Articles: Dunn Pearson & The 9th Street Exit

Roburt

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Sweet City Record label (who released Sly, Slick & Wicked's take on "All I Want Is You") was run by Carl Maduri.

Carl had started out as a singer in the 50's & he had landed his 1st record contract around 1960. He had a number of singles out, one on Cameo doing quite well.

He soon got into the promotion side of things & started working for distributors & record labels (Kapp / Warners, etc.).

He then started cutting tracks in the studio & started his own labels. He usually worked (in the 60's) in Cleveland and had a hand in the Montclairs stuff on Sunburst. He went on to work with the likes of Shirley Vaughn, Don Gregory, Lou Ragland, Laura Greene, Sly, Slick & Wicked plus a lot more.

As with many people in the music biz, he sometimes cut corners & not everyone he worked with was 100% happy (the Warner 45 credited to Lou Ragland was actually recorded by Seven Miles High, the group that Lou was lead singer and head honcho for).

Carl certainly had a long music biz career though.

post-22122-0-08184800-1356296377_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Sweet City Record label (who released Sly, Slick & Wicked's take on "All I Want Is You") was run by Carl Maduri. Carl had started out as a singer in the 50's & he had landed his 1st record contract around 1960. He had a number of singles out, one on Cameo doing quite well. He soon got into the promotion side of things & started working for distributors & record labels (Kapp / Warners, etc.). He then started cutting tracks in the studio & started his own labels. He usually worked (in the 60's) in Cleveland and had a hand in the Montclairs stuff on Sunburst. He went on to work with the likes of Shirley Vaughn, Don Gregory, Lou Ragland, Laura Greene, Sly, Slick & Wicked plus a lot more. As with many people in the music biz, he sometimes cut corners & not everyone he worked with was 100% happy (the Warner 45 credited to Lou Ragland was actually recorded by Seven Miles High, the group that Lou was lead singer and head honcho for). Carl certainly had a long music biz career though.

A great read thanks for the info Roburt.

Regards

tfk

Social source share

Made a slight mistake in my 'All I Want Is You' article ............

Dunn's "Groove On Down" track was released on the Shrylden label, not on Almeria.

Both labels were run by Greg Carmichael and were part of his Red Gregg Records outfit.

This fact (both being Red Gregg sub-labels) was demonstrated when a re-release of both "All I Want Is You" & "Groove on Down" was put out ........... on the Red Gregg label itself.

Greg Carmichael certainly likes "All I Want Is You" as a song as it was he that produced the Convertion take on it and leased the cut to Sam Records.

Dunn's track .............

post-22122-0-93811000-1356312349_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Kegsy has posted up another Sweet City track on the SOUL SOURCE RECORD CLUB DAILY PICK thread (post # 936) ....

it's the fine outing from John Wilson (leader of Sly, Slick & Wicked) -- "Ain't Enough Loving".

A rare little 45 I've always lusted after (as he never fails to remind me).

I think he's put it up on here as he intends to send me the 45 as a Chrissy present.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

A very valued and educational in depth piece. Good reading indeed.

One thought the Sly, Slick and Wicked version was the original and the 4 Flights on Almeria was a later 1978 version.

Wrong I was - Sly Slick & Wicked was 1979 !!

Was the Sly, Slick and Wicked version, ever first issued (on Carl Maduri's) Sweet City label as a promo/stock copies, before the national distribution of the Epic/Sweet City deal. Yes/No.

Or is the Epic/Sweet City output, the one and only known label copy/copies available still today.

Thanks.

:D

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Heers another surprise for you too, this

norman soul has got 3 45's by Dunn & Bruce Street

in his extensive and varied collection.

Kegsy

Can only find 3 myself - Kegsy. The first 2 are still easily available today which are, The Moment Of Truth and the modern soul classic Shout For Joy on Devaki, as mentioned above.

And the 3rd is the J & G Records 45 of Even A Fool - Dunn Street of which all copies seem to have been engineered with poor sound quality.

But hey ho - you got any different to these ?

Social source share

Guest sigher the gutter snype

ive got an issue copy on epic of "all i want is you" but with the instro flip "the prophet" which is a brilliant slab of synth soul disco over the "all i want is you" backing track, anyone know how hard this is to turn up. ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!