Mary Wells On Jubilee

Ljblanken

I just started getting into Mary Wells recordings on Jubilee ("sweet love", "dig the way i feel" - and ESPECIALLY "mind reader"). i never realy noticed them before, i guess, because they are "cheap as chips" (as the Brits say)

anyway, she is great (of course), but all of them seem to share the same kind of interesting production. it sounds really kind of relaxed, almost rudimentary, but it gives the recordings (especially the recording of the lead vocals) a really intimate vibe.

It says they are all produced by Cecil and Mary Womack. does anyone know anything more about the band, etc? Am i on crack?

Thanks!

"mind reader"

• Helpful 2
Social source share

To my shame I had never heard any of her Jubilee recordings. So, many thanks for drawing them to my attention - I shall be digging around this weekend for sure. I have to say that I was surprised to see the Womacks on production - if that track is indicative o fthe sound they created for Mary it was clearly a template for stuff they later recorded themselves as artists.

Social source share

"Two Lovers History" from these sessions has to be one of the great unheralded soul ballads. Also recorded a few numbers up in the Jubilee catalogue by The Valentinos themselves in a kind of answer version and also brilliant.

Cecil Womack and Mary were married at the time and made a formidable writing team.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

"Two Lovers History" from these sessions has to be one of the great unheralded soul ballads. Also recorded a few numbers up in the Jubilee catalogue by The Valentinos themselves in a kind of answer version and also brilliant.

Cecil Womack and Mary were married at the time and made a formidable writing team.

will have to get this one - never heard of it!

Social source share

No info on the band, but have always identified the Jubilee 'Dig The Way I Feel' groove with Cecil’s late 80's material. There’s no doubting the talent of the late Mary Wells; considering Motown’s 'My Guy' and 'Can't You See You're Losing Me' (Atco),

and, amidst all the music business sh*ite she had to endure at the time. Add Cecil to the equation and the Jubilee A-sides are well crafted with lighter melodies, different direction and added variety. Cecil comes in 3 seconds before the run out on 'Dig The Way I feel' reminding me of late 80’s album ‘Conscious’ a funk/ electro flavour of Soul of it's time. ('Teardrops' single going massive in Europe of course). The flip to ‘Dig the Way I Feel’ is pretty dire though.

Incidentally, a track I’ve enjoyed on the floor this year is a Womack brothers beauty! - The Valentinos ‘Sweeter Than The Day Before' (Chess). A totally 'uplifting' light-hearted dancer penned by Mary & Cecil. Could this have been their own love song before they married? :)

Social source share

Yes that's an brilliant track, sounds like a slower version of You Got To Pay The Price, the tune I mean...nice on a green and white Stateside demo...

see what you mean Pete, I'll take Mary Wells every day though, The Doctor is sublime and far superior, them two stabs of horn and guitar make it dance really well. Sounds like it should be dead expensive, but it can be had for less than a tenner.

Edited by Jhsoulnotts
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!