• Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

the champion

old as the hills ,,but what a record

when u have nt heard for ages,,still takes u back to the day...

i bet this was magic at wigan and the like with a packed floor and the floor buzzing

or maybe not?

comments

Mark,

it was immense! About the same time as The Brothers-Are You Ready For This, another monster instrumental at that time was Hamilton Bohannon - Foot Stomping Music - never heard it since I dont think.

Alan

Social source share

the champion

i bet this was magic at wigan and the like with a packed floor and the floor buzzing

or maybe not?

comments

Just had a thought mate - i think Cochise was a bigger stomper instrumental bit before the Champion!!!!!!

Obvious which one has stood the test of time though.

Alan

Social source share

the champion

or maybe not?

comments

Mark,

You are correct. It was massive. People used to clap at the obvious places, but also stamp their feet to it as they danced. Just right for Wigan.

Brian B

Social source share

Mark,

it was immense! About the same time as The Brothers-Are You Ready For This, another monster instrumental at that time was Hamilton Bohannon - Foot Stomping Music - never heard it since I dont think.

Alan

Champion was always my favourite record from 75 to about 78...still get a shiver when I hear it. But Alan, I'm amazed at what you just said because I was in the car yesterday and this track came on and I thought "that would have been perfect back then" and I just couldn't place it until right at the end when the chorus sang "foot, foot stomping music"...absolutely brilliant and needs reactivating!

Social source share

Champion was always my favourite record from 75 to about 78...still get a shiver when I hear it. But Alan, I'm amazed at what you just said because I was in the car yesterday and this track came on and I thought "that would have been perfect back then" and I just couldn't place it until right at the end when the chorus sang "foot, foot stomping music"...absolutely brilliant and needs reactivating!

Agreed on that Pete. Funny thing is i'm surprised how few copies of the Hamilton Bohannon turn up in old Wigan collections, or perhaps i've just passed them by? Do remember the whole place shaking to these tunes back then - happy days!!

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Got myself a nice Demo recently and played it at Winsford last Saturday night to a good dance floor reaction.

Steve

Yes we heard it Steve, also someone played a Willie Mitchell tune very similar to the Champion, but I didn't catch the title, do you know what it was? ranting_1.gif
Social source share

Aternooon of the Rhino was huge at Wigan and the clapping was amazing, the Champion was also a great floor filler and still sounds good today

My personal fave ever is Stick By Me Baby, The Salavadors, awsome dance record and unfortunately, stupidly rare!

Social source share

the champion

or maybe not?

comments

loved it then and love it now whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Oggie

loved it then and love it now whistling.gif

I read in The New Breed magazine some time ago that The Champion and other Willie Mitchell tunes like Secret Home,That Driving beat,

20-75, Everything is gonna be alright, were tunes played by Roger Eagle at the Brazenose St. Twisted Wheel.

Oggie.

Social source share

Guest NS101

Never came out on USA HI did it. Was off a 6 track or LP. Which makes the finding of it to play in the first place a f'ing miracle. So the UK release on London makes it unique in the 45 collecting world. 1976 release or thereabouts. A uk collector mate got this on a Belgium picture cover release which was also from the same time. So the question must be how on earth did it get a foreign release. For their popcorn scene? Anyway, i love it, but is any Dj likely to play it nowadays. I get the impression that instrumentals don't get much action nowadays.

The Trainee

Social source share

Never came out on USA HI did it. Was off a 6 track or LP. Which makes the finding of it to play in the first place a f'ing miracle. So the UK release on London makes it unique in the 45 collecting world. 1976 release or thereabouts. A uk collector mate got this on a Belgium picture cover release which was also from the same time. So the question must be how on earth did it get a foreign release. For their popcorn scene? Anyway, i love it, but is any Dj likely to play it nowadays. I get the impression that instrumentals don't get much action nowadays.

The Trainee

On Hi 6 trakc EP,yellow vinyl,actualy whistling.gif US too!!!

Social source share

The Trainee

Well it charted in 76, top 50 only, so they'd have gone ahead with the release overseas - same as Chubby Checker - Just Don't Know, made the lower reaches of the charts on reissue so came out in Spain on London. This is a bit like Out On The Floor by Dobie Gray, when it was issued by Black Magic it did so well that it was released in the States on a label called Thunderbird, then people started thinking that it was a 60's local label issue! Also Harold melvin - Get Out, issued on Phil LA of Soul to try and match it's UK success in 75.

Social source share

Mercy by Willie Mitchell was a favourite at Goodfoot. I and at least one other Glasgow DJ play his version of Wllie Dixon's My Babe and I still Love The Champion and That Driving Beat.

i must dig out my Hamilton Bohannon singles.

Social source share

The Trainee

Here`s the USA "HI" 6 track 45,

Dave f.....................

post-2848-1146324209.jpg post-2848-1146324263.jpg

Social source share

Mercy by Willie Mitchell was a favourite at Goodfoot. I and at least one other Glasgow DJ play his version of Wllie Dixon's My Babe and I still Love The Champion and That Driving Beat.

i must dig out my Hamilton Bohannon singles.

Willie Mitchell also did good version of Barefootin' - nice instrumental.

Alan

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Little Richie - Just another heartache, always used to get me close to just another heartattack.

Absolutely sublime record. Does anyone have a sound file? I can't find one on the net anywhere. :yes:

Matt

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!