Lollipops Impact/rca - Same Group?

Benji

Nice pic cover, Benji, does it give us any info on the group at all? Their superb, 'Love Is The Only Answer' is actually a Jobete published track and penned by Stanley Ossman...who also co-wrote several Shrine.tracks. By coincidence I came across both a black stocker and a WD the other day!

:hatsoff2:

post-9555-0-29290700-1357212986_thumb.jp

Social source share

David, sorry. Cover ain't mine, nicked scan off Ebay.

It's a french EP currently on offer from a guy in Paris @ 200 Euros :ohmy:

Did a bit more research and agree with Pete, unlikely they're same outfit. I guess the Jobete/Motown/Detroit link made me thinking they might be the same.

BTW, mine's a nice german issue :thumbsup:

Social source share

Here's The Lollipops of Impact/VIP fame:

There are a few of us who suspect that these young ladies may also be The Sequins of the Detroit Sound label too.

post-1369-0-55981700-1357232404_thumb.jp

The photo below is also of a three girl group of the same name that I thought may well be the RCA group but they don't look to be the same girls as the French EP pic AND at least one of the girls could be in both photos.

post-1369-0-33807200-1357232530_thumb.jp

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

They are DEFINITELY NOT the same group. The RCA group was from The East Coast (I read their story somewhere, but can't remember). The Impact group was from Michigan, and there was no connection. I just remember that The East Coast group wasn't from NYC. They were produced by Charley Fox in New York. The reason they sang a Jobete Music song was because of The New York Jobete office's marketing and both Charley Fox and Teacho Wilshire had connections to NY Jobete writer/producers, George Kerr, Sidney Barnes, Gene Redd Jr., and George Clinton.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This is the lineup I have of the sequins on detroit sound:

Brenda Roland, Brenda Knight, Merlene Druskell

This is the lineup I have of the lollipops on impact / VIP

Arenita Walker (lead), later of Godmama, Joyce Walker, Angela Allen.

I have the RCA group marked as a White group. Are they not a White group?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 years later...

We read a book on the net that says this about The Lollipops (V.I.P/Impact group) after not having much success they then moved on to record for RCA label so the 2 pics that Dave has could be same group maybe? here is link: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=8JRHnCMUVb8C&pg=PA274&lpg=PA274&dq=THE+LOLLIPOPS+VIP+LABEL&source=bl&ots=qT5_KiMuqr&sig=4J1Pvfq_IYm-nCZAZ2M6RnJ4KqY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CEUQ6AEwCjgKahUKEwjxkNP1srDHAhWkbtsKHRBZAGE#v=onepage&q=THE LOLLIPOPS VIP LABEL&f=false

Social source share

We read a book on the net that says this about The Lollipops (V.I.P/Impact group) after not having much success they then moved on to record for RCA label so the 2 pics that Dave has could be same group maybe? here is link: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=8JRHnCMUVb8C&pg=PA274&lpg=PA274&dq=THE+LOLLIPOPS+VIP+LABEL&source=bl&ots=qT5_KiMuqr&sig=4J1Pvfq_IYm-nCZAZ2M6RnJ4KqY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CEUQ6AEwCjgKahUKEwjxkNP1srDHAhWkbtsKHRBZAGE#v=onepage&q=THE LOLLIPOPS VIP LABEL&f=false

I think whoever wrote the piece in the book is simply making an assumption they are the same groups without doing much if any research?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think whoever wrote the piece in the book is simply making an assumption they are the same groups without doing much if any research?

book by Bill Dahl & Weldon A. McDougal, III I'm sure they would know what they are talking about? plus Dave said one of the members looks the same, could have been in both groups? x

Edited by JustASoulie
Social source share

I'm not an expert on this topic but I was simply saying that the book was wrote by Bill Dahl & Weldon A. McDougal, III so presumed that they would have known? My sister has a channel on youtube and the son of one of The Sequins commented on a video, so I will see if she can ask him? might get it cleared up, is it them or not? x

Social source share

Guest keithhughes

When Bill Dahl, Harry Weinger & I were researching the Motown Singles Volume 9 (some years after Bill's Motown book was published), we concluded & agreed that the RCA and Impact/VIP Lollipops were NOT the same group. Don't have our correspondence to hand right now, so I just offer that for what it's worth ...

Social source share

When Bill Dahl, Harry Weinger & I were researching the Motown Singles Volume 9 (some years after Bill's Motown book was published), we concluded & agreed that the RCA and Impact/VIP Lollipops were NOT the same group. Don't have our correspondence to hand right now, so I just offer that for what it's worth ...

Just got my sister to message the son and thank you for the correction, as in the author doesn't think there is a connection after all x

Social source share

Chalky's right. Weldon was a very keen photographer and took tens of thousands of photos. He was rarely seen without a camera. He didn't have any info reference the provenance about the Detroit Sequins though. I guess it's one of those mysteries that will be lost in the sands of time.  What shame that Barney Browner passed with less than even a passing interest in his legacy. Everyone I've spoken to that worked with him were always impressed with his talents. Wish I'd got to meet the man.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Further to my earlier post let me add a little more that gives my theory a bit more substance, iwas lucky to of visited Duke in 1987 I say lucky because many a person had spoken to him on the phone and he wasn't very receptive and had no interest in music of past, I only got round on Broad St because I was stopping over at Richard Wylie's house on Sorrento for 8 days. Now I know that people in the music business would hand out their latest release (45) to each other in passing Popcorn had told me that many times but one of the 3/4 records I got from Duke was a Sequins Try My Love. Didn't think much about it at the time (I was so chuffed with this 45)  I also got the only promo photo of the girls that I know of from Dave Hamilton who had said to me The Sequins were a better group than the Supremes at that time. On return to the UK sometime later I looked at a picture of The Lollipops and thought they looked like the girls in my picture of The Sequins So this gave thoughts to my theory and may I say might explain why Duke had this recording. Hope this can be proved or not proved as long as the facts are documented

Social source share

This is the lineup I have of the sequins on detroit sound:

Brenda Roland, Brenda Knight, Merlene Druskell

This is the lineup I have of the lollipops on impact / VIP

Arenita Walker (lead), later of Godmama, Joyce Walker, Angela Allen.

I have the RCA group marked as a White group. Are they not a White group?

As you can see from the record jacket photo above, The RCA Lollipops were NOT a "white" group.  The group on Smash Records was.  Those 2 groups get confused,

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!