News: Pied Piper - A New Concept In Detroit Soul

Chalky

The Damned in their early phase - pre TOTP - were great - and great live too

Good to see Ace releasing more of this kind of stuff.

Cheers

Richard

i

caught them down the Roxy, marquee and Vortex and was a big fan. 'New Rose' was probably the best of all the punk singles, amazing energy. The Members did the best punk/New Wave LP

• Helpful 3
Social source share

i

caught them down the Roxy, marquee and Vortex and was a big fan. 'New Rose' was probably the best of all the punk singles, amazing energy. The Members did the best punk/New Wave LP

Blimey thats opening up a can of worms. The Members lp being better than the Pistols, Damned and Clash first lp's? The Lurkers first LP was brilliant as well, Fulham Fallout.

Sorry, back to the topic in hand...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i

The old Sandpiper club in the Nottingham lace market for me was the Damned - plus loads at that place at the time - S & Banshees, Stiff Little Fingers, Dickies (US), and the Ruts were especially good live :thumbsup: Missed the pistols there under a pseudonym but hey! :lol:

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

I've hijacked my own thread. I'm going to start a Members LP thread in Freebasing. Feel free to transfer any stray posts mods.

:ohmy: Thank you. I thought I was having a nightmare!!!! I was saying to myself..."self, it can't be over yet!"

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The old Sandpiper club in the Nottingham lace market for me was the Damned - plus loads at that place at the time - S & Banshees, Stiff Little Fingers, Dickies (US), and the Ruts were especially good live :thumbsup: Missed the pistols there under a pseudonym but hey! :lol:

Did the Sandpiper too mate ( was at the Dickies gig) but mainly the Jacksdale Topper. Used to do Palais alldayers up to 7ish then jump on the bus to Jacksdale to see the like of the members, subs, angelic upstarts etc

Social source share

:ohmy: Thank you. I thought I was having a nightmare!!!! I was saying to myself..."self, it can't be over yet!"

Lorraine

It's not over yet :) volume 2 is getting ready to set the world alight. I'm made up this has charted Lorraine

Social source share

X-Ray Spex,Wayne County +Electric Chairs,Sham 69,,plus load more.Pistols there ? PM me Richard.

Social source share

This just in from Ray Monette, legendary Detroit guitarist and apart from being half of Mike & Ray co-wrote I Can't Hold On, Give Me All Of Your Love and Time Changes Things

JUST WANTED TO THANK YOU FOR THE CD'S!

THE PIED PIPER CD IS GREAT. EXCELLENT HISTORY ON THE WHOLE STORY,AND THE SOUND QUALITY IS OUTSTANDING.

I WAS THERE,AND YOU TOLD ME SOME THINGS THAT I WASN'T AWARE OF AT THE TIME.LOL.

ONCE AGAIN......THANKS,AND GOOD LUCK WITH THE PROJECT!

CHEERS, RAY

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'm glad to see iTunes and Amazon have the mp3 available. If you want to buy the CD on U.S. Amazon, the description of the CD says

"This item will be released on February 19, 2013".

Hope my copy gets here soon !

The CD release date was the last Mon in Jan, I'll try and get it hurried along.

Michael, I'll try and get the sleevenotes sorted. Do they normally include them? It's a 28 page booklet so I'm not sure that they do.

Ady

Social source share

Fair to say we are loving this cd - but what I want to know is what is Stuttering Sam saying!

Think it might be taken from an Indian take away conversation and he's saying "I'l have the bhuna, I'll have the, I'll have the, I'll have the bhuna.... :D

Got the CD plus a copy of "Dave Hamilton's Detroit Dancers" from Beatin Rythm whilst in Manchester yesterday as part of my on-going education............very nice indeed.

Interesting read also.

Social source share

Obviously just my opinion but you lot seem to be going way over the top about this one.

Track for track, Kent 30 beats this one hands down.

For me it's due to the quality, and number, of the unissued stuff. There is half a spot in there that would be one of the most exciting for a long time, the fact they were all quality uptempo Northern was for me the clincher.

However I agree its no where near their greatest overall CD, which just shows Ady and Tony are actually much smarter in real life. :-)))

Social source share

For me it's due to the quality, and number, of the unissued stuff. There is half a spot in there that would be one of the most exciting for a long time, the fact they were all quality uptempo Northern was for me the clincher.

However I agree its no where near their greatest overall CD, which just shows Ady and Tony are actually much smarter in real life. :-)))

I'm obviously not getting it then, I got half way through most of the unissued tracks and skipped the rest of the track. When I get cd's I put them into itunes and rate each track (5 stars max) and none got 5 stars, only three got 4 stars and they were all previously released tracks. Most got 3 stars, the rest got 2's and 1's.

LIke I say - just my opinion...

Social source share

It's probably the whole package that is getting some of us excited, not just the tracks but right down to the booklet telling the story etc, the photos and the history some of the tracks have on the scene.

I agree 100% there, as ever the booklet is brilliant, the photos etc.

But I'm not going to apologise for not hailing this as the greatest cd ever.

I enjoy most of Kent and Ace's output.

p.s.

The unissued version of I Can't Hold On, I thought that was tape error it's way too fast.

Social source share

Finally got my CD today and am listening it for the second time. Really liked the Rose Battiste - 1000% better than "I Miss My Baby",

"I Hear Music" by Lorraine, the original version of "I Can't Hold On", and the Willie Kendricks. It's nice to have all the released tracks

all on the same CD. The liner notes and all of the pictures were incredible too. Can't wait for volume 2.

Social source share

Its a few weeks now since the cd's been issued and for what its worth here's my two-penneth!

To these ears accessing the back files of the Pied Piper material is akin to a chocoholic opening a big fat chocolate bar and revealing a GOLDEN TICKET to appear at the gates of Willy Wonker's chocolate factory. I am a fan and this cd delivers for me and more.

It's good to see some of the lesser played out tracks like Miki Farrow's 'Could It Be' and Tony Hester's 'I Just Can't Leave You'on here. And as my good friend Mark commented, 'It's about time the Mike and Ray and The Sandpiper tracks got a broader airing and a little time in the limelight.' Both Detroit soul aka mid 60's through and through.

The cd is not without its pleasant suprises. The photos of very young Jack Ashford and Lorraine Chandler and Mike Terry playing 2nd trombone in The Joe Hunter Band are priceless and as usual the sleeve notes from Ady documenting the highs and lows of the Pied Piper production team are as illuminating and thorough as you'd expect.

My favourite track at the moment is The Cavaliers 'We Go Together' which I find sublime in its sophisticated simplicity. But like I say I am a fan. Willie Kendrick's version of 'Time Changes Things', though not as heavy as The Metros' version, could become some Pied Piper fans' favourite take. Also if anyone doubted the country 'twang' of Nancy Wilcox's vocals listen again to 'In The End'. I could go on.

I love this cd and hope there's still more to come. 1966 Pied Piper a new dimension in Detroit Soul.

'Rock on Tommy'

Best

Kev

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

• 6 years later...

One of the great things about taking the chance to listen to different music as one gets older is that wonderful moment when you hear something for the first time that is 50 years old and marvel how it can be possible you are only hearing this magnificent stuff for the first time.

Ordered and received the three Pied Piper and Just Production Vol. 2 Comps direct from Ace this week and am having a ball listening to so many new tracks (to these ears). Why Lorraine Chandler and September Jones were not huge stars is criminal.

The sleeve notes are worth the purchase price alone.

Edited by Soulfusion
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Sandpipers acetates

Picked these up many years ago and I believe these came from Ed Hillert.

Original 7” demo acetate of Lonely Too Long sung by Ed Hillert?

United Sounds 10” acetate of the Sandpipers - Lonely Too Long, alternate take, same take as on the Kent Pied Piper a new concept in Detroit Soul cd.

Always loved the song.

Mark

Sandpipers - Lonely Too Long Acetates.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!