Walter And The Admirations

Guest CARL D

Hi there, wasnt't keen on 'Man oh Man' at first,but it's grown on me recently. Am i right in saying Butch discovered it? Presume it's dog-rare? Just wondered the story behind the 45. Cheers, Carl.

Social source share

Both sides blinding NS in my top 5 ever, Man Oh Man was covered up by Butch..... G Davis & R Tyler ???...memories not what it was.......the intro on MOM is one of the most memorable ever & at its height when the Butchmeister span this it was a clarion call to the dance floor.....totally monstrous NS anthen, rammed dance floors to bustin every where....BRILLIANT !!!

Im not joking when I say MOM chokes me right up, as well as being an epic piece of stormin soulful dance, it conjures up happy memories of a time on the scene for me which was also my personal best....one day I will own this record...might be a lottery win, remortgage or just good luck, but it will be mine one day...

Best Russ

I'm with you on this one Russ. The intro is awesome. A simple cord structure but just a perfect set up for a stellar track.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Did Ady sell it? What's its value these days?

I remember being at Ady's house around 20 years ago and him playing it to me, he asked my oppinion on whether or not he should sell it for £1200 to some guy in Scotland (i think we all know who that is). Blinding 45! Still sounds as good today as the first time i heard it!

Social source share

Adey Pearce finally found out what Man o man was when he bought Life of tears from John Powney(Adey collected Chicago) and bought it for that side filpped it over and the rest is history, theres more to the story but just in case i tell it slightly incorrect i wont say any more

There's a few that I know who knew what it was long before it was uncovered.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Both sides blinding NS in my top 5 ever, Man Oh Man was covered up by Butch..... G Davis & R Tyler ???...memories not what it was.......the intro on MOM is one of the most memorable ever & at its height when the Butchmeister span this it was a clarion call to the dance floor.....totally monstrous NS anthen, rammed dance floors to bustin every where....BRILLIANT !!!

Im not joking when I say MOM chokes me right up, as well as being an epic piece of stormin soulful dance, it conjures up happy memories of a time on the scene for me which was also my personal best....one day I will own this record...might be a lottery win, remortgage or just good luck, but it will be mine one day...

Best Russ

I agree, but it's one of those records that you had to be there, on the dance floor, when it was played/big, to really appreciate it fully!

Social source share

check this out!

Yes ... truly authentic northern soul in the original 45 - everything you could ask for in quality, rarity etc. - a product of the time and the place for sure - and that video is just truly awesome - you know just looking at those guys - enough said!!!

In my book - authenticity is the key to all we do in life - and this is just it!

Cheers

Richard

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Someone in the UK really should bring them over. Hearing them perform is a truly life-altering experience if you love soul music. While I know that they had only two "hits" on the northern soul scene, every single thing they have done the two times we've had them at our Dig Deeper night has been absolutely astounding. "Just an ugly rumor", "Happy", "I can't believe", "(Lord) Send me somebody", "We must make things right"...on and on. Utter magic. Their take on "At last", which never came out, was particularly moving at our last show.

Plus they are all great guys, and loads of fun to be with - the two weekends we've gotten to spend with them were nonstop hilarious.

- honky

PS - Major thanks to boba for putting us in contact. For those who didn't pick up on it, the video above of them in a radio station was on boba's show.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Plus they are all great guys, and loads of fun to be with - the two weekends we've gotten to spend with them were nonstop hilarious.

yeah, they are fun to hang out with. when we were at a bar in new york some big dude kept trying to start a fight with us, he kept saying "I RUN BROOKLYN!" and we were just like "okay...".

Social source share

• 5 months later...

john powney the north east guru,has found some amazing tunes,in his time ,brilliant knowledge and taste in all things soulfull, and give me m,o,m on that ritz dancefloor just one more time col

Edited by colsoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Fair comment Phil, but the one Tefteller sold on ebay a couple of years back went for thereabouts.

No it didn't mate it went for 3k. I know because I bought it. Still thought it was bloody cheap at that. Brownie got a fortune for his copy.

Hope you are well Tony.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

From my sketchy memory two copies were pulled out of Ian Levine's collection when it was being sold off, late 70's or turn of the decade?   so it was Ian who had it first in the UK, although I've never heard him claim to have played either side in a club.  Ian had asked ???, oh darn can't bring the name to mind, to sell them off and think they were put in a caravan or cottage in Wales. Think it was Keb that was going through them, and Big Tim & Butch were there to help/buy stuff, and that's how the first copies got out.

Somebody with a better memory than mine should fill in the blanks. Did Butch keep one, and sell or trade Pat for the other, guess that's how it went?

please fill in the gaps

Social source share

From my sketchy memory two copies were pulled out of Ian Levine's collection when it was being sold off, late 70's or turn of the decade?   so it was Ian who had it first in the UK, although I've never heard him claim to have played either side in a club.  Ian had asked ???, oh darn can't bring the name to mind, to sell them off and think they were put in a caravan or cottage in Wales. Think it was Keb that was going through them, and Big Tim & Butch were there to help/buy stuff, and that's how the first copies got out.

Somebody with a better memory than mine should fill in the blanks. Did Butch keep one, and sell or trade Pat for the other, guess that's how it went?

please fill in the gaps

Ian said that he found this and the release on Peaches in 1976, he played them to little or no reaction, and later sold both to Pat. Keb to my knowledge never had MOM.

Social source share

Ian said that he found this and the release on Peaches in 1976, he played them to little or no reaction, and later sold both to Pat. Keb to my knowledge never had MOM.

sorry if I made this as clear as mud Tony & co, I wasn't saying Keb had found them, or that he'd ever owned them, I was saying that Keb was going through Ian's collection with a view to helping (Bernie Golding ?possibly?) get it all sold off (by this point the collection had been gone through for traditional Northern by quite a few, think Tim told me that this was the second time he'd gone through it, the first time with JM, so we're talking about the remnants, although the number of records was still very significant, five figures (10,000+) maybe? - off on a tangent wasn't there some tale about these remnants ending up in a shop in London about 10-15 years back, in black bins bags??) - sorry back to the tale - and one sunday afternoon, presumably invited by Keb, Butch & Tim went down to look at the records.  Unless I'm getting mixed up with some other monster rarity ( which is of course entirely possible) or I'm getting mixed up with a story Pat told me about getting both copies off Ian (not sure if this was direct from Ian or from Butch who'd pulled them out of Ian's collection)

I'm beginning to think that perhaps with my memory as shakey as it is, that I'll refrain from commenting on any further threads. Maybe it's Alzheimers, I sat the other day thinking for half an hour solid and I couldn't bring to mind the name Martha Starr, no matter how hard I tried. If you can't remember the names on your top ten lifetime wants then I think it's time to give up :(

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

MOM was for me one of the main reasons to travel up to The 100 Club and desperately hope that Butch would play it. I've got tapes of those nights there with him calling the track Cynthia Davis "What Shall I Do" - and the opening few seconds were like an andrenaline rush to get on the dance floor, "baa ba ba ba, ba ba ba, ba....."

I think it was at Prestatyn where I was going through some reissues and found the Soul City 45 and couldn't quite believe it had been put out on 45.

Epic 45 that holds so many memories, Butch used to play George Pep after MOM too which I also love.

Social source share

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 13/12/2012 at 23:41, Premium Stuff said:

Yes ... truly authentic northern soul in the original 45 - everything you could ask for in quality, rarity etc. - a product of the time and the place for sure - and that video is just truly awesome - you know just looking at those guys - enough said!!!

In my book - authenticity is the key to all we do in life - and this is just it!

Cheers

Richard

Thats very special. Just made my day man oh man !

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!