Shrine Records Collection

snooky

Guest Soulfood33

Don't know why he says that, apart from being written by Eddie Singleton and 'produced' by Ray(noma?), it sounds like a New York production, nothing like a Shrine record.

I just don't know who to believe now - Andy Rix, Steve Foran and John Manship say "La Rue" is a Shrine recording, Pete Smith and Chalky say it's not? very confusing.

Social source share

I just don't know who to believe now - Andy Rix, Steve Foran and John Manship say "La Rue" is a Shrine recording, Pete Smith and Chalky say it's not? very confusing.

I'm not saying it is or isn't. I would never class it as a Shrine record, sounds nothing like one. I know ES, Ramitary etc was involved and would have simply thought as an artist he is getting his work out where ever he can. Plenty of Jobette recordings out there but it doesn't mean they are Motown records.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

not staged jim.. john manship posted it on youtube a couple of days ago and hardly any veiws......he has a full set all to be auctioned i guess

Any idea when the video was made? Where? Looks incredible if just found like that, a crate diggers wet dream.

Come on JM, give us the lowdown!

Social source share

I think the Epsilons is clearly the best record on the label. That's why it was a regional hit making it more common (albeit beat up) -- it's a great record.

Looks like "you got your mind in a bind" Bob :)

My 2cents worth is The Cairos "don't fight it".... :thumbup:

Social source share

but half of em aint in sleeves.

Oftentimes half of mine aren't either. :ohmy:

I'm terrible for playing records at home and then just putting 'em down and then putting another on top and so on.

Most folks who come round my house listening to tunes absolutely despair :)

Edited by phild
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Wasn't Gene Chandler "I Hate To Be The One To Say" on Constellation a Ramitary pub, written by Keni Lewis or are we just quoting Eddies songs?

Kenny Lewis & Maxx Kidd did write this along with 'Mr Big Shot' whilst Shrine was still operating .. I guess they were just looking to earn some extra cash as independent songwriters given that Shrine wasn't doing too well

Andy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

For me including the unissued beasts its ;

The Prophets - One Gold Piece

Ray Pollard - This Time

Little Bobby Parker - I won't believe it till I see it

Les Chansonettes - Don't let him hurt you

Cairos - Stop overlooking me

That's my top 5 although loads of others are not far behind

Social source share

I'm terrible for playing records at home and then just putting 'em down and then putting another on top and so on.

LOL, not me. Records are meant to be played, not displayed. I'm pretty good at putting 'em back in the sleeves at least......

Ian D :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

thanks for the total,

but i think someone who had a few bob would pay a lot more than that to get the lot all in one go rather than spend years trying to find them all,

joe.

Pretty sure they would pay more than that in one go, rather than piecemeal.

But some are really not worth getting, in my opinion.

A Robb says, Prophets, Ray Pollard, Shirley Edwards are the real deal.

Social source share

the moments on hog springs to mind.................. the thought of it laying on the floor no sleeve you needed fcuking lol

Social source share

the moments on hog springs to mind.................. the thought of it laying on the floor no sleeve you needed fcuking lol

I get carried away when I'm playing records.

It's a case of "you've got to hear this one ..." Etc and they just pile up :)

Particularly when I'm having a beer or two

• Helpful 1
Social source share

John Manship has noted on his auction of the Prophets - If I Had (one gold piece) - that there are only 3 known copies. Is that right ?

I thought there were more unless the one he has has been doing the rounds .. Jim Edleston to Steve Chadwick to Lew Stanley then ??

Mine has seen better days but not as bad as The Counts !!

Andy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I never liked the shirley edwards. It's not bad, just sort of mediocre to me.

Funny (but yet not surprising) how tastes differ. Shirley Edwards is among my Shrine favourites together with Epsilons (both sides), JD Bryant - I won't be coming back and Ray Pollard - No more like me (other side is shite IMO)

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

quote name='Jaco' timestamp='1355574539' post='1874323'

You knew somebody would do it didn't you?

£36,700 according the 5th edition

Edited by turntableterra
Social source share

Andy says LaRue is a Ramitary song from the same time as Shrine was in operation. It is highly likely to have been an independent production job for Decca who cut it in NYC.

Social source share

I'd have been well happy with that Dave! :thumbsup:

How long ago was that then?

probably about 1996...they came off andy lees ..a great bloke who was killed in a motorcycle accident not long after....also bought a mint charades demo (KTMH) about the same time for £30.. got loads of great tunes from him at great prices and a terrible day when he passed as a nicer bloke you`d be pushed to meet (R.I.P) Brother

Social source share

I know everyone is fed up of the how cheap things were posts but can't resist. I got Ray Pollard of Jim Wensoria for £30 when he sold up. It had a fag burn at start and had a very slight hiss so I offered him £20, his look and Colin Laws kick under the table told me to get my cash out fast and pay asking price. The best set it bargains I got and they were in Mansfield not USA SWONS!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

And I bet you've never stop thinking about that tenner have you Jock.. :lol:

I woke up sweating and thinking about it every night till I sold it for a 2800% profit, And just to think I would probably have shared some of my profit with Jim if he hadn't been so tight.......**

**If you are out there reading this Jim, don't set the bulldog on me, just joking, honest!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I know everyone is fed up of the how cheap things were posts but can't resist. I got Ray Pollard of Jim Wensoria for £30 when he sold up. It had a fag burn at start and had a very slight hiss so I offered him £20, his look and Colin Laws kick under the table told me to get my cash out fast and pay asking price. The best set it bargains I got and they were in Mansfield not USA SWONS!

hi jock, about 2 years before jim sold his collection ian clark had multiple copies of ray pollard, he was knocking them out at 12 quid,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

hi jock, about 2 years before jim sold his collection ian clark had multiple copies of ray pollard, he was knocking them out at 12 quid,

TRUE! I remember it on his lists...I recall that I wasn't impressed when I heard it...I mean, it's not exactly 'the drifter' is it!?

:facepalm:

Social source share

TRUE! I remember it on his lists...I recall that I wasn't impressed when I heard it...I mean, it's not exactly 'the drifter' is it!?

:facepalm:

it was 1984. i was living in southampton at the time, so i was at every 100 club back then, always made a beeline to clarkys box, for about 6 / 7 months i said to myself that i would get one off him , but always found something i wanted more in his box, when i eventualy bought one off him it was the last copy he had, he let me have it for 6 quid, but alas it had no labels on it

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Just read this thread all the way thro' [ yes, weeks off the pace I know, it's been snowing heavily here in ' sunny ' somereset all day, and its all going to get a bit like ' the shining ' here soon ]

Anyway, fascinating , love it !

I had 2 questions.

I've only got or had a very small number of these 7's , but have only seem the one demo [ sro 101 - leroy taylor ] . Were there demos on all the others, or any of them ?

What was the story on the misspress. Have the facts ever come out? Even better the myths ! [ all supposedly scrapped / 1000's thrown in a skip / disgruntled employee ?? ] Anyone know ?

Sorry if this has been done to death before - give me a reference and I'll look it up - I ain't going anywhere for some considerable time.

cheers

pete

Edited by ricticman
Social source share

Andy Rix is your man Pete, he did the sleeve notes to Kent's CDs as I recall, and pretty informative they were too - fire in warehouse during riots etc...stock destroyed etc. Steve

Thanks again Steve, and to Soulwolf for the reference to the sleeve notes. Massive respect to Andy Rix, what a piece to have written that will be an enduring record of what happened.

Anyone got the information on issues v demos ? And what happened re the misspress ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!