Just Arrived In The Post (Or Just Bought)

Jim G

These have arrived at Swift Towers over the last couple of weeks :thumbup:

MADELINE BELL - PICTURE ME GONE - PHILLIPS W/D

BOBBY HEBB - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, - PHILLIPS W/D

GERALD SIMS - YOU'LL NEVER BE SORRY - WARNER BROS. W/D

DON HIGH - ALMOST - COLUMBIA W/D

SIDNEY JOE QUALLS - WHERE THE LILLIES GROW - DAKAR W/D

TATA VEGA - I NEED YOU NOW - TAMLA W/D

TECHNICS - CAUSE I REALLY LOVE YOU - CHEX

and these due to land at anytime

LITTLE MILTON - JUST ONE STEP - GLADES W/D

O'JAYS - TO PROVE I LOVE YOU - TSOP W/D

VIBRATIONS - KEEP ON KEEPING ON - OKEH W/D

SCOTTY WILLIAMS - THE SAME OLD WAY - JUBILEE W/D

Bit of a mish mash of styles there :lol:

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

Thought you were gonna say fish and gravy had landed on the door mat! :wicked:

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

These have arrived at Swift Towers over the last couple of weeks :thumbup:

MADELINE BELL - PICTURE ME GONE - PHILLIPS W/D

BOBBY HEBB - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, - PHILLIPS W/D

GERALD SIMS - YOU'LL NEVER BE SORRY - WARNER BROS. W/D

DON HIGH - ALMOST - COLUMBIA W/D

SIDNEY JOE QUALLS - WHERE THE LILLIES GROW - DAKAR W/D

TATA VEGA - I NEED YOU NOW - TAMLA W/D

TECHNICS - CAUSE I REALLY LOVE YOU - CHEX

and these due to land at anytime

LITTLE MILTON - JUST ONE STEP - GLADES W/D

O'JAYS - TO PROVE I LOVE YOU - TSOP W/D

VIBRATIONS - KEEP ON KEEPING ON - OKEH W/D

SCOTTY WILLIAMS - THE SAME OLD WAY - JUBILEE W/D

Bit of a mish mash of styles there :lol:

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

LOVE that S.J.Q 45.. A real 'go to' artist for me. Great choices and styles Swifty. That's what it's all about!

Rich

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

following on from my burst of motown w/demos, picked up a minty contours - just a little - gordy £10.00 bargain me thinks?

also these couple

belairs - I got the feeling - palmer issue

lou Courtney - you can give your love to me - verve demo

got a couple of smash issues waiting at the post office for pickup....smash by label and not the other smash...lol

happy hunting

russ

Social source share

Just a few toooooooooooooooooooooooooons picked up today crate 'diggin'

The African Echoes -Big Time - Phil L.A.of Soul

Earl Gaines- Good Good Lovin-De Luxe Y/D

Soul Toranodoes- Go For Yourself - Burt

The Corvairs ft Little Joe Williams-It's Aw'rite - Twin

Clea Bradford - My Loves A Monster/Summertime - Cadet

Herbie Thompson - Let Your Love (grow stronger)/ Jungle Time -mislabeled flip side - Big Hit

Joey Pastrana - My Victrola -Cotique, Promo

Edited by Kev John
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Some "newies" through the post box door in the last week or so. :)

Oliver Cheatham - Don't Pop The Question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIRn26y6ouc

Cookin' On 3 Burners - This Girl 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdhU5Dv0pcI

Also had a very nice, high quality carver done locally today by my mate who's been running a great service here in Copenhagen. He recently updated to a very pro Scully lathe from the 60's that does amazing work! Very pleased to have finally got a disc made with him after waiting for the setup and testing of the new lathe.

Link here:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kommunal-Dubplate-Service/203395953029294

Social source share

These couple of tunes on their way :D

Versatile Gents - You've Blown My Mind (Linco)

https://youtu.be/0JMl_yu-8F8

Andre Williams - You've Got It And I Want It 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJSc1kyJ4sA

what a great intro to Andre Williams 45 ..... Edited by andybellwood
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

This won't make any sense to most of you why I'm going on about this, it's not soul, it could have passed off as a Northern dancer at one point, it was just something I needed to get...review below

Blimey this one's taken me a long, long time to find.  Not that I've been actively searching, but the couple of copies that turned up on ebay over the years, I was trounced in my bids and I watched the last copy go for £100+.  Anyway I came across it by chance at the weekend so here it is, at last.  Oscar is Oscar Beuselnick, (better known as Paul Nicholas) and he had three interesting singles on Reaction (one written by David Bowie).  This one begins with a fuzz guitar riff which then gives way to an absolutely thunderous stomping rhythm, and a throwaway song about a discotheque where people can dance all night...it's fantastic to dance to and I'll never know why the Northern scene didn't pick up on this when it was going through it's 'pop' phase.  Great stuff.  The self-penned B side Waking Up is also nice in a Mike Flowers Pops (remember them?) type way.  Groovy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=227Lp0t6i7k

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Oh and this one:

So just a few words about the record; a typical UK Northern dancer with a brass fanfare intro, pummelling drumbeat and an excellent vocal, though I often think the singer might have actually been a Scouser, they way he pronounces the word 'bird' as 'baird'.  This track was also released on a French EP and the band appear to have been quite popular on the continent.  The record has been known and sought after for many a year - I think this is maybe my sixth copy so it must have sold a few over here, probably after plays on pirate radio.  A minor classic.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Oh and this one:

So just a few words about the record; a typical UK Northern dancer with a brass fanfare intro, pummelling drumbeat and an excellent vocal, though I often think the singer might have actually been a Scouser, they way he pronounces the word 'bird' as 'baird'.  This track was also released on a French EP and the band appear to have been quite popular on the continent.  The record has been known and sought after for many a year - I think this is maybe my sixth copy so it must have sold a few over here, probably after plays on pirate radio.  A minor classic.

Got one of these a few months back took a while to find it,got a john drevars as well from the same source, 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Another British one, this was discovered by Paul Malone in the late 80's, I bought it off him and then it became known, always promised myself another one if I saw one, but never did until yesterday, if you don't like UK 'soul' then you probably won't like this but it's a big almost Righteous Brothers tupe beat ballad, a great ender, and the singer is the guy who was part of the duo Frankie & Johnny.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Another British one, this was discovered by Paul Malone in the late 80's, I bought it off him and then it became known, always promised myself another one if I saw one, but never did until yesterday, if you don't like UK 'soul' then you probably won't like this but it's a big almost Righteous Brothers tupe beat ballad, a great ender, and the singer is the guy who was part of the duo Frankie & Johnny.

love that sounds very pj probyish .

Social source share

Pete

If you like this I suppose you'll have come across Oliver Norman-Drowning In My Own Despair Polydor,also came out on US Decca?Real name Norman Oliver,have you info about that please?

Cheers

Martyn

PS Sorry if this isn't the thread to be asking this?

Social source share

Pete

If you like this I suppose you'll have come across Oliver Norman-Drowning In My Own Despair Polydor,also came out on US Decca?Real name Norman Oliver,have you info about that please?

Cheers

Martyn

PS Sorry if this isn't the thread to be asking this?

Yeah I used to have that one mate but again, it's one I've not seen since I sold my original collection back in 1993 - great track, very unusual type of sound for that particular producer (Shel Talmy) I'm afraid I know nothing about the artist though (I may have done, but it's all been forgotten)

Social source share

Yeah I used to have that one mate but again, it's one I've not seen since I sold my original collection back in 1993 - great track, very unusual type of sound for that particular producer (Shel Talmy) I'm afraid I know nothing about the artist though (I may have done, but it's all been forgotten)

Pete

All I know is that he's English.B sides not bad either,has a real catchy chorus............"Your Love Counts"

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Pete

All I know is that he's English.B sides not bad either,has a real catchy chorus............"Your Love Counts"

Cheers

Martyn

I'm not convinced he is - the recording definitely is, but I think he could be an American recording in the UK like Sonny Childe, Kenny Roberts, Jimmy Helms etc.  Also think it might be an alias.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

post-16265-0-77865900-1383238029_thumb.jpost-16265-0-92205700-1383238055_thumb.jpost-16265-0-13517500-1383238080_thumb.jpost-16265-0-43073500-1383238115_thumb.j

Had several recently but these few were close enough at hand to quickly photo.  The New Breed 45 always appears to have the little ink stamp on the label.  I have another copy and that's the same.  It is a garage/blue eyed thing that I've seen on a compilation somewhere.

Social source share

One of my best buys on ebay  if not the best. Came upon the track through Ady's " Ever Felt An Idiot " thread where he recommends it. I was also watching a copy of her One More Chance 45 from the same seller which went for £95.00 ( 53 bids ). Maybe that track edges this but not sure.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380754745217?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

post-19579-0-65654700-1383498990.png

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

Cheap and cheerful ones just recieved.
PJ Proby - Nicky Hoeky UK Liberty £1.99
Little Richard - Poor dog - Orig US Okeh - £3.76
P.P. Arnold double pack including 'Everything......' £10

Temprees - At last - US 'We Produce' Demo - £6
E Rodney Jones - R&B time - US 'Tuff' - £9.40.

Edited by Northern Soul UK
Social source share

This won't make any sense to most of you why I'm going on about this, it's not soul, it could have passed off as a Northern dancer at one point, it was just something I needed to get...review below

Blimey this one's taken me a long, long time to find.  Not that I've been actively searching, but the couple of copies that turned up on ebay over the years, I was trounced in my bids and I watched the last copy go for £100+.  Anyway I came across it by chance at the weekend so here it is, at last.  Oscar is Oscar Beuselnick, (better known as Paul Nicholas) and he had three interesting singles on Reaction (one written by David Bowie).  This one begins with a fuzz guitar riff which then gives way to an absolutely thunderous stomping rhythm, and a throwaway song about a discotheque where people can dance all night...it's fantastic to dance to and I'll never know why the Northern scene didn't pick up on this when it was going through it's 'pop' phase.  Great stuff.  The self-penned B side Waking Up is also nice in a Mike Flowers Pops (remember them?) type way.  Groovy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=227Lp0t6i7k

I like that. There is a Who connection somewhere, I remember something in the back of mind about Nicholas' father being a friend of Townsend or something like that. 

Talking of Townsend, picked up a UK Columbia 45 from the charity shop the other day by the Barron Knights 'Lazy Fat People / In The Night' 1967. Forget the A side, the B side is a nice Mod workout which is also something to do with Townsend. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I like that. There is a Who connection somewhere, I remember something in the back of mind about Nicholas' father being a friend of Townsend or something like that. 

Talking of Townsend, picked up a UK Columbia 45 from the charity shop the other day by the Barron Knights 'Lazy Fat People / In The Night' 1967. Forget the A side, the B side is a nice Mod workout which is also something to do with Townsend. 

Yeah Townsend co wrote one of the guys other 45's, Join My Gang.

Social source share

attachicon.gifla rays.JPGattachicon.gifmadeline bell.JPGattachicon.gifnew breed.JPGattachicon.gif9th street exit.JPG

Had several recently but these few were close enough at hand to quickly photo.  The New Breed 45 always appears to have the little ink stamp on the label.  I have another copy and that's the same.  It is a garage/blue eyed thing that I've seen on a compilation somewhere.

Is the Madeline Bell the first Issue before Phillips? 

Swifty  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!