Buying 45's In Quantity

Just wonderin...are there still places in the US were you can buy quantity of soul 45's ?....Im not talking the ebay 'lots' which appear on the whole to be pot luck & contain a lot of lesser grade & other genre 45's...

In this day n age, I wouldnt think there was any chance of finding 'known' collectors items, but just wondered if you could pick up quality soul records in bulk still ?.

I missed the hey day where you could do this, both here in the UK & in the US, as I was quite late into my collecting phase of my soul journey, being mostly just a dancer & listener....

Best Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Absolutely....it's just the deals are getting more and more personal. Word of mouth, rather than just randomly turning up to a spot and negotiating.

Towards the end of last year, a buddy of mine had a major score on the west coast....all negotiated directly, so I certainly didn't know about it until the deal was done. All kinds of high end 45's in the collection too, like the Superbs on Dore, Chucky Thurman on Thermoe Blast, Scorpio and His People etc.

So yeah, it can be done, but networking like crazy is gonna yield the fruit.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

@Jim,

It's been fun, but a lot of work. There have been some real gems in the store stock such as Bobby Sheen's Something New To Do (which I sold on rather than keeping, which I regret).

There are tons and tons of Atlantic 45s in there, loads of Ray Charles, Impressions, etc. The biggest time is spent sorting the chaff from the wheat of the collection.

Cheers.

Social source share

I remember a dealer / shop owner in Sydney asked somebody I knew along to a big warehouse in Fort Lauderdale in Florida, as she was good on the soul and funk stuff, from what I can recollect it was big deal for quantity.

when she returned she told me she got one copy of every release she found, there were tons of multiple copies... job well done

M

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!