Top Tips For 2013

Oh, ok then Sean; you’ve talked me into it.... :D

My sound for 2013 is this, ‘Billy Stewart - Count Me Out — Chess’

I'd be very surprised if this hasn't had an 'airing' at some venues before, but I haven't heard it out or at least I don't remember anyway - Out of interest, please let me know if someone else has 'championed' this and where they played it, I’d guess Bretby would be a good contender.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

It used to be a regular spin at Bretbty.... but well worth a few more plays...too good to keep on the shelf
Social source share

It used to be a regular spin at Bretbty.... but well worth a few more plays...too good to keep on the shelf

I thought it sounded 'Bretbyish'.....Sorry Cliff, looks like another of your's I'm 're-championing' - Take it as a compliment :D

All the best,

Social source share

No idea if this has had it's day but loved it since a new release. Actually prefer the extended version.

Nancy Wilson "Now" 1976

Hi Tank

great tooooooon got it on a 12" inch ep thing with different artists on it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BTW i don't think it's had it's day yet !!!!!!!!! :g:

atb Kev :hatsoff2:

Edited by soulghost
Social source share

Les Femmes...rally nice record from the Holgate in York 10 or so ago..didnt really take off...should have done...still got it in "the box"...will dig it out and give it another go for 2013

John P :thumbsup:

An old St. Ives sound!

I've had this in the box for a few years too, and spin it from time to time :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I thought it sounded 'Bretbyish'.....Sorry Cliff, looks like another of your's I'm 're-championing' - Take it as a compliment :D

All the best,

Not one of mine Len, I can't remember who played it at the time, but it was doing the rounds on tapes for quite a while before Bretby.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Tank

great tooooooon got it on a 12" inch ep thing with different artists on it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BTW i don't think it's had it's day yet !!!!!!!!! :g:

atb Kev :hatsoff2:

That's right Kev. Capitol Soul Sampler with some other nice Soul/Jazz cuts too! :thumbsup:

That's two of us like it anyway!!!

Social source share

Valentine bros. Taste of your love. Andy Peebles just played it, second time on the radio today awsome tune heard it it end of old year and it just gets better :thumbsup:

Good call & the first new release on the thread :thumbsup:

Available at amazon & HMV for £8 on the Luxury Soul 2013 CD on the Expansion label.

Social source share

Guest john s

For the slightly funkier floors, here's Margaret Moss and the Three Stars.

Could you please keep quiet about this till I've found a copy, Greg! :ohmy:

Social source share

Sorry, mate....I'll keep my eyes open for ya ;)

as this is so very much similar to sam & dave`s "hold on I`m coming" I wonder if this was some sort of gospel standard which was used by Volt Records to create a "million" selling record or if its the other way around and Margaret Moss used a familiar and popular backing line to create a Gospel record ? ´

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This is what I'll be hammering down under this year, a full throttle NS 60s dancer. Not sure if it gets any exposure on the UK circuit?

Les Femmes - Closer - Power Pack

Cheers........Pete

https://m.youtube.com...h?v=q3-V31ntQTM

Great Track But heres an oddity Both PP100

Can't get the pictures to paste but

Les Femmes - Closer - Power Pack is PP100

& Les Femmes - This I Swear is also Power Pack PP100 but slighly different takes on the Label Designs?

Kirsty

Edited by Gold Band
Social source share

I heard this a few years ago but came across a copy when in Canada last year, it has it's gospel tinge but still makes a mark on me :thumbsup:

Wow, you're the first person I've met who has heard of this! - I got it in the mid 80's and tried to play it on the Mod Scene a couple of times, but it never really worked 'out' - It's a great record though.

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Good call & the first new release on the thread :thumbsup:

Available at amazon & HMV for £8 on the Luxury Soul 2013 CD on the Expansion label.

got mine on the download Martin, till the CD comes out.

atb

Barry

Social source share

as this is so very much similar to sam & dave`s "hold on I`m coming" I wonder if this was some sort of gospel standard which was used by Volt Records to create a "million" selling record or if its the other way around and Margaret Moss used a familiar and popular backing line to create a Gospel record ? ´

Yeah, it's an absolute rip of 'Hold on....' without a doubt, mate. Definitely a case of a gospelized classic, possibly for more secular appeal, or just borrowing a riff for accessibility.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

:D I'm not quite there yet, but I am finding I can handle it a bit easier than I used to.........People have got to know me now, so have stopped throwing things :lol:

All the best,

OH YES YOU ARE!!

Social source share

Great Track But heres an oddity Both PP100

Can't get the pictures to paste but

Les Femmes - Closer - Power Pack is PP100

& Les Femmes - This I Swear is also Power Pack PP100 but slighly different takes on the Label Designs?

Kirsty

Can't see owt!

There are 2 label designs and the demo only has "This I Swear" on it.

Social source share

Got put onto this cracking old skool 60's dancer by Gloucester's finest recently - old Rob Marriott c/u apparently. Would be good to see it take off again - although think someone told me it's had plays in Burnley or somewhere similar recently?

Edited by corbett80
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Les Femmes...rally nice record from the Holgate in York 10 or so ago..didnt really take off...should have done...still got it in "the box"...will dig it out and give it another go for 2013

John P :thumbsup:

John - didn't this have two label variations - one on yellow power pac and another design? Rare (and brill) record by all accounts.

Social source share

One i'll be spinning this year. 60's dancer that i first heard from Adam Topping at the Euro weekender in Manchester last year.

It's only a cheapie but an elusive little bugger to find. Probably a marmite record, and i hate marmite, but love this!

this is good rich , really like it. and even dont know what it is which makes it even more interesting to me.

Social source share

Thanks Marc (it's Azza by the way, not Rich lol).

It's Little Gary Ferguson - Mamma come see bout you daughter, on Mothers

bloody hell, sorry for that azza..same club though ;) you know what I had that LGF 45...orange label if I remember correctly. sold it some years ago..another mark in my long list of obvious mistakes ;)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks Marc (it's Azza by the way, not Rich lol).

It's Little Gary Ferguson - Mamma come see bout you daughter, on Mothers

Liked this tune for along time Azza so good to hear your championing it (an old cleethorpes I'm informed??)

Another nice tune by Mr Ferguson is "There Is A Gift" on pompeii :yes:

Social source share

Liked this tune for along time Azza so good to hear your championing it (an old cleethorpes I'm informed??)

Another nice tune by Mr Ferguson is "There Is A Gift" on pompeii :yes:

He was initially a kiddie james brown impersonator. There was some pretty excellent footage from a tv show (not sure what) where he was 6 years old and doing JB, it was on youtube for a while.

Social source share

Here's another that should have gone absolutely massive by now, I had it covered up for a while (For a bit of fun!) I suppose ‘September Jones - I'm Coming Home' took 'Centre Stage' over it, but this is so powerful :yes:

'BILLY SHA-RAE - DO IT'

All the best,

https://www.youtube....h?v=SCtFOiTrH6Y

Search out the version by Johnny Griffith on Triple B, been playing it out and about for ages, a lot more oomph for me.

AND---It's Cheap :thumbup:

Social source share

Search out the version by Johnny Griffith on Triple B, been playing it out and about for ages, a lot more oomph for me.

AND---It's Cheap :thumbup:

'Premium Stuff' posted it on Post Number 135 - I didn't know that version.

Thanks for sharing anyway.

All the best,

Social source share

'Premium Stuff' posted it on Post Number 135 - I didn't know that version.

Thanks for sharing anyway.

All the best,

Fair enough,

but if they'd stick a couple words on when they post Youtube clips, for those of us firewalled, :dash2: I'd have seen it...

Nevertheless, it's a cracker :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share