Aggrieved: Warrington

Barry

Before I start I must say...

Happy Christmas to the best board I have been a member of ....this is a belter of a family. :wub:

Anyway - I've had a few and I've been a tad quiet of late, so here we go...

As a lad I depended on the blokes that played the music to me, to guide my way to hearing quality sounds.

Yeah....they did a great job,,,I have in my head some of the most wonderful soul productions and I am eternally greatful for that,

But,

And it's a fairly big 'But'....

Since the NS scene has been on the wain, I appear to have had my ears opened to some utterly amazing tracks that I have never heard on the dancefloors I inhabited for a good many years.

Now - do I blame this on the jocks or the dancefloor?

As I've looked back over the years, a deal of these tracks have apparently have been 'tape swappers' faves for years.

So, does this prove that the dancefloor at any given time, as well as giving us some stunning left-field moments in NS history,has in other ways stunted the quality and therefore the growth of quality soul music?

I, of course do understand that jocks in general are forward-looking, they have to be - you have to paint your own picture.

This also brings up another issue - collectors always get bad press about them maybe not making the best jocks - well it seems to me that the collectors have had more of a clue about the 'hidden' tracks over the years than the jocks that I have been in front of,

Don't take this as a slate to all the quality jocks I have danced to, it most certainly is not - I am eternally greatful for the wonderful records that I have been a party to both on the dancefloor and that have been brought to my attention - but I have been niggled for years about the fact that I have heard sooooo many fucking great records over the last ten years that I never heard on NS dancefloors in the 80's and 90's.

ps

I know where I stand on this - I just thought it woud give us summat to talk about :wink:

Edited by Barry
Social source share

Happy Christmas Barry

I think you are correct - in a very simple and pissed up context there has been northern soul and soul. Now I admit to being not well placed to know what has and hasn't been played over the years - due to my dropping out of attending all nighters and things generally. But I do have a view. And I think I know a good un when I hear it.

To make it easier for back sliders like me sen - have you a few to get us started with?

Peter

:thumbsup:

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

You make some excellent points Barry - and I think the whole Stafford thing - Guy and Keb most obviously - makes the point very well too. Taking collectors' records to the dancefloor.

Most of the records I have ever really loved I heard through tape swapping etc. They were never the big (pre-Stafford) records.

But then again maybe I just don't like what the masses like - don't like mainstream dancefloor records, or just what is in fashion? Another chance to use the sheep smiley but in a different way (hey Bob - here's the sheep again!) :lamsey:

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I haven't right now Pete - too much thought required - I started my soul career at Wigan but from '82 onwards, after Rotherham, I followed what was at the time current soul venues, be that independant, jazz-funk, two step etc etc whilst keeping my love and attendance at NS venues....so I think I have a fairly rounded view of it all,,,,but I'm still hearing tracks now, that I never heard then - from all era's - that I know woud have blown me tits off back then...AND I WANT TO KNOW WHO'S FAULT IT IS!!!

:wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

@ Richard>

Hi mate - I think you like what you like, yes - wether I could say I don't like what the mainstream likes, I don't know.

I buy some right obscure shit - some reet deep Southern shit - some left field soul....but have I had a better time on a dancefloor than dancing to The Exciters - 'Blowin' Up My Mind'?

Debateable!?

(And I understand I'd be deabting it with myself :lol: )

Social source share

I haven't right now Pete - too much thought required - I started my soul career at Wigan but from '82 onwards, after Rotherham, I followed what was at the time current soul venues, be that independant, jazz-funk, two step etc etc whilst keeping my love and attendance at NS venues....so I think I have a fairly rounded view of it all,,,,but I'm still hearing tracks now, that I never heard then - from all era's - that I know woud have blown me tits off back then...AND I WANT TO KNOW WHO'S FAULT IT IS!!!

:wink:

LOL :lol:

Yep, some bastrards gonna have to pay mate. :boxing: I know exactly what you mean. We were fed some right shit at times - absolute shit. It's hard to define isn't it - but I like some more down tempo soul that would never have been played back in the day - stuff that if you have a feeling for is much more uptempo than is immmediately obvious. Does that make sense? Stuff that you can feel - and move your head to.

Peter

Social source share

Yep, some bastrards gonna have to pay mate. :boxing: I know exactly what you mean. We were fed some right shit at times - absolute shit. It's hard to define isn't it - but I like some more down tempo soul that would never have been played back in the day - stuff that if you have a feeling for is much more uptempo than is immmediately obvious. Does that make sense? Stuff that you can feel - and move your head to.

Peter

I swear I'm not being argumentative here Pete - I honestly don't feel I'e been fed that much shit over the yeras...and the times I may have been (eg - Arthur - Mingko :wink:) - it's been nothing but a learning curve.

I think that on the whole the floor has dictated the curve of the ball....but sometimes I feel that the jocks have under-estimated the intelligenge of that same floor.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I swear I'm not being argumentative here Pete - I honestly don't feel I'e been fed that much shit over the yeras...and the times I may have been (eg - Arthur - Mingko :wink:) - it's been nothing but a learning curve.

I think that on the whole the floor has dictated the curve of the ball....but sometimes I feel that the jocks have under-estimated the intelligenge of that same floor.

Yeah...that's eaxactly what I'm getting at.

Social source share

Barry, you probably took the same route as me after Wigan, Cassinellis in Standish, Studio In Nantwich, Berlin in Manchester.

I got into Joy Division, then weed, then acid, made loads of mistakes, but you still end up a rounded human being 30 years on with loads to contribute. But we all get back to our basics, which for me is that driving beat, our youth, label it what you want, but the good thing is, that rhythm is always still there to re-discover, you can't have it all, always something new to hear and get into.

Have a good one Barry, (fellow Warringtonian.)

Aid.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Barry, you probably took the same route as me after Wigan, Cassinellis in Standish, Studio In Nantwich, Berlin in Manchester.

I got into Joy Division, then weed, then acid, made loads of mistakes, but you still end up a rounded human being 30 years on with loads to contribute. But we all get back to our basics, which for me is that driving beat, our youth, label it what you want, but the good thing is, that rhythm is always still there to re-discover, you can't have it all, always something new to hear and get into.

Aid.

You too Hilda :wink:

Social source share

You can be argumentative Barry - just need to be clear about what we're arguing about. :) If anything.

I just like good soul music - where ever it comes from, and by whom really. Old stuff, new stuff, retro stuff - if I can feel it it's good. Another example - bit old now, is the Chocolate Factory album. Is there a bad track on there - wonderful soul music, which I'm pleased to have bought and bought into at the time. Maybe a bad example for a more up to date geezer like yer sen.

P

Social source share

Probably because that's how the Brothers of Soul 'I'd Be Greatful' is mis-spelled on the organ e styrene version - or something like that - I'm gonna have to check that now :excl:

Cheers

Richard

Don't tell me Rich....on last nights Channel 4 Top 30 Comedy's....you put the I.T. Crowd over Father Ted? :wink:

Social source share

You can be argumentative Barry - just need to be clear about what we're arguing about. :) If anything.

I just like good soul music - where ever it comes from, and by whom really. Old stuff, new stuff, retro stuff - if I can feel it it's good. Another example - bit old now, is the Chocolate Factory album. Is there a bad track on there - wonderful soul music, which I'm pleased to have bought and bought into at the time. Maybe a bad example for a more up to date geezer like yer sen.

P

Peter - firstly, you're a top bloke...but I'm not up to date....I'm just soulfully eternal.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

No mate - would never do that - but how sad is this ...

I need to get a life :lol:

Now, Rich - this is another thing that I find odd - people kind of knocking themselves for liking 'whatever it may be' - it's neither good nor bad, it don't make you look neither either - it will simply appeal, or not, to the relevant peope that it will appeal to.

Love what you love, bring it up when relevant (which you have done) and stand behind it like a bastard when you need to.

Amen

Social source share

The DJ's only playing for himself..

Play something we know...

I didn't spend £2.50 to listen to this shite...

is possibly a start..

Horses for courses ay mate?

And with out wanking meself off, and prob a lot to do with the period I djed to (from) - I've always, but always played a perfect set as to both invigorate and move the music and the floor forward.

I was going to put a wink there but I think I'd be doing myself a dis-service.

Social source share

Peter

It makes me smile when I read quite often how we were "fed some right shit" back in the day, but surely somebody must have been dancing/ listening/showing some sort of appreciation of said shit or it wouldn't have lasted more than a spin or two at the most. Or can the blame be laid at the feet of "the divs" who invaded "the scene" when the genie escaped out of the bottle?
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Okey i'm probably going to open up a large can of worms here but do i care No. In my opinion there are too many different catergories, Northern soul, oldies, Modern, Cross-over & Motown to name but a few, and not enough clubs playing across the board SOUL. People need to hear the tracks that they are not so familiar with instead of going to nites that play all the same stuff month in month out, common get out of your comfort zone for a change.

Social source share

It makes me smile when I read quite often how we were "fed some right shit" back in the day, but surely somebody must have been dancing/ listening/showing some sort of appreciation of said shit or it wouldn't have lasted more than a spin or two at the most. Or can the blame be laid at the feet of "the divs" who invaded "the scene" when the genie escaped out of the bottle?

Of course people were dancing to plenty of shit - encouraged in the main by decent gear. Not everyone though eh, and too easy and to blame "the divs" .

Social source share

Before I start I must say...

Happy Christmas to the best board I have been a member of ....this is a belter of a family. :wub:

Anyway - I've had a few and I've been a tad quiet of late, so here we go...

As a lad I depended on the blokes that played the music to me, to guide my way to hearing quality sounds.

Yeah....they did a great job,,,I have in my head some of the most wonderful soul productions and I am eternally greatful for that,

But,

And it's a fairly big 'But'....

Since the NS scene has been on the wain, I appear to have had my ears opened to some utterly amazing tracks that I have never heard on the dancefloors I inhabited for a good many years.

Now - do I blame this on the jocks or the dancefloor?

As I've looked back over the years, a deal of these tracks have apparently have been 'tape swappers' faves for years.

So, does this prove that the dancefloor at any given time, as well as giving us some stunning left-field moments in NS history,has in other ways stunted the quality and therefore the growth of quality soul music?

I, of course do understand that jocks in general are forward-looking, they have to be - you have to paint your own picture.

This also brings up another issue - collectors always get bad press about them maybe not making the best jocks - well it seems to me that the collectors have had more of a clue about the 'hidden' tracks over the years than the jocks that I have been in front of,

Don't take this as a slate to all the quality jocks I have danced to, it most certainly is not - I am eternally greatful for the wonderful records that I have been a party to both on the dancefloor and that have been brought to my attention - but I have been niggled for years about the fact that I have heard sooooo many fucking great records over the last ten years that I never heard on NS dancefloors in the 80's and 90's.

ps

I know where I stand on this - I just thought it woud give us summat to talk about :wink:

HI BARRY,

YOU'VE ONLY HAD A FEW MATE? :lol: :lol: :lol: I PROPOSE A RECOUNT!!!!

Seriously though a great post. This should get people talking. I really dont think you can blame any one section of people be it the dj's or the dancefloor.

It is clear that the main reason for the lack of quality soul being introduced to your ears in your early formative years of what is regarded as the northern soul scene, was the trait and sheer demand for uptempo stomping DANCE music. This was driven by the floor,the dj's and collectors alike. So bandage your wrists and don the boxing gloves as you have plenty of people to take to task for starving you of the quality soul that you so desire :g: :g: .

Happy new year pal and keep posting

regards ROY

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Aid.

Cassinellis now there was many a ground breaking funky tune played then ( we are talking about friday night`s ? ) In the days I could remember a tune /artist /label without writing it down lol , the studio at Nantwich ,79 -80 ish I think I frequented ??? not as ground breaking as "nellis " but many a fine night spent on the floor ........dancin !

Friday nights at Cassanellis was free entry ,if you came in fancy dress , again you might have to correct me as my memories shite ! oldtimers disease !

WiganBrian .

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

The DJ's only playing for himself..

Play something we know...

I didn't spend £2.50 to listen to this shite...

is possibly a start..

'Play to the floor' is another one. Shit scared DJs 'playing to the floor' have killed the wider northern scene.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Stuff like this

and this

these two tunes are not for playing out.........surely that is obvious....you may love em,they mat be great.......but not for playing out.....and if people try to as from time to time they do....the result is not good..........they're to be enjoyed at home with other stuff of the same ilk

Social source share

too many oldies only events playing the same stuff

trouble is that there the venues people are going because there the fullest

maybe people should go an oldies event one week and a across the board event the next

one for dancing / one for dancing and listening

lots of across the board doo,s fold because people dont give tunes they dont know a try

just because floor isnt rammed doesnt mean the set d js play are crap

lots feel under pressure by promotors and take the oldies only route

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest welshruss

Barry how are you mate - well i hope,and all the best for the New Year.......(see you at the Grange again,same time same place next year)

I,ve always enjoyed your posts,they make me laugh,they are very debateable,and thought provoking.That said..

I did Massey,s BacktoBlack night Boxing day and played some very obscure album tracks (coz thats my thing)....and the floor was full - rammed, i kid you not (ask him)..Now my point is - i see nothing wrong with unknown stuff being played,but,if your DJing with it,its got to have that beat.or at least make someone tap there toes !

So keep on digging mate - keep on playing them out - just have fun,sod what people say.Do it.

It doesnt matter one shite who,s to blame...just have fun and enjoy it.

Keep the posts coming mate - Happy New Year.

Social source share

One answer... Speed was better in those days.. It's not the same on Coke or E's.. Totally different buzz. And those that just drink or do fck all totally different again.

Social source share

these two tunes are not for playing out.........surely that is obvious....you may love em,they mat be great.......but not for playing out.....and if people try to as from time to time they do....the result is not good..........they're to be enjoyed at home with other stuff of the same ilk

Says who? It's all about opinion isn't it.

Peter

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

It's all about opinion though isn't it.

You're right mate. Opinions, different places, different faces and different tastes in soul music.

Nowadays I wouldn't bother going out to places that weren't prepared to play tracks like the George Jackson & Jerry Butler you posted up.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Says who? It's all about opinion isn't it.

Peter

Because this type of record played at a dance venue is the kiss of death....take it from someone who attends dance venues........as apposed to sitting at home.....it ain,t right.......if you think it is you must be out of touch....better still start a night up playing this stuff all night see how far you get.......like em both myself

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Because this type of record played at a dance venue is the kiss of death....take it from someone who attends dance venues........as apposed to sitting at home.....it ain,t right.......if you think it is you must be out of touch....better still start a night up playing this stuff all night see how far you get.......like em both myself

But there are nights playing this kinda stuff all night. Successfully too with a rammed dancefloor most of the night. They're not Northern, Modern, or whatever nights .... simply soul nights with no tags

Stuff like ...

Freddie Hughes - I Just Found Out

Gladys Knight - It Takes A Whole Lotta Man

Darrow Fletcher - What We Gonna Do About This Mess

Bobby Moore - Can't Get Away

Lee Fields - You're The Kind Of Girl

Bettye Swann - Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye

Ann Sexton - I'm His Wife

Bobby Powell - Childhood Days

Darrow Fletcher - Secret Weapon

Doris Duke - Feet Start Walkin'

Dramatics - And I Panicked

Bobby Womack - I Don't Wanna Be Hurt

Whispers - You Can't Fight What's Right

Willie Hutch - A Love That's Worth Having

JJ Barnes - Wishful Thinking

Candi Staton - One More Hurt

September Jones - You Better Know Why

Annette Snell - You Oughta Be Here With Me

George Jackson - Victim Of A Foolish Heart

LJ Reynolds - Stop Look Over Your Past

Ann Bogus - Don't Ask Me To Love Again

Tina Bryant - Fresh Out Of Love

Curtis Mayfield - No Thing On Me

Shirley Brown - I Can't Give You Up

Paul Kelly - You Make Me Tremble

Sam Dees - Funny

Jefree - All My Loving

Ted Taylor - Farewell

Lee Reynolds - Love Comes From Above

Bobby Womack - Runaway

Inell Young - I've Never Considered

Jackie Moore - The Bridge That Lies Between Us

Bettye Swann - Time To Say Goodbye

Lamont Dozier - Can't Get Off

Impressions - Potent Love

Bobby Bland - I Wouldn't Treat A Dog
Social source share

But there are nights playing this kinda stuff all night. Successfully too with a rammed dancefloor most of the night. They're not Northern, Modern, or whatever nights .... simply soul nights with no tags

Stuff like ...

Freddie Hughes - I Just Found Out

Gladys Knight - It Takes A Whole Lotta Man

Darrow Fletcher - What We Gonna Do About This Mess

Bobby Moore - Can't Get Away

Lee Fields - You're The Kind Of Girl

Bettye Swann - Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye

Ann Sexton - I'm His Wife

Bobby Powell - Childhood Days

Darrow Fletcher - Secret Weapon

Doris Duke - Feet Start Walkin'

Dramatics - And I Panicked

Bobby Womack - I Don't Wanna Be Hurt

Whispers - You Can't Fight What's Right

Willie Hutch - A Love That's Worth Having

JJ Barnes - Wishful Thinking

Candi Staton - One More Hurt

September Jones - You Better Know Why

Annette Snell - You Oughta Be Here With Me

George Jackson - Victim Of A Foolish Heart

LJ Reynolds - Stop Look Over Your Past

Ann Bogus - Don't Ask Me To Love Again

Tina Bryant - Fresh Out Of Love

Curtis Mayfield - No Thing On Me

Shirley Brown - I Can't Give You Up

Paul Kelly - You Make Me Tremble

Sam Dees - Funny

Jefree - All My Loving

Ted Taylor - Farewell

Lee Reynolds - Love Comes From Above

Bobby Womack - Runaway

Inell Young - I've Never Considered

Jackie Moore - The Bridge That Lies Between Us

Bettye Swann - Time To Say Goodbye

Lamont Dozier - Can't Get Off

Impressions - Potent Love

Bobby Bland - I Wouldn't Treat A Dog

Dave - where is this place of which you speak? Mike

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Dave - where is this place of which you speak? Mike

It's a secret Mike ... just cadge a lift with those other North East lads but you'll have to sit in the back with a blindfold on, and they might go round the odd roundabout a few times so take yer dizzy pills with ya :D

Social source share

(from memory via Kev Edwards' club in Warrington Barry?).

Spoke to Kev yesterday.... that lad played to more people and did more for soul in his time than a great deal of people that got more press....I'll not get into it now and Kev had/has his Demons but credit where credit is due - and very few people, you aside Ian - give Kev his due and for that I thank you. x

Social source share

So it's difficult to apportion 'blame' for wondering why you never heard certain killers at specific times. It all depended on the scene you were on really

If I was a run of the mill lad Ian, I could understand what you're getting at....but I'm not,,,,I spent my life following it all, be it Kev's do's, Richard's Half Way House, Nighters, new release soul, modern, Northern etc etc.....given, I've been at a party tonight and I'm pissed and I'm trying my best not to raise the ire of the board by wanking myself off....but this is what I did, I tried my best on my meagre wage and my sharp mind to keep abreast of it all - as it ALL is what it's about - not just microcosms of the black spectrum....and thinking back to my initial question, this is not reallly I suppose a question for anyone else to reply to....therefore it is a personal statement I suppose.

There's no blame mate and I apologise if my light hearted query from the other night was asking for one to be apportioned....it is just me hurting from the fact that I have had to wait til my twilight years to hear some monstrous records....

....I just love it. x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!