So Was 2012 A Good Year For You Soulwise? Nuffin Negative

Spacehopper

WOW!...must have been a buzz...love it when youngsters get into it....seen a few out over the year incuding a couple of kids under 10 at rallies!!...although not got very good jobs i suppose money wise lucky as neither me or my partner has kids..ive a stepdaughter from a previous relationship and sadly dont see her much now but know from the past the money involved!...would have been great if she was into northern ..tried for years but wouldnt have it!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Highlight of the year for me was organising the Newark on Trent Scooter Club, 'scooter/soul' nights

wanted to do something a little different but keep it within the ethos of a scooter night, brought in a young lad Joel to play British RnB,

after our first night, Steve Johnson said to me "Thats the best scooter night i've ever been to"

High praise indeed :thumbsup:

Merry christmas and a Happy new year to all you SS's

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I've spent 2012 umming and ahhing about selling up, however I've actually bought quite a few records, but I'm now considering selling up again. I got rid of a lot of records in 2011 so I'm down to a couple of boxes now.

I haven't been to a single soul night, dayer, weekend or niter and haven't missed it.

My sailing has improved considerably, and I've spent some of the money I got selling records on refurbishing and improving my vintage dinghy.

Social source share

Soulwise, it's been quite a good year for me.

Managed to get over to the U.K. a lot more and had the privilege of dj'ing at some great clubs

including a residency at the wonderful Radcliffe allnighter (i must be doing something right!).

Manchester has become my 2nd home and i've met and made friends with some great people.

Leeds was another true highlight for me attending and dj'ing at both the "Empty Bottles" and

"That Driving Beat" clubs and really opened my eyes (and ears) to how good this scene can actually be!

On the record buying front, i have heard (and purchased) many "new to me" records and

have ticked off quite a few 'wants' off that ever growing list.

It's a year that i've felt quite proud (and lucky) to be part of something so special and here's hoping it

continues in 2013.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Didn't go to a single allnighter, soul event or do of any description. Didn't even go to a pub.

Had to sell my personal collection which was something I said I'd never do.

Did some interesting podcasts.

That just about sums my 2012 up.

Did some very interesting podcasts , don't you mean Pete. Well they were to me anyhow.

And you smashed your way through 30,000 posts, an achievement of a kind.

Funny old year for me - some great music via CD swaps, my eternal gratitude to those folk that expanded my knowledge of this wonderful music of ours. Some great events too but limited to frequency by the usual restrictions.

Personally a difficult year but always optimistic about the future.

Have a good one, Pete and fellow sourcers.

Mike.

Social source share

Yeah, great year for me, retired (early) first of Jan, did 6 weekenders, holiday abroad, dj'd at 3 weekenders and got great feedback. Bought loads of "wants" and made some more friends. Great,,, oh,and put a stone on...!!

Nearly forgot in January was told that even though my heart will never be normal I can lead a normal life, just take tablets every day for the rest of it.

:)

Edited by Dave West
Social source share

been a mixed year... our horse and groom sunday chillout has had continual success apart from that i only get out once a month and works been hit and miss so not much money for vinyl so i have to move a few dust gatherers on and also look for a bargain or two i can make a buck on for the wants....still enjoying it tho i did say i might sell up next year when i`m 50..we`ll see...........and ive put a stone on but then i always been a fat git

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Year started off not knowing what the year had in store for me but thankfully things went my way and since then bought some cracking tunes sold a few been to a few allnighters plenty soul nights the odd alldayer, had a nightmare with one of me daughters when in April broke her back getting chucked off her mates horse then when she got all clear in September with her back she then got kicked in the face by another mates horse that smashed her face to bits but thankfully she has been rebuilt and only a few scares remain and the nutter is back horse riding again already lol. Got engaged to Marie and all in all 2012 has been a great year as we're all healthy and still smiling. Wild like to do more soulful things but money has been tight this year or have I just bought too many tunes lolol

Happy Christmas and Happy New Year to you all and may 2013 be half as good as 2012.

See you out there somewhere soon xxxxx

Social source share

Have to say it's been a great year for me. A lot by design cos I was 50 in January and wanted to make sure we got out and about to as many different events as time would allow and we did.

Indulged myself in my photographing the scene as best I can and made lot's of friends along the way. By a chance conversation at Lowton in February I found myself working with the youngsters in the North West preparing for filming with Elaine Constantines film project every Thursday night. They aint actors, they aint trained dancers they're a refreshing bunch of fine young people with a desire and passion for the scene that burns as brightly within them as it does with us then and now. And as an added bonus I spent 5 days working on a film set which was an experience in itself and one that will live with me forever.

Went to a Northern Soul wedding, went to good events, went to one or two frankly piss poor events and learnt what I like and don't like. 2013 will be a very different roadtrip of events but thats for next year.

Got me a northern soul tattoo and crossed that Rubicon.

Oh and I did dance once or twice but you'd need to be quick to catch that

If I had to sum 2012 up in an image then I'd offer this. Two young men dancing to Jimmy Bo Horn "I Just Can't Speak" Its' written all over their faces

161212_89-M.jpg

Have a wonderful Christmas and may 2013 bring you health, happiness, good fortune and a little bit of wealth

Martyn xxx

www.souledonsoul.com

Edited by MartynJJ
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

been a mixed year... our horse and groom sunday chillout has had continual success apart from that i only get out once a month and works been hit and miss so not much money for vinyl so i have to move a few dust gatherers on and also look for a bargain or two i can make a buck on for the wants....still enjoying it tho i did say i might sell up next year when i`m 50..we`ll see...........and ive put a stone on but then i always been a fat git

Hi Dave,is that Bobby Hill on Lo Lo still gathering dust???
Social source share

This year has been in all a good year for me. I picked up a lot of great tunes, and cheap too, some of which I hadn't heard of before, so always a bonus.

This year has also been good as the 'Leeds Central' came into it's own for the second time around, bringing with it many faces I hadn't seen for nearly 40 years. So yes in general a great year for soul for me.

Edited by Steve Luigi
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Thats very good news Gordy....

All the best...

Cheers mate.

I had chronic back problems and have arthritis in my knees. I got gastric weight loss surgery a couple of months ago, have lost almost 4 stones already, the back pain is almost gone and the arthritis is manageable with pain killers.

And I can't eat junk food anymore, so more money for records and going out!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

After many good nights out with Claire at soul related venues, meeting up with all the old Aspull crew after many many years has got to be up there with the high lights of the year for me regards being out and about! Saying that we have NQlive to come :-)

Steve j

Social source share

its been a great year for me

stopped smoking in february after 40 years on the weed and feel very very much the better for it.

my wife bought me the bike of my dreams a triumph bonneville 2007 850cc, its fookin choz :yes:

music wise heard new to me , loving that girl Raphael Saadiq and a long forgeton fave,

Melba Moore magic touch, both courtesy of this site .

been out and about mainly in yorkshire and the east midlands and think the oldies scene is really buzzing there

some well attended , cracking venues with people and music I like.

ventured over the penines into injun countree a few times and shared the vibrant oldies scene there at the monaco .

done a few w/enders , Brid ,Scarbro and best of all for me the Isle of Wight august bank holiday and r angie rode pillion with me for the first time .

would like to see a bit more tolerance on all sides and genres of the soul scene especially towards the young and newbies to the scene ,

would like to see a few more females and younsters behind the decks instead of the same old fat over 50s baldies that dominate the decks,

on that note wish everyone a merry christmas and hope for a prosperous new year for us all, :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Good year for me Soul-wise, with a great trip out to the Valencia weekender with all the DJ's scaling the hights but Maria and Carl Willingham really smashing it and new friends made.

Been privalidged to have been at some great nights at Solid Hit Soul in London - top tunes from residents and guests.

Enjoyed Soul nights all across London.

Looking forward to going to Rimini and Lifeline for the first time this year and hopefully back to Valencia again.

Well pleased as well to have been asked to do a few guest DJ spots and ad a real blast doing them.

Actually managed to buy some long time wants as well.

Dave

Social source share

Had a very busy year work wise so wasnt as active on the scene as in recent years.Pulled out of running a few venues because of concerns over music policy with co promoters this year,not to interested in the fancy dress side of the scene.Still managed to be involved with a couple of weekenders, one a great success one not bad could do a lot better.Got well and truly stabbed in the back by a so called mate,but thats life on the soul scene.Did a bit of djing and supported a few local venues,bought way to many records and had some good laughs as always.Crowning glory came in early dec,found a fantastic venue that will hopefully replace the much missed middleton niters.More about that early in 2013,atb to all ssers for xmas and new year.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

It's been a good year for me. Not just for soul but for scootering too.

I completed the rebuild of my first Lambert this year and got it on the road, passed my full motorcycle test in June.

Over the year, I have attended 11 scooter rallies. With the highlights being the LCGB Coast to Coast (would fully recommend this to any scooterists on here, what great crack and adventure!) and riding to the euro Lambretta in Belgium. At each rally I've partied hard and danced to lots of soul/ska/punk/dance etc and I can't wait to do it some more next year!

I've discovered the joys of vinyl and listened to so many new tunes. I even persuaded my dad to dig his collection out, he has had it tucked away for year and years for fear that when I was younger, we woul damage the records.

I've got two DJ spots lined up in the next week or so. Can't wait! And maybe another 3-4 in the pipe line.

Edited by NorthernJordan
Social source share

I've managed to bag a couple of tunes I didn't think I'd run into in my travels, namely Tommy Navarro "I Cried My Life Away" with the red/white/blue label and Dana Valery (promo) You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies and loads of other gap filler bits in excellent condition. I haven't been out to many soul nighters in our area, but hope to rectify this in 2013, and hopefully make a trip over to the UK in the new year.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Spent the whole year enthusing about 60's & 70's black music which,more or less is the aim every year.Lost several people dear to me which has become par for the course,but we move on,trying to pull things out of that bottomless pit of soul.

Social source share

First of all thanks to the many Likes tags against my first post.Always found Soul people to have big hearts and me and my daughter having our dance together must have stuck a nerve with you big tough Soulies.Some very uplifting Posts in this thread make inspirational reading.Despite less money of late i'm gonna really try to get to more nights next year.Life is too short and as i get older i'm reminded of a Logo on a Guy's Tea Shirt i saw a few years ago which simply said

SO MUCH SOUL---SO LITTLE TIME .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Steve Clancy's (mister fish) podcasts, mix CDs and sales lists have helped kept me sane in 2012 !!!

Keep it soulful Soul sourcers this Xmas and in 2013...........I know that you will !!

Social source share

Been lots to enjoy - highlights for me are Va Va Voom NYE Small Fakers playing Ogdens Nut Gone Flake side 2 live - brilliant! Darrow Fletcher at the 100 Club - The 100 Club all nighters - missed the last one because of a holiday but most memorable guest spots this year I think from Steve Cato, Ian levine, Frank Webster, Dave Rimmer, Andy Dyson, Adrian Corbin - great Anniversary single - cheers Ady !. New places I've been to this year are Soul Syndicate ( Marco and Dave Hill's night in Kensall Rise ) and 99p Soul in Farringdon - both top drawer.- Oh and not forgetting Filthy Soul's August Bank Holiday all dayer. Looking forward to their all dayer next week. Been up to Norwich a few times to the Backstreet Soul Club - Their Easter Bank Holiday all dayer is quality. Also a great Mod night up there at All Our yesterdays. Did my first podcast on here which you've all probably heard by now :) Really enjoyed Chalky's Stafford podcasts and the SS Record Club threads on here this year. I'm ending the year as it started at Va Va Voom - Arthur Brown live - so should be good :thumbup: . All in all a really enjoyable year.

Mike

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Strange year for me planned for the final curtain with the world ending so i've had to apologise to loads of people i sent malicious mail to.My son being not guilty after a long and ardious police investigation and trial at crown court.Work wise has been slow .Meeting my soul mate.having my best year for record collecting .Sadly seeing my beutiful country slowly being flushed down the europeon bog.Sadly dawning on me the prospect of 18 million of our ash trees being ripped down this could have been controlled and i believe the govenment have let this situation run to this so they can rush through planning permission on land that would never have been built on.Found my first English truffle .did plenty of travelling and loads of nighters, weekenders and soul nights.so managed to keep my head above water but sad end to the year with my Daughter in law dying unexpectedly last week at the age of 24 funeral next friday, lost my mum but gained another grandson Maximus (yes i know!!!) so i escaped another year without snuffing it and looking foreward to next with maby a marrage in the air!!!!!!!!! a very happy Christmas and merry new year Sharmo.

Social source share

Looking back its been a stunningly soulful year attended some superb larger venues this year and also seen many smaller more intimate one's really do well.

Had a sad loss in a great friend losing his battle to live "Nogsy" Mark Newman but also had a new member of my family arrive Keidis .

Collecting wise , my Jewel has to be Brenda Jones this year , thank you Browny x

Health wise a year I will be glad to get behind me having had a major operation and then had complications which took three months of my year away from me soulfully , but hey ho life goes on :)

Made some great new friends and I have been inspired by the soul activists around me that the next year will be even better

Social source share

Its been a great soulful year for me over here in Denmark.

Firstly moving down here after two long hard years of trying to make things work in Malmö Sweden (just across the water from here). Malmö does have the best soul record shop in the region (Hej Sebastian!) and some fine DJs, but Copenhagen had so much more to offer me and I'm all the happier for making the move.

After a half-year playing on a pretty bad night finally severed ties with our bad 3rd DJ partner and created our monthly mod club, Tower City Garage & Soul Club, at one of the most popular nightclubs in Copenhagen. I've also started up another dedicated northern night called Delegates Of Soul that brings together DJs from some of the great clubs here in town (GhettoSoul, Backstreet). Both have seen great attendance and positive response.

Had a short trip back home to the states for my sister's wedding in California which was the most beautiful event, and got to DJ two solid hours of rare soul as well as walk my sister down the aisle to her wonderful husband. Also did a little record digging in San Francisco and dug up a few great tunes, including the last stock copy of Carrie Cleveland - I Need Love on Audio Ent from Groove Merchant (thanks to Cool Chris and Dick at Rookie's records, both top notch shops!)

picked up some great new-to-me tunes as well as some top wants, mostly through this forum (hats off to you guys and gals!) and discovered plenty more to add to the ever-growing want list. Its been great discovering this forum and the wealth of knowledge all of you have, I've cut back tremendously on ebay and bought way fewer mis-graded records.

All in all a great year, looking forward to even more goodness in 2013!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Been a quiet year for us soul wise. Getting married in April after 4 and a bit years together still found us just wanting to ease into married life and all the trappings that come with it. Starting a new job at the same time was challenging and exhausting at times but I'm so grateful to be employed doing something I enjoy. :)

Highlights would be Rugby (as always!) and 100 Club with top spot for me being there to see and hear the wonderful Darrow Fletcher. :wub:

Had a great "1st" Christmas and intend to make up for lost time in 2013 (settled into being married and a new job! :lol: ) and we're starting the new year with a bang at an old favourite-Va Va Voom! Happy New Year and see you on a dancefloor soon! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Been a quiet year for us soul wise. Getting married in April after 4 and a bit years together still found us just wanting to ease into married life and all the trappings that come with it. Starting a new job at the same time was challenging and exhausting at times but I'm so grateful to be employed doing something I enjoy. :)

Highlights would be Rugby (as always!) and 100 Club with top spot for me being there to see and hear the wonderful Darrow Fletcher. :wub:

Had a great "1st" Christmas and intend to make up for lost time in 2013 (settled into being married and a new job! :lol: ) and we're starting the new year with a bang at an old favourite-Va Va Voom! Happy New Year and see you on a dancefloor soon! :thumbsup:

Starting the new year with a bang :lol: :lol: :hatsoff2: ... Must be still on your honeymoon..

Social source share

2012 - Lots to say but too little time to say it!

Health has been up & Down but hopefully better now.

Retire in 9 weeks!

Not been to may Soul nights this year but probably alot more in 2013

Highlight for me was doing BIR (banbury Internet radio)- What a great laugh it was especially the Pub Singer record! and Ive even been asked back Beaver and all!

Bought quite a few tunes and sold quite a few (nothing changes there)

Happy New year to all!

Social source share

has to be the surprise of becoming a nana well, a soul nan lol, I love thrusting photos of Madison in front of everyones mush, and baby sit to a cd of northern ! its changed my perspective on life , and after going to a my work mates funeral of her 23 year old daughter , I think I am truly blessed. and very lucky.

my target for 2013 is to get some of them wants under my belt , some things never change.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!