Where Did You Get Your Plastic?

Citizen P

Just out of interest,when you first started buying/collecting where'd you get em from.

Deep in the last century (1972) when I first stumbled across Rare Soul,at the wonderful Pendulum,i don't remember too many lists apart from Brian 45 Philips,Soul Bowl(but I think that was a touch later) & the back page of Blues & Soul.

In Manchester we were a bit spoiled we had.

Ralphs (infamous)

Spin Inn

Hime & Addison

Rare Records

& Global, --that wasn't really a shop more a counter in a dusty old warehouse where you would be presented with a list of records at varying prices from £1 up.

I bought some nice stuff from there "blind" but I would love to see some of the lists now to see what was missed.

Ah memories(already fading)

Over to you.

Tony

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Barnabys recordings in Gillingham High Street (or woolworths  whistling.gif )

link

Brian Selby and John Brattan at Syd Booths, Mansfield 1969 just before they departed and formed Selectadisc, Nottingham.

Check out the old Record Haven list in the latest NSOUL, boy those prices back then!

Social source share

Mansfield 1969

whistling.gif That's the year I was born !!!

I obviously started a lot later - a couple of lucky finds in a charity shop in Corstorphine, Edinburgh after school one day in 1983 and I joined a couple of mailing lists inc. Pat Brady's soon after that.

Social source share

whistling.gif That's the year I was born !!! 

I obviously started a lot later - a couple of lucky finds in a charity shop in Corstorphine, Edinburgh after school one day in 1983 and I joined a couple of mailing lists inc. Pat Brady's soon after that.

link

Kolla,

A real older 'Empress of Soul' not like me....17 next birthday!

Social source share

A little shop called "Violet May's Records" here in Sheffield.... between late 70's - early 80's.... used to have US soul stuff delivered quite regularly.... remember once how a box of James Coit's Black Power (was that really played !!!!) was delivered in the early hours one weekend only to be "nicked" and later getting sold at the KGB niter in Sheffield.... sure this shop's still there....

Another local one that had a few of years selling soul was Record Collector (Broomhill, Sheffield).... still there but mainly CDs and collectable "other stuff" now though....

Oh.... to know what we know now with some of the stuff you just overlooked and cast aside back then.... whistling.gif :closedeyes:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Turntable 2 in Dursley, Turntable 1 in Stroud (creature of habit).

There was also a record shop next to the bus station in Gloucester. Funnily enough, despite Yate being just down the road from Bristol, I always had very little luck in finding anywhere in Bristol to buy a soul record.

I had the usual Soul Bowl, and Pat Brady lists, but does anyone remember Richard Domar 'booklets'?

I used to get them regularly then they just stopped coming all of a sudden.

Social source share

DOMINO RECORDS AND FL MOORES IN LUTON,EAST LANE MARKET SOUTHWARK,CLUB ROW,SOUL BOWL AND MARTIN KOPPELS LIST PRE-ANGLO-AMERICAN RARE RECORDS WERE A STAGGERING £5-£10 whistling.gif

Social source share

Moving the thread on to 'finds in record shops' and keeping it UK. What's your best 'day out'.

Mine? The summer of 72. With barely £10 between two of us, we could not afford the usual trip to Selectadisc and Rediffusion(the store that got The Prophets on Mercury released-True!) so, we stayed local and dropped into Hudsons, Chesterfield(Chalkster you were too young mate) where we found the owner 'clearing the decks' as it were. 10 minutes later we had our hands on 6 Jackie Edwards-Feel So Bad on Red/White Island! For some strange reason the store carried a lot of Jamaican orientated music for a 'white town'

Trying to get back to Mansfield by bus proved difficult(back then) and we had to detour via Alfreton(literally 300 yards from the Leisure Centre gig years later). Standing in the bus shelter we saw Mrs. Clifford of Cliffords a local TV/Record shop putting boxes of singles out for 25p.

We generally found the store to be fairly negative and lacking anything in previous visits.

Little Richard's on Columbia and whole feast of goodies came out of there. One thing I clearly remember was boxes of singles on Liberty. Idle Race, Bonzo Dog, Timi Yuro! Ouch!

A very pleasant fish supper that particular night!

Mick Smith......over to you.

Kev

ps I traded a Jackie Edwards for a Major Minor Los Canarios. Obviously these are worlds apart in value today, however I believe the LC 45 to be very under valued. I'm starting a new thread right now.............

Social source share

Just out of interest,when you first started buying/collecting where'd you get em from.

Deep in the last century (1972) when I first stumbled across Rare Soul,at the wonderful Pendulum,i don't remember too many lists apart from Brian 45 Philips,Soul Bowl(but I think that was a touch later) & the back page of Blues & Soul.

In Manchester we were a bit spoiled we had.

Ralphs (infamous)

Spin Inn

Hime & Addison

Rare Records

& Global, --that wasn't really a shop more a counter in a dusty old warehouse where you would be presented with a list of records at varying prices from £1 up.

I bought some nice stuff from there "blind" but I would love to see some of the lists now to see what was missed.

Ah memories(already fading)

Over to you.

Tony

you forgot

robinsons records

tony justs in the underground market

and spinn inn for new releases

and derek howe at hmv

mark

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Jumbos in the arcade, and Bostocks in the Merrion Centre, Leeds, early 70's. Dozens of copies of Kenny Smith "Lord whats happening" GAR for 25p Plus April Stevens, Tymes,Shalimars, Ambers, Dottie Cambridge Spyder Turner etc. In fact all the big Verve/MGM stuff of the time. The Central all-niters were full of 'em!! Also a guy called John Starkey had a bizzare 'shop' in Selby. Actually, it was an old pay-booth on an abandoned car park! He had a dansette plugged into the light fitting and a box of records, that was it, altho' there were two chairs outside for those waiting, as it could only fit one customer at a time! smile.gif

Social source share

Jumbos in the arcade, and Bostocks in the Merrion Centre, Leeds, early 70's. Dozens of copies of Kenny Smith "Lord whats happening" GAR for 25p Plus April Stevens, Tymes,Shalimars, Ambers, Dottie Cambridge Spyder Turner etc. In fact all the big Verve/MGM stuff of the time. The Central all-niters were full of 'em!! Also a guy called John Starkey had a bizzare 'shop' in Selby. Actually, it was an old pay-booth on an abandoned car park! He had a dansette plugged into the light fitting and a box of records, that was it, altho' there were two chairs outside for those waiting, as it could only fit one customer at a time!  :thumbsup:

link

Trev needs a thoroughly good night out. May I suggest Whitby, Stoke or Fleetwood you choose!

And whatever happened to Swish and the Museum Hall of Soul-SELBY!

Kevlomaniac

Social source share

Said my memory was fading Mark.

Also didn't mention Dave Withers & Rod Shard in Arndale Market or Market Stall on Shudehill that had about 50 copies of R.Dean Taylor "Let's Go Somewhere" on VIP

till it got played at Wigan...then it was gone

and the one in Stevenson Square.

Like I said memory's going

Tony

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Trev  needs a thoroughly good night out. May I suggest Whitby, Stoke or Fleetwood you choose!

Kevlomaniac

link

I have chosen-The LIFELINE at Sheridans, and the WILTON, both thoroughly great nights out!

Stoke????? I'm sure I heard something about it somewhere....... :thumbsup:

Social source share

I have chosen-The LIFELINE at Sheridans, and the WILTON, both thoroughly great nights out!

Stoke????? I'm sure I heard something about it somewhere....... :thumbsup:

link

Trev,

Its a pottery town with notorious football hooligans and a lot of smiley faces inside the famous Kings Hall.

Write out 100 times;

'I must get out to the more popular events'

Kevster x

Social source share

Guest Trevski

'I must get out to the more popular events''I must get out to the more popular events'

'I must get out to the more popular events''I must get out to the more popular events'

'I must get out to........sod it! :angry:

"I must go to progressive events that play new sounds, not oldies"

Quality, not quantity!! :thumbsup:wink.gif:thumbsup:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Being from Wheeling, West Virgina left me with few options, but I still managed to find some nice sounds at the Salvation Army and St. Vincent & DePaul Thrift stores. There were also a couple of stores that were just second hand stores with mostly junk, but some records. There was a family of hillbillies who were like the rulers of the junk in Wheeling. They would have junk stores in two or three locations at once. They ALWAYS had records. I would get all sorts of things from them, but one time, I bought a 45 tote full of nothing but late 60s promos and damn near all of them had the northern sound. Most of them were RCA and Date labels. My friend and I also had a shop we went to that we called "The No-Name Lady". She was this old woman who smoked with a scruffy voice and had a super old mother living with her. My friend and I used to go over to her place when we were 11 and 13 years old, at 7pm at night and really odd times, because she lived there. We thought her 50 cent and $1.00 45 prices were insane, but we would always work a deal with her. So, the old mother would smile and hang around while we looked through records and then we would go back into the house and line up by the living room door and take our turns cutting deals with her daughter, the owner. Haven't really thought about those times until now. Very interesting experience to go through to buy records. It was like going to the back room to talk to the boss.

But for the most part, I had to get the good stuff in Pittsburgh. I am close to Fred Bohn at the Attic Record store to this day. I bought Harvey on Tri-Phi from him at age 12 for a whopping $15.00 back in 1983, a year after he opened. It was my most expensive purchase at that time. The Harvey record was and still is in demand for its legendary cult status in Pittsburgh, thanks to DJs like Porky Chedwick. I also frequented Jerry's, where I once bumped into Mark "Butch" Dobson, who was picking up some 70s rarity on a tan United Artists label, which I believe was Nathan Williams. Also, when I was in college at West Virginia University in Morgantown, I was a regular at some flea markets and junk shops there. On my first trip there, I found Paul Sindab with the "Candy In the Sand" flip side and the Vontastics on Moon Shot. I also found Robert Taylor on Alteen and Robin Rice on Crackerjack.

Since 1996, I've lived in Baltimore and have gotten good black records of all sorts from anywhere and everywhere, such as an unplayed Carresors on Ru-jac, an excellent Cashmeres on Hem and an excellent Les Chansonettes on Shrine, just to name a few. I also got a few nice ones from Dave Withers while he briefly lived here in Baltimore. Dave is tops in my book for being very reasonable on price and just being a cool guy in general. He always showed up at my soul nights, despite the poor attendances.

Since I've been working at a printing company for the past year, I've managed to get 20,000 full color flyers printed up free, announcing that I'm seeking out records. I plan to stuff those into as many doorways as possible. I left a small pile out in a laundromat and got one call, which resulted in an excellent issue copy of Connie Questell on Decca. I'd better get moving on that! Keep on me about it, everyone. I'll get those flyers out and get some lists up as soon as I get a free moment. Then it'll be records for everyone! YEAH!

KTF

Jas

Social source share

Jumbos in the arcade, and Bostocks in the Merrion Centre, Leeds, early 70's. Dozens of copies of Kenny Smith "Lord whats happening" GAR for 25p Plus April Stevens, Tymes,Shalimars, Ambers, Dottie Cambridge Spyder Turner etc. In fact all the big Verve/MGM stuff of the time. The Central all-niters were full of 'em!! Also a guy called John Starkey had a bizzare 'shop' in Selby. Actually, it was an old pay-booth on an abandoned car park! He had a dansette plugged into the light fitting and a box of records, that was it, altho' there were two chairs outside for those waiting, as it could only fit one customer at a time!  :thumbsup:

link

What about Vallances, Trevski? Forgot about that one or too young? :thumbsup:

Jamie

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

you forgot

robinsons records

mark

link

I used to spend hours in there, still have quite a bit of what i bought at the time as nearly new albums :thumbsup:

John

Social source share

23rd Precinct in Glasgow did a lot of Modern in the 80s

Also saw the owner of 23rd at a Temps concert in Edinburgh.

Picked up most of my records at niters, with the odd jaunt down to just outside Kings Lynn, and picked up some from Jim & Barney when the went over the Pond.

The Barras was also a great place for picking up LPs and a record shop next to Paddy's market run by an English 60ts Mod (can't recall the name) sure the the guy came from Sheffield, helped me get started with a love for rare soul.

John.

Social source share

What about Vallances, Trevski? Forgot about that one or too young?  :thumbsup:

Jamie

link

Vallances just up from the Central, there was also another shop further up & also

one on Boar Lane(cannot remember the name)

Had some good days out in Leeds with Trevski in the early 70s but the place was Bostocks in the arcade D Cambridge, A Stevens, B Webb, loads a verve &

W/Bros Triumphs, + Rat Race that was the big sound @ the Central on Friday Night & the allnighters, even got a few copies of P Parfitt on beacon.

The guy who had it opened a shop in York a few years later & one Friday we found

large quantity of Blue Kenny smith issues on GAR for 20p, sold them @ the oldies Nighter that night.

Nobody has mentioned Record Haven in Nottingham, now who ran that???? :thumbsup:

All the best from NZ Ian

Social source share

Vallances just up from the Central, there was also another shop further up & also

one on Boar Lane(cannot remember the name)

Had some good days out in Leeds with Trevski in the early 70s but the place was Bostocks in the arcade D Cambridge, A Stevens, B Webb, loads a verve &

W/Bros Triumphs, + Rat Race that was the big sound @ the Central on Friday Night & the allnighters, even got a few copies of P Parfitt on beacon.

The guy who had it opened a shop in York a few years later & one Friday we found

large quantity of Blue Kenny smith issues on GAR for 20p, sold them @ the oldies Nighter that night.

Nobody has mentioned Record Haven in Nottingham, now who ran that???? :thumbsup:

All the best from NZ Ian

link

Ian,

If anyone bought records from Record Haven I suggest they send me a crate of champagne. I was the lowest price dealer on the planet in the 70's.

Social source share

'I must get out to........sod it! :angry:

Quality, not quantity!! :thumbsup:   wink.gif   :thumbsup:

link

Trev dude ...remember all those great oldies...c'mon let's sing two of them in harmony...after 3 1,2...

'tempatioshuns a calling my name'

'ive had it, you got it, now the whole world is talking about it'

Feels good don't it?

ps younger readers note; there's 2 tickets for a KRL event for identifying the songs.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Trev dude ...remember all those great oldies...c'mon let's sing two of them in harmony...after 3  1,2...

'tempatioshuns a calling my name'

'ive had it, you got it, now the whole world is talking about it'

Feels good don't it?

ps younger readers note; there's 2 tickets for a KRL event for identifying the songs.

link

:thumbsup::thumbsup:wink.gif LOL!!! Nice one Kev!

Seriously, I'm not against oldies completely, but I remember the first time I heard 'em, and the buzz I got from hearing something I had never heard before! I have never lost the thirst for hearing new stuff, although at home I listen to oldies, when I go out I want to hear newies if possible. Some people go to oldies do's to relive the old days, and get that buzz. Well to me the 'buzz' was not from the records I new, but from the anticipation of hearing one I didn't!

Kev, we all differ in taste about everything, food, women, clothes, why should the scene be any different? Good luck to you and your promotions, I respect your business acumen, and what you provide pleases a lot of folks, as your attendances prove, but it's not for me. Your events ar very popular, but popularity isn't what I got into the scene for. If I wanted popular I would have gone to clubs that played 'popular music'-the average niteclub scene. I got into the scene because I wanted more than what was on offer to the mainstream public, and your events are 'mainstream' Northern to me. But hey, different strokes and all that! Lets agree to differ, rather than agree to disagree, yes?? :D

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Do any Londoners of a certain age remember Terrence Stokes' stall in Carnaby Market (now Boots the Chemist) in the early 1980s? I remember buying so many good records from there (and also a fair deal of dross, it must be said).

He briefly moved into a proper shop around the corner (Newburgh Street?) for a few months in about 1984. I bought a copy of Purple Mundi on Cat for £6 or £7 from him there.

Where is he now?

Also, an incredibly fertile hunting ground was Stan Brennan's Rocks Off shop in Hanway Street. Boxes of 45s left in by Ady C, Ian Clark, Val Palmer etc. Tons of good records, and the bonus of being served by Shane MacGowan too!

Rock On in Camden Town was a literally amazing shop for more mainstream soul. There was a whole box of just Bobby Bland singles for example, with nothing more than £2 a pop. I remember my brother buying Margie Joseph's "One More Chance" on Volt there for 60p in 1983.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

:thumbsup:   :thumbsup:   wink.gif LOL!!! Nice one Kev!

Seriously, I'm not against oldies completely, but I remember the first time I heard 'em, and the buzz I got from hearing something I had never heard before! I have never lost the thirst for hearing new stuff, although at home I listen to oldies, when I go out I want to hear newies if possible. Some people go to oldies do's to relive the old days, and get that buzz. Well to me the 'buzz' was not from the records I new, but from the anticipation of hearing one I didn't!

Kev, we all differ in taste about everything, food, women, clothes, why should the scene be any different? Good luck to you and your promotions, I respect your business acumen, and what you provide pleases a lot of folks, as your attendances prove, but it's not for me. Your events ar very popular, but popularity isn't  what I got into the scene for. If I wanted popular I would have gone to clubs that played 'popular music'-the average niteclub scene. I got into the scene because I wanted more than what was on offer to the mainstream public, and your events are 'mainstream' Northern to me. But hey, different strokes and all that! Lets agree to differ, rather than agree to disagree, yes?? :D

link

Top Man Trev. Thumbsup!

By the way, I like Italian, Big Busted Brunettes and Hugo Boss and good ol' fashioned stompers like 'I'm In A World Of Trouble'-The Sweet Things.

The Central, 1973 with Kegsy and Andy Simpson, two of my favourite Yorkshiremen. Ah happy days.

ps I do like plenty of new tackle too!

Social source share

Do any Londoners of a certain age remember Terrence Stokes' stall in Carnaby Market (now Boots the Chemist) in the early 1980s? I remember buying so many good records from there (and also a fair deal of dross, it must be said).

I remember getting a load of stuff from the stall at the time, and yes buying blind meant a load of s***e as well, but that was half the fun. No idea where he's gone now. I've a little place in the States that I pick up great toons from for a few dollars, although harder now due to ebay etc. I the past i've picked up Bobby Paris demos, Mind & Matter, OC Smith, Martha Starr, Thelma Houston, Theresa Lindsay to name but a few.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Top Man Trev.  Thumbsup!

By the way, I like Italian, Big Busted Brunettes and Hugo Boss and good ol' fashioned stompers like 'I'm In A World Of Trouble'-The Sweet Things.

The Central, 1973 with Kegsy and Andy Simpson, two of my favourite Yorkshiremen. Ah happy days.

link

There we go! Mexican, small breasted brunettes, Ralph Lauren/Abercrombie and Patrinel Statten for me!! On the Central tho' couldn't agree more! Funny old world, ain't it! :thumbsup:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest Trevski

On the vinyl thread, what was the name of the stall in the indoor market bit, attached to the Merrion Centre??? Some good stuff out of there too.

P.S.

Ian,

If your still online out there in NZ land, ANSWER YOUR E-MAILS!!!!!!!!!!

we miss you buddy, get in touch SOON!

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!