News: Marva Whitney - Funk Soul Sister - R.I.P

pikeys dog

Yes, yet another sad loss ..... RIP Marva ............

I bought a UK Polydor LP as a new release back in 1968 ......

.. it's titled 'Soul Seller' and just features James Brown related King stuff.

Marva has two tracks that were included on the album & I've loved her stuff ever since.

Lots of the tracks included on the album are more deep soul than funk styled cuts...

... this one from Marva falls into that bag .. "If You Love Me" ....

Social source share

Sad to hear along with Jimmy two great artists have gone so close to Christmas it must be very sad for their familys . Marva inspired me to listen to funk , a lady with such poke and energy in the material she released i put forward Unwind yourself as my pick of Marva's talent to get you moving

Edited by Anais nin
Social source share

Marva has been working on her autobiography for about 2 years now, in conjunction with a UK book publisher (Bankhouse Books).

They were just incorporating an update on her recent work & adding the last few photos, the book would then have been ready to launch.

Hope it still comes out.

Social source share

Guest wigantojapan

Another sad loss - and a well, well underrated talent

R.I.P Marva.

Here's the thumping Detroit-related flip-side to the incredible track above.

Richard

one of my fav never ever listened to the other side your love was good to me till ow even though i have this classic sund for over 30 years haha thank you marva for the joy you brought to people and will continue to bring through your music

Social source share

Very Sad loss indeed :(

My favourite and IMHO the Queen of funky soul !

Always loved her version of "Ball of fire "

This is also one of my favourites from her. However, it has one minor flaw. It may not be so obvious in this clip, but it is when I play my record. The intro horns are much louder than the rest of the song. Anyways, that does not keep me from playing :wink:

Edited by Preben
Social source share

Also had the pleasure of seeing the great lady perform in Leeds a few years ago an exellent night had by all the place was rammed.....

R.I.P Marva......

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!