Top Tips For 2013

Guest Matt Male

Tommy & the Derbys - Going Back to Houston. Nev put this in my radar, I knew about this but had never clocked it properly, Nev has excellent taste & this a deffo winner - hope I havnt stepped on his toes with this, but needs to be heard n played.

My three...

Best Russ

Good call on Tommy and the Derby's. I remember a big fuss on Facebook about it at the start of last year but I think Steve Green is one of the few people who has managed to get hold of one. I think it needs a few more people to own a copy before it can get regular plays and break through. Great record though. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Maybe an oldie in Uk , I don't know , but this is my choice to this year:

Adam Topping got one off Andy Dyson last New Years Eve and has been playing it out. It's not a newie, just underplayed. There are so many records like this though that only one or two DJs plug but they never take off big style or get regular main room plays.

I like it. :thumbsup:

Interesting thread because if you frequent small second rooms and funk/soul venues then i'd have said records like Willie Dale have pretty much had their day in the sun (as brilliant as they are) but they still haven't (or are only just) broken through in main rooms to become massive sounds.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Good call on Tommy and the Derby's. I remember a big fuss on Facebook about it at the start of last year but I think Steve Green is one of the few people who has managed to get hold of one. I think it needs a few more people to own a copy before it can get regular plays and break through. Great record though. :thumbsup:

yep, good tune. Been known about for some years already though actually. Sort of a collectors tune and I agree, to break thru it needs more copies or in fact copies in the hands of one or two of them so -called top DJ`s. Same with United Sounds although it has been featured in Butch sets druing the last couple of years as a C/UP...think it was Greg Belson who uncovered it (in front of a bigger audience) at last years 22nd Anniversary of the Hip City Soul Club when he deejayed on the friday night. someone must have been very very keen as the next copy appearing on ebay went for almost 3 grand then..in really bad condition LOL !

Social source share

Here's one i'd like to hear out. Not sure if anyone is playing it. Gary Batchford has one and plays it.

I have a male version of this on same label that s also very nice, will dig it out in 10 minutes.. Always thought it was relatively unknown after the few obligatory 80's plays.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

yep, good tune. Been known about for some years already though actually. Sort of a collectors tune and I agree, to break thru it needs more copies or in fact copies in the hands of one or two of them so -called top DJ`s. Same with United Sounds although it has been featured in Butch sets druing the last couple of years as a C/UP...think it was Greg Belson who uncovered it (in front of a bigger audience) at last years 22nd Anniversary of the Hip City Soul Club when he deejayed on the friday night. someone must have been very very keen as the next copy appearing on ebay went for almost 3 grand then..in really bad condition LOL !

I thought this had been uncovered before then as Jason Perlmutter had included it on a podcast? Or was that the flip?

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

I think the Mary Wells is LP only (on the My Guy LP). Did it get a single release in any country?

Hi Boba,

Yes, Mary Wells is the original and it's an L.P only track......If I'd heard the Mary Wells first, I'd be shouting about the Patti Drew! :lol: - You know how it is.

Both are great.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I thought this had been uncovered before then as Jason Perlmutter had included it on a podcast? Or was that the flip?

Yes already uncovered because it was on Youtube in February 2011, label and everything.

Social source share

The Jason Perlmutter's radio show where he played it uncovered was from February of 2011.

I didn't know that Butch played it before Jason , interesting :g:

Social source share

Here's another that should have gone absolutely massive by now, I had it covered up for a while (For a bit of fun!) I suppose ‘September Jones - I'm Coming Home' took 'Centre Stage' over it, but this is so powerful :yes:

'BILLY SHA-RAE - DO IT'

All the best,

https://www.youtube....h?v=SCtFOiTrH6Y

I bought this a couple of days ago - ebay link below.

It's also on a different label, Hour Glass. Do you know if the Spectrum 114 release is the first one? Hope I've not bought the wrong one!

Do It is a fine flip written by J Ashford & L Chandler (say no more) which reminds me of Stanley Mitchell - Get It Baby but at a fraction of the price!

https://www.ebay.co.u...9#ht_332wt_1156

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

It's also on a different label, Hour Glass. Do you know if the Spectrum 114 release is the first one? Hope I've not bought the wrong one!

Do It is a fine flip written by J Ashford & L Chandler (say no more) which reminds me of Stanley Mitchell - Get It Baby but at a fraction of the price!

I believe this is the Original ???

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160946907653?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Doh :facepalm:

Ah, but at least you get the great "Crying Clown" on the flip :D

There again, you miss out on the excellent Hour Glass flip "I Found The One" :(

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

The Jason Perlmutter's radio show where he played it uncovered was from February of 2011.

I didn't know that Butch played it before Jason , interesting :g:

not saying he did, did I ? I simply didnt knew jason was playing it at all. But it does make sense THAT he played it. If you get my drift..

Social source share

dunno Joel, to be honest I never listened to any Perlmutter show...although I knew and know they are fantastic and that I missed out. Still, I simply never got around to listen to them.

Social source share

Yes already uncovered because it was on Youtube in February 2011, label and everything.

Hi Matt, interesting, didnt know it was on youtube for so long. Still, if it didnt say in the youtube vid "hey, I am the so and so C/UP" its not really uncovered, is it ? And even if it did it would only have had it uncovered to the people who knew it anyway as other wise they would have had found it on youtube in the fisrt place (as they have to type in United Sounds and not the C/UP name in order to find the link)...Ah, all so confusing.. ;)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You haven't bought the 'wrong one' - They are both originals! :yes:

It also came out on the British Action label.

It's amazing that this record hasn't been massive, then died down, got massive again etc over the years, like for example 'The Exits - You've Got To Have Money' isn't it?

All the best,

Social source share

Is 're-activating' records ok on this thread? - I haven't heard this 'out' for years. This was also out on two labels - First release was on Baby Luv, second release on Era, still both originals, the Baby Luv one being the rarest.

'Othello Robinson - So In Love'

Fantastic tune, I'd like to hear again in 2013.

All the best,

Social source share

I'm use to it now mate..

:D I'm not quite there yet, but I am finding I can handle it a bit easier than I used to.........People have got to know me now, so have stopped throwing things :lol:

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

not saying he did, did I ? I simply didnt knew jason was playing it at all. But it does make sense THAT he played it. If you get my drift..

Sorry mate , simply a misunderstanding , when you said that Butch played it the last couple of years as a C/U , I assumed that it was before Jason P unveiled the real name.

Social source share

Well I know this used to played many moons ago and to be honest don't know if it still is but to me one of my old faves.

Now if it still gets played out I'll shut the f*ck up but this loud is awesome IMHO

MIKE JEMISON - I WANT SOME SATISFACTION - GENEVA - Cheap as chips !

Got duped a bit on this when I first got it (new release? I swapped it for the other side - QUICK CHANGE ARTIST Doh!) won't tell you what I swapped it for :wicked:

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Happy New Year Jock!

I'm sure I've got this and the male version too? Picked up in the 80's....

Evening Tony

Hope alls good-yep the male version was a big spin in the 80s for Sir Rob "The Lord" Marriott....great tune by the way!!!

ktf tfk :rofl:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's another that should have gone absolutely massive by now, I had it covered up for a while (For a bit of fun!) I suppose ‘September Jones - I'm Coming Home' took 'Centre Stage' over it, but this is so powerful :yes:

'BILLY SHA-RAE - DO IT'

All the best,

https://www.youtube....h?v=SCtFOiTrH6Y

If you like that you might like this

Cheers

Richard

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Four from me for this year to get on to the decks at York Soul Club

June Jackson You're Welcome Musette

Not by any stretch a newie but fair to say semi known down to its rarity...absolutely superb

The America People Give It Up Attack

New style awesome funky northern

Jack Harden She'll Be Back Sureshot

Old style northern very much like Johnny Praye

Rod Keith It's Over And Done Preview

Rare and catchy Stafford type mover

Edited by john parker
Social source share

Guest drewid

bob Hinsley et al was playin this back in the early/mid 90s

Been playing this in the house for years, great pick, never heard it out anywhere, theres another 2 or 3 beauties on the LP that could appeal

Kev

Edited by drewid
Social source share

Rod Keith It's Over And Done Preview

Rare and catchy Stafford type mover

I just did a You Tube search for this and couldn't find a sound clip - This popped up instead! :lol:

Great Mid-tempo :D

Sorry guyz, I just cried with laughter - Was this played anywhere? Mmmmmm :g::D

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share