the right fuel in the right in the right vehicle....and it,ll go beautifully

p.s if a dj has to research a venue he/she has no place being there....if ya wanna play there go there

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

O.K then len........you're a sheet metal fabricator...........making structures out of steel so if someone asks you to build a jumbo jet (they're made of steel) you'd say yep o.k just because they,ve asked...and because you're a sheet metal fabricator.....no you,d say because it,s not my kind of sheet metal......or l ain,t ever going in a plane again lol.

Put the right fuel in the right in the right vehicle....and it,ll go beautifully

p.s if a dj has to research a venue he/she has no place being there....if ya wanna play there go there

He did make me some nice bespoke panels for my race car though :P ...sorry off topic

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

He did make me some nice bespoke panels for my race car though :P ...sorry off topic

yeh....that don,t count as it,s battery operated

Social source share

Hey Kev, OFF TOPIC, but I've just downloaded your avatar album from HDTracks.com run by Linn, in 192kHz high bit resolution and it sounds absolute awesome. Always loved the Velvets, now even more in HD.

Aid.

Aid,think you've got the wrong KevH.(poss Kev Higham?).

Wish i knew how to download/upload etc.PM me a link to the avatar album you speak of.

Social source share

Of all the comments I see on here, this is right up there with the others that really get up my arris.. Playing for themselves,, really ??? Is not more a case of.. " I think this is a good record and deserves its place in the Sun.Let's see what you think" This is what the scene was built on. Wasn't It ??

Bill

The scene was built on dancing to uptempo Motownesque records, fill or empty the floor, latter not required thank you.

Social source share

Yes that’s absolutely correct, we both agree that when the ‘wrong fuel’ is put in it won’t work as well, but who’s at fault? - The promoter or the D.J? I think more often than not, it’s the promoter.

I do agree there is a something to be said about D.J’s doing places they don’t frequent….But, in some cases the said D.J could be a very busy one so their visit is literally only when they D.J — This is when it is completely down to the promoter to make the decision whether the D.J would suit the venue or not.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

The scene was built on dancing to uptempo Motownesque records, fill or empty the floor, latter not required thank you.

But the scene has evolved over the years, different tempos and genres have become common place, coming and going as tastes and styles dictate. It wasn't just uptempo though in the early days of the scene.

Social source share

I think people’s views depend on their personal journey; I got into the scene in the 80’s when the music was different to the early years. I hope Jocko doesn’t mind me quoting him, but the other week we were chatting and he said to me “I used to frequent places where, if you cleared the floor it was seen as a compliment” - I fully understand that comment, whereas I know others will be almost disgusted at it.

Each to his own an’ all that - I love listening to and ‘dancing hard’ to Up-tempo Soul, but I also love listening to and dancing (not so hard) to Mid-tempo Soul. Sometimes I feel like shouting “Listen Cloth Ears!!!” because I feel so strongly that some people are missing out on these beautiful records.

All the best,

Len (Sleepy Head) :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Actually I didn't think it was ....until now you've said! :lol:

Oh well, it's better than the other one....

All the best,

More of a 'style' or 'tempo' argument, can't see the oldies v newies connection at all.

Whatever it is, it's still something that causes mixed reactions, and I like it!!

Social source share

This is one example where I think no one is really at fault, but shows how sometimes even the best intensions don’t work. I hope the D.J’s or event involved don’t mind me mentioning them by name - If so, P.M me and I will delete accordingly.

The venue was Lutterworth - They had an anniversary do, and thought it a good idea to book Mick H and John McClure, I would imagine their thinking behind this was that those two would bring people to the event, and that they were confident they would go down a storm.

Apparently there were enough people there but unfortunately, both John and Mick weren’t received very well at all and poor Mick even had someone have a go at him. I know he doesn’t often do Soul Nights being the busy man he is, so for him (and John to be fare) to D.J there, was doing a kind thing.

Now, I think this set of circumstances was just ‘one of those things’ and not to be picked apart (‘should the promoter have booked them or should the D.J’s have turned the booking down?)

My point in showing this is that if sometimes something isn’t quite right, let’s not hang the promoter or the D.J out to dry. Especially if it’s just one of a set of D.J’s that doesn’t quite work, because I bet whenever these rare situations do arise, the poor D.J in question would have tried his best and most probably suffered enough - Heck, you still have the rest of the night to focus on :yes:

Ref the original post, I agree - No D.J plays for themselves, they simply try to share the enjoyment they get from their records, that’s all.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Its difficult to 'Check Out' an event for a DJ. Someone books you for 3 months down the line but you are booked out for the 2 Months leading up to it and its not possible to get to the place to check it out. Can't go everywhere whereas a Promoter has his/her event once a Month ( more often) and so is able to go out the rest of the Month to see said DJ and so make a valued judgement. The onus should lie solely at the feet of the Promoter. I book a DJ because I know the stuff he/she plays and see that he/she would be ideal for my venue. Don't pick a name at Random and expect them to tell me if it is there bag !!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

This is one example where I think no one is really at fault, but shows how sometimes even the best intensions don’t work. I hope the D.J’s or event involved don’t mind me mentioning them by name - If so, P.M me and I will delete accordingly.

The venue was Lutterworth - They had an anniversary do, and thought it a good idea to book Mick H and John McClure, I would imagine their thinking behind this was that those two would bring people to the event, and that they were confident they would go down a storm.

Apparently there were enough people there but unfortunately, both John and Mick weren’t received very well at all and poor Mick even had someone have a go at him. I know he doesn’t often do Soul Nights being the busy man he is, so for him (and John to be fare) to D.J there, was doing a kind thing.

Now, I think this set of circumstances was just ‘one of those things’ and not to be picked apart (‘should the promoter have booked them or should the D.J’s have turned the booking down?)

My point in showing this is that if sometimes something isn’t quite right, let’s not hang the promoter or the D.J out to dry. Especially if it’s just one of a set of D.J’s that doesn’t quite work, because I bet whenever these rare situations do arise, the poor D.J in question would have tried his best and most probably suffered enough - Heck, you still have the rest of the night to focus on :yes:

Ref the original post, I agree - No D.J plays for themselves, they simply try to share the enjoyment they get from their records, that’s all.

All the best,

I was there that night Micks and Johns sets were quality as you would expect but the promoters IMO made the mistake of putting them on one after the other. Ian James who is primarily an oldies dj was on before them and really should have split them up would have then mixed the night up a bit

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest kev such

All the best,

Len

You got Lutterworth wrong Len.

John played to impress a very small percentage of people in the room and to try and impress Mick. Which he probably wouldnt have stood a cat in hells chance of doing. John even had a snipe at one of the other dj's by saying "well you played that wrong didnt you, you played for them and not yourself". I was there that night and I saw and heard it all.

When a Dj believes he is better than the music he is playing it matters not one jot where they are invited to play they will ALWAYS do it with an air of self importance and should probably only play to a selective audience in their record room.

Even though it fricking pains me to admit it I agree with Terrys post earlier, thats how it is and should be. This doesnt mean Im sending Terry or expecting a Christmas card

Kev

Social source share

All the best,

Len

John played to impress a very small percentage of people in the room and to try and impress Mick. Which he probably wouldnt have stood a cat in hells chance of doing. John even had a snipe at one of the other dj's by saying "well you played that wrong didnt you, you played for them and not yourself". I was there that night and I saw and heard it all.

When a Dj believes he is better than the music he is playing it matters not one jot where they are invited to play they will ALWAYS do it with an air of self importance and should probably only play to a selective audience in their record room.

Even though it fricking pains me to admit it I agree with Terrys post earlier, thats how it is and should be. This doesnt mean Im sending Terry or expecting a Christmas card

Kev

Sadly your confusing two good ,respectable dj's who give a lot of their own time and personal expense for " roadshow dj's"!

If you really want guest dj's to play regular records that everyone in the room is familiar with ,why not buy a big box of records and take it in turns to relieve each other of the laborious duty of standing on your feet and twiddling knobs for a whole hr !

Some people's attitudes always seem to revolve around the belief that a dj is paid to do a job ,and therefore should be a good little boy / girl and play what everyone knows and likes to dance to ?

If either of the dj's at this event failed to impress or deliver ,then maybe the venue organiser gambled when he booked em ,in the hope they'd sell seats ,but maybe got it wrong cos the venue didnt merit their services ?

Promoters book dj's ,if the punters didnt like what was on offer ..blame the promoter !

Instead of taking the view that " they booked these guys to do a job and fill the floor but they failed " why not accept that the promoter got it wrong on this occasion ..surely he booked em and organised the play order ?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Sadly your confusing two good ,respectable dj's who give a lot of their own time and personal expense for " roadshow dj's"!

If you really want guest dj's to play regular records that everyone in the room is familiar with ,why not buy a big box of records and take it in turns to relieve each other of the laborious duty of standing on your feet and twiddling knobs for a whole hr !

Some people's attitudes always seem to revolve around the belief that a dj is paid to do a job ,and therefore should be a good little boy / girl and play what everyone knows and likes to dance to ?

If either of the dj's at this event failed to impress or deliver ,then maybe the venue organiser gambled when he booked em ,in the hope they'd sell seats ,but maybe got it wrong cos the venue didnt merit their services ?

Promoters book dj's ,if the punters didnt like what was on offer ..blame the promoter !

Instead of taking the view that " they booked these guys to do a job and fill the floor but they failed " why not accept that the promoter got it wrong on this occasion ..surely he booked em and organised the play order ?

Amen

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

All the best,

l was there lol :D :D :D

Social source share

No disrespect to the original poster but it is the same old debate ....

Promoters who book dj's need to be sure they are booking the right dj's, who have the records to compliment the venue .

Too often promoters book dj's in order for a return favour and too many people are promoting events to be dj's !

Playing to yourself is a term chosen by people who don't dj ,usually don't own records and usually people who think dj's have every record on the planet in a 200 count box !

Most dj's I've met or heard are genuinely trying to play records that they think will go down well .

Some fail cos they haven't got the right records for that venue and others cos they can't string a set together .

Sometimes as Ted states ,it's down to wrong dj slots at the wrong time of night or someone playing a incredible set and then the next dj not being able to follow it ?

So many reasons ,but no matter what ,people who harass dj's during a set are total arseholes, should show some respect and talk to the promoter to express their anger !

Yes, well said. I put loads of thought in a D.J line up - More so, than a set believe it or not. I see a night being made up of layers, building up nicely, usually for the main guest to take it 'up, up and away' (If that makes sense)

I've even had people moaning, if I am to play a few not so known Mid-tempo tunes at 8.00pm, which I find ridiculous - You can't go 'Bang' at 8.00pm and keep that 'high' going all-night. Even if that were possible, I wouldn't want to go to a night like that, as it has no 'structure'

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Kev

Hi Kev,

I know John pretty well and one thing I love about him is his dry sense of humour, which takes a while to catch because it’s so blo*dy dry! :yes:

What I'm saying is, I don’t for one minute think John would say such a thing and mean it, I would imagine he was being ‘Ironicle’.

I have to say I wasn’t there, but just wanted to put that point across because I bought his name into the discussion.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!