Youth Clubs & Youth Clubs Soul Top 10

Simsy

St Maries Youthclub in Bath Street Southport, 1971. As well as the chart stuff like Maggie May, etc there was Little Piece Of Leather(Before the re release), The Snake, Scratchy, Mitch Ryder, Shirley Ellis Soultime, Baby Do The Philly Dog, Show Me, Mr Bang Bang Man, Walkin Up A One Way Sreet, As well as Al Capone, Big Five, Wet Dream.

13 years old in a Barathea, check Ben Sherman, Prince Of Wales Checks and Comos. That was until I got my crombie, penny rounds & Tonics. Bottles of Old English cider, and opening a Party 4 with a brick :thumbsup:

Good times whistling.gif

A bit dangerous, because I was with a different gang during the week at school.

Paul

Social source share

• Replies 65
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest lolmil

Hear a lot of stories about them. There wasn't anything like that round my way. Is this a northern thing? Did they play all northern?

How many of you went to them? What were the hours? What was the age group? Are they still going?

The one I went to was QPYC (Queens Park Youth Club) in Wrexham, in the days when you went from about 13 to 18, normal youth club nights Tuesday to Friday but on Mondays was "dance night". I think we were quite lucky as alternative weeks we had Sam Soul (as he was known) and Brian Ellis. I suppose I was lead a bit into soul music having a few older brother who was into Motown & The Drifters etc. at the time. Picture it, 14 years old, never really been out of the street except for school, going to my first "dance" night in the club and Sam is the guest dj palying stuff like JJ Barnes - Real Humdinger, Sapphires - Gotta Have Your Love, Tams - Hey Girl and Velvelettes - These Things and all these older people filling the floor to every sound, how could you not get hooked on this music. Of course you had what was known as your posers (really these were people you aspired to be like) and in our club it was a guy called Frank O'neil, what a dancer and dresser he was, always immaculatley turned out. For lads, can you remember building up that courage for your first dance whistling.gif , you would tap the girl on the shoulder and before she had time to turn round you were going ten to the dozen :thumbsup::lol: . Anyway, I could go on all night reminiscing here is ten from 1972 to 1975 and not in any particular order

JJ Barnes - Real Humdinger

Sapphires - Gotta Have Your Love

Marvin Gaye - Little Darling

The Tams - Hey Girl Don't Bother Me

The Tams - Be Young Be Foolish

Velvelettes - These Things

Rosco Robinson - That's Enough

Betty Everett - Getting Mighty Crowded

Platters - With This Ring

Jimmy James - A Man Like Me

and loads of other fantastic youth club memories.

bloody hell, where's me Tardis!!

Social source share

well here is my ten from the early 70's 70/1/2

6 x 6 earl van dyke

band of gold freda payne

al capone prince buster

i cant help myself 4 tops

bernadette 4 tops

funky street arthur connely

i spy for the FB! jamo thomas

steam na na na na na hey hey kiss him goodbye?

tempataions my girll

war edwin starr

as my memory is shit i might have put wrong tunes in for the years in but who cares

there were many more, 73 is not is not inc as by then i was was going to northern nights at the pendulam@ MSG, blue rooms sale, blackpool mecca did not get to wigan until early 74 at the tender age of 16 with my big brother and his mates, steve riley john hilel john seymour and a few others from the ashton stalybridge area, my brother worked with steve riley that is how he got to know the asthon lads.

mark

Social source share

The gig;Raw soul..................... :huh:shite just seen its top ten!!,well this should be there.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Once again it would seem the north had the best to offer the youth of the day. Spoke to a couple of people here (southerners obviously) in their late forties. Both went to youth clubs, neither had music, just table tennis, stuff like that.

Get out of it. You had it made down south.

We had poxy little church halls filled with moody kids and knackered pool tables.

I know for a fact that in London they had massive halls filled with really cool stuff and populated by hip-and-groovy gangs that looked like a mini United Nations.

You even had your own big red double decker buses for pity's sake!

Social source share

Get out of it. You had it made down south.

Not round our way Beeb.

Just feel if I had been exposed to the Tams, Johnny Johnson, Temps etc in my formative teens I could have got into this wonderful music earlier. :wicked:

Thank God for the Mod movement, or who know's where I would have ended up? Simsy the Rock fan! :ohmy::wicked:

Social source share

We had a few brilliant venues/ ballrooms that would have put many a big niter to shame

the youth Nights at the massive Plaza Ballroom Tynemouth (a.k.a Maxwells nigtspot) Mondays and Thursdays were brilliant, hosted by Captin Groovy (groovy Trev record seller at Rumbelows North Shields where we could all buy or reissues or new releases whatever we could afford )

Sounds I remember being big

Frankie Valli - the night

Frankie Valli - You're Ready Now

Judy Street - What

Idris Muhammad - could heaven ever be like this

Andre Brasser - The Kid

Flaming emeralds - have some every body

Soul twins - quick change artist

Wayne Gibson - Under my Thumb

jeanette harper - Pick me up and put me in your Pocket

Popcorn Wylie - Rosemary what happened

Mitch Ryder - Breakout

Captuin Groovy wopuld always start the Northern spot with Youre'ready know and the kids just bombed for the floor over tables you name it ...it was a fantastic atmsophere

another couple of biggies were the bath assembly rooms Tynemouth

willington quay working mens club tuesday nights - (my nights out with the wallsend boys paul rowe and co)

Geeoooordie

Social source share

We had a few brilliant venues/ ballrooms that would have put many a big niter to shame

the youth Nights at the massive Plaza Ballroom Tynemouth (a.k.a Maxwells nigtspot) Mondays and Thursdays were brilliant, hosted by Captin Groovy (groovy Trev record seller at Rumbelows North Shields where we could all buy or reissues or new releases whatever we could afford )

Sounds I remember being big

Frankie Valli - the night

Frankie Valli - You're Ready Now

Judy Street - What

Idris Muhammad - could heaven ever be like this

Andre Brasser - The Kid

Flaming emeralds - have some every body

Soul twins - quick change artist

Wayne Gibson - Under my Thumb

jeanette harper - Pick me up and put me in your Pocket

Popcorn Wylie - Rosemary what happened

Mitch Ryder - Breakout

Captuin Groovy wopuld always start the Northern spot with Youre'ready know and the kids just bombed for the floor over tables you name it ...it was a fantastic atmsophere

another couple of biggies were the bath assembly rooms Tynemouth

willington quay working mens club tuesday nights - (my nights out with the wallsend boys paul rowe and co)

Geeoooordie

y i :wicked:

I don't know that they would have played anything decent if there had of been a youth club in my locale.

On my Hi Fidelity record player of that time I remember was stuff like The Beatles, Searchers, Amazing Darts ( :ohmy: ) Blondie etc ...

Social source share

I was going to youth clubs here in Middlesbrough 6 nights a week to hear Northern Soul.All the older guy's were going to Wigan week in week out and bringing all the top tunes back with them and letting the local dj's play them out.

Favorites- Beechwood,YMCA,Thorntree,Kader,Sacred Heart,The Marist.

Great memory's,Great Music & Great Girl's :wicked::ohmy:

Social source share

Following on from another string, lets be having your youth club top tens. Should give an insight to when we all grew up. Mine not an all time top ten but here's a few from way back when

Joe Simon Step by step

Formations At the top of the stairs

Prince Buster Al Capone

O'jays Love train

Millie Jackson My man is a sweet man

Parliments Don't be sore at me

Junior Campbell Sweet illusion

Edwin Starr War

Isley Brothers Who's that lady

Four Tops Same old song

'ere! DT, that looks like my playlist from my mobile days in S-O-T.

U missed "A man like me" Jimmy James

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Our 'youth club' was a school disco at Alderman Smith school, Nuneaton. It was 1978 and i was twelve, some of the older kids at our school and other schools were regularly going to Wigan and i think the DJ at the youth club was also an attendee or at least he had some idea of what to play. There would always be a fifteen minute or so slot of northern every week, which almost always included the same records or similar:

Out on the floor

The Champion

Nine Times out of Ten

On a Magic Carpet Ride

The Snake

If You Loved Me (massive at our school disco)

Time

Cochise

Hey-Soh-Lo-Ney

Coloured Man

If you ever go to any disco at a working men's club in Nuneaton, whether for a birthday or wedding, anniversary etc.. you'll always hear at least three northern from the list above and always several dancers in their 50s remembering the good old days. :wicked:

M.

Social source share

Talking of clothes we wore, i was watching the 'Starsky & Hutch' remake on dvd the other night ( great tongue in cheek movie :yes: ), anyone remember wearing 'Starsky' jackets ? :yes:

I had a beaut, just like the real one, used to wear it with brown patch pocket 'Oxford Bags'. I was short & on the tubby side so by the time my bags had been turned up, the patch pockets were by my calfs, which, seeing as you had to have you hands in the patch pockets at all times, i must have walked like the missing link ! :P Thank god video haden't been invented !

Records i can remember from our local 'Dinesy Disco' ;

Cochise

Seven Days Too Long

Goodbye Nothin' To Say

The Night

There's A Ghost In My House

Nutbush City Limits

Keep On Dancin' (Bay City Rollers)

Swing Your Daddy

Under My Thumb

Heaven In The Backseat Of My Cadallac

Under Your Powerful Love (before it became a northern smash)

Find My Way (")

Law Of The Land - Alfie Kahn Orch

Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel

Young Hearts Run Free

Out On The Floor

Blowing My Mind To Pieces (with the wind noises)

I Got The Fever

The Hustle, The Latin Hustle & all the other Hustle spin offs

Sliced Tomatoes

E.t.c, E.t.c

Wonderful carefree times !! :D

Social source share

Full sysemsof the day.... Cloud double decks with built in amp, speakers and the "light show"....

LOOK LEFT

NOT SAYING IM OLD BUT MY YOOF CLUB WASNT BUILT,

very old bakelite DJ set.

i don't know how old they are, but it must be from between 1930 - 1950.

the set is in a fantastic state, on the pics you see them as they are right now,uncleand because

i did'nt use them for years,but still, they look greate.

the set is in fully working order,you just have to plug and play.

the table on the left plays with a steel needle and the one on the right has a normal element.

each one has a light to chaince records in the dark, and a reservoir to put in the used needles.

i can not tell which factory has made it, but the wooden box where they are build

in has a brass sing with the name ODHNER.

:yes::yes:

Social source share

chaddesden derby early to mid 70,s youth clubs st phillips, lees brook and spondon

cats eyes-life

mr penguin-lunar funk

reach out-new york city (not heard this for years)

marching out of your life-betty baker

whooly bully-sam the sham

mother in law- ernie k doe (lots of teds came to our youth clubs)

sex machine-james brown

sweet happiness- newby and johnson

i dig everthing about you-the mob

honky tonk-james brown

also bubbling around 75 under was funky eight corners on all platinum as none of us had ton of dynamite, :shades:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!