Valatone & 100 Club Last Night

Virgin trains have finally got their act together regarding trains to and from London, so I arrived at Euston about half eight to be greeted at the door of The Valatone Soul Sessions by none other than Johnny T himself.

Not many in when I arrived, but by half nine nearly all the usual suspects had turned up, and the place was starting to get busy. I've always enjoyed the Valatone when it's at St Aloysious because you can dance and drink in the dark in the main room, or sit closer to the bar in the lounge bit where the lights are on but you can still hear the music.

Johnny T and Buey also have a knack for picking DJs who play something different and interesting (and it's usually the cheapies that grab my attention). Tonight was no different, no idea who played what though because I was in the lounge bit being entertained by Back Door Kenny. Apparently he's just DJ'ed in Germany because he was really enthusiastic about German girls who "Like Fat Blokes", mind you I lost the thread a bit when he started trying to explain that Adolf Hitler had a brother who was born in Liverpool ! I felt safe though because Nicola was there to protect me and I wouldn't let her leave !

I know quite a few other venues have over the years tried warm ups for the 100 Club, but the Valatone is the one that, for me, sets the night off to a good start.

Onto the 100 Club. There I am sitting in the corridor all on my own one minute, then the next the corridor is absolutely rammed full of people, well actually it was just Roger Banks and Hoss, but Hoss makes enough noise for twenty people on his own.

Chris Waterman, despite posting on this very forum that he had been grounded by Marcelle, arrived with Mick H. Later on he told me that he just looked at Marcelle with big sad puppy eyes, and she relented and let him come out to play. Well done that girl !

Downstairs, set the records up and sit back to watch Roger Banks and Roger Stewart argue about who is setting up where. A mildy entertaining start to the niter.

Steve C and Dave Abbott started the music off in the absence of Mick Smith, who I assume is off robbing banks in Mexico again. They had three spots, and double decked throughout all three. Now if you've never doubled decked it's not as easy as it seems because you've got to try and anticipate what the other guy is going to play, and if you screw it up the spot sounds disjointed. Even as 100 Club Virgins (Behind the decks I mean) Steve and Dave performed seemlessly. Apart from records which I knew one or the other had, without being able to see who was cueing records up you couldn't tell which of the duo were playing what. And that's meant as a big compliment. Not only did they play some great sounds, but they did it well as a team, and filled the floor. Congratulations to both of you, you did yourselves, and the dancers proud. Playlists please !

Roger Banks followed up with a storming R & B set, and again he managed to pull one record out that I thought "I've got to get one of those". Of course I didn't write it down, and now I've forgotten entirely what it was !

Had a good chat with Toby from Letchworth around now, and if you're reading this Toby, I'd love those mags you mentioned, and the beer's on me next time we meet.

Butch followed on with a set that only Butch could play. Awesome. I felt quite sorry for Marco Santucci having to follow Butch, it's not easy when he's in the mood to rip the place apart. No problem for Marco though, a great set that pricked my ears up several times, and certainly included several classy tunes that you just don't hear often enough. Again, playlist please.

Now Shane from Sheffield is a great lad, but I never realised that he had a fetish for women's clothes......... Actually it was only a T Shirt that he had to borrow because his own was a bit sweaty, mind you I could understand it if he wanted a pair of Kate's knic.....No we won't go there at all !!!!!!!!!

Back to the dynamic duo, brim full of confidence, and it showed. Great great second set.

Ady the gaffer took over next and because all the spots before him had been rarities and upfront tunes he opted for an Oldies spot, which as is often the case, was the right spot for the right time. Mind you, I did notice one or two unreleased things in the spot towards the end of it as well.

Butch again. Say no more. Then Roger Banks played one of the spots he should play more often. I love some of the R & B things Roger plays, but for his second spot he stayed strictly Soulful, and it was a belter, uptempo, midtempo, unknowns, rarities, and floor fillers, all blended in perfectly.

Marco hit the decks running for his second spot and played thirty minutes of one tempo. UP ! Again, just the right spot for 6.15 am, squeeze the last couple of hours dancing out of them.

Onto Steve and Dave again for their third, and longest spot. It's obvious they have been mates and have DJ'ed together regularly because the difficult bit of following the other deck was again made easy. A nice touch from Steve, during the spot he actually rang Russ Vickers in the States, just to make him jealous !!!

At about 7.30 I made my way back to Euston, with Virgin advertising a one hour 46 minute journey home. It took nearly four hours !!!!!!

Overall though I couldn't let a crap journey home overshadow what had been a wonderful, funny, enjoyable night out at the Valatone and The 100 Club.

Still the number one allnighter in my eyes.

• Replies 35
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Now I remember what happened. Thanks Dave.

And thanks to the DJs, dancers, dealers and soul gurus. It was especially nice to see the legendary paringof Guy and Keb, just chilling out, dancing and enjoying their music.

The South Coast sailors did themselves proud and commiserations to Kolla who looked so poorly she was despatched to bed with a hot toddy and a hot moddy; get well soon honey.

Wonderful write up Dave and many thanks for your kind words which I know Dave will appreciate too.

It was an enjoyable honour to DJ at, what for me, has been the most upfront all-niter in the last 20 years or so.

Really good to see the likes of Heikki, Bev and many others but more importantly a joy to be able to make people dance to the music I love playing. At the end of the day, as a DJ, I think thats what its all about, and nothing else.

Perhaps the word will spread that there is an upfront soul scene in the south.

Many thanks to Ady for giving us a shot. We hope we did you proud. Now how about a South Coast session at next years Cleethorpes;-)

Guest Johnny One Trout

Great write up Dave, it really is a shame we couldn't make it i love Marco's taste in soul and a recent CD i had off Dave and Steve was one of THE BEST i've had in a long while, just glad to hear that that Dobson feller and Mr Horacdell didn't let them down ph34r.gif

Woul love to see a playlist or two, did Dave manage to slip in Backstreet as his guest Oldie??

JoT

Couldn't make this months trip, but Daves review only underlines what i already think, the 100 club is the place where i wanna be, musically and also socially, damn shame last 2 visits i had the Valatone wasn't on, always enjoy that venue.

Well done Steve and Dave, looks like i missed a brilliant night.

Always had my suspicions about that boy Shane. Dave, next thing you know he'll be wearing sling backs and sporting lip gloss ph34r.gif

Always had my suspicions about that boy Shane. Dave, next thing you know he'll be wearing sling backs and sporting lip gloss ph34r.gif

link

Already been done! Now you understand what some of the things I have to put up with.

Guest Chris Waterman

link

Can't really add much more regarding the night but you can check out the shrit and more when Mike puts the pictures up

Chris W

Mr Waterman, you have a lot to learn mate...lol....lol fancy sneaking out of the house after dark, down the drain pipe and he was off to London, sneaky git!

I know he went because he called me on his way down......lol

Well done to Steve and Dave two fantastic guy's who just simply love it, please no pictures in the Dave Abbott galery the man justs loves cameras, just get Mr Waterman up then he will be nailed for being there....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell - NEW CENTURY SOUL CLUB MANCHESTER/SOLAR RADIO.

Guest Trevski

Already been done! Now you understand what some of the things I have to put up with.

link

Know exactly what you mean Kate, we took this pic of him a while ago........

Guest Trevski

link

Know exactly what you mean Kate, we took this pic of him a while ago........

Great write up Dave, it really is a shame we couldn't make it i love Marco's taste in soul and a recent CD i had off Dave and Steve was one of THE BEST i've had in a long while, just glad to hear that that Dobson feller and Mr Horacdell didn't let them down  ph34r.gif

Woul love to see a playlist or two, did Dave manage to slip in Backstreet as his guest Oldie??

JoT

link

Marco's sets were fantastic! blink.gif

No I bloody didnt manage Backstreet. It was sitting up in my box as the last one to play, but ran out of time. Bugger it.

Hi Guys & Gals

well eventually got online today, the US of A, is great, me & the fami;ly are settling down nicely, just wanted to thank Steve & Disco Dave for calling me at 2am (USA time) ph34r.gif to tell me what a great time they were having whilst spinning at the 100 Club & yes I was jealous, but the thought of popping into my local record emporium earlier in the day & walking out with a mint copy of Bottom & Co - Gotta Find A True Love, which the owner actually couldn't be bothered to ring up on the till, so gave it me, didn't make up for not being their,but helped some what !!!

Hope you all had a great time, great review Dave

Russ

a mint copy of Bottom & Co - Gotta Find A True Love

Great to hear you guys are settling in over there, Russ. And even nicer to know there are things like this really do still happen

Not only did they play some great sounds, but they did it well as a team, and filled the floor. Congratulations to both of you, you did yourselves, and the dancers proud. Playlists please !

link

Brilliant write-up Dave and thanks for yours and others kind words. It was a thrill and an honour to play at the 100 - thanks Ady. A most enjoable night - the best i've had at the 100 Club, funnily enough, although now seems very surreal!

Playlist over the 3 sets, not in order, but I know they were definitely the first and last records I played!

Joyce Bennett - New boy - Jaguar

Donna Coleman - Breaking my heart - C/U

Vondors - Look in the mirror - Holiday

Skip Jackson - I'm onto you girl - Dot Mar

Contemplations - Alone with no love - Dontee

Fabulous Dimensions - I cant take it baby - Sapphire

Chryslers/Monarchs - I'm not gonna lose you - Jody

Billy Hambric - She said goodbye - Drum

Casietta George - Don't give up - Audio Gospel

BJ Thomas - Keep it up - Joed

Baby Washington - Get a hold of yourself - UA (uk)

Sunny Ridell - Come out into my world - White Cliffs

Royal Esquires - Aint gonna run - Prix

Delegates of Soul - I'll come running back - Up Look

Greater Experience - Don't forget to remember - Colony 13

Bill Bush - I'm waiting - Ronn

Roy Roberts - Got to have all your love - Bo Ro

Oxford Nights - I'm such a lonely one - Delphi

Cautions - No other way - Shrine

Hyperiods - Why you wanna treat me - Chattahoochie

Thee Midniters - Youre gonna make me cry - Whittier

Peps - My love looks good on you - D-Town

Soul Communicators - Those lonely nights - Fee Bee

Forston & Scott - Sweet Lover - Pzazz

Fantastic set Dave............wow nice records mate, you should DJ more!!!

Then perhaps we will see less photos of you here...lol mind you when you are that good looking i guess the camera's just love you..what's your secret as i always tend to look like a shitbag.

Well done to Steve too, you deserve the quality venues.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Shane.... Give us a kiss!!!!!!!! I really fancy you, i had no idea you have a similar interest to me, we must go out on the town before New Century November gig...lol

Mark Bicknell.

link

Its on Mark!

ooohh what shall I wear?

Shane

Fantastic set Dave............wow nice records mate, you should DJ more!!!

Then perhaps we will see less photos of you here...lol mind you when you are that good looking i guess the camera's just love you..what's your secret as i always tend to look like a shitbag.

Mark - grow your hair long so it covers your face teehee.

In definitely no order:

Mary Wells - Can't you see...... - Atco

Four Pro's - Just another girl - Carla

Vonettes - Touch my heart - Cobblestone (to stop trckster pestering, bless)

Voices Inc - Thinkin' - Columbia

Silky Hargraves - Keep lovin' me ........ - Dearborn

Parisians - Twinkle little star - Demon hot

Ozz & his Spurrlings - Can you qualify - Goldenway

Syng McGowan - Thats what I want - Hope

Paul Sindab - You dropped your candy...... - Hype

Stewart Ames - Angelina oh Angelina - J&W

Isonics - Sugar - Kammy

El Anthony - We've been in love too long - La Cindy

Gloria Taylor - Total disaster - Mercury

Ascots - Another day - Mir a don

Louis Curry - I'll try again tomorrow - M S

Performers - I can't stop you - Mirwood

Marie Knight - You lie so well - Musicor

Jesse Johnson - Left out - Old Town

Freddie Houston - If I had known - Old Town

Chesterfields - You walked away - Phillips

Little Bobby Parker - I won't believe it till I see it - Dub plate

Ballads - I can't see your love - Vee Jay

Star Treks - Gonna need magic - Veep

Maybe one or two omitted, purely through bad memory.

Guest Chris Waterman

Well Mark 'The Cat is well and truly out of the bag' so to speak and its all Kate P's fault, to busy enjoying myself to notice her clicking away with a camera. Also did'nt help falling a sleep in a lay-by in Nottingham after dropping Mick H off.

She is just about talking to me now, well that is if you can count 'Pass the soap'

oh and by the way check out Guy's sideburns

Chris W

Guest Johnny One Trout

I must say you and Mike are doing a sterling job keeping on top of the housework Hen :thumbsup: Don't suppose you fancy poping round ours later we have a sinkful of dishes smile.gif

John