Lenny Curtis Info?

Morning all.

Got one of those going on in my head. Was thiniking about Lenny Curtis and thinking how much like Sam Cooke he sounded! Anyhow after a bit of internet searching I could not find out much about the guy. He had something out with Damita Jo and apart from Nothing etc thats it!

Anyone any info on the man anyone?

I know Nothing was on Spanish Hit, we have the End copy and this Damita Jo song and that seems to be it??

I usually get knocked out by the knowledge on here hope someone can help

Thanks

Steve.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Jimmy Mack’s unique vocal styling and musical talents placed him in high demand throughout the 60’s and 70’s, and has traveled the globe world wide. He has performed with such renowned artists as Sam Cooke, Mary Wells, The Drifters, Ben E King, Wilson Pickett and many many more. He is also the brother of the world renowned R&B legend, the late Wilbert Harrison who was also infamous and on the Bill Board with his mega hit ’Kansas City’. Prior to discovering his vocal abilities he was first known as an awesome professional drummer. He played with his brother Wilbert while recording 'Kansas City', the TKO band & scores of others. Jimmy Mack was also a member of the famed RCA’s recording artist label, the Fabulous Fiestas for which they enjoyed great success with their hit, ’So Fine’. He was also known during the Motown hey days as ‘Lenny Curtis’ with hits such as ‘Nothing Can Help You Now’ & ‘Who You Gonna Run To’ on END records and it continues to be a hit in the UK today. Taking on another persona as 'Geronimo & the Apaches with Galiko Records and the single titled, 'Too Late For Tears & Oh Yes Baby I Love You So''. He also had recording performances with another sibling & was called ‘The Harrison Brothers’ & 'Jim & Bob Harrison'. Jimmy was also a writer & arranger for Motown Records. He continues his infamous talent in the gospel arena and was a featured artist on the Tyscot Record label with his cousin, the Prince of Gospel, Pastor John P Kee. Their duet recording of the song, "Be Ready" (Inner City Mass Choir) was nominated for a Grammy Award in 2000. When not singing, writing and composing, Jimmy is an avid recreational carpenter and lawn perfectionist.

I cut this off the internet Steve. He,s writing about Jimmy Mack Harrison who was the brother of Wilbert Harrison of "Kansas City" fame. Wether this article is true i couldn't say as others say Lenny was an East Coast artist probably New York who didn't record in Detroit. Hope it is of interst to you.

Nige.

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Bloody hell Nige that is incredible and bloody prompt. Is Jimmy Mack Harrison anything to do with the Palmer guy I now wonder although the style is not similar? You have got me going now. Thank You so much. I must confess I knew about the Geronimo release just forgot to add it on my intro.

Top stuff.

Social source share

• 6 months later...
Guest Dave Turner

Jimmy Mack’s unique vocal styling and musical talents placed him in high demand throughout the 60’s and 70’s, and has traveled the globe world wide. He has performed with such renowned artists as Sam Cooke, Mary Wells, The Drifters, Ben E King, Wilson Pickett and many many more. He is also the brother of the world renowned R&B legend, the late Wilbert Harrison who was also infamous and on the Bill Board with his mega hit ’Kansas City’. Prior to discovering his vocal abilities he was first known as an awesome professional drummer. He played with his brother Wilbert while recording 'Kansas City', the TKO band & scores of others. Jimmy Mack was also a member of the famed RCA’s recording artist label, the Fabulous Fiestas for which they enjoyed great success with their hit, ’So Fine’. He was also known during the Motown hey days as ‘Lenny Curtis’ with hits such as ‘Nothing Can Help You Now’ & ‘Who You Gonna Run To’ on END records and it continues to be a hit in the UK today. Taking on another persona as 'Geronimo & the Apaches with Galiko Records and the single titled, 'Too Late For Tears & Oh Yes Baby I Love You So''. He also had recording performances with another sibling & was called ‘The Harrison Brothers’ & 'Jim & Bob Harrison'. Jimmy was also a writer & arranger for Motown Records. He continues his infamous talent in the gospel arena and was a featured artist on the Tyscot Record label with his cousin, the Prince of Gospel, Pastor John P Kee. Their duet recording of the song, "Be Ready" (Inner City Mass Choir) was nominated for a Grammy Award in 2000. When not singing, writing and composing, Jimmy is an avid recreational carpenter and lawn perfectionist.

I cut this off the internet Steve. He,s writing about Jimmy Mack Harrison who was the brother of Wilbert Harrison of "Kansas City" fame. Wether this article is true i couldn't say as others say Lenny was an East Coast artist probably New York who didn't record in Detroit. Hope it is of interst to you.

Nige.

Lenny Curtis is Jimmy Harrison brother of well known Sam Cooke stylist Bobby Harris

Jimmy confirms this on John Ridley's Bobby Harris page

https://www.sirshambling.com/artists_2012/H/bobby_harris/index.php

:thumbsup:

Social source share

• 6 years later...
On 09/01/2013 at 11:45, Steve Foran said:

Morning all.

Got one of those going on in my head. Was thiniking about Lenny Curtis and thinking how much like Sam Cooke he sounded! Anyhow after a bit of internet searching I could not find out much about the guy. He had something out with Damita Jo and apart from Nothing etc thats it!

Anyone any info on the man anyone?

I know Nothing was on Spanish Hit, we have the End copy and this Damita Jo song and that seems to be it??

I usually get knocked out by the knowledge on here hope someone can help

Thanks

Steve.

So many said mi dad sounds like Sam cook he did sing for him

On 02/08/2013 at 08:14, Guest Dave Turner said:

Lenny Curtis is Jimmy Harrison brother of well known Sam Cooke stylist Bobby Harris

Jimmy confirms this on John Ridley's Bobby Harris page

https://www.sirshambling.com/artists_2012/H/bobby_harris/index.php

:thumbsup:

Nice story of mi daddy

On 10/01/2013 at 23:16, jimmy mack said:

doesn't sound like sam cooke the nearest would be louis williams of the ovations

No dam cook

Social source share

On 09/01/2013 at 04:22, Steve Foran said:

Bloody hell Nige that is incredible and bloody prompt. Is Jimmy Mack Harrison anything to do with the Palmer guy I now wonder although the style is not similar? You have got me going now. Thank You so much. I must confess I knew about the Geronimo release just forgot to add it on my intro.

Top stuff.

I would say there is NO chance, at all, that Jimmy "Mack" Harrison, AKA Lenny Curtis, is the guy who used the name "Jimmy Mack" to record for Detroit's Palmer Records. Jimmy Harrison, like his brothers, Wilbert and Bobby (AKA Bobby Harris), were born and raised in North Carolina, and worked in the music business, mostly out of New York.  Lenny Curtis' voice on his End and Galiko 45s sounds absolutely NOTHING like Jimmy Mack on the Palmer cuts.

I've been told by several people, and have only read that Palmer's "Jimmy Mack", was Chicago songwriter/producer Jimmy McDonald (not to be confused with the Gospel piano/organist of the same name).  The latter worked mainly in Chicago, but worked occasionally in Detroit, as evidenced by his Palmer session, and his being seen at Motown.  Every young, African-American trying to make it in the music business, probably went to Motown when in Detroit, to see if they could make a connection.  He has been said to have done some work there.  So, maybe he sold Jobete Music a song or two, or maybe he played as a fill-in musician in a couple recording sessions.

Social source share

12 hours ago, Robbk said:

I would say there is NO chance, at all, that Jimmy "Mack" Harrison, AKA Lenny Curtis, is the guy who used the name "Jimmy Mack" to record for Detroit's Palmer Records. Jimmy Harrison, like his brothers, Wilbert and Bobby (AKA Bobby Harris), were born and raised in North Carolina, and worked in the music business, mostly out of New York.  Lenny Curtis' voice on his End and Galiko 45s sounds absolutely NOTHING like Jimmy Mack on the Palmer cuts.

I've been told by several people, and have only read that Palmer's "Jimmy Mack", was Chicago songwriter/producer Jimmy McDonald (not to be confused with the Gospel piano/organist of the same name).  The latter worked mainly in Chicago, but worked occasionally in Detroit, as evidenced by his Palmer session, and his being seen at Motown.  Every young, African-American trying to make it in the music business, probably went to Motown when in Detroit, to see if they could make a connection.  He has been said to have done some work there.  So, maybe he sold Jobete Music a song or two, or maybe he played as a fill-in musician in a couple recording sessions.

Robb, I was told that Jimmy Mack was from The Charades (MGM) (John Mach)

Mind you that was a while ago

Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Robb, I was told that Jimmy Mack was from The Charades (MGM) (John Mach)

Mind you that was a while ago

Wow!  I've never heard THAT!  I'd be more inclined to believe Jimmy Mack came from The Midwest, rather than The East Coast.  Is Mike Valvano still alive.  He ran that Palmer session.  He would be able to tell us who Mack was.

Social source share

14 minutes ago, Robbk said:

Wow!  I've never heard THAT!  I'd be more inclined to believe Jimmy Mack came from The Midwest, rather than The East Coast.  Is Mike Valvano still alive.  He ran that Palmer session.  He would be able to tell us who Mack was.

Sorry to throw this spanner in the works Robb, I spent so many years chatting at "soul" nights and it was just somewhere at the back of my mind and thought would just see what others thought (I wish I could remember when and who)

Sadly Mike passed April 10th 2002

I wonder if Gilly knows as he was great friend with Harry Baulk who was friends with Mike ?

I have pm'd him

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

1 minute ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

There was also the suggestion a short time back that Jimmy Mack was Jimm(e)y Soul Clark.

It might have been someone expressing an opinion, rather than a sharing of sound knowledge. Does this hold any water?

Thought it may have been on this site, but I can't find it.

This is slightly embarrassing, what I can remember (I hate getting old) is that the conversation started with me asking if the song Jimmy Mack might have been them singing about him and that he had left Detroit and one of them perhaps had dated him or had a crush

I was stopped of course in my tracks and told about the record being about a Vietnam "boy" and Berry had shelved it in 1965 and the released it in 1967

The things we come up with eh 😀

I will be able to sleep better if we can find out

Social source share

Jimmy Mack on Palmer I think most of it is guess work and assumptions.  Every lead has been dismissed and no one alive from the Detroit scene knows who it is.  We do know the guy one Hamster and the West Coast Jimmy Mack but the Detroit one is still puzzling everyone.  I've never heard it said the guy out of the Charades was he, again what was the basis of the claim or is it just an assumption?

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

14 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Jimmy Mack on Palmer I think most of it is guess work and assumptions.  Every lead has been dismissed and no one alive from the Detroit scene knows who it is.  We do know the guy one Hamster and the West Coast Jimmy Mack but the Detroit one is still puzzling everyone.  I've never heard it said the guy out of the Charades was he, again what was the basis of the claim or is it just an assumption?

Chit chat as mentioned Chalky above

Social source share

6 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

This is slightly embarrassing, what I can remember (I hate getting old) is that the conversation started with me asking if the song Jimmy Mack might have been them singing about him and that he had left Detroit.

The song "Jimmy Mack" has nothing to do with the artist. H-D-H came up with the idea when they attended an Awards ceremony and the song

"He's So Fine" won for song of the year. He had recently passed away and his mother accepted the award and said "Ronnie Mack when are you

coming back"  which gave H-D-H the idea for the song.

soul Ronnie

Social source share

13 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Sorry to throw this spanner in the works Robb, I spent so many years chatting at "soul" nights and it was just somewhere at the back of my mind and thought would just see what others thought (I wish I could remember when and who)

Sadly Mike passed April 10th 2002

I wonder if Gilly knows as he was great friend with Harry Baulk who was friends with Mike ?

I have pm'd him

Gilly came back to me and (inadvertently) directed me to this thread.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/archive/index.php/t-5888.html

Social source share

7 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

So, The Hamster singer was Jimmy McMillan, and I confused him with Chicago's Jimmy McDonald.  So, the stories I heard about the Chicago producer, were probably about Jimmy McDonald.  But, apparently, Bob Abrahamian never heard anything about McDonald singing.  Nevertheless, that doesn't mean he never recorded.  How many people knew that Mickey Stevenson made recordings? 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Weird world we live in. After Grant (RIP) gave me the link I made contact with Lenny (Jimmy Mack Harrison). He is married to Darlene who is the sister of a member of the Tams. They all appear to be in music. Jimmy and Darlene are living in Charlotte, N Carolina. They record as Jimmy and Darlene. They feature in the local music charts and perform locally. They recut Nothing as a duet last year. Nice version! They are aware of the Northern connection and were interviewed by Kev Roberts a couple of years back. 

They send me their latest CDs and I think they are really good! 

FYI.   

Social source share

On 13/10/2019 at 14:10, Blackpoolsoul said:

Bob Abrahamian said that all the Detroit people he talked to didn't remember ANY Jimmy Mack appearing in Detroit. 

The same was told me by Ralph and Russ Terrana, who were running Terra-Shirma Studios in 1966, when Mike Terry recorded Jimmy Mack there.  They said they didn't remember that session, and even if they did, they wouldn't have heard his real (non-stage name).  Bob A. said that a large stock of that Palmer Record was found in Chicago, so, it could possibly have been James Mack's, and that James Mack (arranger on several Classics' sessions, and who arranged for others, like Tyrone Davis, MAY have been a singing member of The Classics (but, he never heard of any Chicago record by him to compare voices).  So, maybe Ron Murphy was right that Jimmy Mack came from Chicago.  Maybe James Mack is also the same as the rumoured Chicago artist, Jimmy (James) McDonald? 

Unfortunately, most of the people we'd guess were at the recording session, Mike Terry, Mike Valvano, Russ Terrana, Ralph Terrana, Dennis Coffey, Bob Babbit, Ray Monette, Marty Coleman(co-producer) are either deceased (1st two), or were already asked, and said either  they don't remember the session, or they never heard his real name, or where he came from.  Probably he only real hope is contacting Marty Coleman (AKA Cohen), IF he is still alive.  He was a former member of The Valadiers, and co-produced and co-wrote many songs together with Mike Valvano.  There is also a small possibility that the songs other Co-writer Bassoline (who wrote many other songs together with Valvano and Coleman, may have been at the recording session, or, at least, may know who Jimmy Mack was, or from where he came.

soul Bob Abrahamian Post James Mack

Social source share

6 hours ago, Robbk said:

Bob Abrahamian said that all the Detroit people he talked to didn't remember ANY Jimmy Mack appearing in Detroit. 

The same was told me by Ralph and Russ Terrana, who were running Terra-Shirma Studios in 1966, when Mike Terry recorded Jimmy Mack there.  They said they didn't remember that session, and even if they did, they wouldn't have heard his real (non-stage name).  Bob A. said that a large stock of that Palmer Record was found in Chicago, so, it could possibly have been James Mack's, and that James Mack (arranger on several Classics' sessions, and who arranged for others, like Tyrone Davis, MAY have been a singing member of The Classics (but, he never heard of any Chicago record by him to compare voices).  So, maybe Ron Murphy was right that Jimmy Mack came from Chicago.  Maybe James Mack is also the same as the rumoured Chicago artist, Jimmy (James) McDonald? 

Unfortunately, most of the people we'd guess were at the recording session, Mike Terry, Mike Valvano, Russ Terrana, Ralph Terrana, Dennis Coffey, Bob Babbit, Ray Monette, Marty Coleman(co-producer) are either deceased (1st two), or were already asked, and said either  they don't remember the session, or they never heard his real name, or where he came from.  Probably he only real hope is contacting Marty Coleman (AKA Cohen), IF he is still alive.  He was a former member of The Valadiers, and co-produced and co-wrote many songs together with Mike Valvano.  There is also a small possibility that the songs other Co-writer Bassoline (who wrote many other songs together with Valvano and Coleman, may have been at the recording session, or, at least, may know who Jimmy Mack was, or from where he came.

soul Bob Abrahamian Post James Mack

This may or may not (again) be helpful, at least a history worth a read.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/134287523/james-l_-mack

Social source share

2 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

This may or may not (again) be helpful, at least a history worth a read.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/134287523/james-l_-mack

He definitely is the Chicago producer/arranger who worked with Tyrone Davis and Jerry Butler.  But there's no reference to any singing at all,- not even as a youth.  He seems to have been way too busy as a musician to have been a singer, too.  I doubt that he was a member of The Classics.   So, I doubt that he sang "My World Is On Fire".  I guess we'll probably never know.  But maybe we should try to get ahold of Marty Coleman and Bassoline, IF they are still alive.  They might remember that session. 

There was also Jimmy McHugh.  But his voice was a LOT different from Jimmy Mack's.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 15/10/2019 at 08:05, Robbk said:

He definitely is the Chicago producer/arranger who worked with Tyrone Davis and Jerry Butler.  But there's no reference to any singing at all,- not even as a youth.  He seems to have been way too busy as a musician to have been a singer, too.  I doubt that he was a member of The Classics.   So, I doubt that he sang "My World Is On Fire".  I guess we'll probably never know.  But maybe we should try to get ahold of Marty Coleman and Bassoline, IF they are still alive.  They might remember that session. 

There was also Jimmy McHugh.  But his voice was a LOT different from Jimmy Mack's.

Cholly Bassoline is on Facebook. I asked him THE question some time ago but didn’t get a response.

Worth a try anyone else? (Edit I’ve asked someone else who knows Cholly if they would speak to him - will post any response)

Palmer label was owned by Handleman Distributors if that is any use.

I asked Popcorn about Palmer and he couldn’t recall the owner(s) or Jimmy Mack. They issued People’s Choice and distributed Jimmy Soul Clark as we all know.

Edited by David Meikle
See edit note
Social source share

40 minutes ago, David Meikle said:

Cholly Bassoline is on Facebook. I asked him THE question some time ago but didn’t get a response.

Worth a try anyone else? (Edit I’ve asked someone else who knows Cholly if they would speak to him - will post any response)

I asked Popcorn about Palmer and he couldn’t recall the owner(s) or Jimmy Mack. They issued People’s Choice and distributed Jimmy Soul Clark as we all know.

Kris Peterson is listed as one of his friends, might be worth contacting her

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Kris Peterson is listed as one of his friends, might be worth contacting her

I used to have long conversations with Kris on SDF.  She hasn't showed up there for several years.  None of Ralph and Russ Terrana, Dennis Coffey, Clay MacMurray, Spyder Turner, Jack Ashford, or any of the other people active in Detroit in the mid and late '60s, who posted on Soulful Detroit could answer that question when we first asked it back in 2001.  The problem is that I'm not on ANY of the new media (Facebook, Instagram, and the like).

Social source share

22 hours ago, David Meikle said:

I also reached out to Cholly but like you no response. It didn’t look like he was very active on FB or he didn’t have much idea how to use it?

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Chalky said:

I also reached out to Cholly but like you no response. It didn’t look like he was very active on FB or he didn’t have much idea how to use it?

Kris has come back to me again and tells me she has contacted Cholly and asked him if he will write to me. She also provided Cholly with the link to the song on YouTube. Any news from Cholly will be uploaded ASAP.

I thanked Kris for trying to help.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Chalky said:

Ha! Ha!  He's not the only one!!!  🤣

2 hours ago, David Meikle said:

Kris has come back to me again and tells me she has contacted Cholly and asked him if he will write to me. She also provided Cholly with the link to the song on YouTube. Any news from Cholly will be uploaded ASAP.

I thanked Kris for trying to help.

Thanks Dave.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 years later...
  • New Members

Hello Everyone I'm trying to figure out on the track Too Late For Tears who wrote the song Did Lenny Curtis write this Track and did he sell this song to Andrea Litkie and Erwin just trying to figure things out because someone used this track in the Series Stranger Things Episode 3 I was shocked just need help to see who own the rights to this song thanks 

Social source share

On 09/01/2013 at 12:10, nrc said:

Nige.

Very informative Nige 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!