Eddie Billups

Guest just mo

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 42
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

WANTED: Eddie Billups 'Shake off that dream'.

PM or email me at: mo.chapman3@virgin.net :yes:

Great record.

As a matter of interest, this came out on 4 different labels as a 45.

Helpp

Seventy 7

Garpax

Solid Gold

Guess you don't mind which label though.

Just love it!

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Great record.

Helpp

Seventy 7

Garpax

Solid Gold

Just love it!

Sean Hampsey

Tis quite amazing that it appears on four labels - are there any other rare soul 45s that appear on as many or more labels ???

Girf

Social source share

Guest stromberg

Helpp

Seventy 7

Garpax

Solid Gold

two different mixes though, and as all four versions are not really what you would call cheap, maybe this is of relevance..

helpp and 77

garpax and Solid Gold

are identical, as far as I know..

Cheers,

Stefan

Social source share

helpp and 77

garpax and Solid Gold

This is true!

Helpp & 77 are by far the best mix

Garpax & Solid Gold are a later and therefore more 'discofied' mix with a twangy bass thing going on.

I can't think of any other 'rare' soul records that have had as many 'rare' label releases.

(Tommy Neal springs to mind, as I type, but still not as many as Eddie?).

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Guest just mo

Great record.

Helpp

Seventy 7

Garpax

Solid Gold

Just love it!

Sean Hampsey

Yes, great record! Would prefer Seventy 7 or Helpp.
Social source share

Guest stromberg

helpp and 77

garpax and Solid Gold

This is true!

Helpp & 77 are by far the best mix

Garpax & Solid Gold are a later and therefore more 'discofied' mix with a twangy bass thing going on.

I can't think of any other 'rare' soul records that have had as many 'rare' label releases.

(Tommy Neal springs to mind, as I type, but still not as many as Eddie?).

Sean Hampsey

I also thought the Garpax/ Solid Gold version is the later one, but the descritpion of the current John Manship auction of the Garpax one says it is BEFORE 77 :yes:

now that is confusing!

I like both versions..

Stefan

Social source share

I reckon Eddie touted this one all over the place and that's why it was out so many times.

• Helpp was his own label and spawned SOTD's first release
  • He then licensed it to Seventy 7
  • He then remixed it and it came out on Garpax
  • He then (some years later) put the remix out on his own Solid Gold label

Is my version of events.

Garpax is often, wrongly, quoted as being the 'original'.

Helpp is most definately the original, first issue.

He currently resides in Boston MA I believe.

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

I reckon Eddie touted this one all over the place and that's why it was out so many times.

Is my version of events.

Sean Hampsey

Having owned all 4, that is the correct order as far as I am concerned ! Helpp is the one to have IMVHO

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Glad that you concur mate. I only own three of the four at the moment Gavin.

Need a Helpp copy like I need breath!

:yes:

Sean

All 4 of mine have gone now :yes: . Ivor Jones bought the 77 issue I had left. I think he was going to sell his Garpax issue !

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Great record but also i must say that the Garpax version is by far the best, easliy the most funky and as for label designs it's the coolest of the 4 :thumbsup:

best

Leo

Social source share

Is my version of events.

Sean Hampsey

Agree I remember reading in Steve Bryant's old mag the John Richborg SS& interviews that he just came in off the street with the demos cut it and left. I like the Garpax version as well!

Social source share

• 11 months later...

He then (some years later) put the remix out on his own Solid Gold label. Sean Hampsey

Hey up Sean - meant to mention this a few months ago but forgot.

At the Middleton allnighter last January Soul Sam played me on a portable a 7" by Shorty Billups "Shake off that dream" on Solid Gold Records. Mmmm never seen it by that name before

I knew the various releases of this song by Eddie Billups had been dissected on here many times in the past so I put a search on it and trawled through the results.

In this thread there's no mention of this song as being released by Shorty Billups, so does that mean Eddie and Shorty are in reality the same person? However on the wonderful flip of his 77 single "Try something new" Eddie namechecks a Shorty Billups so is he/she a brother/sister or some other family member?

So what I'm trying to say was - was "Shake off that dream" released twice then on Solid Gold once as by Eddie Billups and the other as Shorty Billups?

Vinyl eh tut!

derek

I think a library of label scans would help

Social source share

Hey up Sean - meant to mention this a few months ago but forgot.

At the Middleton allnighter last January Soul Sam played me on a portable a 7" by Shorty Billups "Shake off that dream" on Solid Gold Records. Mmmm never seen it by that name before

I knew the various releases of this song by Eddie Billups had been dissected on here many times in the past so I put a search on it and trawled through the results.

In this thread there's no mention of this song as being released by Shorty Billups, so does that mean Eddie and Shorty are in reality the same person? However on the wonderful flip of his 77 single "Try something new" Eddie namechecks a Shorty Billups so is he/she a brother/sister or some other family member?

So what I'm trying to say was - was "Shake off that dream" released twice then on Solid Gold once as by Eddie Billups and the other as Shorty Billups?

Vinyl eh tut!

derek

I think a library of label scans would help

Hi Derek,

The Solid Gold Version is the same as the Garpax version.

I believe Eddie Billups and Shorty Billups are one and the same although I've often read reports to the contrary. Reason is exactly as you stated, the 'Solid Gold' SHORTY mix is exactly the same record as the Garpax EDDIE mix and various other clues on the labels.

I've now got pretty much every release by Eddie (and Shorty!) and will gladly put up pics but I'm in Spain at the moment so will have to wait until next week.

Oh... and by the way... I recently picked up the Hellp copy of SOTD... and it's bloody Gorgeous!

:rolleyes:

Sean

Social source share

Hi Derek,

I believe Eddie Billups and Shorty Billups are one and the same although I've often read reports to the contrary. Reason is exactly as you stated, the 'Solid Gold' SHORTY mix is exactly the same record as the Garpax EDDIE mix and various other clues on the labels.

I've now got pretty much every release by Eddie (and Shorty!) and will gladly put up pics but I'm in Spain at the moment so will have to wait until next week.

Oh... and by the way... I recently picked up the Hellp copy of SOTD... and it's bloody Gorgeous!

:lol:

Sean

Eddie Billups and the Gigs have a fantastic mid-60s record on Maxx -- New York Kangaroo. It sounds like the larks "the jerk." Craig Moorer had some copies for $25, I recommend people buy them while they're still up.

Social source share

Hi Derek,

:lol:

Sean

Sean, just to complete the vinyl release picture on Eddie Billups, Shake Off That Dream and its wonderful flip side both appeared on a superb and very tough to find Japanese only LP on P-Vine :no:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I have this too...............anyone any more info on this.

Russ

I've never had the SOUND OF GOLD 12" (Eddie Owen) release Russ / Karl but my mucker... John "Bad" Benson has had a copy since the 80's.

I guess it comes from the same period as the Solid Gold 45 as it shares the Garpax mix.

I have always suspected that both were Eddie's own labels, but I don't know this for certain.

:thumbsup:

Best

Sean

Social source share

Thanks for that!

Any other Eddie tracks on the LP?

:thumbsup:

Sean

I'll dig it out of storage and let you know but it was one of those P-Vine LP jobbies that compiled two or three tracks from three or four artists from the same family of labels and put it out as a various artists comp. Great stuff BUT I hope someone will one day translate from Japanese into English those inner sleeve notes that so many of the P-Vine LP's carry with them !!! :wicked:

Social source share

I've never had the SOUND OF GOLD 12" (Eddie Owen) release Russ / Karl but my mucker... John "Bad" Benson has had a copy since the 80's.

I guess it comes from the same period as the Solid Gold 45 as it shares the Garpax mix.

I have always suspected that both were Eddie's own labels, but I don't know this for certain.

:wicked:

Best

Sean

Well, seeing as you're talking about me (again) I thought I'd just add my bit. :thumbsup:

Yes, I have the Eddie Owen 12" - bought from London's Bluebird records during the early 80's.

Actually it's on Solid Gold, not Sound of Gold:

post-5094-1176227188_thumb.jpg

I don't know for certain if it's exactly the same as the Garpax recording as I've never compared them, but the 12" certainly seems to 'go on' for quite some time (I'll have to time it sometime as there's no timing details on the record)

It seems like only yesterday when a group of us were sat discussing this and the numerous other issues of the song / artist variations - Clifton Hall in Rotherham, I have often wondered who the people were, maybe some of you reading this?

I never did get any of the other issues of this song though! :lol:

Here's the Helpp scan btw:

post-5094-1176227872_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Well, seeing as you're talking about me (again) I thought I'd just add my bit. :thumbsup:

Yes, I have the Eddie Owen 12" - bought from London's Bluebird records during the early 80's.

Actually it's on Solid Gold, not Sound of Gold:

post-5094-1176227188_thumb.jpg

I don't know for certain if it's exactly the same as the Garpax recording as I've never compared them, but the 12" certainly seems to 'go on' for quite some time (I'll have to time it sometime as there's no timing details on the record)

I have it on Sound of Gold, 4 track EP also credited to Eddie Owen. And it's deffo the same lenght and version as Garpax 45.

Other tracks being:

Sweet sweet dream

Dynamite Explosion

Try something new

So makes six releases now, 4 on 45 and two on 12?

Social source share

yes kev we got one, never had a single post when put up, just a pm off butch, which i bought.

thumbsup.gif

Nice one (on Helpp I presume ?)

Social source share

• 1 year later...

I know this an old post & I am sorry if I am repeating any information already on here but I just found my 2 Eddie Owen 12's & got excited & looked up what had been written about them. I am more of a 12" collector & I had these before I knew the Eddie Billups 45.

I have a 12" on Solid Gold & a 5 cut EP on Sound Of Gold.

The 12" is the same version as the Garpax 45 but it is almost twice as long.When the 45 fades the 12" goes into an instrumental section before repeating the first verse & on....

On the flip of the 12" is an Instrumental version which is Instrumental for a couple of minutes until just the backing vocals come in.

Now here is the strange thing. The EP I have has 5 tracks

I WANNA KEEP SOMEBODY HAPPY

DETERMINATION

ALONE

MRS.M

& SHAKE OFF THAT DREAM - DISCO - which is basically the Instrumental version I described above but shorter.

So this is different to the EPthat Russ Vickers has.

So that makes it 4 x singles, 2 x EP's & 1 x 12"  - and they are all rare.

Social source share

Stop Press on my earlier post.

I've now almost completed the Eddie (Shorty) Billups collection... pretty much everything except the Peachtree. :lol:

Kev Briscoe and I met him last year.

When I produced the entire pack (some 15+ records) he almost bawled out loud. Said he'd never seen most of 'em.

I asked him about all the various label releases, but he was vague... 'it was a very long time ago'.

He confirmed that He (Shorty) and Eddie are the same person - but that he also had a brother called Eddie. He used the name 'Eddie' on some of the releases to give his brothers singing career a boost. :yes:

A very strange encounter - but a great entertainer, he had us in stitches.

Can still sing a bit too!

After all these years, 'Shake Off That Dream' is still one of my all time faves.

:wicked:

Sean

Social source share

I Have this on a Jap LP 77 luna collection artist is ED Owens -Shake off that dream so thats ED, Eddie & shorty??

Neil

I've now almost completed the Eddie (Shorty) Billups collection... pretty much everything except the Peachtree. :lol:

When I produced the entire pack (some 15+ records) he almost bawled out loud. Said he'd never seen most of 'em.

I asked him about all the various label releases, but he was vague... 'it was a very long time ago'.

He confirmed that He (Shorty) and Eddie are the same person - but that he also had a brother called Eddie. He used the name 'Eddie' on some of the releases to give his brothers singing career a boost. :lol:

After all these years, 'Shake Off That Dream' is still one of my all time faves.

:wave:

Sean

Social source share

I've now almost completed the Eddie (Shorty) Billups collection... pretty much everything except the Peachtree. :no:

He confirmed that He (Shorty) and Eddie are the same person - but that he also had a brother called Eddie. He used the name 'Eddie' on some of the releases to give his brothers singing career a boost. :lamsey:

:thumbup:

Sean

Agree totally Sean

I love this and "ask my heart"

Superb vocals !

Social source share