Framing Records - Does Anyone Do This Or Had It Done?

Guest Jamie

It's my Dad's 60th this year and I'm wanting to put maybe 3 of his favourite records along with ticket stubs/flyers/crowd & venue images as a background. Size I would imagine somewhere between A2 - A1 (probably Imperial?)

Does anyone on here do this or recommend someone that does? I've done a quick search on here and can't seem to find a relevant topic.

I'd also be looking to source either original ticket/membership card/flyers (cost permitting) or high-res scans.

Venues I'm looking for stuff on are Leeds Central, Mecca (Highland Room), Cleethorpes Pier allnighter & Morecambe Pier allnighter.

If anyone has any photos of the framed records they could post up on here I'd really appreciate to give me some ideas/inspiration.

His birthday isn't til September so I've probably got just enough time to do it!

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

Social source share

Guest scottie

jamie that framer near where your old man lives in whitkirk will do it the one near "the devon" pub is a bit pricey bout does a good job

Social source share

jamie that framer near where your old man lives in whitkirk will do it the one near "the devon" pub is a bit pricey bout does a good job

Ah yeah, Kingswear Gallery I think it is? I might pop in at some point.

I was hoping someone on here might do them, that way they might 'understand' what I was trying to achieve.

Cheers.

Social source share

I have made up quite a few framed records, both 45's & LP's.

.......... there are 2 different ways to go ...........

It's easy to buy 8" x 8" or 12" x 12" square frames and records look great in these.

HOWEVER .... if you want more than just the record in the frame, it's best to go for rectangular frames.

An LP record with the front sleeve cover alongside it looks great but the frame has to be BIG to achieve this (24" x 12").

With a 45 its a lot easier as the size is more manageable. So a 12" x 8" or 15" x 8" frame is fine.

I have framed up 3 x 78's + 1 x 45 that I have had hanging in the living room for over 20 years ......

+ I made this one up (framed LP) about 12 years back as a prize at a weekender (photo awful as light is reflecting back off glass) .....

The ones I have done more recently are a lot more colourful (we just about all decent printers at home now)

post-22122-0-94943200-1358178284_thumb.j

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have made up quite a few framed records, both 45's & LP's.

.......... there are 2 different ways to go ...........

It's easy to buy 8" x 8" or 12" x 12" square frames and records look great in these.

HOWEVER .... if you want more than just the record in the frame, it's best to go for rectangular frames.

An LP record with the front sleeve cover alongside it looks great but the frame has to be BIG to achieve this (24" x 12").

With a 45 its a lot easier as the size is more manageable. So a 12" x 8" or 15" x 8" frame is fine.

I have framed up 3 x 78's + 1 x 45 that I have had hanging in the living room for over 20 years ......

+ I made this one up (framed LP) about 12 years back as a prize at a weekender (photo awful as light is reflecting back off glass) .....

The ones I have done more recently are a lot more colourful (we just about all decent printers at home now)

Thanks for your reply. You made a nice job of the Major Lance test press.

I was thinking of something rectangular - to be able to cover the clubs that he went to & include 2 or 3 records - make it a bit more personal than just a novelty 'NS' picture that you'd pick up on ebay.

Social source share

There are still a few ways to go........ you can place the memorabilia on first (haphazard or in line) and then put the 45 over the top so that it obscures some of the club cards / ads ...........

.................. OR ...........

you can get a frame mount with a cut out in it. Arrange the memorabilia to show thru the cut out & then have the record sit above that.

Plenty of different options to consider .........

Here's examples of what I've done in the past .....

..... haphazardly placed Soul City memorabilia; 45 placed in hole in photo mount card with record company brass plate @ bottom;

or another idea that works well is to place the 45 over a copy of the song's sheet music (Bobby Hebb 45) .......

post-22122-0-54662300-1358181205_thumb.j

post-22122-0-15913900-1358181346_thumb.j

post-22122-0-27863200-1358181351_thumb.j

Social source share

Jamie,

I'd make a back board out of hardboard covered in Felt, you should be able to pick it up at any haberdashery.

The records and memorabilia will 'pop' against the background, and it also gives you something a bit easier to mount them on,

You can get decent box frames from Ikea in allsorts of sizes these days, that already have pre-cut mounts in.

Social source share

There are still a few ways to go........ you can place the memorabilia on first (haphazard or in line) and then put the 45 over the top so that it obscures some of the club cards / ads ...........

.................. OR ...........

you can get a frame mount with a cut out in it. Arrange the memorabilia to show thru the cut out & then have the record sit above that.

Plenty of different options to consider .........

Here's examples of what I've done in the past .....

..... haphazardly placed Soul City memorabilia; 45 placed in hole in photo mount card with record company brass plate @ bottom;

or another idea that works well is to place the 45 over a copy of the song's sheet music (Bobby Hebb 45) .......

Thanks for that - a nice bit of variation.

I've looked on line at framed generic records and I like effect of the single set into mountboard. That's probably the route I'll go down I think. Thanks again.

Social source share

Jamie,

I'd make a back board out of hardboard covered in Felt, you should be able to pick it up at any haberdashery.

The records and memorabilia will 'pop' against the background, and it also gives you something a bit easier to mount them on,

You can get decent box frames from Ikea in allsorts of sizes these days, that already have pre-cut mounts in.

Cheers Joe.

Yeah I like the background/mountboard effect. Although with my skills it'd look like something a 6 year old brought home from school...

I've got a bit of time so I might start a 'project' so to speak.

Social source share

ive got tons of sheet music framed [fronts] but ive never thought to do that!

and jamie i think its really important to get the frame right it makes the difference between looking great or looking tacky...

Social source share

I have some of my fav albums in frames...

Urban outfitters do the lp frames and pretty nice too in plain black with glass too.... Around £10 each, can use them for other stuff too, 45s and ticket stubbs, flyers etc.... Its a chain store i guess??? on Market st in Manchester... Maybe there is one in Leeds..

Hope that helps mate...

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

and jamie i think its really important to get the frame right it makes the difference between looking great or looking tacky...

The good thing about my method is that you can scan the 1st music page of the sheet music & use the scan as the backing to the 45.

That way, if the front picture is great, you can frame that as a separate item.

Social source share

It's really easy Jamie, Just buy a frame the size that you want (Charity shops always have em, and cheap) Take the back off and situate the records, flyers ect where you want them to be on the glass, then put the back back on. The records should hold in place due to the pressure of the back onto the them, maybe use a little adhesive or blue tack to hold the flyers in place. Remember you can always take the back off again and adjust the layout if you're not happy with it. Also it's a good idea to find a nice colour piece of card as the backing for the records, flyers.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Edited by Steve Luigi
Social source share

I wouldn't recomend framing records of any value, especially those with light coloured labels. About 1982/3 I bought a small batch of three Stateside demos of Jimmy James / A Man Like Me, all different label variations. I framed them and had them up on various walls for nearly 30 years. About 18 months ago I needed to get to them to do scans for a post on here, and noticed that the labels had began to fade (I only noticed because I had put each of the records inside sleeves, and the edges hadn't faded, giving an odd looking contrast).

Here's one of the three, other Two were thes same, although this looks to be the most faded ...

post-4623-0-77767600-1358224827_thumb.jp

OK, so these are after 30 years and not that bad, and hardly irreplaceable. Imagine if it were the 4 Demos of Darrell Banks, or The F word on Soul.

I suppose if you can keep it out of any sunlight and they were just black and white labels, you should be OK.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

The mountboard is a fooker to cut, even with the right tools, so I'd go for pre-cut if you can get it.

Definitely.

I think it's a case of deciding with or without frame, then like you say picking a smart frame.

It's really easy Jamie, Just buy a frame the size that you want (Charity shops always have em, and cheap) Take the back off and situate the records, flyers ect where you want them to be on the glass, then put the back back on. The records should hold in place due to the pressure of the back onto the them, maybe use a little adhesive or blue tack to hold the flyers in place. Remember you can always take the back off again and adjust the layout if you're not happy with it. Also it's a good idea to find a nice colour piece of card as the backing for the records, flyers.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Cheers Steve. I think I'll see how much it costs for someone to do it properly, then once I've recovered from the shock, do it myself :D

Social source share

It's my Dad's 60th this year and I'm wanting to put maybe 3 of his favourite records along with ticket stubs/flyers/crowd & venue images as a background. Size I would imagine somewhere between A2 - A1 (probably Imperial?)

Does anyone on here do this or recommend someone that does? I've done a quick search on here and can't seem to find a relevant topic.

I'd also be looking to source either original ticket/membership card/flyers (cost permitting) or high-res scans.

Venues I'm looking for stuff on are Leeds Central, Mecca (Highland Room), Cleethorpes Pier allnighter & Morecambe Pier allnighter.

If anyone has any photos of the framed records they could post up on here I'd really appreciate to give me some ideas/inspiration.

His birthday isn't til September so I've probably got just enough time to do it!

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

Hi Jamie, It might be worth you're while contacting mark, Goes under HALIFAXFREESOUL on here he does some really nice framed disc's!!.well worth a PM I would have thought. Hope you get sorted Atb John.

Social source share

I wouldn't recomend framing records of any value, especially those with light coloured labels. About 1982/3 I bought a small batch of three Stateside demos of Jimmy James / A Man Like Me, all different label variations. I framed them and had them up on various walls for nearly 30 years. About 18 months ago I needed to get to them to do scans for a post on here, and noticed that the labels had began to fade (I only noticed because I had put each of the records inside sleeves, and the edges hadn't faded, giving an odd looking contrast).

Here's one of the three, other Two were thes same, although this looks to be the most faded ...

post-4623-0-77767600-1358224827_thumb.jp

OK, so these are after 30 years and not that bad, and hardly irreplaceable. Imagine if it were the 4 Demos of Darrell Banks, or The F word on Soul.

I suppose if you can keep it out of any sunlight and they were just black and white labels, you should be OK.

Cheers

Mick

Hi Mick,

They won't be expensive - it's for my dad :D

I was going to use 2 or 3 7", but now I'm thinking maybe 3 or 4. I was hoping to pick a record that he associated with each of the clubs I mentioned.

So far I've got:

Leeds Central - Kim Weston - Helpless on Gordy.

Mecca - YHU - California Montage on Brunswick

Cleethorpes - not sure yet

Morecambe - either Cheryl Berdell or Curtis

Social source share

Hi Jamie, It might be worth you're while contacting mark, Goes under HALIFAXFREESOUL on here he does some really nice framed disc's!!.well worth a PM I would have thought. Hope you get sorted Atb John.

Thanks, John.

I'll drop him a line.

Cheers.

Social source share

Hi Mick,

I was going to use 2 or 3 7", but now I'm thinking maybe 3 or 4. I was hoping to pick a record that he associated with each of the clubs I mentioned.

jamie i was going to say last night but wernt sure if theyd be open hmv hasve got some nice large frames for 20 quid with a thickish black edge ive forgotten the size but big enough to do 4 singles and more stuff, i need one for a large poster i want framed it will do me perfectly if i were to do that in my framing shop it would cost me double that

Social source share

jamie i was going to say last night but wernt sure if theyd be open hmv hasve got some nice large frames for 20 quid with a thickish black edge ive forgotten the size but big enough to do 4 singles and more stuff, i need one for a large poster i want framed it will do me perfectly if i were to do that in my framing shop it would cost me double that

I'll have a look & see if they've shut the doors completely, hopefully they might be having a 'sell off'. Thanks for the tip.

Social source share

I popped in there today and was quoted somewhere between £100-£150 for 4no singles set in mountboard & framing. There was a really nice signed 72 cup final shirt mounted with ticket stub & programme in there that I used for sizing.

Does anyone think that sounds reasonable?

Social source share

Guest scottie

I popped in there today and was quoted somewhere between £100-£150 for 4no singles set in mountboard & framing. There was a really nice signed 72 cup final shirt mounted with ticket stub & programme in there that I used for sizing.

Does anyone think that sounds reasonable?

i thought he`d be about that jamie but he does do a good job
Social source share

• 9 months later...

Just a follow-on from my posts earlier this year. I bit the bullet and paid for it doing properly as I knew I'd make a complete hash of it if I tried myself.

Big thanks to Pete Dillon and everyone else who offered help & advice.

He was really pleased with and it's in the process of getting hung in his office.

I've attached a few images for those interested.

post-1261-0-03226500-1382464260_thumb.jp

post-1261-0-81268600-1382464273_thumb.jp

post-1261-0-29697600-1382464290_thumb.jp

post-1261-0-51198300-1382464303_thumb.jp

post-1261-0-51187000-1382464319_thumb.jp

Social source share

Just a follow-on from my posts earlier this year. I bit the bullet and paid for it doing properly as I knew I'd make a complete hash of it if I tried myself.

Big thanks to Pete Dillon and everyone else who offered help & advice.

He was really pleased with and it's in the process of getting hung in his office.

I've attached a few images for those interested.

attachicon.gifIMG_0215a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0216a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0217a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0218a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0219a.jpg

Nice one Jamie , nice thought too  :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Nice one Jamie , nice thought too  :hatsoff2:

Cheers. I thought it'd make a change from taking him out and having nothing to show but a sore head in the morning. :D

Social source share

Cheers. I thought it'd make a change from taking him out and having nothing to show but a sore head in the morning. :D

Actually Jamie , I've been buying a few classic Motown related demos so I can have them mounted , then I thought I may do a Detroit /Chicago/Philly/New York ones , using non expensive records of course  :lol:

Cheers

Swifty :wink:

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Don,t  if anyone is interested in framing albums sleeves or the records themselves but if anyone is they are selling ready made frames for this at £2,99 in Home Bargains.

Thanks a million for that!

I usually get mine from Urban Outfitter for a lot more than £2.99!!

That's my day off sorted :thumbsup: 

Social source share

Couldn't find them on Home Bargains website :g:

Paid fiver each for 12" x 12" from shop in London, not very robust but fine just for the 12" / Album covers & do look great on the wall :thumbsup:

The Home Bargains  website shows bugger all really not worth a w**k , they are on sale in store even in backwater Rotherham :yes:  

Social source share

The Home Bargains  website shows bugger all really not worth a w**k , they are on sale in store even in backwater Rotherham :yes:  

Never even heard of the shop to be honest, ah just googled 'em, nothing near enough to make it worthwhile. Ah well have to carry on paying the exorbitant cost of £5 :ohmy: or get them through the post from "find me a gift" :thumbsup:  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Never even heard of the shop to be honest, ah just googled 'em, nothing near enough to make it worthwhile. Ah well have to carry on paying the exorbitant cost of £5 :ohmy: or get them through the post from "find me a gift" :thumbsup:  

Home Bargains must only be in Poundland towns :wicked: which is a shame because some nice bargains to be had all across the store , I,ll have to stop saying we,ve f**k all in Rotherham :thumbsup:   

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have em framed all the time to use as raffle prizes at our charity events at the kellingley soul club , look great , a guy called John on pontefract market does em for me , very professional , he uses double sided tape also so they don't move anywhere and he doesn't charge the earth , get yer self down to see him , well worth it , regards toc

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!