Articles: Goodbye To Whitworth Street Twisted Wheel 2012

Spot on Carmen and Spike...but to be honest i think we've always carried the Wheel with us no matter where we have been...like they say..... it's not just a soul club it's a way of life....looking forward to NQ live for the next re-incarnation

Dave Hill

Edited by daveyboy66
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest mvb031259

What a fantastic afternoon as always with the Wheel....... I can honestly say I have never witnessed so much happiness and so many people in their 5T's and 6T's enjoying themselves so much anywhere never mind any other Soul Gig. A sad day also to loose Whitworth St. but we move on to the new venue, same people, same music, same enjoyment I say.....

Social source share

I was there and would echo all comments apart from the Wheel 3 statement, let's be clear the Twisted Wheel closed in 1965 at It's Brasenose St address, everything else has been a bootleg.

Don't get me wrong the music has been the best ever but it was never the Wheel.

Happy new year.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I was there and would echo all comments apart from the Wheel 3 statement, let's be clear the Twisted Wheel closed in 1965 at It's Brasenose St address, everything else has been a bootleg.

Don't get me wrong the music has been the best ever but it was never the Wheel.

Happy new year.

The Twisted Wheel moved from Brazenose Street because it needed a larger venue by the same owners so it wasn't a bootleg.

I agree anything after 71 Whitworth Street is a bootleg and calling the new NQ club the Wheel is most defintely one.

In fact we might finish up with hundreds of Twisted Wheels by that rate,but if people enjoy it who gives a sh*t

Social source share

well put and worded mr roberts and thank you for giving so many people pleasure, unending friendships and giving us that were not old enough an insight in to how the wheel must have been in the 60s...................we will be at nq live and the wheels unique music, friendships and style will live on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it will not die, we will not let it.......

Social source share

over the past 12 years the rebirth of the wheel on whitworth street as created a unique style of friendships and as given many of us joy and pleasure to meet and dance at the old building, no matter how negative some of you may be , you will never ever take that away from us,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we will not let you, and our friendships, music and unique styles will move on to the nq live in tib street manchester and people in time will be making tib street manchester the no 1 place that they want to be heading to..................we will not go away...............................

Social source share

Only been to the 'resurrected' Wheel a couple of times, both being in the last 2 years ..... back in the day (68 - 71) it was every week at 1st and then as & when I could fit it in around the girlfriend / wife's requirements.

Have to say, I enjoyed myself almost as much on the final two visits as I did back in the day.

The 'new' Wheel was true to the ethos of the old club .... as I am sure will be the relocated club.

Don't know if I'll make it along to the new place (live too far away really & I am now approaching my 64th b'day) but really glad I made the effort in 2011 and last year.

Social source share

I was replying to a quote from ULYSSES regarding bootlegs.

I agree you coudn't call it anything elese when you re-opened it in 2000 the same as it was called when they run nights there before in the 80s when the club was called Rockys.I don't think the same about NQ live though that's all.

Bootleg was the wrong word..reproduction may have suited better...1963 Brazennose Street was known as The Original Wheel and !965 -71 was known as The new Wheel then just The Wheel by the original crowd.

They were both original Wheels being from the same eras.

I have been going occasionally over the last 10 years and have nothing against the revival and agree with OLDODDMOD post.

I will be going occasionally to NQ live aswell and hope to enjoy that too after all when you're 60 plus options are limited.

Social source share

post-12831-0-98733700-1357810749_thumb.j

In the mid 90s I spoke to a woman who went to the Left Wing Coffee bar when she was at Manchester Art School in All Saints in the late 50s, she said that when the Abadi's turned it into a "beat music bar" she and most of the regulars never went there again. In turn people who went to the first Wheel never went to the Whitworth Street club for similar reasons - you know, it was not the original, a new younger set were going there etc. When 1970 arrived, the majority of folk going then were not those who attended in 1965. What I'm getting at is about evolution and how special moments are fleeting and in my view captured perfectly in a scene in `Quadrophenia` when Jimmy Cooper (Phil Daniels) returns to Brighton the day after that fabulous Bank Holiday only to find the amazing world of 24 hrs previous was totally gone, as if a dream. However, if you never experienced something first time round, what the hell, get in there and enjoy every second because that too will disappear very quickly.

This flier shows that promoters were at it long before Pete was.

If anyone is interested I can upload a couple of photos showing the Black Cat cafe which was next to the Club until about 1993. Also, the back on the Club, Shooters Brook.

Edited by Keith Rylatt
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Yes please :)

I found a great site called and the beat goes on which many from Brazenose street days have commented in . What intrigues me was that the music appeared to be vastly different to Whitworth street > I wonder if that caused any fallings out because to my ear the music policy had split / changed with the move ... or was it like that at Whitworth street and then evolved into the more staxy Atlantic type sounds?

I have it from good authority Brazenose street leaned to more blue beats /Rythem and Blues

Social source share

In the early 60's most UK clubs were blues (or for different crowds; jazz & folk) clubs.

Mod (soul) clubs kicked off in London & the south initially followed by the rest of the country.

So, the Brazenose St / Whitworth St musical change was far from unique.

The Mojo in Sheffield replaced a blues club that was the place to go in 62/63-ish.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

post-12831-0-12638200-1357829354_thumb.jpost-12831-0-57595900-1357829375_thumb.j

This is the back door where the all nigher crowd were sent out through, the stairs down led under the stage from the stage room. Gear would be secreted in matchboxes etc in cracks in the brickwork.

The longer shot is from Minshull Street car park where lots of pre all nigher dealing would take place, the M/c drug squad would often lurk around here.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

post-12831-0-60822700-1357829681_thumb.jpost-12831-0-55639200-1357829695_thumb.j

The longer shot is from along Whitworth St showing the Black Cat cafe, which despite it's proximity and cool name didn't really figure in the scene. The Dolphin around the corner, up towards Piccadilly was probably the nearest Coffee Bar for Club goers.

This is me outside of the Club in the early 90s. I went with Phil Scott in the hope of finding some of the old wheels that were reported to be still stashed in an upstairs room. It turned out that the Abadi's had removed them. I must say that going back in there after twenty years was a bit weird; it all seemed much smaller that I recalled but more nauseating was ( bearing in mind it was 9am Saturday and there had been an all-night Disco in there), the soles of my shoes sticking to the sp*unk that was everywhere on the floor and alcove benches that were screened off with see through gauze.

In the main central arch where it says Follies, there used to be a long orange perspex sign, with wrought iron wheels and back-lit. The week after it closed I walked past and noticed it had been taken out and replaced in reverse. It didn't last two minutes as you might imagine - don't know if it was nicked or the Abadi's took it. To my knowledge I've never seen evidence of it since.

Edited by Keith Rylatt
Social source share

post-12831-0-78987200-1357831057_thumb.jpost-12831-0-00788300-1357831078_thumb.jpost-12831-0-98583200-1357831092_thumb.j

The Wheel advertised in national music papers, local papers, on fliers in M/c record shops and these small cards that were in the Club's coffee bar possibly every two - three months. Some members received mail shots but these were unusual, I think that the Abadi's knew it was ineffective as so many addresses were fictitious.

post-12831-0-66183700-1357831115_thumb.j

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest mvb031259

post-12831-0-98733700-1357810749_thumb.j

In the mid 90s I spoke to a woman who went to the Left Wing Coffee bar when she was at Manchester Art School in All Saints in the late 50s, she said that when the Abadi's turned it into a "beat music bar" she and most of the regulars never went there again. In turn people who went to the first Wheel never went to the Whitworth Street club for similar reasons - you know, it was not the original, a new younger set were going there etc. When 1970 arrived, the majority of folk going then were not those who attended in 1965. What I'm getting at is about evolution and how special moments are fleeting and in my view captured perfectly in a scene in `Quadrophenia` when Jimmy Cooper (Phil Daniels) returns to Brighton the day after that fabulous Bank Holiday only to find the amazing world of 24 hrs previous was totally gone, as if a dream. However, if you never experienced something first time round, what the hell, get in there and enjoy every second because that too will disappear very quickly.

This flier shows that promoters were at it long before Pete was.

If anyone is interested I can upload a couple of photos showing the Black Cat cafe which was next to the Club until about 1993. Also, the back on the Club, Shooters Brook.

Yes there were people "at it" before Pete Roberts as you put it Keith, however I think Pete Roberts and his crew have earned that name simply by the dedication they have gave the Twisted Wheel over the past twelve and a half years.

Pete was the one who re-opened the Wheel in it's original very special venue, Pete was the one who nurtured it through it's early days bearing the losses in those times but never faltering from his goal to as best as he could to re create that magnificent iconic 6T's club where it all began. Pete was the one who has took all the agro, bending over backwards to keep in with consecutive lease holders to keep the Wheel in it's original venue at Whitworth St, and take it from me he has tolerated so much garbage over those years, anyone else would have walked a long time ago.

The truth of the matter is that if anyone deserves that name it is Pete Roberts, he also deserves the respect off so called avid soul fans on here and everywhere on the soul scene for what he has done to keep the Wheel as true as possible to its roots, but the majority of the time sadly, he gets nothing but heart ache off a loud minority who want to share the success of the club yet have done nothing towards that success only inflate their own egos and give Pete grief.

If Pete didn't take the name, then some big time Walter mitty off the Wheel forum or TWRF4 or the likes, would jump on the success created by Pete, steel the name and ruin the atmosphere and life long friendships he has enabled us punters to enjoy.

So anyone on here, or anywhere else for that matter can tell me anyone who is more deserving to take that name and carry on the traditions of the Twisted Wheel more than Pete and i'll hold my hat up and salute them, however there is no one out there......

I would also like to thank you Keith for your efforts to allow the generation who were too young to attend to share in those early memories of the Twisted Wheel, one of the best reads I have ever enjoyed Central 1179.......

Social source share

From left to right - 1) Black Bombers (Durophet). 2) Eyes, Minstrels, Dominoes, Black & Whites (Durophet. 3) Snowies, Whites (Durophet). 4) Green 'n Browns (Durophet). 5) Red n' Browns (Durophet). 6) Dexies * rare in capsule form (Dexytal). 7) Green 'n Clears (Drinamyl). 8) Bluies (Drinamyl). 9) Purple Hearts (Drinamyl). 10) Dexies, Black n' Clears (Drinamyl). 11) Daps (Daprisal). 12) Dexies (Dexten). 13) Dexies (Dexadrine).

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes there were people "at it" before Pete Roberts as you put it Keith, however I think Pete Roberts and his crew have earned that name simply by the dedication they have gave the Twisted Wheel over the past twelve and a half years.

Pete was the one who re-opened the Wheel in it's original very special venue, Pete was the one who nurtured it through it's early days bearing the losses in those times but never faltering from his goal to as best as he could to re create that magnificent iconic 6T's club where it all began. Pete was the one who has took all the agro, bending over backwards to keep in with consecutive lease holders to keep the Wheel in it's original venue at Whitworth St, and take it from me he has tolerated so much garbage over those years, anyone else would have walked a long time ago.

The truth of the matter is that if anyone deserves that name it is Pete Roberts, he also deserves the respect off so called avid soul fans on here and everywhere on the soul scene for what he has done to keep the Wheel as true as possible to its roots, but the majority of the time sadly, he gets nothing but heart ache off a loud minority who want to share the success of the club yet have done nothing towards that success only inflate their own egos and give Pete grief.

If Pete didn't take the name, then some big time Walter mitty off the Wheel forum or TWRF4 or the likes, would jump on the success created by Pete, steel the name and ruin the atmosphere and life long friendships he has enabled us punters to enjoy.

So anyone on here, or anywhere else for that matter can tell me anyone who is more deserving to take that name and carry on the traditions of the Twisted Wheel more than Pete and i'll hold my hat up and salute them, however there is no one out there......

I would also like to thank you Keith for your efforts to allow the generation who were too young to attend to share in those early memories of the Twisted Wheel, one of the best reads I have ever enjoyed Central 1179.......

My expression `at it` was not meant in anyway what so ever to denigrate Pete who kindly invited me to DJ on his opening night and also Phil and I to launch our book there. Pete has done a great service indeed to the current oldies scene and to keep that aspect of Soul and Manchester culture available. Must mention my first meeting with him however when he rode his Lambretta into the reception area of Jazz FM's posh building. He's a naughty boy.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

The last 12 years have been brilliant and I miss the place already, so many good times to remember that can never be taken away.

I think there may be some confusion regarding my "bootleg" comment, the club I am referring to is the original 1965 Whitworth St venue, surely once a place changes address it ceases to be. Not only was the address changed the music policy evolved as well so much in fact that many Brasenose St regulars gave it a try and said not a patch on the original and gave it a miss.

So are we witnessing the birth if Wheel 3? Why not? If it was O. K. In 65 then it works for me in 2013, hey the music is everything right so let's raise a glass to the new club, well done Pete and thanks for giving me and countless others some of the best times of my life.

Social source share

Can I thank you all for your comments, and for giving me the Best job in the World!!! And can I thank John and all the Dj's who have worked a long side me for the last 12 and a half years!!!

A BIG THANK YOU!!! To the tens of 1000's of people I have had the pleasure of meeting over the years at the Twisted Wheel Club!.. Yes sadly 6 Whitworth Street as gone!!!

But Music and the great friendships that have been made at the Wheel will live on!! And I know you will still be joining us at THE TWISTED WHEEL CLUB at our New Address on Tib Street in the Northern Quarter, Manchester City Centre.

Our Opening Day is this Sunday 13th of January with one of our Legendery "Sunday Afternoon Soul Sessions" hope to see you all there.

It's Truly been an Honour.

Soulfully Yours.

Pete Roberts.

Social source share

pete roberts you are a true star and have provided hundreds if not thousands of us a truely remarkable and joyous 12 years of pleasure friendships and a way of life.........long may it continue..........................i for one will spread the word and will keep coming back for more.......................

Social source share

post-12831-0-12638200-1357829354_thumb.jpost-12831-0-57595900-1357829375_thumb.j

This is the back door where the all nigher crowd were sent out through, the stairs down led under the stage from the stage room. Gear would be secreted in matchboxes etc in cracks in the brickwork.

The longer shot is from Minshull Street car park where lots of pre all nigher dealing would take place, the M/c drug squad would often lurk around here.

The old guard from round our way used to tell tales about buying a castella tube full of blueys for ten bob at the wheel and then necking their gear in full view of the squad 'cos they couldn't do you for internal possession back in the day.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest turnip22

Remember it well

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest manusf3a

attachicon.gifscan0012.jpg

This was issued to most cops in the West Riding Police, I knew a lad who worked in their print shop and so we used to use them to ID the gear.

The colours dont show well on my page the heart and the bluey  look cream coloured, someone mentioned a black and clear? thats a new on me!Wonder why the brown and clear isnt on there,they were pretty common  both sizes dex spansules ,Ivan "Bomber",certainly used to consume them in great quantity on a regular basis! I also wondered why preludin werent on the chart,the pre filon filon phenmetrazine pill was very popular.There again a comprehensive list would be much larger covering stuff like tabloid methedrine 5mg pills,Benzidrine tabs,the very weak and crap amphetamine sulphate 5mg tabs,as well as the good stuff just metioned the not so good like the 2mg amphetamine with some barb in it blue stamped with an skf tab so many would mistake for script blues( not hard to see why ,blue tab skf stamp on it,Edrisal!Also for those who get a bit thirsty what about a slug or two(in modern day drinking terms ,shot or two)from a nice big bottle of Stimplete to wash yer pills and caps downs.May be wrong but didnt the two tone pink contain both dextro and laevo amphetamine salts (each type acts differently when having a light shone through its crystals,it polarise to the left in one sort and the right in the other(the dextro,dex for right,right!)what difference this makes dont ask me but enchanted rythmn on here may well know.

There was of course the creme de la creme of caps,the two tone green,the holy grail of blockers and dda robbers alike,I myself was never fortunate enough to come across them but always hoped that the next one(dda)would be the one that they were sitting there as old stock in,alas not to be.I believe Steve Smith on here was fortunate enough some years back in time to come across a bottle of them in an old abandoned medicine cabinet,so could there out there somewhere in an elderly relatives drawer long forgotten gathering dust be one more of these elusive little darlings  just waiting to be found in the "On the look  out for!!!", blockers version of "Digging",there will of course be many adept at both digging and looking for some" ,the skill is of course transferable ,techniques from  one can and have been applied to the other(in the past?)

The picture reminds me of a book a mate from Wellingborough used to have mid later seventies,it was an f.b.i magazine like production and in it were pictured all the American amphetamines and synthetics such as phenmetrazine(they never called it filon thought he pill was very similar in appearence),the only difference between all of our caps,bombers,green and clears,brown and etc was not in the colours ,they stayed the same ,it was in shape,their caps all had pointed ends of the type you would call in archery bullet heads!"

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!