The Players - Get Right

Patto

Hi Guys

Back in the late 80s i first heard THE PLAYERS--GET RIGHT--MINIT,i think at Notts Palais but cant remember who by.Loved the record from the first time i heard it,great tempo ,great group harmonies,and at the time i remember it got a good dancefloor reaction.Never heard it spun out since and i had forgotten all about it.Then while surfing through you tube i dropped on the record and was again smitten by it.Nice to find it was a reletively easy to find and not too expensive record so i bought myself a copy. What i would like to know is how much action did this have at any time and has it been reactivated by anyone of late.I for one would love to dance to it out again.Any Info People ?

Patto

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI PATTO

This great track that you speak about is like music to my ears, as it was the initial discovery of records like this in 67/68 that started the RARE SOUL SCENE & when the LONDON clubs went FUNKY late 69 the NORTH stayed with the popular sound of 66/7 for real soul power, it always amuses me, when people state that LONDON move with the times, as from 68 to 72, the reissue TAMLA MOTOWN that charted makes no sense of the dia mess the UK RECORD BUISNES was in (OK I will admit i did by quite a bit of pop especially the white blues groups) but for those who had records like "get right" the PLAYERS were a part of the Twisted Wheel In Crowd. or equivalent clubs,

It is well known that I was into the new REGGAE scene, but like a few people in LONDON & THE HOME COUNTIES, WE STILL LISTENED TO SOUL,

I used to try and buy the various artist LP's and your sound was on one of the best 33minutes of BLUES & SOUL MLS4002, 4001 WAS THE CLASSIC BIG ONE,

I RECOMEND ALL THESE LP'S THAT WERE RELEASED IN 68/70 on EMI group of labels & president soul city and so on, as if you wonder what was the wheel really like well you record is a fine example.

QUOTE"if you are gonna start, try the beginning not the end" dk2012 :rofl: DAVE K

Social source share

Tha

:hatsoff2: HI PATTO

This great track that you speak about is like music to my ears, as it was the initial discovery of records like this in 67/68 that started the RARE SOUL SCENE & when the LONDON clubs went FUNKY late 69 the NORTH stayed with the popular sound of 66/7 for real soul power, it always amuses me, when people state that LONDON move with the times, as from 68 to 72, the reissue TAMLA MOTOWN that charted makes no sense of the dia mess the UK RECORD BUISNES was in (OK I will admit i did by quite a bit of pop especially the white blues groups) but for those who had records like "get right" the PLAYERS were a part of the Twisted Wheel In Crowd. or equivalent clubs,

It is well known that I was into the new REGGAE scene, but like a few people in LONDON & THE HOME COUNTIES, WE STILL LISTENED TO SOUL,

I used to try and buy the various artist LP's and your sound was on one of the best 33minutes of BLUES & SOUL MLS4002, 4001 WAS THE CLASSIC BIG ONE,

I RECOMEND ALL THESE LP'S THAT WERE RELEASED IN 68/70 on EMI group of labels & president soul city and so on, as if you wonder what was the wheel really like well you record is a fine example.

QUOTE"if you are gonna start, try the beginning not the end" dk2012 :rofl: DAVE K

Thanks Dave Didnt realise the Players was a popular tune on the early days of the scene,as i said i only heard it for the first time in the 80s.Maybe it got more action in other parts but i have not heard it played out since a real shame as its a Northern Soul Stormer.

Social source share

Thanks Steve i didn't get mine from you, but i did get something else from your excellent cheapies sales.Back to the Players does anyone know if it got a run of plays at any of the big venues,as D the D has already mentioned it was a Fave amoung the early Wheel crowd,Did it cross over to Wigan etc.Pretty sure it was in Nottingham when i last heard it in the late 80s,anyone else heard it out of late.

Social source share

Hi Patto

Great track which i think you may have bought from my 'cheap as chips' page recently?

Tis a great track and one i originally got from a Soul Bowl soul pack in the 70's

The Players LP on Minit is also worth getting as it's full of 60's Soul quality

Cheers

Steve

You don't have a Players LP spare do you Steven.......

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks Steve i didn't get mine from you, but i did get something else from your excellent cheapies sales.Back to the Players does anyone know if it got a run of plays at any of the big venues,as D the D has already mentioned it was a Fave amoung the early Wheel crowd,Did it cross over to Wigan etc.Pretty sure it was in Nottingham when i last heard it in the late 80s,anyone else heard it out of late.

I remember it being a popular tape swappers tune in the mid to late 80's, that's when I picked it up along with the other Players 45's, never heard it played out at a nighter though.

Social source share

Great sound from the past.First got it on a tape off a good mate in the 70`s along with Ty Karim/Contenders/Eddie Parker/Clarence Reid-real good northern stuff,but I have to say that I can`t remember hearing it anywhere.Would deffo get me off my arse and on the floor.

It`s now on all the underplayed nights to do list!

Social source share

Two brilliant Vietnam ballads on there Jock, "He'll be back" and "I,m glad you waited" fantastic stuff

Kev

With you on them Kev, and both came out on 45 too

flip of "I'm Glad I Waited" is the super sublime "Why Did I Lie" and flip "He'll Be Back" is the snappy dancer "I Wanna Be Free"

and talkin' bout "Get Ready", well flip that on ya got one of the most beautiful soul ballads ever for me, "I'm So Alone" a haunting fingersnappin' slice of perfection!

..and another great double sider of theirs on Minit... "That's The Way" / "There's Got To Be A Way"

are all them sides on the Lp Kev? coz if they are, then with the four 45's, must have most of the album? only three sides of 'em mention being on the "I'll Be Back" album.

steve

Players output on Minit was all top notch to these old ears :thumbsup:

steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

With you on them Kev, and both came out on 45 too

flip of "I'm Glad I Waited" is the super sublime "Why Did I Lie" and flip "He'll Be Back" is the snappy dancer "I Wanna Be Free"

and talkin' bout "Get Ready", well flip that on ya got one of the most beautiful soul ballads ever for me, "I'm So Alone" a haunting fingersnappin' slice of perfection!

..and another great double sider of theirs on Minit... "That's The Way" / "There's Got To Be A Way"

are all them sides on the Lp Kev? coz if they are, then with the four 45's, must have most of the album? only three sides of 'em mention being on the "I'll Be Back" album.

steve

Players output on Minit was all top notch to these old ears :thumbsup:

steve

Steve, not sure if it's just these two tracks or all of the Players Minit stuff but He'll Be Back/ I Wanna Be Free is actually the Dells (without Marvin Junior) backing up Players lead singer Herbert Butler. Also Dell's bass singer Chuck Barksdale did vocals on some of their stuff.

"He'll Be Back" LP tracks are ...

He'll Be Back

Peace Of Mind

When A Man Loves A Woman

Since I Don't Have You

I'm Glad I Waited

I Wanna Be Free

Sunny

There's Got To Be A Way

I Love You A Thousand Times

Why Do I Love You

Why Did I Lie

Get Hep To Love

so missing the 45 sides

That’s The Way (To Tend To Your Business)

I'm So Alone

Get Right

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Steve, not sure if it's just these two tracks or all of the Players Minit stuff but He'll Be Back/ I Wanna Be Free is actually the Dells (without Marvin Junior) backing up Players lead singer Herbert Butler. Also Dell's bass singer Chuck Barksdale did vocals on some of their stuff.

"He'll Be Back" LP tracks are ...

He'll Be Back

Peace Of Mind

When A Man Loves A Woman

Since I Don't Have You

I'm Glad I Waited

I Wanna Be Free

Sunny

There's Got To Be A Way

I Love You A Thousand Times

Why Do I Love You

Why Did I Lie

Get Hep To Love

so missing the 45 sides

That’s The Way (To Tend To Your Business)

I'm So Alone

Get Right

Cheers Dave, top info mate! didn't know the Dells connection??

Steve

Social source share

Cheers Dave, top info mate! didn't know the Dells connection??

Steve

there are a lot of different stories people tell about how it happened, but Herb Butler told me the actual story and the other members of the actual Players group are bitter about it so he didn't want to do an interview. It involved shadiness by their manager Al Smith. Herb is a super nice guy though. One of the other members of the Players later recorded as Johnny September. The Players are one of the many groups from Cabrini Green, housing projects on the north side of Chicago.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

All Good Guys but can anyone tell me owt about the single i started the thread about GET RIGHT.Seems like its yet to have its day in the sun if anyone can get the oldies guys to dance to it that is.Its certainly got the Tempo and vocals, the breaks,and its not rare.

Social source share

All Good Guys but can anyone tell me owt about the single i started the thread about GET RIGHT.Seems like its yet to have its day in the sun if anyone can get the oldies guys to dance to it that is.Its certainly got the Tempo and vocals, the breaks,and its not rare.

what else do you want to know?

Social source share

Never heard it played out regular in the 80's, tape swappers sound.

Social source share

there are a lot of different stories people tell about how it happened, but Herb Butler told me the actual story and the other members of the actual Players group are bitter about it so he didn't want to do an interview. It involved shadiness by their manager Al Smith. Herb is a super nice guy though. One of the other members of the Players later recorded as Johnny September. The Players are one of the many groups from Cabrini Green, housing projects on the north side of Chicago.

Hi Boba

Saw a fantastic documentary many years ago about Cabrini Green, two massive projects opposite each other with two different gangs, one in each project, they were interviewing the local priest and he was telling the story about the gang war shootouts in the land between the projects and the many times he has tried to come between them, resulting in the members from both gangs shooting over him and around him on many occasions, funny and very sad at the same time. Another tough housing project mentioned was Robert Taylor homes, I remember it like yesterday such was the effect it had on me

Kev

Edited by kev cane
Social source share

Hi Boba

Saw a fantastic documentary many years ago about Cabrini Green, two massive projects opposite each other with two different gangs, one in each project, they were interviewing the local priest and he was telling the story about the gang war shootouts in the land between the projects and the many times he has tried to come between them, resulting in the members from both gangs shooting over him and around him on many occasions, funny and very sad at the same time

Kev

interesting, I don't know the documentary. The two gangs might have been the Blackstone Rangers and the Cobra Stones, but I'm not sure.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

interesting, I don't know the documentary. The two gangs might have been the Blackstone Rangers and the Cobra Stones, but I'm not sure.

Hi Boba, edited my post to mention Robert Taylor homes which was also a feature of the brilliant eye opening documentary, I think it was the late 80,s Boba when it was shown, but, such was the effect I remember lots of it to this day

Kev

Social source share

The gangs had different names in the 80s (the blackstone rangers evolved into the el ruk'ns). Anyways, probably don't post anymore about this in this thread but it would be cool if you started a thread in freebasing with a link to the documentary (even just the title), I would love to find it and see it. Thanks.

Social source share

Memories, Philadelphia, 1992, Myself and my mate Gaz Simon were at John Moore's vinyl shop "The House of Harmony", those of you who know John will know he is a Vietnam veteran, a really nice guy, this day we were in going through everything,Johns friend who is also a veteran was also in, we were putting records on, I had the Players "He'll Be Back" which I knew and loved, in my hand, without thinking I put it on, silence, at that John's friend came rushing over looking quite shocked, "do you guys like this kinda stuff" he said, "like it" I replied, "Its the music from the gods" I continued, at that he grabbed my hand and shook it, turning to John he said "can you believe it, young guys from England into the soul ballads" obviously, the perception being we are all over there looking only for RARE Northern, what a great day we had after that with John and his friend fishing out and playing examples of stuff that they thought we might like, best All Dayer we've ever been to.

Kev

Edited by kev cane
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!