In The Pocket

'Our Love Is In The Pocket' by J. J. Barnes - or if you're Darrell Banks 'Our Love (Is in The Pocket)'.

And then there was guy's unissued 'In The Pocket' instrumental thing (how good was that!).

Got me thinking ... what does 'In The Pocket' actually mean?

Well - turns out in music it relates, at least to drumming, to something like:

When a drummer plays a groove that "is very solid and with a great feel...", this is referred to informally as being "in the pocket"; when a drummer "maintains this feel for an extended period of time, never wavering, this is often referred to as a deep pocket.

Well, I know we can all relate to that description :yes:

Then I thought about 'love' as in J.J. and Darrell saying 'Our Love Is In The Pocket' and I found this:

Originally created by Tabi Bonney, a Washington DC area hip hop artist. "Put me in the pocket.. that's when somebody excites you, know what i'm sayin', you see a girl that's tight or somethin'.. she put you in the pocket", Tabi. So when you see somethin' you like, it puts you in the pocket.

Or if a gurl look good she can put u in da pocket meaning she given u her numba

What a load of word w*nk that last lot is! :lol:

Of course "In the pocket" also has a rather derogatory meaning such as (made up example) "The police are in the pocket of the politicians".

Can anyone enlighten me on what the authentic 1960s American meaning of 'In The Pocket' was please?

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Not my definition but something found on google:

"When a drummer plays a groove that "is very solid and with a great feel...", this is referred to informally as being "in the pocket"; when a drummer "maintains this feel for an extended period of time, never wavering, this is often referred to as a deep pocket."[15]

Might be?

Social source share

Or possibly from American football:

"In American football, the pocket refers to the horse-shoe shaped area formed by offensive lineman to protect the quarterback during a passing play. If the lineman do their job, the pocket will protect the QB long enough for him to find an open receiver and throw. If a defensive player penetrates the pocket too quickly, the QB will likely get sacked."

So the quarterback is usually safe whilst "in the pocket"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

just to add another facet,you can put aball in the back of the pocket. so our love is in the pocket could be it is secure,,,,or it means he has only one ball secure and any other balls may still be wandering about, or all balls may be loose except for the one that is er in the pocket ,so to speak.

Social source share

"When a drummer plays a groove that "is very solid and with a great feel...", this is referred to informally as being "in the pocket"; when a drummer "maintains this feel for an extended period of time, never wavering, this is often referred to as a deep pocket."[15]

Might be?

Yea - I said that above with the exact quote! Too much turkey? :lol: :lol:

Social source share

Or possibly from American football:

"In American football, the pocket refers to the horse-shoe shaped area formed by offensive lineman to protect the quarterback during a passing play. If the lineman do their job, the pocket will protect the QB long enough for him to find an open receiver and throw. If a defensive player penetrates the pocket too quickly, the QB will likely get sacked."

So the quarterback is usually safe whilst "in the pocket"

Maybe - like our love is safe? :g:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

just to add another facet,you can put aball in the back of the pocket. so our love is in the pocket could be it is secure,,,,or it means he has only one ball secure and any other balls may still be wandering about, or all balls may be loose except for the one that is er in the pocket ,so to speak.

Too many balls going on there mate :lol: - but I think the 'safe' thing might apply again?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Well, I was a " '60s American". "In The Pocket" meant exactly the same as "In The Groove". It was a music term used by Jazz musicians when everyone was jamming together and they hit a point where they were really working well together. They hit a groove, and remained in it. I guess that George Clinton, Rose Marie McCoy and J.J. Jackson (as well as Darrell Banks and J.J. Barnes meant that the singer's love relationship with their girlfriend had really hit a high point , got into a plateau there (groove) and remained there.

Social source share

Yea - I said that above with the exact quote! Too much turkey? :lol: :lol:

Too much turkey and everything else! :lol:

Knackered from sailing two races yesterday as well. Up at Yorkshire Dales SC today for the annual "Brass Monkey" races, so I'll probably post more rubbish this evening :D

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

You're all wrong. :)

I'm a keen ten pin bowler and when bowling the best place for your ball to hit the pins to give you the biggest chance of a strike is between the front pin (1) and the one behind it (3), all the pins are numbered and this position is known as the 1-3 pocket, hence the term "in the pocket". For left handed bowlers the 1-2 pocket applies.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Did not Jimmy White and Steve Davis do a lot of this throughout there careers ? :facepalm:

It's a term used to loosely describe " keep safe " cherish or look after !

:D

Social source share

Used to be a centre half and if we had the forward in our pocket it meant he never got a kick or sniff of goal.

Yes remember that old school football term well Chalky.I was a striker and a good un as a kid.Once after skinning a giant center half and scoring a cracking goal i said to him on the way back to half way line " you ain't got any pockets in them shorts mate nowt to put me in today".To which his reply was " No you clever Shit but i got big deep ones in my trousers back in the changing rooms and thats were your going after the game :( :(

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Might be?

Or a guitatrist,meaning in the groove,you can whats called sit back in pocket ,ie maintain a high groove,using even one chord say or vamping between two to build up a rythmn pattern then keep it going staying in that groove,definatley a musical term originaly as I know it irom the American context.Used a lot to refer

er to type of guitar play in soul,r nb etc.The other instruments then pick up and join that groove and youre all ending up together in the pocket"Stay there,right in the pocket",.Like any any other or most other terms can be adapted to describe love and emotion between man and woman,ie you got your love hit the the groove with her,,shes the one you want ,youre going to stay there you say to her "our love is in the pocket!".You dont want it to be anywhere else you want it remain right there in thee"Pocket".You dont want it to move anywhere else Because you and her are in that groove together,ie you are 100per cent compatible in all ways..

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Like any other or most other terms can be adapted to describe love and emotion between man and woman,ie you got your love hit the the groove with her,,shes the one you want ,youre going to stay there you say to her "our love is in the pocket!".You dont want it to be anywhere else you want it remain right there in thee"Pocket".You dont want it to move anywhere else Because you and her are in that groove together,ie you are 100per cent compatible in all ways..

Oh!! Manus you little romantic

:wub:

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Like any other or most other terms can be adapted to describe love and emotion between man and woman,ie you got your love hit the the groove with her,,shes the one you want ,youre going to stay there you say to her "our love is in the pocket!".You dont want it to be anywhere else you want it remain right there in thee"Pocket".You dont want it to move anywhere else Because you and her are in that groove together,ie you are 100per cent compatible in all ways..

Oh!! Manus you little romantic

:wub:

Cant help it .I am a believer right down to the toe of me steel toe cap blakyed till you can see no sole soles of my concrete encrusted boots, .seen a little bit of it meself I suppose in the dim and distant but love to see it in the genuine form among freinds and folk I know well,well among anyone if its the true thing.I admit it I am a romantic.For me soul ful lyrics find deep water Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!