News: Pied Piper - A New Concept In Detroit Soul

Chalky

Guest chorleybloke

Not bought a CD for yonks but I'll be having this one. Was expecting the other Cavaliers to be on it "Without Someone To Tell Me"?

Pete

Social source share

This CD heralds the biggest unearthing of Detroit and Northern Soul masters for decades. It is as important and thrilling as the Scepter, Wand and Musicor cache, the Dave Hamilton tapes or the unissued RCA treasure of the 80s and 90s.

That's what I'm talking about! :thumbup:

Just give Ady the trophy for 'Winner of CD release of 2013' already :thumbup:

Social source share

Hope Lorraine has been interviewed & the resulting info is included in the CD booklet notes (as Ady is thorough ... if not totally organised ... I guess he will have this all sorted).

If not, perhaps Lorraine can contribute to this thread & let us know what she remembers about those times in the studio & the artists involved.

Social source share

I started a thread some months ago on tunes I'd missed, no longer being a regular at the 100 club, so these are it!!!!

Wondered whether the 3. Gamblers Blues - Nancy Wilcox is the same as that acetate Tim brown auctioned some months ago, his comment on that disc was something along the lines of its unlikely to ever be issued or licenced, for one reason or another...

Mal

Social source share

There will be some singles out at the end of March and an LP is eventually planned but maybe not until the second volume early next year

Great news Ady, and furthermore much gratitude for your continuous efforts in un-earthing these gems. TBH the longevity in my personal interest in this great musical adventure will continue unabated, whilst such superb material gets its just recognition in whichever format! I excitedly look forward to this and furthermore future releases of similar ilk....

Kind Regards Mike Wilks

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ferrett

The heavy fuzz guitars, the over the top backing singers and jack ashford's hammering tambourine right up front in the mix...... Pied Piper productions are everything a great northern soul record should be. Shivers down the spine. Can't wait to hear this CD. Well done Ady and co for putting this out. I'm sure it will sell VERY well!!!

Social source share

Cmon Hadrian, forget volume 2 and get licking those envelopes and address labels for vol 1. My Postie has already been threatened with a kicking (from the other half as I am a pacifist/coward) if it doesn't arrive by Friday. And thats only because I ask her 3 times nightly is it here yet and she is fed up of giving me a kicking over it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Cmon Hadrian, forget volume 2 and get licking those envelopes and address labels for vol 1. My Postie has already been threatened with a kicking (from the other half as I am a pacifist/coward) if it doesn't arrive by Friday. And thats only because I ask her 3 times nightly is it here yet and she is fed up of giving me a kicking over it.

I was just thinking the same Jock that we haven't had volume one yet never mind volume 2.

And what about that task you had to do after footie? :lol:

Social source share

I was just thinking the same Jock that we haven't had volume one yet never mind volume 2.

And what about that task you had to do after footie? :lol:

Did I not email you last night?

Couldn't find the damned record so suspect its in one of the unsorted boxes, its an orange label isnt it?

Also my buzzing speakers sound like an exhaust falling off rather than previous cat like purring so not sure if it will come off good.

Remind me, via email, tonight and I will have a dig around.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This CD heralds the biggest unearthing of Detroit and Northern Soul masters for decades. It is as important and thrilling as the Scepter, Wand and Musicor cache, the Dave Hamilton tapes or the unissued RCA treasure of the 80s and 90s.

Puer Oh Puer Oh Puer :thumbup:

For the classically trained among us :yes:

Social source share

YES :thumbup: ...Postie has just slid down the driveway with precious cargo and I'm currently having a 3rd attempt at trying to get through the plastic covering. Deep breath and kettle on, kids pushed out to play and hi-fi fired up. :thumbsup:

I don't think they want you to listen to the damn cd really :lol: it's on its second play here, great stuff!! Now Ady stop messing about and get Volume two out :rofl:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Whoops I've only just played mine and I've done exactly what Benji warned me about and used the underdub version of the Sandpipers! It actually sounds pretty good to me but its a total mistake which I'll put right for Vol 2. Many apologies to Sandpipers fans. The rest of it sounds rather good! Jack Ashford gave us some terrific photos to include

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest brian smith

Put a nasty cut on my finger trying to open it. But what a great c.d. (When I'd stemmed the bleeding!!)

Alright kid. Hows it going. Deffo up for Chestefiled mate. Let me know nearer the time.

Social source share

Whoops I've only just played mine and I've done exactly what Benji warned me about and used the underdub version of the Sandpipers! It actually sounds pretty good to me but its a total mistake which I'll put right for Vol 2. Many apologies to Sandpipers fans. The rest of it sounds rather good! Jack Ashford gave us some terrific photos to include

Personally not a Sandpipers fan as such Per sae (LOL), however I must say the CD is a superb compilation, and I eagerly await further output in due course!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!