• Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Andy BB

Dionne.

Dionne fans may be interested..

I noticed a big banner on the Tower of London this morning advertising a forthcoming Dionne Warwick concert at the Tower Music festival.

Social source share

"...Based on material - Dee Dee..."

With the Bacherach/David catalogue in mind surely Dionne had the cream of the material even if it was popular music?

Honestly though, I don't think you can make 'either/or' comparisons with artists who were clearly both very talented.

Edited by noss
Social source share

Dionne.

Dionne fans may be interested..

I noticed a big banner on the Tower of London this morning advertising a forthcoming Dionne Warwick concert at the Tower Music festival.

Judging by here TOTP2 performance last year, I'd avoid her live shows, her voice had completely gone.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Any thoughts?

Not even an issue. Dionne Warwick is the greatest female singer of all time - any style, any genre, any material, anywhere. I don't very often get thsi vociferous but anyone who disagrees is wrong, and that's all there is to that...

TONE :)

PS: Do actually like all varieties of Dee Dee, though - Warwick, Sharp, Wilde, Ramone, you name 'em...

Social source share

Judging by here TOTP2 performance last year, I'd avoid her live shows, her voice had completely gone.

no, don't let that you put you off, saw her last year - she started off the set a bit hoarse, but after about 15 mins of singing she was fantastic, highly recommended. they're both great so i can't vote,

cheers Sutty

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I don't understand how someone can be judged as less of a singer than another because they are 'too commercial'. That's like saying all the best records are $1k plus. Surely were not putting her down because she recorded Burt Bacharach songs either, because so did these people:

The Drifters

Chuck Jackson

Jerry Butler

Tommy Hunt

The Shirelles

Timi Yuro

Lou Johnson

Dusty Springfield

Brook Benton

Bobby Goldsboro

Isaac Hayes

Brenda and the Tabulations

The Stylistics

Ronnie Milsap

Patti Labelle

Roberta Flack

I think we should call him Mr Soul... :)

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Dee Dee for me, although her material is less consistent, who could compete with Bacharach/David, she definately has a more soulful vocal. Top tracks:

We're Doing Fine

Alfie (best version - actually recorded in the UK)

Don't Give Up On Us

Worth Every Tear I Cry

Do It With All My Heart

Quality!!

Social source share

Overall Dee Dee wins!!! Nine times out of ten I'm gonna listen to Dee Dee. Dionee was more pop but she's got a few killers ( 5 or 6) in her repitore that are as good if not better than anything in Dee Dee's. It's hard to beat the Bacharach/David team for sheer songwriting and production excellence!

Social source share

Overall Dee Dee wins!!! Nine times out of ten I'm gonna listen to Dee Dee. Dionee was more pop but she's got a few killers ( 5 or 6) in her repitore that are as good if not better than anything in Dee Dee's. It's hard to beat the Bacharach/David team for sheer songwriting and production excellence!

Totally agree. Can't imagine Dionne doing anything as raunchy as Dee Dee on You're No Good, but for my money Bacharach and David were the greatest songwriters of the last century.

Dee Dee shades it for soulful appeal - IMHO.

Colin

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Dee Dee for me too, sorry Tony. Her voice has a lovely crack in it at times (no jokes please) & it reminds me of Gloria Lynne whose voice I also love.

Social source share

Any thoughts?

In the Early days when I was young "Walk On By" & "Reach Out For Me" etc caught my attention

and I thank Dionne ( & Baccarach/David) for that, however ..........

I have to say that Dee Dee definately has the edge if I had to choose.

I have, in recent years bought quite a few of Dee Dee Warwicks records.

Every one superb.

Social source share

In the Early days when I was young "Walk On By" & "Reach Out For Me" etc caught my attention

and I thank Dionne ( & Baccarach/David) for that, however ..........

I have to say that Dee Dee definately has the edge if I had to choose.

I have, in recent years bought quite a few of Dee Dee Warwicks records.

Every one superb.

Dee Dee Warwick - Awsome

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

"...Based on material - Dee Dee..."

With the Bacherach/David catalogue in mind surely Dionne had the cream of the material even if it was popular music?

Honestly though, I don't think you can make 'either/or' comparisons with artists who were clearly both very talented.

Dee Dee, and heres why;

Worth Every Tear I Cry

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Dee_Dee_War...r_I_Cry.ram

We're Doing Fine

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Dee_Dee_War...ng_Fine.ram

and two for the price of one on 45, my most recent purchase ...

Don't You Ever Give Up On Me

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Dee_Dee_War...ve_Up_On_Me.ram

We've Got Everything Going For Us

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Dee_Dee_War...thing_Going.ram

and there's more ................ BRILLIANT

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Interesting debate going lads thought I'd share a little story that was related to me by the Soul Guru Dave Godin who when meeting Ms Dionne Warwick would as usual not be backward at coming forward with his opinion. He asked her quite matter of factly who she herself thought was the better singer he said Dee Dee was a far better singer than she was and that he far preferred her voice to that of hers, she thought for a minute and replied - I've got to agree with you Dave Dee Dee is a better singer than me. Bout says it all for me if the woman herself thought her sister was a better singer than she was.

best FRASER

Edited by fdsoul6345789
Social source share

Up until recently I would have said Dee Dee, but now I would say Dionne due to the recent purchase of her Holland Dozier Holland written and produced album on Warners "Just being myself" from 1973 which has the fantastic title track plus "I think you need love" on it, plus "Come back" as covered by the Jones Girls on Music Merchant. If you have never heard the album just buy it - fantastic.

Also what about her "Track of the cat" era inc "Move me no mountain"

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!