Breakdown Of Postage Costs

Pete S

Don't know if this is of any use to anyone but I've got proper figures for the cost of mailing records so if you think people are overcharging you, you can refer to this list: the mailing costs are from the post office obviously, and the mailers and cardboard are from Covers 33.

BREAKDOWN OF POSTAGE COSTS

IN THE UK

FIRST CLASS

1 X 7" = £1.50

How this is arrived at:

1ST CLASS = 68P

MAILER = 50P

CARDBOARD = 30P

TOTAL £1.48

THIS GETS ROUNDED UP TO £1.50 TO COVER HANDLING, PETROL TO POST OFFICE ETC ETC - that's a profit of 2p

RECORDED DELIVERY IS 68p EXTRA

SO 1 X 7" BY 1ST CLASS RECORDED DELIVERY IS £2.18

FOR EACH EXTRA RECORD ADD 16P

2ND CLASS

1 X 7" = £1.30

How this is arrived at:

2ND CLASS = 50P

MAILER, CARDBOARD ETC REMAIN THE SAME SO TOTAL = £1.30

WITH RECORDED DELIVERY = £1.98

THIS GETS ROUNDED UP TO £2.00 TO COVER HANDLING, PETROL TO POST OFFICE ETC ETC - that's a profit of 2p

FOR EACH EXTRA RECORD ADD 10P

FOR MOST OF EUROPE

1 x7" 1st class airmail = £1.21

Packaging etc = 80p

TOTAL = £2.01

SIGNED FOR REGISTERED MAIL IS £3.50 EXTRA

FOR EACH EXTRA RECORD ADD 15p

FOR USA, JAPAN, AUSTRALIA

1 x7" 1st class airmail = £1.87

Packaging etc = 80p

TOTAL = £2.67

FOR EACH EXTRA RECORD ADD 30p

LP'S

UK

1 X LP = £2.82

How this is arrived at:

1ST CLASS = £1.90

MAILER = 48p

CARDBOARD = 44p

TOTAL £2.82

SO 1 X LP BY 1ST CLASS RECORDED DELIVERY IS £3.50

FOR EACH EXTRA RECORD ADD 50p

EUROPE

1 X LP = £4.00

(Postage £3.10 plus 92p packaging materials)

SIGNED FOR DELIVERY IS £3.50 EXTRA

REST OF THE WORLD

1 X LP = £6.06

(Postage £5.14 plus 92p packing materials)

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well done Pete.

That's very useful. Thanks.

But you watch, you'll get some that will add extras on for their time, certain other overheads, petrol to Post Office and back for example, etc, etc, based on the fact that they are 'running a business'.

Which, within limits, is understandable.

The cost of p&p when selling by collectors is kept low because, well that's just the way we are. But 'dealers' see it differently.

I know you buy and sell just like a dealer but you still think like a collector. I only wish everybody else did too.

I'm currently arguing about p&p from the States at nearly $13. Yes, 13 effin Dollars.

Social source share

Don't know if this is of any use to anyone but I've got proper figures for the cost of mailing records so if you think people are overcharging you, you can refer to this list: the mailing costs are from the post office obviously, and the mailers and cardboard are from Covers 33.

Thanks Pete, useful stuff and just goes to show ya.........

Not sure if you forgot (or I missed) UK Special Delivery - Guaranteed next day, insurance to 2,500 pounds? Cost = 4.50.

John.

Social source share

I find this very usefull for working out postage prices and insurance , destinations etc. Its so easy to use.

https://sg.royalmail.com/portal/rm/PriceFin...ear=pricingcalc

This is what I got when I accessed your link;

Sorry...

An error has occurred. We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Please try again later.

You can access customer services here for further assistance.

Royal Mail | Post Office | Parcelforce Worldwide

Good old Post Office, eh. :yes:

Social source share

IN THE UK

FIRST CLASS

1 X 7" = £1.50

How this is arrived at:

1ST CLASS = 68P

MAILER = 50P

CARDBOARD = 30P

TOTAL £1.48

THIS GETS ROUNDED UP TO £1.50 TO COVER HANDLING, PETROL TO POST OFFICE ETC ETC - that's a profit of 2p

SO 1 X 7" BY 1ST CLASS RECORDED DELIVERY IS £2.18

FOR EACH EXTRA RECORD ADD 16P

2ND CLASS

1 X 7" = £1.30

How this is arrived at:

2ND CLASS = 50P

MAILER, CARDBOARD ETC REMAIN THE SAME SO TOTAL = £1.30

WITH RECORDED DELIVERY = £1.98

THIS GETS ROUNDED UP TO £2.00 TO COVER HANDLING, PETROL TO POST OFFICE ETC ETC - that's a profit of 2p

FOR EACH EXTRA RECORD ADD 10P

FOR MOST OF EUROPE

1 x7" 1st class airmail = £1.21

Packaging etc = 80p

TOTAL = £2.01

FOR EACH EXTRA RECORD ADD 15p

FOR USA, JAPAN, AUSTRALIA

1 x7" 1st class airmail = £1.87

Packaging etc = 80p

TOTAL = £2.67

FOR EACH EXTRA RECORD ADD 30p

LP'S

UK

1 X LP = £2.82

How this is arrived at:

1ST CLASS = £1.90

MAILER = 48p

CARDBOARD = 44p

TOTAL £2.82

SO 1 X LP BY 1ST CLASS RECORDED DELIVERY IS £3.50

FOR EACH EXTRA RECORD ADD 50p

EUROPE

1 X LP = £4.00

(Postage £3.10 plus 92p packaging materials)

REST OF THE WORLD

1 X LP = £6.06

(Postage £5.14 plus 92p packing materials)

Pete - you robbing bastard shades.gif

My 1st is £1.25 recorded a £1.50 with brand new mailers and card

Price Can vary if you use a card envelope mailer or a cardboard box mailer i had this the other day

card envelope 68p

box 75p only one record per box

but since you broke down your box and stuffer prices looks like my last lot of posts went cheap :wicked:

Geeoooordie

Social source share

Pete - you robbing bastard shades.gif

My 1st is £1.25 recorded a £1.50 with brand new mailers and card

Price Can vary if you use a card envelope mailer or a cardboard box mailer i had this the other day

card envelope 68p

box 75p only one record per box

but since you broke down your box and stuffer prices looks like my last lot of posts went cheap :wicked:

Geeoooordie

Geordie - I did this list of prices because I thought I was getting it wrong and to show what it really does cost - I was actually charging £1 normal and £1.40 recorded but after the last lot of mailers and card I bought, well it was 200 x 7" mailers, 200 x 7" card, and 200 x 7" paper sleeves - f*cking £96!!! I wonder if there are any factories who make cardboard who would sell cut card to order because it's really expensive. But so is having to chop up millions of boxes with a stanley knife. Where do you get your stuff from cheaper than covers 33 cos I'll definitely try them. TOP TIP OF THE DAY: if you've got a pound shop near you, they usually sell lightweight jiffy bags 5 for a quid...

Social source share

Geordie - I did this list of prices because I thought I was getting it wrong and to show what it really does cost - I was actually charging £1 normal and £1.40 recorded but after the last lot of mailers and card I bought, well it was 200 x 7" mailers, 200 x 7" card, and 200 x 7" paper sleeves - f*cking £96!!! I wonder if there are any factories who make cardboard who would sell cut card to order because it's really expensive. But so is having to chop up millions of boxes with a stanley knife. Where do you get your stuff from cheaper than covers 33 cos I'll definitely try them. TOP TIP OF THE DAY: if you've got a pound shop near you, they usually sell lightweight jiffy bags 5 for a quid...

wilton of london is cheaper for me(look in yellow pages)

they tell me a price,i say i want it what i paid last time

then they say oh will have to speak to manager

faced with not getting an order,they so ok this time

of done it for last 10 years

think mailers were 72-00 for 500,will have to check

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Listen Guys, you are only overcharged if you didn't know what the P&P charge was to start with, If someone states that their P&P is £5 then it's £5 don't moan about it. If it's stated it's no different than putting a price on anything else. You have a choice to buy or not to buy, if P&P isn't stated don't buy/bid or at least get it up front then there's no arguement. I don't see why anyone has a problem with this a little common sense is all that's needed. I don't come back with but Pete's showing the true cost, that's bollocks the true cost is what ever the seller is asking not what someone else states it should be. It's a commercial world out there and we have to live by the rules that are played. biggrin.gif

Social source share

Listen Guys, you are only overcharged if you didn't know what the P&P charge was to start with, If someone states that their P&P is £5 then it's £5 don't moan about it. If it's stated it's no different than putting a price on anything else. You have a choice to buy or not to buy, if P&P isn't stated don't buy/bid or at least get it up front then there's no arguement. I don't see why anyone has a problem with this a little common sense is all that's needed. I don't come back with but Pete's showing the true cost, that's bollocks the true cost is what ever the seller is asking not what someone else states it should be. It's a commercial world out there and we have to live by the rules that are played. biggrin.gif

This is very logical. If we want to have rules about how much P&P should cost. let's have rules bout how much mark-up there should be on a record. Could I suggest that dealers work on cost plus 5p? Need more than that? Why? It's more than they paid, isn't it?

Social source share

Listen Guys, you are only overcharged if you didn't know what the P&P charge was to start with, If someone states that their P&P is £5 then it's £5 don't moan about it. If it's stated it's no different than putting a price on anything else. You have a choice to buy or not to buy, if P&P isn't stated don't buy/bid or at least get it up front then there's no arguement. I don't see why anyone has a problem with this a little common sense is all that's needed. I don't come back with but Pete's showing the true cost, that's bollocks the true cost is what ever the seller is asking not what someone else states it should be. It's a commercial world out there and we have to live by the rules that are played. whistling.gif

I'm just breaking it down to show exactly what it costs and therefore how much people are ripping other people off, no surprise to see what your response is.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!