Queens Hall Bradford

Ste S

Guest Nick Harrison

See, i told you raves shut it down!

LOL

:lol:Think we both know the truth !! :lol:

Queens Hall closed for a short period and Adrian and Crofty opened downstairs as the "Big Easy". Did not the University or Bradford Polytechnic have some say so in this !! The students use to rent out this venue.

Why did it close in 1991 when Mr May had it in full flow !!

Social source share

Queens Hall closed for a short period and Adrian and Crofty opened downstairs as the "Big Easy". Did not the University or Bradford Polytechnic have some say so in this !! The students use to rent out this venue.

It was owned by University of Bradford Students Union.

They got a lot of pressure to close the niters all the way through, but the £500 room hire every two weeks was just too much of a plus for them

Social source share

No the tax man impounded all known footage ! :ohmy:

:lol:

Funnily enough the tax man had footage of the queues outside Queen hall when they interviewed me after i sent back a blank tax return :)

The tax office (Wardley House), being directly opposite the Queens hall at the time :ohmy:

Social source share

post-27238-0-49595300-1358184770_thumb.j

Ah Steve,

the turn before the incline of Wind Hill or drive through the lights past Rose or (the Sutty and Sweep Museum !!)

Childhood memories of another passion during the early seventies @ Len's yard and Stock Car racers 172 Derek Holmes and later 188 Colin Stansfield.

But hey ho !!

Nick.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Barry seems to get allll the recognition for downstairs....I think you'll find Dave James (Hawkins) was the instigator of the downstairs room, i know this, as i'm his brother and i remember him kicking it off, with Barry. Iya Thanyou.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Barry seems to get allll the recognition for downstairs....I think you'll find Dave James (Hawkins) was the instigator of the downstairs room, i know this, as i'm his brother and i remember him kicking it off, with Barry. Iya Thanyou.

Those who were there know that Dave & Barry came as a package, dastardly duo, double trouble, hinge & bracket :lol: . I guess Dave doesn't get mentioned as much due to him not being on this site, but just because he's out of sight, people don't, and won't forget his massive contribution to downstairs. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Not sure which brother you are, as I know there's a whole football team of you, but if you're Jeff, Paul or Barry :wave: Long time no see, hope you're well, and I loved it when you guys ran the Winsford Modern Room, and if you're neither J,P or B well hello anyway :wave:

Social source share

Of course. It must have cost them a fortune in new bulbs over the pool table :D

Met some really good lads from Nottingham, they used to pile back to ours after it had finished. I used to see them down at Renaissance at Mansfield, too. I'm sure I've bored you with all this before :D

Derby crowd i assume...amazing how many didnt make the musical transition though Jamie...! to vocal house/garage....

Social source share

Derby crowd i assume...amazing how many didnt make the musical transition though Jamie...! to vocal house/garage....

Be interested to know who the Derby crowd were at Renaissance as I'm sure I'll know them,, regular at Mansfield with a big mob of Notts, Derby and Manchester :) although we mostly stuck with house, avoided progressive and got stuck into Detroit techno :)

Social source share

Hi Stuart,

very little has been mentioned or documented of the modern room from 1987 to 1989, when Crofty rotated Sam and Arthur during those fortnightly all nighters. Of which you Hull boys and girls, (yourself, Jacko, Podge, Riggy, Alison, Vanessa and Louise Mullins etc ) Bradford played a huge influence within our love of rarer modern soul music and many others also.

Not forgetting inbetween Bradford 87/89 period - was the world famous Canal Tavern, the modern room all nighter at the Carleton Morecambe, Rock City nighters, Parkers and towards the end of the Queens Hall era, was the introduction of the Southport Weekender.

A very musically rich period indeed.

Hope your keeping well mate !!

Kind regards,

Nick. :D

I used to travel to Bradfordfrom Norwich alot , and later i used to travel up with Chris Huggins (Gt Yarmouth ) who put in spots in the modern room.

I remember the sprung dance floor in the main room upstairs . Met some great people there .

Didn't Nigel Parker have the Neurons "all of my life " ?

cheers Frank Norwich Back street soul club

Edited by Bossfourpart1
Social source share

I'm pretty sure they were from Nottingham.. though it is over 20 years ago.

Positive that the guy who used to drive up to Bradford was called Nick. He'll have been early 20's (I was 18 in '92) and drove either a Mark III or IV Cortina estate. It something daft like bright green or orange and was in amazing condition.

I used to take a few car-fulls from Leeds down to Mansfield and meet them all at Renaissance. Cracking set of lads/lasses & used to have a great laugh back at ours.

Shame I never kept in touch.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

I used to travel to Bradfordfrom Norwich alot , and later i used to travel up with Chris Huggins (Gt Yarmouth ) who put in spots in the modern room.

I remember the sprung dance floor in the main room upstairs . Met some great people there .

Didn't Gary Spencer have the Neurons "all of my life " ?

Hi Frank,

remember attending a few mid week do's at Carrow Road during the summer, travelled from Yorkshire ! Sure that was under the Back Street banner. A few from Cambridge - St Noets nights attended. Steve Hobbs, Max Rees, Steve Jackson ?

:)

Social source share

Didn't Gary Spencer have the Neurons "all of my life " ?

good bloke Chris Huggins, had some very sought after records as I recall. Did me a couple of blinding tapes. Is he on here?

Stuart

Social source share

Hi Frank,

remember attending a few mid week do's at Carrow Road during the summer, travelled from Yorkshire ! Sure that was under the Back Street banner. A few from Cambridge - St Noets nights attended. Steve Hobbs, Max Rees, Steve Jackson ?

:)

Yes Nick ,

we had a good thing going then , Steve Jackson (RIP ) was a great Dj and good on the Microphone , great support from the Cambridge guys too , Max was very positive . We had gigs in the Iron monger PH, Black swan PH others. Chris is busy with family life these days but i keep up to date via Andy Etheridge.

all the best Frank

Social source share

Those who were there know that Dave & Barry came as a package, dastardly duo, double trouble, hinge & bracket :lol: . I guess Dave doesn't get mentioned as much due to him not being on this site, but just because he's out of sight, people don't, and won't forget his massive contribution to downstairs. :thumbsup:

brad1.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

amazing nighter, really dark and dirty in there, excellent spots from Rodger Banks and Pat Brady I recall. The tune's that always sticks out in my mind are; Kel Osbourne- quicksand and al foster Band- night of the wolf, cleared the floor for most, it was just too fast and most of us couldnt shuffle. If olny we still had a nighter with the same underground atmosphere and variety of musical policy!

Used to go to the all daters in late 70's/early 80 at Queens Hall and can remember Al Foster being played then used to echo all around the dance floor, a great sound :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

well spotted, could it be the legendary white promo!

Wasn't the white label a boot that some DJ's had? Mix everyone was chasing was on a double pack promo I thought and everything else was wrong mix or boot. The boot did sell for a lot of money I believe so maybe where the legendary white promo story came from. Where is Mr Salter when you need him, his memory is much better than mine. fk me a house theme and I am talking OVO, we need to stop it, its becoming second nature :-))

Related story was due to a chance conversation at a record fair an old mate Kerso, who you can see on card above, found about a stash of a few copies of the double pack in Musselburgh, 7 miles away from me and in my old town, in the TV shop as they guy dealt records on the side. We cleaned them out as they were impossible to get. Nostalgia, again/

I remember that card and know almost everyone on it, remember Robin going around with, so where is my signature, I sometimes wonder if maybe I just invent being there....

• Helpful 2
Social source share

From memory the white promo was the original mix done by Basement Boys before Sony signed it..It was less polished than the double packs that Jocko describes...but yes some highly desirable mixes on the Double..

HOUSE MUSIC ALL NIGHT LONG !!!

Heard a rumour back then that the original white labels were pressed from stolen tapes from the New Music Seminar, then in New York. The double pack promo mixes are different, although one on memory is almost identical other than the lolletta sample which wasn't used.

On Mass Order, you ain't heard it until Terrance Parker mixes it. If your into mixing and scratching there's a cracking vid from DEMF of Terrance playing with this.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

bradcard.jpgbradcard1.jpg

See Rob Tipper on there so that'll be Rob, Ady and Derby crew. Deffo Renaisance Mansfield regulars along with Trill, Alan Greaves, Shelvo etc from Leicester.

And of course Alan Walls.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

From memory the white promo was the original mix done by Basement Boys before Sony signed it..It was less polished than the double packs that Jocko describes...but yes some highly desirable mixes on the Double..

The white label 'boot' was played at Bradford at least six months before Sony signed it.

Social source share

Wasn't the white label a boot that some DJ's had? Mix everyone was chasing was on a double pack promo I thought and everything else was wrong mix or boot. The boot did sell for a lot of money I believe so maybe where the legendary white promo story came from. Where is Mr Salter when you need him, his memory is much better than mine. fk me a house theme and I am talking OVO, we need to stop it, its becoming second nature :-))

Related story was due to a chance conversation at a record fair an old mate Kerso, who you can see on card above, found about a stash of a few copies of the double pack in Musselburgh, 7 miles away from me and in my old town, in the TV shop as they guy dealt records on the side. We cleaned them out as they were impossible to get. Nostalgia, again/

I remember that card and know almost everyone on it, remember Robin going around with, so where is my signature, I sometimes wonder if maybe I just invent being there....

bradcard3.jpgbradcard2.jpg

You must have been in the bogs Jocko :wink:

Social source share

The double pack promo mixes are different

They are - the Tony Humphries mix was the one on the (numbered) dp's - there are a number of other Sony-forged mixes also, across vinyl promo's and cd singles :wink: - alongside the uncleared LH sample the boot had the original Yazoo keyboards sample also not cleared for the Sony release.

It is a much rougher mix but is all the better for it.

I had a beautiful Mass Order jacket from one of the Sony reps that some swine pinched @ Southport.

Edited by Barry
Social source share

The booty mix did come out eventually 0on an official but as you day at the time it was imposssible to find, still sounds awsome today.
Social source share

this is the mix I play, Ill be interested to here the difference, in this and the boot, proper. Byrney sent me an awsome link to terrance parker mashing Mass order up but alsa I cant find it,Bryney????/ least I think it was him.

No sound here but mate - the Sony Boot Mix was polished up though.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

this is the mix I play, Ill be interested to here the difference, in this and the boot, proper. Byrney sent me an awsome link to terrance parker mashing Mass order up but alsa I cant find it,Bryney????/ least I think it was him.

Don't know if this will work as I'm using an iPad. TP doing his thing ( not the boot mix) but proper turntable capers here.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!