"simon Soussan" Update ?

Guest UPTITE U250A

Guest UPTITE U250A

rhumour has it that was not his real name -anybody know for certain?also just heard but unconfirmed that he has passed away -anybody have an update on him recently?

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

According to Malc Burton his name was Michel Soussan

or possibly Michel summat or other

Fill yer boots ...

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

OK I understand now haha...no his real name was...?? He claimed to be french /italian etc...think he was Moroccan/Lebanese or Egyptian in reality . He appeared in Leeds in round 71 ish , think he worked in the ragtrade at the time. Was a right nuisance to be honest always trying to buy your records off you and boasting about what he had, when at the time he knew little of the all-nighter scene..learned fast though didnt he?

As I say Ian Dewhirst is your man to ask..I think this has been a thread on here before so might be worth searching back also.

Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A

Oh really? Why did you ask what his name was then clever cloggs!!??

:wicked:

Peter

I heard a rumour in passing like...so I posted the question Peter,in order to satisfy some curiosity :yes: and looks like a closed case then!! :(

is he still alive and living in LA or is he deceased ?Anyone know? :g:

Social source share

I don't know unfortunately. Details are always sketchy with guys like Michel, whoops sorry, Simon.

The guy's a human chameleon. The last I heard was that he's become an orthodox jew and has renounced his former life. But that's just hearsay thus far. I'm curious though, so if anyone knows more, then pray speak...

Ian D

Social source share

Guest Soulfood33

rhumour has it that was not his real name -anybody know for certain?also just heard but unconfirmed that he has passed away -anybody have an update on him recently?

If Simon is dead, u can bet he faked his own death..

Social source share

Hi nice brilliant usual suspect eh sir you're a genius.Regards Pretsel man.

You're on the money Simon. Ten out of ten my friend. Great film innit? :yes:

Hope you're well and enjoying a nip or two on this very, very, cold December night. My Cuban rum is bringing a touch of Caribbean sunshine to the proceedings - there is a distinct lack of a big fat Cuban cigar! :(

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

I don't know unfortunately. Details are always sketchy with guys like Michel, whoops sorry, Simon.

The guy's a human chameleon. The last I heard was that he's become an orthodox jew and has renounced his former life. But that's just hearsay thus far. I'm curious though, so if anyone knows more, then pray speak...

Ian D

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

You're on the money Simon. Ten out of ten my friend. Great film innit? :yes:

Hope you're well and enjoying a nip or two on this very, very, cold December night. My Cuban rum is bringing a touch of Caribbean sunshine to the proceedings - there is a distinct lack of a big fat Cuban cigar! :(

Peter

:thumbsup:

Hi Pete great film one of my favorites , i am having a nip tonight mate had some really bad news this morning , my daughter in law died aged 24 suspected heart attack or possibly a stroke , wrong time of year my son's devistated and my grandaughters only 7 but just seems very quiert see you soon mate regards Simon.

Social source share

Ian D

The first thing I ever heard of him was that his parents owned a fish shop in Goole.

kegsy

Social source share

Yes, Goole, that well-known suburb in Casablanca. Apparently Simon tried to introduce the concept of battered Mars bars to the good citizens of Casablanca, selling them as a UK 'regional delicacy' but for some reason it didn't wash with the locals and they got booted out and moved to France.

It's obviously a heredity thing. Have you ever been to a Morrocon bazaar? It's bloody hard work......

Ian D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes, Goole, that well-known suburb in Casablanca. Apparently Simon tried to introduce the concept of battered Mars bars to the good citizens of Casablanca, selling them as a UK 'regional delicacy' but for some reason it didn't wash with the locals and they got booted out and moved to France.

It's obviously a heredity thing. Have you ever been to a Morrocon bazaar? It's bloody hard work......

Ian D

They took off in Glasgow Ian. A not so insignificant contributor to the high levels of heart desease up there. You want curry sauce with that?

:unsure:

Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A

hey rob if you know his social security number i can find out if he's dead

Bob,if I remember rightly,he was very ill,I think with liver failure,or something similar.Someone who is on here knows but is'nt saying.Perhaps a recent decease of no more than a year or two....?

Social source share

hey rob if you know his social security number i can find out if he's dead

Would he have needed to get a US Social security number to live in USA as a resident alien, if he ran a business, rather than working for someone else? I rather think that he remained a French citizen, and has, instead, a residency card and an employer tax number for his entrepeneurship. maybe he eventually became a US citizen. But, I haven't heard of him doing anything in L.A. since the early 1980s. Of course, I was out of the loop since Airwave folded in 1984, and I started spending most of my time in Europe. I wonder if he moved back to Paris years ago?

Social source share

A true scene villain - and classic style wide boy / rip off merchant. He had access to the records, but unlike others blatantly ripped loads of people off, left money owing everywhere, stole stuff and hasn't contributed anything whatsoever to the scene since the 1970's

Every trait a good scene villain requires. :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I heard a rumour in passing like...so I posted the question Peter,in order to satisfy some curiosity :yes: and looks like a closed case then!! :( is he still alive and living in LA or is he deceased ?Anyone know? :g:

Spoke to him in 1998 when I was in LA. He had become an orthodox jew and turned his back on showbizz and nicking records.

Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A

I have a USA phone number for him from around 2000 - starts 001 310 ( does this tell you where it is in the States?)

Santa Monica....

Social source share

Thing is (luckly for us) the"scene"wouldn´t have been anything without the wide variety of"characters"that frequented it !

Say(or think)what you like throughout it´s history the northern scene has been riddled with thieves,rip off merchants and downright nasty bastards!like it or not..FACT.................is without them there would have been no scene!

!. look at the promoters-just in it for the music?keep the faith or take the money,

2 record dealers-just in it for the music?keep the faith take the money

3The drug dealers--Just in it or the money..............sure-but keep the faith anyway :D

4 The public

Just in it for the music?...................not really think about the drugs,the crack the good times the friends we made along the way,

Why pick on Soussan? he was /maybe still is one of many who saw a chance and took it -something wrong with that? and luckily for a lot of people had a fucking good ear for good sounds,that we all enjoyed

and maybe that is one thing that seperates our scene from many others and has kept it going so long.......... the intensity, not just overnight, ongoing warts and all

just get on with it....lifes too short :g:

(just a side note) when i was younger i wrote to Soussan asking him if i could be an agent/seller for him ....just in it for the music.....don´be silly! there was an opportunity to be had(so i thought) i was probably seventeen or eighteen at the time so got ignored but i think there were enough people who benefited from his knowledge that are ,if you like respected on "the scene"today...........you know who you are :yes:

accept it Soussan was a major player on an exceptional scene

Steve

yes but in his country of origin he would have had his hands cut off

kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!