Kings Hall, Stoke

As the promoter of the Kings Hall, Stoke All Nighter can I thank all the SS members I had the pleasure of meeting and make a statement on behalf of NORTHERN SOUL.

In my opinion, the CROWD, VENUE, ATTENDANCE, MUSIC VARIETY at this venue are the strongest I have seen in the last 14 years since the 'resurgance'.

If ever we needed to be proud of our heritage it was there for all to see last night.

Regardless of any competition(and there could have been 50 gigs on it would not have made any difference) the STOKE get together is unchallenged. THANKS AND CARRY ON ENJOYING IT.

For those not present, I sincerely hope you enjoyed your own favourite events wherever they were, hopefully you can check us out in 2005 and see the difference!

Kev

ps and were there not some cracking vinyl for sale! I counted approx 110 record boxes at one stage!

• Replies 32
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny One Trout

For two Stokes on the trot now i have met up with people i haven't seen in over 20 years last night was Jem Ashibende and the one before Dave Manly, wonder who it'll be next time ph34r.gif

Great night though Kev

Guest Johnny One Trout

TOP NIGHT JOHN NICE TO SEE U AND ALI AGAIN ,SEE YOU AT ILKESTON ONE DAY ? ph34r.gif   blink.gif

SPAN

link

No doubt you will span we do have a very busy diary in the run to Chrimbo though wink.gif BTW I've got your number!!!!!!

John

Guest andrew bin

Another top night as usual craking music cracking people top venue and pie chips mushy peas at 1 am, Cock On-- roll on 2005

............Andrew

Another top night as usual craking music cracking people top venue and pie chips  mushy peas at 1 am, Cock On-- roll on 2005

............Andrew

link

Thanks for the Valley Soul stuff Andrew and I had a lovely cuddle from Tracy.

It was a top night. I saw loads of friends I haven't seen in ages,plus lots that I see all the time.Only trouble was the time went by to quickly.

kev

any joy on getting a few playlists from stoke to have a gander at

always find them off interest  and sure others do

same for any other events this or any weekend

link

Mike,

A little tough as I run between two rooms, and you can imagine the size of venue. Hopefully more add ons will be supplied by attendees.;

KEV;

JJ Barnes-Everbody Needs Somebody(Motown unreleased)

Gloria Jones-Come Go With Me(Uptown)

The Montclairs-Hey You Don't Fight It(Arch)

Lewis Sisters-Tell Me The Rumours Are Wrong9Motown unreleased)

SOUL SAM;

King Moses The only one I caught by Sam

KENNY BURRELL;

Mello Souls, Damon Fox, Oxford Nights.

NEIL JONES;

Jimmy Norman-Family Tree

GINGER TAYLOR;

Bill Bush

Kev, Despite the bad vibes between us recently on here, i'm really pleased Stoke went well as it always does, on reflection a public normally nice site like this was perhaps the wrong place to debate or air our differences, it was never my intention for it to go this far or cause offence, so publically here and now for many people to read if my comments came across to you as negative then for that i'm totally out of order, my intentions and comments were on reflection not suitable for this domain.In future i will just keep my posts either lighthearted or informative rather than comment on the more serious stuff and scene politics.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

• Helpful 1

Kev, Despite the bad vibes between us recently on here, i'm really pleased Stoke went well as it always does, on reflection a public normally nice site like this was perhaps the wrong place to debate or air our differences, it was never my intention for it to go this far or cause offence, so publically here and now for many people to read if my comments came across to you as negative then for that i'm totally out of order, my intentions and comments were on reflection not suitable for this domain.In future i will just keep my posts either lighthearted or informative rather than comment on the more serious stuff and scene politics.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

Mark,

Top man. That's the spirit.

We all must realise how diverse Northern really is right now. For instance, I played early doors at Stoke(10pm) 3 requests in 20 minutes;

Request 1; The Montclairs-Hey You Don't Fight It

Request 2; Roger K-Give Me The Love !

Request 3; The Rainbows-Help Me

What a bizarre set of(diverse) requests......but hey...that's Northern Soul.

Mark,

Top man. That's the spirit.

We all must realise how diverse Northern really is right now. For instance, I played early doors at Stoke(10pm) 3 requests in 20 minutes;

Request 1; The Montclairs-Hey You Don't Fight It

Request 2; Roger K-Give Me The Love !

Request 3; The Rainbows-Help Me

What a bizarre set of(diverse) requests......but hey...that's Northern Soul.

link

I asked Kenny to play the mello souls for someone who wasn't there and he did, good on ya Kenny whistling.gif

Thought the Oct. allnighter was poor compared to the wigan and oldies only previous ones.The atmosphere was no where near as good,and i thought the night ended flat.The crowd i was with was 15+ and this was the overall view. also attendencies don't lie it was way down on the two previous ones.

The music policy favoured newies and the dance floor only ever packed out when the the oldie stomping classics were played.

A lot of our regular crowd never attended as they said they would only reconise 50% of the music,and didn't want to be sat on there backsides half the night.

The average age of our crowd was 45.

The consenseus of opinion was we go to these places mainly for nostalga and to listen to the sounds with love and know. we didn't think the music mix was right.

I know there are many soulies who have moved on from the wigan stompers, classic oldies etc. and enjoy the new and rare stuff, wish i was one of them.

And i say again the dance floor and attendencies don't lie.

Thought the Oct. allnighter was poor compared to the wigan and oldies only previous ones.The atmosphere was no where near as good,and i thought the night ended flat.The crowd i was with was 15+ and this was the overall view. also attendencies don't lie it was way down on the two previous ones.

The music policy favoured newies and the dance floor only ever packed out when the the oldie stomping classics were played.

A lot of our regular crowd never attended as they said they would only reconise 50% of the music,and didn't want to be sat on there backsides half the night.

The consenseus of opinion was we go to these places mainly for nostalga and to listen to the sounds with love and know. we didn't think the music mix was right.

I know there are many soulies who have moved on from the wigan stompers, classic oldies etc. and enjoy the new and rare stuff, wish i was one of them.

link

LOUDSPEAKER;

The facts from the promoter;

1. The crowd was 100 down on the Oldies night of July(no surprise there)

2. Way down...... 1500 in! I wish we could do these numbers every week.

3. Still the best attended all nighter on the planet!

4. A killer 'oldsters' night on Dec 10th(you'll know every record)-try and make it.

SELF PROMOTION OVER...Next.........

link

THOUGHT MOST PEOPLE NEW IT WASNT A OLDIES ALLNIGHTER ? TIME TO MOVE ON M8 , I LOVE A RIGHT OLD MIXTURE OF OLDIES NEWIES AND MODERN ,THOUGHT IT WAS A GREAT NIGHT AND GOOD ATMOSPHERE

that bloke in the wig made my night ,looked like he was having fun

:thumbsup::Psmile.gif

SPANNER

THOUGHT MOST PEOPLE NEW IT WASNT A OLDIES ALLNIGHTER ? TIME TO MOVE ON M8 , I LOVE A RIGHT OLD MIXTURE OF OLDIES NEWIES AND MODERN  ,THOUGHT IT WAS A GREAT NIGHT AND GOOD ATMOSPHERE

that bloke in the wig made my night ,looked like he was having fun

:thumbsup:   :P   smile.gif

SPANNER

link

You mean this bloke ?

post-1312-1097609111_thumb.jpg

Mike,

A little tough as I run between two rooms, and you can imagine the size of venue. Hopefully more add ons will be supplied by attendees.;

NEIL JONES;

Jimmy Norman-Family Tree

Here's Neil's playlist....

Bob Brady - Goodbye Baby

Wooden Nickels - Nobody but you

Metros - Since I found my Baby (request)

Tangeers - Let my heart & soul be free (request)

J B Troy - Live On

Jimmy Norman - Family Tree

Dee Dee Sharpe - Deep Dark Secret (request)

Roscoe & friends - Broadway sissy

Gene Toones - What more do you want

Alexander Patten - A lil lovin' sometimes

September Jones - I'm comin' home

Kurt Harris - Emporor of my baby's ..... (newly wed request)

Elbie Parker - Please keep away from me

Dynamics - i need your love

Young Blood Smith - you can split (Request)

Cavaliers - Hold to my baby

Jayne.x.

LOUDSPEAKER;

The facts from the promoter;

1. The crowd was 100 down on the Oldies night of July(no surprise there)

2. Way down...... 1500 in! I wish we could do these numbers every week.

3. Still the best attended all nighter on the planet!

4. A killer 'oldsters' night on Dec 10th(you'll know every record)-try and make it.

SELF PROMOTION OVER...Next.........

link

You advertised this event as biggest newies and vintage oldies i expected a 50/50 mix, it wasn't.

You advertised this event as biggest newies and vintage oldies i expected a 50/50 mix, it wasn't.

link

Any chance you could tell us about yourself Loudspeaker? :thumbsup:

It's good to see you are a new member, but we don't even know your name wink.gif

My name's Jamie :thumbsup: , and I run a very small night called 'Soulsville', hence my name on this site.

Just thought it would be nice to put a name, and maybe a bit of your soul background to the name 'Loudspeaker' and bit about why you feel the the last event wasn't a 'success'.

Cheers,

Jamie :D

[A lot of our regular crowd never attended as they said they would only reconise 50% of the music,and didn't want to be sat on there backsides half the night.

link

[A lot of our regular crowd never attended as they said they would only reconise 50% of the music,and didn't want to be sat on there backsides half the night.

Not bad going dancing at 50% of a 10 hour plus nighter!

I would love to see this crowd as they are either pilled up to the tits or they run marathons before breakfast!

You must need a break now and again unless you are pissin in a bag and on a drip!

Another point is that Kev can't win can he? He now has people saying his nighters are too rare!

My advice to the loudspeaker gang is to invest in half a dozen new cds and I am sure you will be impressed by the recent finds/forgotten gems. But saying that can you manage 75% next time? If not change your dealer/get a personal trainer who will push you all that bit further! Dont take me too serious Mr Loudspeaker it is only meant as light hearted fun :thumbsup:

Shane

Hi Jamie

The names Jim ive been on the soul scene since 1968.

Gave it up 78.Started going again most weekends since 1996

Live near wolves, so far this year ive attended a soul night every friday and saturday, always prepared to travel if nothing on local.

Been to most of the big venues over the years,wigan was always my favorite.

Didn,t think that stoke on saturday wasn't a success,just that the amosphere wasn't as good as the two previous ones ie the wigan revival,and the oldies alnighter and put that down to the music policy of favouring oldies and classics always beats favouring newies due to the nostalga factor.

Anyway if you would like a chat email me a landline number to lad1202002@yahoo.co.uk and i'll give you a ring when its convenient.

Cheers J

If anybody has got Soul Sam`s playlist i would love to see it I had a great nite,

friendly staff & a good mixture of newies & oldies & yes the guy in the wig :thumbsup: .

Brothers & sisters its all soul music. Roll on the next one.

Guest Johnny One Trout

Gary you should have spoke to the guy in the wig -: )

spanner :thumbsup:   blush.gif

link

Waste of time Spanner me old mate, i did and all he said was "I got your number, I got your number" and started jogging on the spot!!! Bit of a wierdo if you ask me tongue.gif:D:D

Edited by Johnny One Trout

Waste of time Spanner me old mate, i did and all he said was "I got your number, I got your number" and started jogging on the spot!!! Bit of a wierdo if you ask me  :thumbsup:   blush.gif   tongue.gif

link

Yeah but it was 118118, not 6345789 !

Which reminds me, I'm after a copy of Marva Jones if anyone has one for sale :D