"simon Soussan" Update ?

Guest UPTITE U250A

On 05/01/2013 at 10:34, slimharpo said:

This thread reminded me (aka John Evans) of the time myself and Detroit Soul Legend Bob Foster, no not that one the real one from Llandudno who Ady knows well, having found Johnny Maestro in Bob's coal shed one time, jointly funded a trip to New York in Feb '72 to buy records. Sorry if this wanders off thread a little, but you might find it interesting. I 'interviewed' Bob this week over a pint, a pork pie and a roaring log fire at his favourite pub (the only way to guarantee getting him out).

I'd answered an ad in record Mirror in 1971 for a 100 record Soul pack for $9 from an address in Trenton, New Jersey. The records arrived and they were a great selection. You have to bear in mind that neither mine nor Bob's awreness of 'rarity' was particularly developed at that time. I sent for another pack which never arrived and so we decided Bob should go and track him down, as you do. I couldn't go as I was married and only had 2 weeks holiday a year then which I was expected to spend with my wife in Ibiza :g:

Bob got the plane and asked the bus driver to recommend him a hotel, the recommendation was perfect as it was very near Colony Records in N.Y. On his first visit there he bumped into Simon Soussan who was already sending out lists in the U.K. Bob remembers buying Larry Atkins- Lighten Up for 75p. Bob met S.S. again at Greenwich Oldies a few days later. They never 'teamed up' buying competition being the priority :thumbup: Bob went out to the Trenton, N.J. address and was shown a garage full of records in 50 record boxes, Okeh Demos etc. Bob filled 2 hold alls at 3 cents a record because of what the guy owed us. Bob admits to just grabbing handfuls as many titles meant little to him at the time. While he was there, 2 guys from Selecta Disc arrived and Bob thinks they probably bought the lot.

When Bob got back we put lists out and I got most all my money for the trip back, Bob took records in lieu for what was left. Bob gave me a copy of one of the lists which I will post on here sometime, some very rare stuff on it. Jimmy Ruffin on Miracle was on there for a £1 but we couldn't shift it at that price nor 75p so Bob kept it. We made most money on Mamie galore- It Aint Necessary which was huge then and Swinging Camels - Detroit Road Runners!

Bob also went to The Apollo on his own :yes: and saw Joe Simon, Betty Wright, Jimmy Briscoe etc. he also went to Earl Wright's record shop on 125th St although he is not sure if it was That Earl Wright.

Perhaps I should start a Bob Foster thread as he was a noted collector of Detroit Soul in particular and he told me the story of his copy of Lady In Red - The Magnetics which he bought in '72 and how he sold it to Martin Barnfather (Soul Sam) who I introduced him to and his second visit to The States in '76 where he met up with Martin Koppel in Detroit and his visit to Ron Motown Murphy.

By the way Ady, I have persuaded Bob to go to Prestatyn in March so hopefully we can meet up again if you have the time.

That was a great read John ,I’m sure a thread on Bob would prove really interesting.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!