"light Fingered Soul?"

Guest Baz

Just copyed this from a website,

Did that many records go at prestatyn? seem to remember Pat had one go as well as Mike but cant recall any news of more whistling.gif

Seems like most of the news on this site has been lifted from soul-source :thumbsup:

LIGHT FINGERED SOUL!

What the heck is going on right now with the Northern Soul scene? I have had a post bag full of letters from record dealers and DJ's alike who, while working at the recent Midnight Hour Weekender at Pontins in Prestatyn, had a number of records stolen out of their boxes.

I know I have mentioned this light-fingered aspect in this column before, but I had hoped they were just the odd isolated case, this current crop of thieving seems to be much more organised, with many of the records being taken in the split seconds while the guys were distracted, in some cases they had literally just turned their backs while serving a customers or had just nipped away from their stall momentarily. Let me make it clear we are not talking about one record here or there, some dealers had as many as 20 stolen, while a DJ had 7 taken, many of his biggest plays.

Nowadays with vinyl record prices sky high, we can be talking about a hefty sum of money. If you can get away with stealing 5 or 6 records then you could easily clear £250 even if you sell them cheap. Are we really having to go back to the days that I recall quite vividly when record dealers and DJ's used to padlock an iron bar to the tops of their boxes when they were not using them. I can also remember many jocks threading strong curtain wire through the middle of records and putting padlocks on the ends just to keep them safe from being nicked!

I would like to think that nowadays we are all above this type of thing, but so often this has proved me wrong. I tend to think that like other areas of the scene a touch of complacency has possibly crept in with DJ's and dealers becoming to trusting over the years, it is clear that nowadays they need to keep a closer enough eye on their records. Equally I would have to say that the ordinary punter has a role to play in this as well, somebody must know or see something when stealing is going on at a Northern Soul event, if you do then you should step forward to report it straight away, don't protect these lowlifes, shop them!

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Gavin Page

It's from "The UK's Number one Northern Soul web site"

At least that's what paddy Grady calls his site. whistling.gif:thumbsup:

Mmmmm :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest hatman

Seems like most of the news on this site has been lifted from soul-source :thumbsup:

It will do--the bungee rope don't streach out of Northampton-----------

Social source share

I must admit, I did steal a Garry lewis & The Playboys Greatest Hits(sic) LP from a hippy type Liverpool record shop in 1974. I then went on to sell it for a fiver to some gullable person at Wigan. There I've admitted it I once owned "My Hearts Symphony" briefly(but not legally).

Paul

Social source share

Just copyed this from a website,

Did that many records go at prestatyn? seem to remember Pat had one go as well as Mike but cant recall any news of more :thumbsup:

Seems like most of the news on this site has been lifted from soul-source :shhh:

LIGHT FINGERED SOUL!

What the heck is going on right now with the Northern Soul scene? I have had a post bag full of letters from record dealers and DJ's alike who, while working at the recent Midnight Hour Weekender at Pontins in Prestatyn, had a number of records stolen out of their boxes.

I know I have mentioned this light-fingered aspect in this column before, but I had hoped they were just the odd isolated case, this current crop of thieving seems to be much more organised, with many of the records being taken in the split seconds while the guys were distracted, in some cases they had literally just turned their backs while serving a customers or had just nipped away from their stall momentarily. Let me make it clear we are not talking about one record here or there, some dealers had as many as 20 stolen, while a DJ had 7 taken, many of his biggest plays.

Nowadays with vinyl record prices sky high, we can be talking about a hefty sum of money. If you can get away with stealing 5 or 6 records then you could easily clear £250 even if you sell them cheap. Are we really having to go back to the days that I recall quite vividly when record dealers and DJ's used to padlock an iron bar to the tops of their boxes when they were not using them. I can also remember many jocks threading strong curtain wire through the middle of records and putting padlocks on the ends just to keep them safe from being nicked!

I would like to think that nowadays we are all above this type of thing, but so often this has proved me wrong. I tend to think that like other areas of the scene a touch of complacency has possibly crept in with DJ's and dealers becoming to trusting over the years, it is clear that nowadays they need to keep a closer enough eye on their records. Equally I would have to say that the ordinary punter has a role to play in this as well, somebody must know or see something when stealing is going on at a Northern Soul event, if you do then you should step forward to report it straight away, don't protect these lowlifes, shop them!

In my opinion the northern scene in the last 3 decades has been very honest ok you may have with one or two records going missing i find you can leave your coat and bag around and its still there in the morning it was not long ago i left my wallet and cash on the table at the 100 club all night it was still in the same position as i left it and the cards in it could've bought frank wilson twice over as if anyone would.

Billy

Ps.i don't give a shit if im not in NY lol

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

why would DJ's and record dealers write a sack full of letters to you Paddy?

not being funny - just generally interested.

Shane

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!